Ok now that Fisher is gone?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
With all due respect, I don't feel like that's an accurate statement. David Shaw is 2-2 in BCS Bowls and 3-0 in the Pac-12 Championship Game in his career at Stanford.

How do we know? Many would have said Jim Harbaugh isn't that category before his NFL success. Shaw's winning percentage at Stanford is about as good as Harbaugh's at Michigan. I'm not going to compare Shaw and Harbaugh at Stanford because that's not fair to Harbaugh.

But Shaw has been wildly successful at Stanford. And runs pro style schemes on both sides of the ball. I cannot agree at all with the implication that Shaw doesn't know how to win.

Urban Meyer isn't a guy who will ever end up in the NFL.(imo) He doesn't run pro style schemes, and his strongest attribute is his ability to recruit. Don't get me wrong, he's as good of a college coach as you can find. But he's the type of guy whose game doesn't translate to the Pros.

If Shaw became The Rams coach , I'd just give up being a Rams fan for sure.
That said I don't believe that will even be close to the case.
-- Stanford is on the decline & Shaw will be hard pressed to find very many wins.In my book he closes up during a led.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Shaw became The Rams coach , I'd just give up being a Rams fan for sure.
That said I don't believe that will even be close to the case.
-- Stanford is on the decline & Shaw will be hard pressed to find very many wins.In my book he closes up during a led.

That's odd. You dislike Shaw that much? I strongly dislike McDaniels, but I'll still root for the team if he's hired.

I also don't see Stanford as a team on the decline. They're 5-0 since Keller Chryst took over as starting QB. He has 9 TDs to 1 Int over that stretch. And they have the #1 HS QB in the nation committed to playing there next year.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Well -- let's just say then. I''m not a big fan of David Shaw !! He just does not win the big games.
Niner fans say that about Harbaugh , but I think Jim Harbaugh is a different bred & heck off a coach. He gets the most out of his players & they buy in !!

Pete Carrol is the opposite. He was more of an NFL that coached at USC !! He is the perfect raw raw guy.He probably coached one of the best defensive teams in the Niners.Dion Sanders was on his prime .
Want to stay with The Stanford Tree Bill Walsh was one of a kind.
Coryell had Maddon & Fred Dryer with him. A very special time.
Bobby Ross was a military coach who went to GT. Some good times.
Denny Green ? Don't really recall.
DV at ucla was back in the day when things were different. The game has changed.He changed with the game, but never could see him back in college after Philly.
Jimmy Johnson -- was top of the top !! His teams were amazing.He knew how to coach players with attitudes . M. Irvining was a special player for him.

T. Coughlin might be a good hire for 2 years,but I don't recall his college coaching off hand.

---David Shaw is not in that category !! Talk recent years.The guy from Ohio State ?? I. Myers ?? There is a solid coach. He knows how to win !!!

Coughlin coached at my alma matter Boston College. He was great, wish we still had him.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
But again I want to see the Rams cast a wide net and leave no stone unturned

This ^^^^^^^^

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Anyone but Gruden. Can't stand him.
Really? I would pay good money to see Chuckie on the sideline wearing Rams gear.
5696471748907.image.jpg

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That's odd. You dislike Shaw that much? I strongly dislike McDaniels, but I'll still root for the team if he's hired.

I also don't see Stanford as a team on the decline. They're 5-0 since Keller Chryst took over as starting QB. He has 9 TDs to 1 Int over that stretch. And they have the #1 HS QB in the nation committed to playing there next year.

I guess I really did not follow college football really at all this season. Did watch USC the last 3 games.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Some how I foresee us landing Gruden, & I can't get behind him. Its just my gut feeling. Gruden strikes me as overrated. I really don't think he's a QB genius and too me I think he's F**K up more then he's developed. His "I can get a QB anywhere crap" doesn't seat well w/ me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess I really did not follow college football really at all this season. Did watch USC the last 3 games.

I'm not saying you're definitely wrong. It's hard to predict these things. I just am surprised you hold such a low opinion of Shaw.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm not saying you're definitely wrong. It's hard to predict these things. I just am surprised you hold such a low opinion of Shaw.
I like his onsite sometimes on draft day.
He is a solid college coach.Les Miles does draft shows as well.
Don't think of Shaw as a NFL coach

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Kroenke and Demoff are going to go for a big splash. They need to sell PSLs and a big name coach will generate buzz and get fans minds off the horrible season. I think Harbaugh and Gruden will be the top two targets.

If it were my team David Shaw would be number 1, followed by Shanahan, and Patricia. If Marvin Lewis gets fired he moves to number 1 in the list.
I'm not sold on Shaw as a HC right out of college. Yeah - I know he has NFL experience but not much and not enough for me to want to see him as our HC.

I actually like the idea of Mike Shanahan if he can get Kyle as his heir apparent. Kyle is still only 37. I would have to guess that he will learn more about the HC position working with pops (because pops will want to pass the baton) than he would under anyone else. He can learn knowing that he is next in line if the Rams do well. If I'm Mike, I would gladly work that deal knowing that I will step aside for my son in a few years and head into retirement knowing my legacy has truly been passed on. Freaking Hollywood story right there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sold on Shaw as a HC right out of college. Yeah - I know he has NFL experience but not much and not enough for me to want to see him as our HC.

I understand. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. It's always difficult to evaluate whether a college HC will make a good NFL HC. However, I think Shaw is a somewhat easier evaluation because he worked under Jim Harbaugh, he spent 9 years in the NFL as an assistant, and he runs pro style schemes on both sides of the ball in college.

I understand the apprehension, but I will say that I think he's a relatively safe choice. He's one of the few guys we'll be able to consider who has been a highly successful head coach (albeit not at the NFL level).

But you can never 100% know how a guy will handle being a NFL HC.

I actually like the idea of Mike Shanahan if he can get Kyle as his heir apparent. Kyle is still only 37. I would have to guess that he will learn more about the HC position working with pops (because pops will want to pass the baton) than he would under anyone else. He can learn knowing that he is next in line if the Rams do well. If I'm Mike, I would gladly work that deal knowing that I will step aside for my son in a few years and head into retirement knowing my legacy has truly been passed on. Freaking Hollywood story right there.

I think if this sort of situation happens, it would be Mike joining the team as President of Football Operations with Kyle being the Head Coach. I can't see Kyle taking a job at this point that isn't a Head Coach position. And I don't think Atlanta would let us hire him as our OC. We have to offer the HC position or else they can block us from hiring him.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Shaw was Harbaugh's OC at Stanford. Shaw served as qb coach on Harbaugh's staff at San Diego, moving on with him and being promoted to OC. Shaw was promoted to HC at Stanford when Harbaugh left for the 49'er job.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And I don't think Atlanta would let us hire him as our OC. We have to offer the HC position or else they can block us from hiring him.
Good point and you're probably right. I hadn't thought about that aspect.

FRO

Legend

Will Kyle take that deal though? He's got an opportunity to be a HC now, why wait for something that may not come to pass. I wouldn't mind Mike, but it depends on how much power he wants. I wouldn't give him anything more than the HC position.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What about Mike Shanahan and bring in Kyle as OC.
He's under contract with Atlanta, they wont let him go, they don't have to let him go.
Only way he can leave is for a promotion to HC