OBJ surgery / contract status

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If a team was going to sign him to a "big" contract, I wish they'd do it soon so the Rams get the benefit of the comp pick formula

MarkyMark

Rams fan for Life!!
Name
Mark
I really believe that OBJ will sign with us, as I think we have every intention on signing him. He's really happy here, and my gut tells me he's already agreed to stay. Just my thought. He knows we're running that shit back!!

dang

Legend
“Money money money money, money.
Some people got to have it.
Some people really need it.
Listen to me why'all, do things, do things, do bad things with it.
You want to do things, do things, do things, good things with it.
Talk about cash money, money.
Talk about cash money- dollar bills, why'all”

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm not a HIPAA expert, but I do know that it doesn't apply to everyone/every organization. Would it actually be a HIPAA violation? (Off topic nerd time. Yeah!)

That he had surgery, no.

Any details I think at the very least is a gray area and likely a HIPAA violation. I recall awhile back, a player threatened to sue his team for disclosing his surgery status beyond naming the procedure.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I really believe that OBJ will sign with us, as I think we have every intention on signing him. He's really happy here, and my gut tells me he's already agreed to stay. Just my thought. He knows we're running that shit back!!

I believe OBJ was well on his way to super bowl MVP if he hadn't gotten injured. Of course that just gave Super Cooper a chance to be the man in the 4th quarter.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I believe OBJ was well on his way to super bowl MVP if he hadn't gotten injured. Of course that just gave Super Cooper a chance to be the man in the 4th quarter.
Entirely possible. He was lighting it up. He looked completely uncover-able.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Bengals would have adjusted coverage. He only had two catches for 52 yards and a TD. That’s not really uncoverable.

I think the SB MVP talk is agent driven. It’s more likely that the Bengals make adjustments and then AD or Stafford are MVP

Rams43

Hall of Fame
My take on OBJ is fairly simple.

I would love to have him in this O with Kupp and Robinson while Stafford is at QB. Would be a nightmare to defend. So I would describe OBJ as a ‘strong want’.

But he is not a ‘must have’. If he is gonna be unreasonable with his demands then Rams can afford to let him walk and still be just fine at WR and TE. Still would bring a potent passing attack.

Rams are in the drivers seat either way it seems to me.

My current concerns are circling around Edge and CB in terms of proven quality starters. OBJ is kinda on the back burner for me.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
My take on OBJ is fairly simple.

I would love to have him in this O with Kupp and Robinson while Stafford is at QB. Would be a nightmare to defend. So I would describe OBJ as a ‘strong want’.

But he is not a ‘must have’. If he is gonna be unreasonable with his demands then Rams can afford to let him walk and still be just fine at WR and TE. Still would bring a potent passing attack.

Rams are in the drivers seat either way it seems to me.

My current concerns are circling around Edge and CB in terms of proven quality starters. OBJ is kinda on the back burner for me.
OBJ’s knee is better than ever now. Plus he was a happy camper and a good soldier, so no team needs to have any trepidation about signing him to a big contract.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
OBJ’s knee is better than ever now. Plus he was a happy camper and a good soldier, so no team needs to have any trepidation about signing him to a big contract.
We don't know that and neither do other teams. "The surgery was a success" does not equal 'better than ever'. It means he should be fine with proper rehab and no set backs. Every team should have trepidation when considering a long term deal and guaranteed money (including the Rams).

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
The Bengals would have adjusted coverage. He only had two catches for 52 yards and a TD. That’s not really uncoverable.

I think the SB MVP talk is agent driven. It’s more likely that the Bengals make adjustments and then AD or Stafford are MVP

No disrespect to Super Cooper, but OBJ had 2 catches for 52 yards and a TD with less than a half of work. I was in Las Vegas for the Super Bowl and I had wagered $100 on OBJ, Kupp and AD to win MVP. AD had the highest odds but I still did good with Kupp.

If OBJ had matched his first half performance in the second half, he would have had better stats than Super Cooper.

I actually wanted AD to win MVP because it was 10-1.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No disrespect to Super Cooper, but OBJ had 2 catches for 52 yards and a TD with less than a half of work. I was in Las Vegas for the Super Bowl and I had wagered $100 on OBJ, Kupp and AD to win MVP. AD had the highest odds but I still did good with Kupp.

If OBJ had matched his first half performance in the second half, he would have had better stats than Super Cooper.

I actually wanted AD to win MVP because it was 10-1.
I still think the Bengals would have changed coverages and given Odell more attention thus splitting up the passes more evenly. In that case it’s either Stafford or AD.

I think AD should have been MVP of the Super bowl and the season.

What Kupp did was more impressive than OBJ beating lighter coverage. Kupp didn’t turn it on because the Bengals decided to give him less attention.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I don't know what to think about OBJ.

He could be signed by another team to a multi year deal with guaranteed money (more money than the Rams)?

Chances are good because his knee is better than it's ever been?

Yet he excelled only because teams were keying on Kupp?

He's going to be all about the money, not winning?

Some conflicting angles there, eh?

oldnotdead

Legend
I see both OBJ and Michel returning. I think they will trade for an edge. I find it interesting that the Vikings talked about Hunter being on the block for a week and then restructured to get under the cap. But the structure of the new deal looks like a trade is in the offing. I think the Rams with O'Connell as the new HC have an inside track. Since the Rams don't have a first round pick I see it as including a player and the most obvious is Lewis or Hollins and maybe a second round pick next year. The Vikes get to clear their cap and a very good prospect. The Rams get a good edge for the next 4 years.

I think they are waiting on the draft to finish AD's contract which should clear enough cap for OBJ, Michel, and someone like Hunter. I see it happening quickly after the draft. IMO the contracts and the trade have all been worked out they only need to be signed.

Wagner, OBJ, Michel, and Robinson alone would be an outstanding off-season. Adding someone like Hunter would be over the top.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If a team was going to sign him to a "big" contract, I wish they'd do it soon so the Rams get the benefit of the comp pick formula
Excellent Point here in this discussion!

Spotrac has guesstimated OBJ's Market Value to be close to
  • Avg. Salary: $13,179,995 Million

If a team were to sign OBJ before the conclusion of the draft close to the $$$ figure ..say $13 mil. listed above it might end up being projected close to a 4th rd 2023 comp pick award. Rams were awarded a 4th rd pick for JJ III this draft when he signed an $11 million Avg. Salary.

Rams top 2022 UFA losses have been:
Von Miller $20 million = Projected 5th rd 2023 comp pick award.
Darious Williams $10 Avg. Salary/ minus out -Signing of UFA Allen Robinson canceled his inclusion.
Austin Corbett $8.8 Avg. Salary= Projected 5th rd 2023 comp pick award.
Sebastian Day $8 mil Avg. Salary= Projected 5th rd 2023 pick award.
Og Okoronkwo $3.24 mil. Avg Aalary =

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I see both OBJ and Michel returning. I think they will trade for an edge. I find it interesting that the Vikings talked about Hunter being on the block for a week and then restructured to get under the cap. But the structure of the new deal looks like a trade is in the offing. I think the Rams with O'Connell as the new HC have an inside track. Since the Rams don't have a first round pick I see it as including a player and the most obvious is Lewis or Hollins and maybe a second round pick next year. The Vikes get to clear their cap and a very good prospect. The Rams get a good edge for the next 4 years.

I think they are waiting on the draft to finish AD's contract which should clear enough cap for OBJ, Michel, and someone like Hunter. I see it happening quickly after the draft. IMO the contracts and the trade have all been worked out they only need to be signed.

Wagner, OBJ, Michel, and Robinson alone would be an outstanding off-season. Adding someone like Hunter would be over the top.
I'm not so sure about trading for Hunter. He carries a dead money hit of 29 mil if the Vikings trade him. Isn't very cap-sound. And he's costly the next 3 years. Plus, the Rams don't typically trade for players on their second contract. Peters, Fowler and Ramsey were all towards the end of their rookie deals. Talib was inexpensive and Stafford played the most important position. I just don't see it

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
I'm not so sure about trading for Hunter. He carries a dead money hit of 29 mil if the Vikings trade him. Isn't very cap-sound. And he's costly the next 3 years. Plus, the Rams don't typically trade for players on their second contract. Peters, Fowler and Ramsey were all towards the end of their rookie deals. Talib was inexpensive and Stafford played the most important position. I just don't see it
Yeah I agree. I don’t see how the structure of the new Hunter deal makes a trade attractive. And why would Minnesota want to clear cap at this point? They are under the cap now and there are very few ‘desirable’ high value free agents out there that would warrant it.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Yeah I agree. I don’t see how the structure of the new Hunter deal makes a trade attractive. And why would Minnesota want to clear cap at this point? They are under the cap now and there are very few ‘desirable’ high value free agents out there that would warrant it.
"The Vikings have restructured Danielle Hunter's contract to make room for his new edge rusher partner, Za'Darius Smith, according to ESPN's Field Yates.

This isn't a pay cut for Hunter. It just means the Vikings are taking the $18 million roster bonus that hit their books this weekend, converting it into a signing bonus, and spreading it out across the remainder of Hunter's contract. The result is $13.5 million in cap savings for this year, which helps accommodate Smith and the $14 million average annual value on his new deal.

Hunter's restructure doesn't take any money away from him and saves the Vikings $13.5 million on this year's salary cap."

Why in the hell would they restructure his contract, saving cap room, then trade him costing them a cap hit in dead money? Like I said a pre-June 1st trade is a 29 mil cap hit in dead money for the Vikings with a savings of 0. A post June 1st trade of Hunter is only a 10.6 mil cap hit and a savings of 1 mil. Does that suggest "trade"?

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
"The Vikings have restructured Danielle Hunter's contract to make room for his new edge rusher partner, Za'Darius Smith, according to ESPN's Field Yates.

This isn't a pay cut for Hunter. It just means the Vikings are taking the $18 million roster bonus that hit their books this weekend, converting it into a signing bonus, and spreading it out across the remainder of Hunter's contract. The result is $13.5 million in cap savings for this year, which helps accommodate Smith and the $14 million average annual value on his new deal.

Hunter's restructure doesn't take any money away from him and saves the Vikings $13.5 million on this year's salary cap."

Why in the hell would they restructure his contract, saving cap room, then trade him costing them a cap hit in dead money? Like I said a pre-June 1st trade is a 29 mil cap hit in dead money for the Vikings with a savings of 0. A post June 1st trade of Hunter is only a 10.6 mil cap hit and a savings of 1 mil. Does that suggest "trade"?
Yep agreed. As I said, I just don’t see it. You are spot on.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
That McAfee with Rappaport talk they literally talk about a bad surgery and there has been ypralk about it for a long time now. The thing I like about us retaining him is it was our team Doc doing the surgery. And Reggie and his team will rehab him.
After the Cam recovery???
We obviously have some special people doing the surgery and rehab crew.
Dude I feel like the Rams have turned into the old 9er Montana- Young era.
Where EVERYTHING about the organization and treatment of players was top class and the best of the best.