OBJ surgery / contract status

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
If I was a betting man I'd bet OBJ returns to the Rams. I suppose there is no hurry because he won't play the first half of the season. But the anxiousness of knowing there could be a team out there willing to offer a big contract is my concern. It ain't a done deal till its a done deal.
The thing is, what team is going to offer him a big contract with his injury history? And how much better would it have to be for OBJ to say "no thanks" to the L.A. Rams? These guys are saavy. They have probably already gone through contract talks with OBJ and his agent and have a very fair offer on the table, possibly a multi-year deal. OBJ may have already verbally committed to them. If I was a betting man I would pile on your wager!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The thing is, what team is going to offer him a big contract with his injury history? And how much better would it have to be for OBJ to say "no thanks" to the L.A. Rams? These guys are savvy. They have probably already gone through contract talks with OBJ and his agent and have a very fair offer on the table, possibly a multi-year deal.
Completely reasonable but it only takes one team ... maybe that team is foolish or desperate ... or both.

dang

Legend
Completely reasonable but it only takes one team ... maybe that team is foolish or desperate ... or both.
Yep and OBJ is going to go for the most guaranteed $$ possible as I am sure he is concerned with his longevity as well. I think there is a 50/50 chance the Rams sign him because they will be fair (but smart) about the $$.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yep and OBJ is going to go for the most guaranteed $$ possible as I am sure he is concerned with his longevity as well. I think there is a 50/50 chance the Rams sign him because they will be fair (but smart) about the $$.
I'm kind of at 75%-25% he re-signs with the Rams.

My comment about Beckham is similar to my Kyler Murray comments on another thread. Simply put ...
There are some dopey teams out there. Whether it's ownership, management, coach or some combination.

One example. I thought the Browns (thinking ownership there) were insane to increase Watson's contract (years and total value); and then guarantee the entire amount. Would any other team have done that?
I don't know. The lack of predictability in the NFL is so damn entertaining to me.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
HIPAA violations only apply to medical professionals. Snead can't lose his license to practice medicine or health care. Now maybe Reggie Scott could, or Dr Elitrage could.
Actually, employers have an obligation to maintain medical record privacy under both HIPAA and the ADA, but those provisions are typically waived for the purpose of injury reporting.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
True. but the only playoff contender I can think of in need of a WR is Green Bay. And he already turned them down once for L.A..

dang

Legend
True. but the only playoff contender I can think of in need of a WR is Green Bay. And he already turned them down once for L.A..
Colts could use a receiver. I’d put $$ on them making the playoffs.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Colts could use a receiver. I’d put $$ on them making the playoffs.
I suppose we could find 10 potential playoff teams who "could use a receiver". Will they pony up more money than the Rams and will the destination be as attractive as the L.A. Rams?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Actually, employers have an obligation to maintain medical record privacy under both HIPAA and the ADA, but those provisions are typically waived for the purpose of injury reporting.
Business associates is all I could find on the explanations. I was once an employer and I had no access to my employees medical information so HIPAA didn’t really apply to me.

I guess if Snead said it then that means since players are contracted the teams are business associates with players.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Business associates is all I could find on the explanations. I was once an employer and I had no access to my employees medical information so HIPAA didn’t really apply to me.

I guess if Snead said it then that means since players are contracted the teams are business associates with players.
Actually Snead could violate HIPAA if he has access to medical reports and shares that info without someone's permission. However, if that person could care less if he did, then it doesn't matter. I'm assuming it has to be more intimate info that is leaked since we all know he tore up his knee.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It doesn't have to be a playoff contender.
Well sure if winning.isn't a part of the equation. It's funny, for all the crap OBJ has been given over the years ( and some deserved) I believe winning is as important as money to him

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Well sure if winning.isn't a part of the equation. It's funny, for all the crap OBJ has been given over the years ( and some deserved) I believe winning is as important as money to him
Those are the kind of players I want on the Rams.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
OBJ is a complicated dude. I don't think some teams are gonna work for a guy like him. He's probably got a few viable options in terms of the teams that do work for him, but with the others he doesn't know for sure they're a fit. Rams are for sure a fit. Reason he hasn't signed though is that he knows what Robinson added means and he's already gotta contend with Kupp.

But if OBJ is smart he will sign with the Rams. Because the Rams will use him carefully. They will get the ball to him in big moments. They will get him in big games. They will keep his name in lights and after his one year prove-it deal he signs a big deal elsewhere and does whatever he wants. Bottom line is he doesn't have time here to mess around. So go with the sure thing, keep the deal short, and cash in after the season and maybe getting a second ring.

dang

Legend
OBJ is a complicated dude. I don't think some teams are gonna work for a guy like him. He's probably got a few viable options in terms of the teams that do work for him, but with the others he doesn't know for sure they're a fit. Rams are for sure a fit. Reason he hasn't signed though is that he knows what Robinson added means and he's already gotta contend with Kupp.

But if OBJ is smart he will sign with the Rams. Because the Rams will use him carefully. They will get the ball to him in big moments. They will get him in big games. They will keep his name in lights and after his one year prove-it deal he signs a big deal elsewhere and does whatever he wants. Bottom line is he doesn't have time here to mess around. So go with the sure thing, keep the deal short, and cash in after the season and maybe getting a second ring.
But what if a more desperate team offers him a 2 year contract with $15m (or similar) guaranteed. Knowing he will likely be unavailable until December, You’d think only teams that truly have a chance to make the playoffs (sorry Jets/Seahawks/Texans/Bears/ Giants/Panthers/Falcons/Lions/ Commodes/Jags) would sign up for this otherwise not having OBJ until December would be a complete waste of year 1 of his contract.

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I really don’t see any HIPPA violation in saying the previous surgery wasn’t done well.

Hell, there was speculation about that before he tore it again.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
But what if a more desperate team offers him a 2 year contract with $15m (or similar) guaranteed. Knowing he will likely be unavailable until December, You’d think only teams that truly have a chance to make the playoffs (sorry Jets/Seahawks/Texans/Bears/ Giants/Panthers/Falcons/Lions/ Commodes/Jags) would sign up for this otherwise not having OBJ until December would be a complete waste of year 1 of his contract.
I imagine he'll take it. But again the truth here is that OBJ is not a guy who could play for any team. There are guys like that, resilient players who can work and carve out a role. So for him there aren't 30 other team options. He's not gonna jive with a guy Vrabel or Belichick or many of the wannabe's who are in various stages of failure as HC right now. He knows the Rams know how to utilize him. He feels comfortable there, even in spite of them signing Robinson.

So if I'm him don't get greedy right now at this moment in time. Bet on yourself. Return to LA, win another ring, then collect that big ass check some team will be willing to cut you.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I really don’t see any HIPPA violation in saying the previous surgery wasn’t done well.

Hell, there was speculation about that before he tore it again.
Doubt there would be since saying a surgery didn't go well is a pretty general assumption type statement if re-injured the same knee and they had to correct things from the previous surgery.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
There are about 14 teams with no shot at the postseason and that's probably an underestimate. Does it make sense for a team building a winner (read: attempting) guaranteeing money to a guy with no guarantee that he'll play 9 games? Sure there may be a couple who might but then OBJ has a choice to make. Money with virtually no chance to play more than 9 games or less money with a chance to play 12 or 13 games with the postseason. I don't think it's as simple as offering him the most guaranteed money.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Beckham’s agent just saw the contract that Tyrique Hill got and he’s looking to cash in. I guarantee it. He’s selling the ‘Odell is back baby!’ story to any team listening. To him Odell’s play with the Rams is proof enough. Now the knee is better than ever. It’ll be just like Von Miller. He loved the Rams, the city and playing on a great team but in the end he was talked into going for the money and the last big contract. Odell’s agent is pushing for the same thing.