Not good for the Chargers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
All this bullshit steam from the trash back shit bag organization the raiders. LA Raiders were a black eye for the NFL. But the morons in charge gave them that second option and you know that pos Davis would have jumped on it.

Chargers ain’t going to SD. Mexico City? Possibly.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OKC should be home to the Thunder and Chargers.

Yeah, that makes no sense. OKC metro is a small fraction of the population of San Diego metro. In addition, there is a very popular college team there, and much of Oklahoma (including OKC) is Cowboy territory - basically the whole state. But southern Oklahoma is as close to Dallas as it is to Oklahoma City. Tulsa residents who don't follow the Cowboys follow midwest teams.

San Diego supported the Chargers fine. They just were not willing to bend over and subsidize a ridiculously expensive stadium for Spanos. An owner that would be able to build a stadium for the Chargers in OKC (and the government doesn't have money to subsidize a stadium like Spanos would want, so it would have to be privately built - at least mostly) would be far better off building a stadium in San Diego.

FWIW, the San Diego Metro is 17th in the US. Make the Chargers the default team to do international games in Mexico, and thus likely the team that gets Mexican fans, and they would be more than fine, and would make the NFL good money.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
St. Louis Chargers. I hear they have an empty stadium there.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Well whoever has a say in the matter needs to vote those bozos out. You can’t keep moving teams. The Chargers have about 10,000 fans in LA. That was a dumb move and I hope Spanos gets freaked for it. They’re 4-2 and a very good team. No reason the stadium doesn’t get filled. It would in San Diego.

I didn't mean to come across the way I may have.

I just wanted to clarify that point.

People always jump on Goodell for shit he isn't responsible for and claim he is fucking up the NFL when in reality he is less reposnsible for things than people think. There is a perception that he has absolute power when the reality is the owners have WAY more say so than any NFL commissioner will ever have.

Your point about the Chargers is good by the way.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
As you’ve said yourself, the NFL is fairly powerless in trying to stop a team from moving if the owner reall wants to move. I think a fair amount of that vote was a white flag. As to choosing Spanos over Davis for LA, I really think it had a fair bit to do with the element that was (probably still is) the LA Raiduh fan base. I’ve really never witnessed anything even close.

I wouldn’t doubt the LAPD chimed in as well. A public entity with over 12,000 members and policing jurisdiction can have a crap load of sway. Hell... the tiny by comparison Reno PD almost shut down the 2nd largest car event in the nation Hot August Nights and managed to shrink it by limiting venues due to the amount of resources it required. After seeing the number of cops (not just security) at the Raiduh game I went to, I could easily see them telling the NFL there would be a hefty price tag for any home game or that they simply weren’t going to put their officers through that crap show.

I can't lump Raiders fans in with gang members it's unfair.

He got a swee deal for sure. But what he wanted was a stadium shared with the Chargers and he didn’t get that. He got a nice consolation prize though, and it might be better for them in the end.

Mark got the best deal for himself. Way better than sharing in Carson with a rival.

Davis and Spanos both got sweet deals..........outside of owning a stadium they may have the best deals out there right now.

Chargers felt forced into accepting LA because of the time limit. They should have asked for another year to decide and continue playing in SD. They were worried about losing market share in LA. Lol dead knows nothing.

If he stayed another year, Vegas would have happened for the Raiders and Dean would be the NFL’s focus. I’m sure at that point Stan would have used all his power to pull the LA option entirely.

I think the NFL would have granted them another year if they had asked and presented it as "we are trying to work something out here in SD".

But IMO Davis would not have gone to LV until a final decision was made by Spanos. There is no way he would choose LV over LA given the history the Raiders have in LA.

It was more of a wrong to me in allowing two teams in LA in the first place. This was always a Rams town until Al Davis flipped his middle finger to Pete Rozelle., and moved his sorry assed team to LA. I want the Inglewood stadium to belong only to the Los Angeles Rams, with permanent signage for the Rams only. I don't care where Spanos' takes his team as long as it's out of LA metro.

The Raiders were very, very succesful leading up to the move........perennial playoff appearances and won the SB a couple of years before the move. After they moved they were King of the Hill in LA after the Rams started sucking a few years later.

The Chargers owe a 650 million relocation fee to other owners. Im sure that money comes out of the national TV contract over several years. Better hire some outstanding marketing people.

Davis, Spanos and Kroenke all owe relocation fees and yes it's paid over 10 years out of the funds they would get otherwise. So it's not really "out of pocket" directly.

Other owners got a BIG decade long windfall out of all this.

KCLARAM FAN

Rookie
Name
kclaram
YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

View: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1052587948934385665

:yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess::yess:

Cool to see this thread made so that discussion on the chargers bombing in LA can continue.LOL

It is no longer a secret anymore that the owners want the chargers back in SD. It was just whispers last year started by that sportswriter but NOW it has national attention now.I saw this being talked about on ESPN yesterday on the other screen at my local sports bar while watching the Dodgers game.cant remember their names but it was being talked about by those two guys that debate and sometimes yell at reach other when they do ,that one black guy and that bald white guy,they were talking about it. The Mighty 1080 has been talking about this ever since last year but now it is not just the mighty 1090 anymore.when it is ESPN,its national news.LOL

speaking of the mighty1090,ESPN's chris mortensen here talks all about it.The first two minutes are the most interesting.This has been a concern by the owners says mortenson going ALL THE WAY back to when Spanos moved them. Thats because as all the people who have done research on this,knows the owners never believed spanos would actually take what they handed out to him to move there thinking he would never want to play second fiddle and would want to have his own palace and wok something out there in SD despite the ramblings of someone here who cant accept that fact.LOL

here it is the first two minutes of mortensen. a good listen.

Chris Mortensen: “NFL Owners’ Concern About The Chargers Viability In The LA Market Has LONG Been There”
https://www.mighty1090.com/episode/...ability-in-the-la-market-has-long-been-there/

Last edited:

KCLARAM FAN

Rookie
Name
kclaram
Reading some of their fans discussion I get the impression they’d love them back, just with a different owner.

Oh yeah for sure.You nailed it. From all the san diego residents comments from the past year I MYSELF have seen posted on message boards,the majority have said that as long as it was a new owner,they would LOVE to have them back but they wont have anything to do with the chargers if they come back and Spanos remains the owner.

I also visited SD last year and asked a a dozen or so charger fans if they still cheered them on and i could only find one who said yes and then all the others i asked the question would they support them if they came back if it was a different owner,they all said yes.Go down to SD and ask around you will hear as well thats the norm down there.:)

Here are some comments from a SD charger fans for instance I picked up on a message board discussing it now recently.

Like myself many fans of the san diego chargers have disowned them. Nothing against the players or staff its all simply on spanos. As long as a spanos owns the team i will not be a fan. Spanos gave zero fks about fans and san diego now we give zero fks about the loss in revenue! Sell the team and allow a real owner to bring them back to san diego in a new stadium and the revenue will go back up

Move them home would be a start. If you combine that with removing the Spanos family … all these problems disappear.

Move the Chargers back to San Diego, leave the Spanos’ in L.A.

the new league that starts in the spring of 2019 has a team in San Diego…if they draw fans the NFL owners should MAKE the Spanos either go back to San Diego OR FORCE THEM TO SELL.

this one below of course is MY favorite post made by a SD charger fan.

San Diego Chargers
Los Angeles Rams
Oakland Raiders

problem solved.:yay::help:

Like i said,those comments from SD fans pretty much are the norm for the majority of SD residents.:)

Last edited:

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
*cough*come to St.Louis!*cough*

I kid of course, they belong in San Diego.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I kid of course, they belong in San Diego.

Yes..........but how does the NFL rectify the error without losing face.

This is difficult. I was living back home in CLE when the Browns tried to, and succeeded in, sneaking out of town and if Modell had wanted to come back there is no way fans would have supported the team. No way. If fact he never set foot in the area again, even when the Ravens were in town for games. When he was forced to give up the history, name, uniform and everything else fans were so happy.

I think it was @flv that suggested a rebrand for Spanos in LA and giving up the same thing Modell did so that city can have the team back. Maybe he has the answer.

The thing is for me is it a lack of support because Spanos is so unpopular or because the Chargers are considered some type of rival or whatever. I get it that it isn't like the Packers moving to Chicago but is there animosity towards the Chargers in LA?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes..........but how does the NFL rectify the error without losing face.

This is difficult. I was living back home in CLE when the Browns tried to, and succeeded in, sneaking out of town and if Modell had wanted to come back there is no way fans would have supported the team. No way. If fact he never set foot in the area again, even when the Ravens were in town for games. When he was forced to give up the history, name, uniform and everything else fans were so happy.

I think it was @flv that suggested a rebrand for Spanos in LA and giving up the same thing Modell did so that city can have the team back. Maybe he has the answer.

The thing is for me is it a lack of support because Spanos is so unpopular or because the Chargers are considered some type of rival or whatever. I get it that it isn't like the Packers moving to Chicago but is there animosity towards the Chargers in LA?
Speaking for myself, I grew up in LA and didn’t care anything about the Chargers. Fences make good neighbors so there is a recognition of boundries. If the neighbor tears down the fence and moves into your house, you probably aren’t going to like it. The Raiders moved into our house and now the Chargers have done so. That makes me their enemy, regardless of their record. Eff them!

KCLARAM FAN

Rookie
Name
kclaram

It was more of a wrong to me in allowing two teams in LA in the first place. This was always a Rams town until Al Davis flipped his middle finger to Pete Rozelle., and moved his sorry assed team to LA. I want the Inglewood stadium to belong only to the Los Angeles Rams, with permanent signage for the Rams only. I don't care where Spanos' takes his team as long as it's out of LA metro.
The Raiders were very, very succesful leading up to the move........perennial playoff appearances and won the SB a couple of years before the move. After they moved they were King of the Hill in LA after the Rams started sucking a few years later.
All this bullcrap steam from the trash back crap bag organization the raiders. LA Raiders were a black eye for the NFL. But the morons in charge gave them that second option and you know that pos Davis would have jumped on it.

Chargers ain’t going to SD. Mexico City? Possibly.

If a new owner comes in and buys the team and is willing to fiance the stadium in SD,they will go to back to SD depends on where the big money is at,if the NFL thinks it will be mostly made in mexico it will be Mexico, but I would think they would want the SD market filled first.we shall see.

The Raiders were indeed a black eye on the NFL in LA,what I think is comical is people around here seriously thought they would be the second team in despite the fact it was well known that most the NFL owners hate the davis family for moving them to LA against their wishes so it did not take a genius to see it would be the chargers if there was going to be a second team.

i always knew there was never a chance with the Raiders but the chargers while i always thought it was a long shot they would take the option,deep down i knew there was a slight chance.anyone who listened to fred roggin knew the raiders were never going to happen. I still find it comical people really thought they ever had a chance.:rolllaugh:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I do think they're going to make the playoffs this year, that's a good team no doubt about it. And they'll probably still suffer a bit on the draw in spite of it.

And it's interesting that you mention a re-branding, as I do think that's the kind of stunt Spanos might pull in order to garner interest in his team. Doing that to a team that made the playoffs, and IF they go with a color scheme that is different from the Rams and includes a badass look, might work out pretty well for them.

The bigger problem with the Chargers is Rivers is way up there in age and they have no replacement. So the surge they're showing this season is a bit different from the Rams in that the Rams are young and stocked in key positions and under team control, whereas the Chargers don't have nearly as good a projected window unless they hit on some key positions in the draft here real soon. Also, while their staff is quite good the guy running the staff is in over his head IMO, and that will catch up to you in the playoffs.

KCLARAM FAN

Rookie
Name
kclaram

I do think they're going to make the playoffs this year, that's a good team no doubt about it. And they'll probably still suffer a bit on the draw in spite of it.

And it's interesting that you mention a re-branding, as I do think that's the kind of stunt Spanos might pull in order to garner interest in his team. Doing that to a team that made the playoffs, and IF they go with a color scheme that is different from the Rams and includes a badass look, might work out pretty well for them.

The bigger problem with the Chargers is Rivers is way up there in age and they have no replacement. So the surge they're showing this season is a bit different from the Rams in that the Rams are young and stocked in key positions and under team control, whereas the Chargers don't have nearly as good a projected window unless they hit on some key positions in the draft here real soon. Also, while their staff is quite good the guy running the staff is in over his head IMO, and that will catch up to you in the playoffs.

Fred Roggin always said that on his radio show in the discussions of the LA relocation that the only way spanos maybe might succeed in LA is if he rebranded with a new name.If the chargers had a good young quarterback ready to go like mahomes or Dak Prescott was a couple years ago or even the one in chicago who is making an impact,that could work but like you said with Rivers aging and they have no young QB we know of,that would not work at this point.

KCLARAM FAN

Rookie
Name
kclaram
There is no way on earth they are going back to San Diego, UNLESS under new ownership.

and that owner agrees to build his own stadium of course which is why spanos left.With how he has embarrassed the league with the move,i dont think they would want him going back since they realise it as well he has burned all his bridges back there.You just know they are going to force him to sell soon.

great interview with warren moon on this how this is embarrassing for the league.LOL

https://www.mighty1090.com/episode/...0-stadium-its-kind-of-embarrassing-right-now/

totally amazing idiot spanos gave up THIS.

View: https://www.facebook.com/thebx/photos/pb.87532188052.-2207520000.1539887136./10155725377753053/?type=3&theater

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU8ROQx5jZs

for THAT.

Seahawks_Chargers_Football_180141-780x520.jpg

https://ramsondemand.com/threads/the-chargers-experiment-in-la-is-only-getting-worse-lol.55815/

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did Stan Kroenke present his stadium plan with two locker rooms and two sets of office space for two teams...was it all a ruse to win LA?

Certainly Kroenke planned to act above board, but knowing the reality of Dean Spanos' stubbornness in not wanting to be the 2nd team in LA (he tried for another year in San Diego to get a new stadium, before failing once again) had presented his plan. Mark Davis and his Raiders were third in he contest for LA, connected with Vegas and it looks to be a good move for them. Even if San Diego had gotten a stadium deal done, and the Raiders had not gotten Vegas, the Rams would have had a year or two in LA to re-establish themselves. Admittedly, the Raiders would have been vastly more successful than the Chargers...So there was a bit of luck from the Rams perspective with the Raiders gaining Las Vegas.

Was this Kroenke's ingenious plan to have LA to himself? Did Kroenke float the idea of still having the openness to another team for leverage against resistant home markets in negotiations, when presenting LA's stadium plans in 2015? (If the Raiders & Chargers wouldn't be 2nd fiddles in LA)

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I can't lump Raiders fans in with gang members it's unfair.
I can and no it isn’t. I’m guessing you never went to an LA Raiduh game or personally know people who have. Obviously there are normal and upstanding Raiduh fans - certainly the majority of them. But it’s the huge number of them that are that is the problem. I have simply never seen anything like that element with any other fan base.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can and no it isn’t. I’m guessing you never went to an LA Raiduh game or personally know people who have. Obviously there are normal and upstanding Raiduh fans - certainly the majority of them. But it’s the huge number of them that are that is the problem. I have simply never seen anything like that element with any other fan base.
Totally agree