Not good for the Chargers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

janthony6

UDFA
Retweeted today by Adam Schefter: Troubling issue for the league:

Seth Wickersham:
A major discussion topic among NFL owners/executives at this week’s league meetings is the Chargers’ viability in LA. PSL sales have been a struggle and team is expected to revise its Inglewood revenue goals sharply to a more realistic number: $400m to around $150m, per sources

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Someday we will appreciate the Chargers for delivering the LA market solely to the Rams by boxing out the Raiders before slinking back to San Diego.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At the least, they will be a default team for an international game a year, as the home team. The home team gets paid as if they had a sellout at their home stadium in return for that. But while it's good for the owner, it's not good for the team or the fans. Not that the Chargers have many fans.

janthony6

UDFA
Someday we will appreciate the Chargers for delivering the LA market solely to the Rams by boxing out the Raiders before slinking back to San Diego.

This is a great take. Have to wonder if this was the plan all along and maybe for their compliance, they’ll get more money from the league to build their San Diego stadium.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mark Davis: Roger, here's a what if....

Goodell: What would that be, Mark?

Mark Davis: I could move the Raiders to LA if there's gonna be an opening.

Goodell: Vegas, Mark. What about Vegas?

Mark Davis: What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas, ya know...

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Good to know the "LA" brand doesn't necessarily mean raking up the monies. I still don't get why the Angels call themselves the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim when they play in OC.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Couple things here from a business standpoint...

1. I would think having an open stadium and team facilities for a second team would be great for the NFL in terms of strong-arming cities to pony up new stadium contributions. When they double booked LA that advantage basically disappeared.

2. With the Raiders having a new stadium on the way, the Chargers are basically the last west coast team that needs attention. I have to think the league would be willing to assist "Broke @$$ Spanos" in at least the back end discussions with San Diego's leadership to see whether they want to launch a bring-them-back type of campaign that might include league assistance with the stadium.

Best thing that could happen to the league is the Spanos family selling the team. Adding another billionaire to the NFL ownership room would be a huge windfall for the league and help the above get rectified. Course that probably won't happen until Dean kicks the bucket.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Be hilarious if with the revision downwards of revenue estimates, that the next annual estimate of team value for the Chargers gets revised downwards to lower than when they were in San Diego.

Just saying.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
It gets to where it's almost like laughing at the special ed kid who fell on his face tripping down the stairs getting out of the short bus.

But we're dealing with billionaires who gave the finger to Cali's second largest city, so:
nelson.jpg

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Couple things here from a business standpoint...

1. I would think having an open stadium and team facilities for a second team would be great for the NFL in terms of strong-arming cities to pony up new stadium contributions. When they double booked LA that advantage basically disappeared.

2. With the Raiders having a new stadium on the way, the Chargers are basically the last west coast team that needs attention. I have to think the league would be willing to assist "Broke @$$ Spanos" in at least the back end discussions with San Diego's leadership to see whether they want to launch a bring-them-back type of campaign that might include league assistance with the stadium.

Best thing that could happen to the league is the Spanos family selling the team. Adding another billionaire to the NFL ownership room would be a huge windfall for the league and help the above get rectified. Course that probably won't happen until Dean kicks the bucket.
Curious on number two, do you think maybe the owners are tired of the Spanos family’s act? I kind of think they might be.

I’ve thought since he bought the Clippers that Balmer makes a ton of sense to buy the Chargers and maybe move both back to San Diego.

Last edited by a moderator:

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Yes we will! Question is... is the SD fanbase beyond salvage?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Good to know the "LA" brand doesn't necessarily mean raking up the monies. I still don't get why the Angels call themselves the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim when they play in OC.
That still bugs me. I liked it when they were called the California Angels. What’s wrong with that? I don’t remember any Dodger fans having any issue like, “hey... we’re in California too”. It just seemed silly to me to come up with that seriously awkward name change. Talk about making sure you are viewed as the red headed step child in the LA market.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That still bugs me. I liked it when they were called the California Angels. What’s wrong with that? I don’t remember any Dodger fans having any issue like, “hey... we’re in California too”. It just seemed silly to me to come up with that seriously awkward name change. Talk about making sure you are viewed as the red headed step child in the LA market.
Probably Dodger jealousy in branding and merchandising. Anaheim isn't LA, of course

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Course that probably won't happen until Dean kicks the bucket.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Dean sell the team - especially if he figures their value is at a market peak for the next couple years. I have to think he will have some big time tax bills coming.

Reading some of their fans discussion I get the impression they’d love them back, just with a different owner.
The Charger fans I know are absolutely in this boat. I have to say that if it happened, SD would return to being my second favorite team. Dean can eat a bag of dicks.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Probably Dodger jealousy in branding and merchandising. Anaheim isn't LA, of course
Absolutely. But in my eyes, it always made them look weak for doing it. I also have a couple of friends that are Angels fans. They hate it too and they have nothing against LA. They’re Rams fans too.