Not as bad as it looked.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
It looked as bad as it was, just didn't think we would see qb play like that after what we saw after the first 3 games. Running game was going good except for the fumble. We should learn to win running the football. Defense is not as good as last year so we need the offense to be consistent. Next game will show us more, I'm almost afraid to watch. I don't want to think, same old rams again. Go rams

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I've noticed the McVay Rams have games like this about every 4th or 5th game. I think these dudes end up watching their own highlight reels rather than game film.

RamUK

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Stafford and Kupp need to spend more time perfecting their craft and less time studying their press clippings.
Neither strike me as being that kind of person. Nor have I ever heard anything to suggest that. Just the opposite in fact.

Tano

Legend
IDK looked bad to me, but by the 3rd quarter I had a few single malts to wash away the bad taste in my mouth.

For all of those who posted about Murray not being extraordinary, time to realize you were wrong. Last year the Rams played the Cardinals late and Murray was dinged up, so he did not have the ability to extend plays, today, they could not catch him.
Ehh I have always said that Murray is too small to play the game over a full season.

Contain him in the pocket and he is ordinary.

We did not contain him in the pocket yesterday.

I feel after 8 to 10 games his hamstring is going to give out again and he won't be able to move as well. His entire game is being able to move around at will inside and outside the pocket.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
37-20 is a beat down and the game wasn't as close as that score indicates. So yeah, it was bad. But the sky isn't falling. We knew there will be losses at some point. This won't be the last. Just win enough to get to the big dance. Thursday night we will know what kind of team we have. How they respond after a beat down will tell us a lot about our team.

…..

Legend
I think it was worse than it looked because I didnt see it :D

But the bothersome thing to me is the lack of mental toughness because thats not coachable.

So to me, in my opinion, its worse because of the things Im seeing questioned. Things that are more than just Stafford having an off day.

Didnt think to game plan to contain a little fast guy.
Didnt think to stick with the run when it was clearly working.
Allowed a thrashing at home.
13 targets to Kupp- yet it was clear early the combo was “off”
No real half time improvents.

You gotta have mental toughness in this game. You cant buy the hype because you gotta be smart enough to know its just hype.

Rams are definately a Hollywood franchise. And with that, we should expect inconsistencies in mental toughness. Hell, even NFL studio HQ is sitting so close, its right where our parking lot could be. lol

Had the mental toughness against Tampa. Yesterday not so much.

If thats too deep- just chalk it up to turnovers. We had some, they didnt. Game.

DVontel

Rookie
Ehh I have always said that Murray is too small to play the game over a full season.

I feel after 8 to 10 games his hamstring is going to give out again and he won't be able to move as well. His entire game is being able to move around at will inside and outside the pocket.
I mean, he was making crisp throws in the pocket yesterday. Honestly, most of the season. With Hudson in front of him now, I don’t think this rings true as you think it does anymore.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Stafford was as bad as I have ever seen him yesterday. The defensive scheme does not put our players in their best positions. Lots of work to do....

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
It looked pretty ugly from the stands. Murray is good, don't think anyone ever questioned that. Its his durability that has always been the question. We will see how he handles it this season. He seemed to be more willing to play it safe yesterday and slide or step out of bounds. But it's early and a lot of games left.

Tano

Legend
I mean, he was making crisp throws in the pocket yesterday. Honestly, most of the season. With Hudson in front of him now, I don’t think this rings true as you think it does anymore.
Oh he can make crisp throws to wide open receivers like any good QB and his one throw to AJ Green for a TD was bad coverage by Long

Should have had safety help on that play too.

But do any pressure on him and he likes to escape - he won't stand in the pocket and take a hit. Plus he can't throw over the linemen when pressured. But he is healthy right now and we did HORRIBLE contain on him yesterday. But when his hamstring goes like I think it will since he has had issues in the past, he will become a decent QB who can throw to wide open receivers when he has time in the pocket. I have yet to see him make throws in tight windows. Just like Lamarr Jackson who only completes passes to wide open receivers.

Morris did such a crappy job yesterday.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
As for the Cards, I gotta hope that a better game plan to contain Murray would make a difference. Cuz we got creamed by their O.

This is one of the things that really bothers me about yesterday's defensive gameplan. The Rams have been pretty successful defensively against mobile QBs going back to the beginning of the Fisher era because we've always had them in our division. And in this, our first outing with a new DC against one, the D repeatedly loses contain and looks as if it has no answers for that aspect of Murray's game. But our players didn't just forget. It's our coordinator not properly scheming and not doing what we've done in the past to be successful in that arena. Throw in the soft zone coverages for guys that are best suited for press man coverage and Rapp in the deep zone where he's better, and Ramsey not being on the clear #1 guy and you've got a recipe for serious regression on that side of the ball.

When Morris was hired, we were told that he was going to stick with Staley's scheme but maybe throw in a few tweaks here and there. But what we have now looks nothing like Staley's scheme from last year.

DVontel

Rookie
Oh he can make crisp throws to wide open receivers like any good QB and his one throw to AJ Green for a TD was bad coverage by Long

Should have had safety help on that play too.

But do any pressure on him and he likes to escape - he won't stand in the pocket and take a hit. Plus he can't throw over the linemen when pressured. But he is healthy right now and we did HORRIBLE contain on him yesterday. But when his hamstring goes like I think it will since he has had issues in the past, he will become a decent QB who can throw to wide open receivers when he has time in the pocket. I have yet to see him make throws in tight windows. Just like Lamarr Jackson who only completes passes to wide open receivers.

Morris did such a crappy job yesterday.
So the throws to AJ to where only AJ could catch it & the throw to Maxx where it sailed over Young were wide open? One to Hopkins on the sideline as well?

Be honest with yourself, you don’t think the hamstring will cause problems, you just want it to, lol. You’re not fooling me & I doubt you’re fooling your fellow Ram brothers as well.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
37-20 is a beat down and the game wasn't as close as that score indicates. So yeah, it was bad. But the sky isn't falling. We knew there will be losses at some point. This won't be the last. Just win enough to get to the big dance. Thursday night we will know what kind of team we have. How they respond after a beat down will tell us a lot about our team.

Yup, they'll be losses, but preferably not at home.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
IDK looked bad to me, but by the 3rd quarter I had a few single malts to wash away the bad taste in my mouth.

For all of those who posted about Murray not being extraordinary, time to realize you were wrong. Last year the Rams played the Cardinals late and Murray was dinged up, so he did not have the ability to extend plays, today, they could not catch him.

The last two years however the contain guy on the other side has been there waiting for him. There was no f'ing contain yesterday. Murray was getting flushed and was running out into open space or even with defenders in the area they were out of position to catch anybody with that kind of speed.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...

LOL. And I'm still wondering what the over/under is on Watt going down. Wk 6? Wk 8?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Your team won and he looked great DV. No need to defend his honor there on what is clearly the way to play him.

Sure he was making throws from the pocket yesterday. But it's better to have that MFer in the pocket than running around. The book on him always has been and always will be to keep him in the pocket and take away early reads.

Tano

Legend
So the throws to AJ to where only AJ could catch it & the throw to Maxx where it sailed over Young were wide open? One to Hopkins on the sideline as well?

Be honest with yourself, you don’t think the hamstring will cause problems, you just want it to, lol. You’re not fooling me & I doubt you’re fooling your fellow Ram brothers as well.
He is good enough to make a couple tight window throws a game but if you put pressure on him AND (this is the most important part which we able to do the last few years) keep contain on him from going outside (which we did a fricken shitty ass job yesterday), he collapses and becomes an ordinary QB.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is good enough to make a couple tight window throws a game but if you put pressure on him AND (this is the most important part which we able to do the last few years) keep contain on him from going outside (which we did a fricken shitty ass job yesterday), he collapses and becomes an ordinary QB.
To be fair most QB's look average at best with consistent pressure...

Tano

Legend
To be fair most QB's look average at best with consistent pressure...
There is pressure where you are hitting the QB and there is pressure where they have to stay in the pocket and make the throws.

A lot of QBs can do the second one - Stafford is even one. Brady Rodgers Mahomes etc

I feel if we could do that to Murray, he would suffer greatly (he wouldn't be able to get the throw over the DL) - just don't let the MFer get outside the contain.

We were so good at that the last couple years.

If Wilson is able to run free this Thursday, then I will be positive it is Morris defense that allowed this Midget to do so well.

Let's see what happens this Thursday. We have usually done an excellent job containing Wilson.