NFL report critical of Incognito

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Back on topic, I think that report just ended Incognito's career. Even if it's typical behavior, the fact that he was the one exposed doing it will hurt him (as may have been the case with Bountygate, but I think this is going to be much worse.)

The only hope I would see is that some NFL competitor would sign him, but I don't think there's a USFL or XFL out there right now. Just semi-pro leagues.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The real problem is we have no proof that this ACTUALLY bothered Martin or if he just sees it as an opportunity knowing he was not cut out for life in the NFL. He as much as admitted it to Cogs that it was his lawyer doing all the talking and positioning when it first came out.

I'd argue that there is more than a little bit of a chance it ACTUALLY bothered him since he left the team over it.

Have you read what was said and done? Those were the reasons he left, so one can connect the two dots fairly easily.

I don't know how you can say he isn't cut out for life in the NFL. What qualifies you to make that call?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Back on topic, I think that report just ended Incognito's career. Even if it's typical behavior, the fact that he was the one exposed doing it will hurt him (as may have been the case with Bountygate, but I think this is going to be much worse.)

The only hope I would see is that some NFL competitor would sign him, but I don't think there's a USFL or XFL out there right now. Just semi-pro leagues.

I doubt it, players have killed people and dogs and still got paid to play. Guys have committed every crime you can think of and still gotten a check.

Of course GMs might look at the cumulative thing with this knucklehead, from the foolish penalties to the Snickers incident to flipping off fans and decide he's not worth the risk. So I can see where his opportunities will be diminished, but they won't be eliminated.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'd argue that there is more than a little bit of a chance it ACTUALLY bothered him since he left the team over it.

Have you read what was said and done? Those were the reasons he left, so one can connect the two dots fairly easily.

I don't know how you can say he isn't cut out for life in the NFL. What qualifies you to make that call?

No one really knows but him.

Is he on a team did he play after Oct in the 2013 season, the Dolphins don't expect him to play there in 2014, did he walk away because he got his feelings hurt, is he the only guy to face adversity in the NFL or on the job?

Like I said earlier I have seen and witnessed worse than anything I saw in those transcripts the guy may be a victim of his up bringing as much as bullying. That is no reason to walk out on a job, let alone playing football in the NFL. So yeah he's not cut out for it he should just stay home and let his mommy make it all better

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
No one really knows but him.

Is he on a team did he play after Oct in the 2013 season, the Dolphins don't expect him to play there in 2014, did he walk away because he got his feelings hurt, is he the only guy to face adversity in the NFL or on the job?

Like I said earlier I have seen and witnessed worse than anything I saw in those transcripts the guy may be a victim of his up bringing as much as bullying. That is no reason to walk out on a job, let alone playing football in the NFL. So yeah he's not cut out for it he should just stay home and let his mommy make it all better

Well that's not true. He left the team. So it was bothering him.

Your dime store macho is sexy though. I know you know that.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Martin didn't have to reply to ANY of the texts. He was a willing participant and the sister shizzle is common among street punks which it seems they all are.
Non issue , but the league is afraid of the anti bullying movements ability to effect their bottom line and or their image.
I mean c'mon how many kinds of cancer are there but they suck up to breast cancer ,wait maybe I could have said that better, but you get it, it's an image problem, they care about their image,and the PC storm troopers will drag their image through the mud until they get their bidge arse way,so they are seeing the landscape and rolling over.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Martin didn't have to reply to ANY of the texts. He was a willing participant and the sister shizzle is common among street punks which it seems they all are.
Non issue , but the league is afraid of the anti bullying movements ability to effect their bottom line and or their image.
I mean c'mon how many kinds of cancer are there but they suck up to breast cancer ,wait maybe I could have said that better, but you get it, it's an image problem, they care about their image,and the PC storm troopers will drag their image through the mud until they get their bidge arse way,so they are seeing the landscape and rolling over.

I don't see how replying means it doesn't count as bullying. Like I said, a guy doesn't need to say something for it to mean it bothers him. There's so many cases of strong guys having an issue going on inside that he doesn't want to talk about publicly because of how he will be seen by his peers.

Martin may not be totally innocent in all this, but that doesn't exonerate everyone else, or mean it didn't bother him.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Well that's not true. He left the team. So it was bothering him.

Your dime store macho is sexy though. I know you know that.
Yeah but its always nice to hear it from others :)

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't see how replying means it doesn't count as bullying. Like I said, a guy doesn't need to say something for it to mean it bothers him. There's so many cases of strong guys having an issue going on inside that he doesn't want to talk about publicly because of how he will be seen by his peers.

Martin may not be totally innocent in all this, but that doesn't exonerate everyone else, or mean it didn't bother him.

So they are big bad asses who grew up in a culture that promoted this kind of behavior. It isn't like high school where one of the jocks was picking on a book club geek.

bluecoconuts

Legend
So they are big bad asses who grew up in a culture that promoted this kind of behavior. It isn't like high school where one of the jocks was picking on a book club geek.

So because of their size/jobs its impossible for them to be bullied?

fearsomefour

Legend
The investigation is looking at things like it was any other work place. With that perspective it is wildly out of line, Incognito, Pouncy, the Oline coach and Martin. Should the NFL or any other locker room be different legally than any other work place? Probably not. This is the problem.
I think Incognito feel burned by Martin and the Dolphins and maybe rightfully so as the behavior was basically condoned and Martin participated as well.
Martin has mental problems. Missing practices and team activities for depression. Leaving the team because he said he was depressed and suicidal. Ok, this happens and is not a reflection on Martin if he has a legit mental issue. The Dolphins look like a major corporation being run like the corner burger stand. No standards, coaches and administrator completely out of touch ect. A player having significant mental health issues who it seems was able to get help
As for anyone who thinks Incognito is the devil or is shocked by this they obviously have not had a kid or played sports recently. None of this Espcially the racial stuff surprises me. Incognito is just too much of a meat head to keep his sausage fingers from tweeting about it.
Nothing new in this report to me.
Id still sign Incognito before Martin.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
So because of their size/jobs its impossible for them to be bullied?

Of course someone can talk mean to them and since he is so big maybe that is the first time anyone treated him like that but bullying in the same context as what happens in junior high school no I'm not buying it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Of course someone can talk mean to them and since he is so big maybe that is the first time anyone treated him like that but bullying in the same context as what happens in junior high school no I'm not buying it.

That makes no sense, some of the biggest bullies I've seen were the smallest guys, and some big guys didn't have a mean bone in their body. Size doesn't mean anything.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
That makes no sense, some of the biggest bullies I've seen were the smallest guys, and some big guys didn't have a mean bone in their body. Size doesn't mean anything.
I cannot speak to anyone's experience but my own. If that's is what you have seen, it is what it is

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The investigation is looking at things like it was any other work place. With that perspective it is wildly out of line, Incognito, Pouncy, the Oline coach and Martin. Should the NFL or any other locker room be different legally than any other work place? Probably not. This is the problem.
I think Incognito feel burned by Martin and the Dolphins and maybe rightfully so as the behavior was basically condoned and Martin participated as well.
Martin has mental problems. Missing practices and team activities for depression. Leaving the team because he said he was depressed and suicidal. Ok, this happens and is not a reflection on Martin if he has a legit mental issue. The Dolphins look like a major corporation being run like the corner burger stand. No standards, coaches and administrator completely out of touch ect. A player having significant mental health issues who it seems was able to get help
As for anyone who thinks Incognito is the devil or is shocked by this they obviously have not had a kid or played sports recently. None of this Espcially the racial stuff surprises me. Incognito is just too much of a meat head to keep his sausage fingers from tweeting about it.
Nothing new in this report to me.
Id still sign Incognito before Martin.
Don't bring the Nanny State into Professional Football.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I cannot speak to anyone's experience but my own. If that's is what you have seen, it is what it is

Its not fair to base everyone on ones own experiences, everyone is different and responds to things differently. Two people can respond in completely opposite ways to the same event, it happens constantly.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I read the leaked texts. There was nothing there that was out of the ordinary for a football locker room environment. Albeit it was not for the faint of heart.

Consider the investigator. I picture a whimpy little poindexter with a briefcase and a bow tie on, that is accustomed to investigating spousal abuse. Seriously, who can the NFL find that has any real credentials involving the conditions of treatment inside an NFL locker room? I doubt there has ever been anyone with such a specialization. And I am sorry to offend but what goes on inside any locker room is not to be evaluated on a scale of public decorum. The locker and common society are two different things entirely.

Martin didn't handle it right and instead of letting him look like a bust and a head case, his agent went the route of fallguy by pinning it on Richie Incognito. The agent didn't want the checks to stop rolling in and didn't want future checks affected either.

Why don't we investigate what goes on in basic training at some Marine base while we are at it. I heard that drill sargents can be very demeaning and hurt young men's feelings, while trying to shape them into the warriors and teammates that they need to be to perform their jobs efficiently. Lots of young men get their feelings hurt in the service too. Send out the social workers! This is a travesty!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think that locker room was that way before Martin got there ,he tried to fit in and couldn't so he left ,he wasn't targeted any more than Pouncy as a rook,Martin just couldn't hang,and wasn't playing well enough to make it anyway in his estimation so it came together to send him into his agents office sobbing.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I find it interesting that the only people so far that have come out and said this is typical locker room behavior or that these guys didn't cross the line or that they are OK with what happened are guys on the internet.

Every player, every talking head, guys who talked to players, guys who talked to GM's and so on have all said they went over the line, what they did was out of control. I saw several of them say it themselves on TV at the gym today. Not one said it's normal, typical locker room stuff.

So the posters who are saying that these are big tough guys and do this kind of thing all the time are being directly opposed by......the big tough guys who actually don't do these types of things.

Many of them said that Martin will probably not have an issue finding a team but that Incognito will have to show contrition before a team will consider him because his Twitter remarks leave no doubt that he doesn't think he is in the wrong here.......this was from Mort who said he spoke with some front office guys and that's what they pretty much all said.

jjab360

Legend
I find it interesting that the only people so far that have come out and said this is typical locker room behavior or that these guys didn't cross the line or that they are OK with what happened are guys on the internet.

Every player, every talking head, guys who talked to players, guys who talked to GM's and so on have all said they went over the line, what they did was out of control. I saw several of them say it themselves on TV at the gym today. Not one said it's normal, typical locker room stuff.

So the posters who are saying that these are big tough guys and do this kind of thing all the time are being directly opposed by......the big tough guys who actually don't do these types of things.

Many of them said that Martin will probably not have an issue finding a team but that Incognito will have to show contrition before a team will consider him because his Twitter remarks leave no doubt that he doesn't think he is in the wrong here.......this was from Mort who said he spoke with some front office guys and that's what they pretty much all said.
Easy to act hard on an anonymous internet board. Reality is that people don't deserve to be treated like Martin was, and the people involved are going to pay the price.

A lot of posters here said that they were going to wait until they had all the information before they came to a conclusion, and now we have it, all 144 pages of it. The reality is pretty damning, and anyone who denies it for the sake of "standing up against PC" or whatever is just being ridiculous. Let's have your coworkers treat you like shit for a while and see how you like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.