NFL report critical of Incognito

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fearsomefour

Legend
Re reading all this this stuff it is stranger to me the more I read it. I certainly feel for Martin. He suffers from a mental illness and is in denial about causation. I hope he gets the help he needs, whether he plays ball again or not.
Incognito is a raging Dbag and a meatheadsd moron, no doubt. Some hazing or BSing is to be expected, but, to have no ability to see when things are effecting someone so much or to just not care indicates a bit of a sociopathic streak.
As far as the Dolphins they really look bad. Clearly amateur hour over there. If Martin files suit there certainly would appear to be enough in terms of workplace conditions/harassment ect.
All of that said. For the folks who think Incognito some sort of devil that would mean signing Jerry as a FA is out of the question. What if the former Dolphins lineman that is Player B (who made racial comments ect) is Long? Have to immediately cut him right?
Do people have the right to a use others? No. Is society softer than ever? Yes. I is the thought police out in full force? Yes.
I have many mixed feelings about this topic. Martin makes an interesting point regarding upbringing. That may or may not play a role in this incident. One thing is for sure. Society as a larger entity is creating more and more of a victim mentality.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Not down playing depression. But I know enough self centered blowhards to know tht they don't even have the ability to understand something that they have not experienced themselves..and even then most won't understand it. I don't think Incognito was treating Martin worse because he was preying on his depression weakness.
I wasn't referring to that. I was talking about laramsoriginal essentially dismissing the fact.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Funny how the players polled by espn have sided with richie. According to espn questionnaire, players would rather play with richie than martin.

Like I stated before, richie is an idiot who took hazing to another level yet Martin never went to the coaching staff/GM. Instead Martin played along as if he were friends with the whole group. If you read the text messages between richie and Martin you get the feeling that richie believes martin is his friend.........martin was also joking and talking crap with the rest of the OL. Like stated earlier, Martin did not go to the coaching staff, instead Martin decided a lawyer would help his situation more.

Richie deserved to be suspended all of last year. He served his time and lost his pay. Richie should have to complete 3 months of sensitivity training before he is allowed to play in the nfl again.
Martin will probably spend the next few months pimping his lawyer out to get as much money from the nfl as possible. Martin needs therapy, he even admits he has issues
It seems like players are privately siding with Incognito, just not doing so publicly.

Though I still don't want him in horns.

iced

I think this is over blown...but I do find it interesting that these guys would actually saying comments about wives, family, parents, etc.. I always thought our hazing in the military sometimes went overboard, but guys never crossed the wives and family line.. I'm still waiting to hear about a guy being saran wrapped to his locker or something (lol i've seen guys saran wrapped in their bunks asleep)

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I think this is over blown...but I do find it interesting that these guys would actually saying comments about wives, family, parents, etc.. I always thought our hazing in the military sometimes went overboard, but guys never crossed the wives and family line.. I'm still waiting to hear about a guy being saran wrapped to his locker or something (lol i've seen guys saran wrapped in their bunks asleep)
I do know that if I had a sister, and Incognito made the comments he made about her, I would have firmly informed him that if he wants to keep going there, things would not be too friendly between us.

Yes, even not wanting to rock the boat as a rookie.

iced

I do know that if I had a sister, and Incognito made the comments he made about her, I would have firmly informed him that if he wants to keep going there, things would not be too friendly between us.

Depending on the comments, that pretty much sums it up for me.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Depending on the comments, that pretty much sums it up for me.

LOL trust me if you read what was said I think you'll concur.

Not to mention that he was very abusive towards a young assistant who was Asian.

This wasn't just Incognito though and a couple of other guys are probably going to get hit with fines or short suspensions.

If you follow the link to the deadspin article its pretty easy to follow and its a pretty concisely written summary.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think the best thing about Martin and Incognito is it kept them from screwing two normal people up.

It's said that abused women are drawn to abusers, in a wierd sort of way I think Martins personality drew the worst out of Incognito , I think if he'd stood up for himself in the beginning he'd have checked Richie and the issue would have never come to the fore.
We can deplore bullying all we like but the act of policing it is like trying to catch a fart in a whirlwind, pecking orders will always evolve , the best way to stay off the end of the branch is to peck back.
I think both guys end up out of the league for a year ,but IMO after getting counseling my ,guess is people will be more likely to accept Richie back because it took a guy who wouldn't stand up for himself to let Richie go too far,so the locker room itself will police Richie, but the uncertainty when Martins spirit will break again makes him unreliable and less worth taking a chance on.

jjab360

Legend
I think the best thing about Martin and Incognito is it kept them from screwing two normal people up.

It's said that abused women are drawn to abusers, in a wierd sort of way I think Martins personality drew the worst out of Incognito , I think if he'd stood up for himself in the beginning he'd have checked Richie and the issue would have never come to the fore.
We can deplore bullying all we like but the act of policing it is like trying to catch a fart in a whirlwind, pecking orders will always evolve , the best way to stay off the end of the branch is to peck back.
I think both guys end up out of the league for a year ,but IMO after getting counseling my ,guess is people will be more likely to accept Richie back because it took a guy who wouldn't stand up for himself to let Richie go too far,so the locker room itself will police Richie, but the uncertainty when Martins spirit will break again makes him unreliable and less worth taking a chance on.
In reality, I think people that have been bullies at some point in their lives and found amusement in attacking those that are different or don't know how to stand up for themselves are able to easier relate more to Incognito in this situation and they don't understand why others react the way they do. They try to make it seem as if what they did wasn't wrong by saying "that's just how it is in the real world" or reasoning that they're trying to toughen the person up, but there's no excuse for getting your jollies off of hurting another person.

Abused women aren't drawn to abusers, abusers are drawn to abused women and they make me sick.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I wonder what percentage of NFL players could be characterized by the behavior amplified in this report? And are we going to make major modifications to existing systems, infringing on the liberties of many, just because of the isolated actions of a few? Any one here actually ever read Marx? This is how he proposed to make social change, and it worked beautifully.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
In reality, I think people that have been bullies at some point in their lives and found amusement in attacking those that are different or don't know how to stand up for themselves are able to easier relate more to Incognito in this situation and they don't understand why others react the way they do. They try to make it seem as if what they did wasn't wrong by saying "that's just how it is in the real world" or reasoning that they're trying to toughen the person up, but there's no excuse for getting your jollies off of hurting another person.

Abused women aren't drawn to abusers, abusers are drawn to abused women and they make me sick.
I take offense at the inference of that statement ,we talk about issues here , not each other

Ram_of_Old

You have to be concerned about Martin. If he goes to another team and this is repeated, then the finger is pointed at him.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I wonder what percentage of NFL players could be characterized by the behavior amplified in this report? And are we going to make major modifications to existing systems, infringing on the liberties of many, just because of the isolated actions of a few? Any one here actually ever read Marx? This is how he proposed to make social change, and it worked beautifully.
I have never been on a team where there wasn't at least one guy bullying another ,usually a younger smaller guy,sometimes it's been the biggest guy on the team sometimes a smaller guy. I'll tell a story about a bully on my baseball team later.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
You have to be concerned about Martin. If he goes to another team and this is repeated, then the finger is pointed at him.
Seriously, what if he melts down a half hour before going on the field in the Super Bowl? it's a concern.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
So the assault on our liberty begins in professional football locker rooms?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

that's you, not Martin. He couldn't deal with it, he knew it, they knew it yet they continued to go on with it. I don't see how he can be blamed at all.

Bullies, by nature, are fuckwits. Nobody to blame but them. They deserve all the grief they get.

Boffo97

Name
Dave

that's you, not Martin. He couldn't deal with it, he knew it, they knew it yet they continued to go on with it. I don't see how he can be blamed at all.

Bullies, by nature, are fuckwits. Nobody to blame but them. They deserve all the grief they get.

I wasn't saying Martin was wrong not to do anything about the remarks. I was responding to the idea that this was all overblown. Cogs stepped WAY over the line.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

What liberties are getting infringed?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I take offense at the inference of that statement ,we talk about issues here , not each other
stop bullying me. where's the nanny state to come protect me from the big bad man. where's the 24/7 surveillance so that the authorities can watch over us and keep us all safe.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
So the assault on our liberty begins in professional football locker rooms?
the public pays close attention to sports and sports figures. so yes, its an ideal stage for indoctrination of the workin' man.

Status
Not open for further replies.