New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I don't totally rule it out, because it is possible. It's also possible Kroenke decides to invest all his money on the research and development of interstellar travel. Simply due to the fact he's capable of doing that, it's within the realm of possibility.

However I haven't seen anything that makes that likely, just as I haven't seen anything that makes the sale of the Rams likely. I've seen some ideas from local beat writers about this happening, but just that. To me that doesn't do much. Don't get me wrong, I see the dots, I just don't see how they actually connect other than people wishful thinking. It seems to be a rumor that is mostly fan based, with a few beat reporters saying its not impossible. With how they word it though, there's no costly signaling, because if they're wrong they can just say "well I guess he didn't really want to sell afterall".
Well, as soon as you can provide me a source (even just a beat writer stating it) that Kroenke is looking toward interstellar travel we can discuss that scenario. ;)

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I'd invest $180mm to gain $60mm. 30% return = no-brainer... unless there are other factors not being factored.

Or,, would I keep the 7 million a year of hotel / bed tax over the last 24 years of the new Riverfront lease term (post ED bond) by not being involved = $ 168 mm (+ the $12mm now to '21 = $180mm) ..... so maybe the risk to reward factor makes it a brainer after all.

Or do they lose the tax bump if the Ed isn't on their books?
From the way it read they would lose the tax bump with the ED off of the books. The tax was created specifically to pay off the bonds. Sounds to me like St. Louis County should want to play ball in the end or lose out.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Well, as soon as you can provide me a source (even just a beat writer stating it) that Kroenke is looking toward interstellar travel we can discuss that scenario. ;)

Hopefully it'll be right after they come up with some information and evidence of Kroenke actually looking to sell the team.(y)

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
For the record as a new member I wanted to make clear to all of the St Louis Based Fans on this board that I'm in no way taunting with my screen name. I've had this call sign for many years on several boards. I was understandably upset when the Rams left my city but since that time I've come to terms with it and I left as well. Don't get me wrong...I would love for the Rams to return to LA for purely logistic concerns. It costs less for me to drive 300 miles to Inglewood than it does for me to fly to St Louis...just sayin. If they stay in St Louis then that is just fine with me as well. I will always be a Rams fan no matter what team moves to Los Angeles.
(y)

Last edited:

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
From the way it read they would lose the tax bump with the ED off of the books. The tax was created specifically to pay off the bonds. Sounds to me like St. Louis County should want to play ball in the end or lose out.
The "passed specifically for stadium funding" verbiage tells it. Busch still get's some though. So perhaps modification. The surplus revenue has been there all along so why would that change?
Who's job is it to repeal/modify the tax bump? And why would they when visitors are used to paying 3.5% already? +$

Last edited:

RamBill

Legend
Rams fans make plea, express concern to NFL
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f96ac6cd-4911-596c-a7e6-5c33cd67e87f.html

Kip Starnes of Sunset Hills was first up during one of the noon focus groups at the L&E Research building in Maplewood.

He was 15 when the football Cardinals left in 1987, and his son Carter is now 15 and wondering if the Rams, too, will be gone after the 2015 season. With Rams executive vice president Kevin Demoff watching and listening behind a one-way window, Starnes spoke from the heart as he addressed the group moderator and about 15 other Rams fans in attendance.

“I was a charter PSL owner in ’95,” Starnes said. “My wife and I were married that February, we had no money to do it. But I was such a big football fan.

“We’re the only city I know that built a stadium without a team (in the early ’90s). We’re now being asked to build another one. I think we can do it.

“And if they turn their backs on us — the league and the owner (Stan Kroenke) — it’s unprecedented. Really I just think it would be a travesty if that happened. Now if we had really done something here to deserve to have this thing pulled out from us a second time. But c’mon. We’re gonna build a second stadium in less than 25 years.”

Starnes said a lot of raw emotion spilled out just during the introductory phase of the 90-minute session, when fans were asked to identify themselves and talk about how long they had followed the Rams.

The focus group meetings Wednesday were a spinoff from email surveys sent out to Rams season-ticket holders past and present, a second phase of a market assessment study by the NFL in St. Louis, Oakland and San Diego — all cities that are in danger of losing their teams to Los Angeles in 2016.

A market study is also being conducted in Los Angeles.

In St. Louis, there were two study groups that began at 7:30 a.m., two more at noon, and then an evening session that began at 6 p.m.

There were about 15 to 20 participants in each focus group, almost all of whom were past or current season-ticket holders. Several missed work or juggled schedules in order to attend.

Some came from as far away as Cape Girardeau, Mo., and the Hannibal-Quincy area, which for those invited to the morning session meant they stayed in St. Louis overnight on Tuesday. Some showed up wearing Rams gear, such as John Potter of St. Peters, who showed up in a blue Marshall Faulk jersey.

In talking with several participants about their focus group experience, there were several common threads:

• Basically all expressed a willingness to buy PSLs for the proposed riverfront stadium on the north edge of downtown.

“I think the general consensus of the people there was yeah, if the Rams make a commitment to stay, they’re willing to pay for the PSLs,” said Dave Watson of Maryland Heights. “Some of these people were willing to write checks for PSLs today.”

Watson, who considered himself a more “cynical” member of his morning focus group, said the group of fans he attends Rams games with was considering sitting out 2015. In other words, not renewing their season tickets this year. But he indicated he’d be back in the stadium if the Rams made a commitment to stay.

• There was dislike, even animosity expressed for Rams owner Stan Kroenke, but there was no name-calling and it didn’t reach the stage where it dominated any of the groups.

“There was a little bit, but it was not a main focus,” John Fitz of Farmington said, when asked about the degree of Kroenke-bashing at the morning session. “It was more focused on getting this new stadium done.”

Things were more intense on that topic at the lunchtime session attended by Starnes and Potter.

“There’s a lot of animosity over Mr. Kroenke right now,” Starnes said. “Could the owner throw us a bone? Could the owner at least say something? Could the owner get (emotionally) invested in the city? If you invest in this town even a little bit — we’re so hungry. ... He’s speaking with his money and his actions developing in another city.”

That last part of Starnes’ remark referred, of course, to Kroenke’s $1.8 billion stadium plan in Inglewood, Calif.

• The overwhelming preference was to keep the Rams in St. Louis; there was much less enthusiasm over buying PSLs for another franchise, such as the Raiders.

“We’ve supported this team,” Watson said. “This is our team. If Kroenke wants to move his team, leave the Rams logo here. There was a general sense of loyalty to the Rams and not so much caring about the stadium but willing to invest to keep them.”

• Those interviewed said there was basically unanimous support for an outdoor stadium, over what some called the sterile environment of the Edward Jones Dome.

The moderators for the focus groups were from the Plano, Texas-based firm of CSL International, the same group that sent out nearly 200,000 emails to Rams season-ticket holders and potential Rams fans several weeks ago.

The group has been involved in several market assessment programs for stadiums in the U.S. and abroad, including the Minnesota Vikings’ football stadium currently under construction.

The focus groups were shown a PowerPoint presentation regarding some of the amenities and price structures for seats at newer NFL stadiums such as in Dallas, San Francisco, New Jersey (for the Jets and Giants) and Minneapolis.

At the end, they were shown a potential price structure for the proposed St. Louis stadium. The consensus was that the pricing structure, which is based off the Minneapolis pricing, was bearable.

“The price structure is quite a bit higher than the PSLs that were charged with the original dome,” Watson said. “But people were saying they’re willing to do this. It wasn’t as much as they thought it might be, and they were braced because they had gone through the survey before. They were braced for big-ticket prices.”

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
The "passed specifically for stadium funding" verbiage tells it. Busch still get's some though. So perhaps modification. The surplus revenue has been there all along so why would that change?
Who's job is it to repeal/modify the tax bump? And why would they when visitors are used to paying 3.5% already? +$
I'm not sure, but I'm willing to bet they don't see as much revenue (if any) after they pay off the EJD after 2021. Maybe the hotel/motel tax rate is lowered just to cover Busch Stadium. I'm not certain, but I think the tax was originally in place for the dome alone. Busch Stadium III came along around 10 years after the EJD, so I'm guessing the taxes were increased to cover it as well.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's a little bit unsettling. I was hoping to see more positive energy from Dierdorf

bluecoconuts

Legend
I wonder how much stock the NFL puts into those surveys and focus groups. I almost get the feeling its none, and just something they do so people feel they're being head. Some of these guys are being openly coached what to say before filling things out or going to the focus groups... Strange

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Famous St Louis Cardinal OL. City icon. Our version of (insert famous old LA Ram lineman here.)
He also was on TV calling games for years. And is also part of the St. Louis CVC.

dan-dierdorf__131120232155.jpg

Oyster

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/15/st-louis-could-be-ramping-up-efforts-to-keep-rams/

"Burwell writes that Kroenke was booed at halftime of Monday night’s loss to the 49ers, a game that celebrated the 15th anniversary of the Greatest Show on Turf."

I can't recall this being brought up, but I really believe that this incident is what could have solidified Stan's decision to move.

Unlikely that he'd let his feelings be hurt over an investment of this magnitude.

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
Ahhhhh, gotcha, thanks.

BC it is also worth noting that he was highly involved with the CVC and the Dome. Dan is a major advocate for STL especially on the sports scene. I was hoping that he would have been move involved in this current process but he has had some pretty serious health issue over the past year or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.