New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oyster

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unlikely that he'd let his feelings be hurt over an investment of this magnitude.

You're probably right, but you never know how big a part ego plays in these rich guy's decisions.

bluecoconuts

Legend
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/15/st-louis-could-be-ramping-up-efforts-to-keep-rams/

"Burwell writes that Kroenke was booed at halftime of Monday night’s loss to the 49ers, a game that celebrated the 15th anniversary of the Greatest Show on Turf."

I can't recall this being brought up, but I really believe that this incident is what could have solidified Stan's decision to move.

I doubt it was, but why was he booed back in October anyway? While there were murmurs, there wasn't much to go on then.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He also was on TV calling games for years. And is also part of the St. Louis CVC.

dan-dierdorf__131120232155.jpg
Besides being one of the best offensive lineman in the history of the NFL!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...not-let-relocation-talk-become-a-distraction/

Jeff Fisher trying to not let relocation talk become a distraction
Posted by Darin Gantt on April 2, 2015

13edb04dcc3e72c4678912d8c750eee8.jpeg
Getty Images

Very few people in the NFL know the realities and complications of the relocation process quite like Rams coach Jeff Fisher.

But he’s learned from experience that there’s nothing he can do about it, other than focus on his job.

With the speculation at a fever pitch about the possibility of Rams owner Stan Kroenke taking his ball and going to Los Angeles, Fisher hears plenty of questions, but has some variation of the same answer.

“I’m looking forward to this year in St. Louis and hoping we can get things worked out,” Fisher said, via Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “It makes no sense for me or the players to spend time concerned about it, worried about it. If it happens, it happens. . . .

“You know, I’ve had some discussion with the players. And they’re actually more excited right now about what we’ve done in free agency, and looking forward to what we’re doing in the draft, and looking forward to coming back to work than they are talking about any potential to relocate.”

Fisher had ringside seats for this process once before, as the coach of the Houston Oilers, who left Texas after the 1996 season. They camped for a year in Memphis (1997) and in Vanderbilt’s stadium (1998) before landing fully in their own stadium as the Tennessee Titans. It worked out well, since they went to the Super Bowl shortly thereafter.

“Having gone through it however, I don’t think it’d be fair to compare both situations,” Fisher said. “But the end result was good [in Tennessee]. . . .But going to ’96 and early ’97, we focused on our job. I remember back then telling them don’t worry about it. It’s out of our control.”

That’ll be easier to sell as long as the Rams are competitive this year. But if things turn south, it’ll be harder and harder to keep his players from letting their thoughts drift to the west, or his fanbase from packing it in.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher won't let relocation talk become a distraction

By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL writer
Published: April 2, 2015 at 02:10 p.m.
Updated: April 2, 2015 at 02:58 p.m.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...t-to-let-relocation-talk-become-a-distraction

With owner Stan Kroenke planning to build a football stadium in California, speculation that the St. Louis Rams will once again become the Los Angeles Rams isn't going away anytime soon.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher has heard all the rumors and prefers to try to ignore them.

NFL Now delivers a non-stop video stream highlighting the next generation of NFL talent in preparation for the 2015 NFL Draft. Start using it now!

"I'm looking forward to this year in St. Louis and hoping we can get things worked out," Fisher said, per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "It makes no sense for me or the players to spend time concerned about it, worried about it. If it happens, it happens."

The biggest hurdle will be when his players are asked repeatedly this summer about a potential move -- and by locals to proclaim their loyalty to St. Louis.

"You know, I've had some discussion with the players," Fisher said. "And they're actually more excited right now about what we've done in free agency, and looking forward to what we're doing in the draft, and looking forward to coming back to work than they are talking about any potential to relocate."

Fisher has prior experience with relocations. As the coach of the former Houston Oilers, his team moved to Tennessee after the 1996 season.

"Having gone through it however, I don't think it'd be fair to compare both situations," Fisher said. "But the end result was good (in Tennessee) ... But going to '96 and early '97, we focused on our job. I remember back then telling them don't worry about it. It's out of our control."

Fisher will run that advice back again this season in St. Louis.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
Last edited:

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
I'm not sure, but I'm willing to bet they don't see as much revenue (if any) after they pay off the EJD after 2021. Maybe the hotel/motel tax rate is lowered just to cover Busch Stadium. I'm not certain, but I think the tax was originally in place for the dome alone. Busch Stadium III came along around 10 years after the EJD, so I'm guessing the taxes were increased to cover it as well.
That 1 to 2 million surplus revenue has been in place. Also it could be allocated for other things so I'm not so sure they are going to take that away. Also we are all assuming that that was profit from the tweet. Again, it may go toward other things.
My guess is that the county is the entity that bumped the bed tax on visitors. They don't have to repeal that bump and frankly might be foolish to do so. I think that region is going to need every revenue stream it can find if that stadium get's built.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Maybe if Stan and his staff had shown STL any enthusiasm like they did the night in SD, he might have gotten more applause. Just because it wasn't reported on ESPN or given much airtime, doesn't mean there wasn't a legion of people who were convinced he was going to try to move the team back in 2010. I remember arguing the opposite for a long time. I've gotten a lot of I told you so's. I mean he bought the land in February 2014. Anyone who wasn't suspicious at that was sticking their head in the sand.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
Maybe if Stan and his staff had shown STL any enthusiasm like they did the night in SD, he might have gotten more applause. Just because it wasn't reported on ESPN or given much airtime, doesn't mean there wasn't a legion of people who were convinced he was going to try to move the team back in 2010. I remember arguing the opposite for a long time. I've gotten a lot of I told you so's. I mean he bought the land in February 2014. Anyone who wasn't suspicious at that was sticking their head in the sand.

The bolded you may have misunderstood. The fans made noise the owner noticed. The owner was his silent as usual self. Some leakage from the owners meetings let us in on what ESK and the league (according to reports) perceived.

I too had noticed signs as far back as 2010. Then it really ramped up with the pre-arbitration request to upgrade the ED. That is when StL should have paid attention. However, if every signal from ESK has been misread by us, local and national sportswriters, all this is going to bring about a lot better football experience at Riverfront Rams games. Better than the ED could have ever been.

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
The bolded you may have misunderstood. The fans made noise the owner noticed. The owner was his silent as usual self. Some leakage from the owners meetings let us in on what ESK and the league (according to reports) perceived.

I too had noticed signs as far back as 2010. Then it really ramped up with the pre-arbitration request to upgrade the ED. That is when StL should have paid attention. However, if every signal from ESK has been misread by us, local and national sportswriters, all this is going to bring about a lot better football experience at Rams games. Better than the ED could have ever been.

I take it you were never at the EJD when the Rams were good. The football experience is driven by the quality of the team on the field. Didn't seem to have problems with the dome in 2004, the last year we were relevant.

I don't really think I misunderstood at all. It was apparent by that time he was at least considering a move. Couple that with the love-in Demoff was having that night plus the gushing coverage Fox gave, it's no wonder he was applauded.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
I take it you were never at the EJD when the Rams were good. The football experience is driven by the quality of the team on the field. Didn't seem to have problems with the dome in 2004, the last year we were relevant.

I don't really think I misunderstood at all. It was apparent by that time he was at least considering a move. Couple that with the love-in Demoff was having that night plus the gushing coverage Fox gave, it's no wonder he was applauded.
No Blue4, I never have been. My mom grew up over in KC and while visiting relatives, I almost timed it a couple years ago. Still want to.
The ED on TV seemed so dark and dreary. The strangest part is/was the sound though. I guess the network broadcasters are behind glass in their booth. The sound engineer / directors kept the crowd noise (you usually hear bleed through the announcers mic's) down to a dull roar. It never sounds loud, even when they say it is.
If they stay I'm really stoked to see them outdoors on grass. I know your town could really use that face lift too.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
No Blue4, I never have been. My mom grew up over in KC and while visiting relatives, I almost timed it a couple years ago. Still want to.
The ED on TV seemed so dark and dreary. The strangest part is/was the sound though. I guess the network broadcasters are behind glass in their booth. The sound engineer / directors kept the crowd noise (you usually hear bleed through the announcers mic's) down to a dull roar. It never sounds loud, even when they say it is.
If they stay I'm really stoked to see them outdoors on grass. I know your town could really use that face lift too.

Yeah, the area proposed for the new stadium is definitely in need of facelift. And its past time for this city to have an iconic football stadium. But the ED when we were good was deafening. It's all about the team on the field.

D L

Rookie
Name
Dylan
Can anyone honestly blame St. Louis fans for booing Kroenke during that Monday night game?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Yeah, the area proposed for the new stadium is definitely in need of facelift. And its past time for this city to have an iconic football stadium. But the ED when we were good was deafening. It's all about the team on the field.

Fisher half-jokingly has said on more than one occasion that he doesn't want to know what's happening on the relocation front. That way, he can just plead ignorance. But he did concede last week that he's taken a peek at the latest renderings of the St. Louis riverfront stadium project.

"I saw some things three, four weeks ago," Fisher said. "I thought the location's ideal. And I think the game should be played on grass. Outside. So that's a plus."

Fisher likes the outdoor stadium plan, at least.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...4-8a7c-36dbb9f18065.html#.VR17SQf_TlI.twitter

MrMotes

Starter
Fisher better figure out how to win more than 7 games or it probably won't much matter to him where the Rams play...

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Dude, when the Rams were good the EJD was straight up rocking and I mean REALLY loud. It literally was deafening and you could not hear what the person next to you was saying even if they yelled. That was quite the home field advantage. Ask any player who played in the NFL in that area and most would tell you they did not want to travel to St. Louis. The GSOT along with the croud noise? It gave Seattle's home field advantage a run for their money.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I doubt it was, but why was he booed back in October anyway? While there were murmurs, there wasn't much to go on then.
There were only murmurs, but SK was being very silent and it pissed a lot of the locals off that he didn't make a statement one way or another about committing to the area. I remember during that time I was thinking I better get my ass down to some more games because this could be my last season seeing this team in St. Louis with all of the rumors swirling.

Status
Not open for further replies.