New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think St Louis wants the name and history as well, so they probably see it as a loss. Players come and go, the Rams won the Super Bowl, not the (insert new name here), if they're going to get a new team, they're gonna get a new team.
Maybe so. But how many might rather have a team with a name that hasn't been used before so there is no mixed history and battle between cities? Would a team with no history in another city (LA) be looked at more as St Louis' own team? Does that give them a fresh start and a feeling they aint going anywhere? I don't know but I have to wonder.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Maybe so. But how many might rather have a team with a name that hasn't been used before so there is no mixed history and battle between cities? Would a team with no history in another city (LA) be looked at more as St Louis' own team? Does that give them a fresh start and a feeling they aint going anywhere? I don't know but I have to wonder.

Not to mention starting fresh with a solid QB and a stud line backer. The only way it works though is if the Davis family isn't involved. It would have to be new ownership as well.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not to mention starting fresh with a solid QB and a stud line backer. The only way it works though is if the Davis family isn't involved. It would have to be new ownership as well.
I'd have to agree. My uncle was a business partner of Al's many years ago. He doesn't have many kind words for his son. Hard to believe the son is apparently more screwed up than his pops.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'd have to agree. My uncle was a business partner of Al's many years ago. He doesn't have many kind words for his son. Hard to believe the son is apparently more screwed up than his pops.

Maybe they could keep the bad boy spirit of the team, and name them the St. Louis Bandits. This logo is pretty dope. I'd change the colors to black and red, though.

stock-photo-graphic-mascot-image-of-a-cowboy-with-a-cowboy-hat-and-bandanna-109600550.jpg

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
So this would mean if the St. Louis County is not involved in extending the bonds, they would lose out on the $1-$2 million per year revenue after 2021?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So this would mean if the St. Louis County is not involved in extending the bonds, they would lose out on the $1-$2 million per year revenue after 2021?
AHA! There might be the rub. Don't wanna play ball? Fine. You lose.

You may be dead on the money here. Good catch DB.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

That's the way it reads to me too. If they were to extend them another 30 years, that would be up to $60 million that they lose out on.

Also, it seems to me that it would be a no brainer for the city to vote to extend. It would be a really good deal just to get rid of the blighted area. Also, I wonder if the city enjoys the same 1-2$ million a year as well.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD

I'd invest $180mm to gain $60mm. 30% return = no-brainer... unless there are other factors not being factored.

Or,, would I keep the 7 million a year of hotel / bed tax over the last 24 years of the new Riverfront lease term (post ED bond) by not being involved = $ 168 mm (+ the $12mm now to '21 = $180mm) ..... so maybe the risk to reward factor makes it a brainer after all.

Or do they lose the tax bump if the Ed isn't on their books?

Last edited:

myronjax

UDFA
For all of you smart folks out there-no sarcasm intended-could someone clarify an issue for me. I've read several articles that seem to have different angles on the State/County financing issue. One angle states that Gov Nixon gave the County a hall pass, for now, because of the PR of a public vote that goes negative. The other angle is that they get the hall pass because time is of the essence and a public vote would take too long to achieve, thus derailing the stadium efforts. Is it #1, #2, or both? Thanks for any thoughts!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Maybe they could keep the bad boy spirit of the team, and name them the St. Louis Bandits. This logo is pretty dope. I'd change the colors to black and red, though.

stock-photo-graphic-mascot-image-of-a-cowboy-with-a-cowboy-hat-and-bandanna-109600550.jpg
I'd be shocked if the NFL would endorse "Bandits" as a team name. Sends the wrong message..Cool Logo though.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'd be shocked if the NFL would endorse "Bandits" as a team name. Sends the wrong message..Cool Logo though.

Does it send any worse of a message than Raiders does? Especially with crossed swords on the logo? The site I found that one on had some with guns, but I intentionally left it off to not include any weapons.

RamBill

Legend
The St. Louis stadium task force chose to forego asking St. Louis County taxpayers to help fund a potential new riverfront stadium due to the uncertainty of a public vote, David Hunn of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch told The Ryan Kelley Morning After on Tuesday.

Listen to Hunn Talk Stadium News

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Does it send any worse of a message than Raiders does? Especially with crossed swords on the logo? The site I found that one on had some with guns, but I intentionally left it off to not include any weapons.

I concur, but I'm not sure if they would endorse the Raider name in today's day in age just like the Redskins...Texans & Titans were former NFL Teams (Dallas & New York) and Ravens, well, we know the NFL loves birds for names. Compelling debate hopefully we don't have to find out as the Rams stay in St. Louis.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm not ruling anything out or assuming anything either.

Too many people passing along similar rumors to just dismiss something because looking at it from one direction doesn't seem to make sense.

I don't totally rule it out, because it is possible. It's also possible Kroenke decides to invest all his money on the research and development of interstellar travel. Simply due to the fact he's capable of doing that, it's within the realm of possibility.

However I haven't seen anything that makes that likely, just as I haven't seen anything that makes the sale of the Rams likely. I've seen some ideas from local beat writers about this happening, but just that. To me that doesn't do much. Don't get me wrong, I see the dots, I just don't see how they actually connect other than people wishful thinking. It seems to be a rumor that is mostly fan based, with a few beat reporters saying its not impossible. With how they word it though, there's no costly signaling, because if they're wrong they can just say "well I guess he didn't really want to sell afterall".

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
I don't totally rule it out, because it is possible. It's also possible Kroenke decides to invest all his money on the research and development of interstellar travel. Simply due to the fact he's capable of doing that, it's within the realm of possibility.

However I haven't seen anything that makes that likely, just as I haven't seen anything that makes the sale of the Rams likely. I've seen some ideas from local beat writers about this happening, but just that. To me that doesn't do much. Don't get me wrong, I see the dots, I just don't see how they actually connect other than people wishful thinking. It seems to be a rumor that is mostly fan based, with a few beat reporters saying its not impossible. With how they word it though, there's no costly signaling, because if they're wrong they can just say "well I guess he didn't really want to sell afterall".
But I thought fantasy football was real?

bluecoconuts

Legend
For all of you smart folks out there-no sarcasm intended-could someone clarify an issue for me. I've read several articles that seem to have different angles on the State/County financing issue. One angle states that Gov Nixon gave the County a hall pass, for now, because of the PR of a public vote that goes negative. The other angle is that they get the hall pass because time is of the essence and a public vote would take too long to achieve, thus derailing the stadium efforts. Is it #1, #2, or both? Thanks for any thoughts!

I think it's probably a bit of both. They say they don't need them, but its not clear if they don't need them because they have another source, or don't need them because they don't think they will go for the deal (like someone saying "I don't need your charity").. I don't think they have the financing for their portion lined up yet, but I'm pretty confident they will get financing done.

Status
Not open for further replies.