New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
http://fox5sandiego.com/2015/04/01/scott-sherman-to-reveal-funding-options-for-chargers-stadium/

Councilman to present ideas for new Chargers stadium

qualcomm.jpg

SAN DIEGO – San Diego City Councilman Scott Sherman will present his ideas for building a new Chargers stadium in Mission Valley as well as possible ways to fund the development at a Wednesday morning news conference.

Sherman says he has a broad vision for redeveloping the current 166-acre Qualcomm Stadium site that includes residential, commercial, and retail properties centered around a new riverfront park. The councilman, whose district includes Qualcomm Stadium, has apparently developed the proposal separately form the Citizens Stadium Advisory Committee appointed by Mayor Kevin Faulconer.

Sherman’s news conference is set to begin at 11 a.m. Councilman Chris Cate, former Chargers Pro Bowl linebacker Shawne Merriman, London Group Realty Advisors President Gary London, and Rob Hutsel, the Executive Director of the San Diego River Park Foundation, are expected to be there.

Sherman said he will submit his plan Citizens Stadium Advisory Committee for their consideration.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
This stadium saga story is crazy. Everyday something pops up.

I think by the next owners meeting (May 18-20) will have a pretty good idea how these stadiums will be financed.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
This stadium saga story is crazy. Everyday something pops up.

I think by the next owners meeting (May 18-20) will have a pretty good idea how these stadiums will be financed.
I know, this is starting to feel like a soap opera

Like sands through an hour glass: these are the...
days-of-our-lives.jpg

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I can't see the NFL allowing that to happen though. I think a few guys are willing to invest, but I'm wondering what they get for it. Obviously they won't get part of the team, so then do they get returns from the stadium? Would that upset Kroenke?

Would either of them be willing to sell? I don't either of them would be at this point. Davis might be willing to give up a portion though.
I'd suspect that either might be in some capacity. It has been widely speculated as such and I think it is reasonable to assume that there is at least some fire where that smoke comes from.

I'm also not ruling out that one potential outcome is Kroenke builds that stadium and has 2 tenants in it. I wouldn't bet on that happening but I just can't rule anything out at this point. This entire situation has been wild and unpredictable.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
http://fox5sandiego.com/2015/04/01/scott-sherman-to-reveal-funding-options-for-chargers-stadium/

Sherman said he will submit his plan Citizens Stadium Advisory Committee for their consideration.

I can't tell if this bodes well or ill for SD plans. On one hand it is great that multiple plans are being tossed out....on the other it seems odd that a councilman needs to work outside the rest of the city to come up with a plan, especially since he should have some info on what is going on and this could mean that he feels their progress is lackluster or not in the right direction.

On the other hand maybe he is just trying to save the project for his part of the city instead a different district. Not sure if this will just cause more chaos and infighting in SD (which seems to have plenty already) or indicate improved interest and better hope for the city....

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I'd suspect that either might be in some capacity. It has been widely speculated as such and I think it is reasonable to assume that there is at least some fire where that smoke comes from.

I'm also not ruling out that one potential outcome is Kroenke builds that stadium and has 2 tenants in it. I wouldn't bet on that happening but I just can't rule anything out at this point. This entire situation has been wild and unpredictable.

Been whispers fora long time that the NFL would love to get Davis out of the NFL. That family has burned a lot of bridges and the organization is more often than not a joke around the league. Honestly if Davis owns the team and they move to STL I expect it not to go well....

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
Been whispers fora long time that the NFL would love to get Davis out of the NFL. That family has burned a lot of bridges and the organization is more often than not a joke around the league. Honestly if Davis owns the team and they move to STL I expect it not to go well....
I hope Davis get's out of the business. Retire a rich retired son Mark.
Leave the Raider uniform and history in Oakland. Sell the franchise to StL investors who start from scratch with a new team name, all StL.

Of course StL would lose the Rams (uni-history) which I imagine isn't at the top of the priority list.

Frankly, most of us in LA just want the uniform and history back. So what if Kroenke and Davis swapped teams?
Davis relinquishes the Raiders logo and such to Oakland for future expansion.
The current Ram players stay in StL wearing a new StL uniform under new StL managment.
The Raider players become the LA Rams and go to LA to play in Kroenke's palace under Raiders management (for now).
Lastly, the 99 Superbowl banner is shared or more likely should go to StL's new named franchise along with the StL Cardinals history?

New stadiums in LA and StL which solve the NFL's problems. Chargers have an option. League still has leverage. StL has a team. LA has the Rams.

Everybody but Oakland wins with a compromise.

Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend

Maybe if he was being offered the Broncos, but that would need to happen now, and it isn't and likely won't. Once he builds the stadium, he knows he can't move the Broncos there, so there is no incentive to sell. He wants to be an owner, he's not short on funds, why would he sell? He would make far more money having a team play in Inglewood than just simply being a renter. I just don't see anything that suggests Kroenke is willing or thinking about selling.

Davis I can see, but if he is trying to make daddy proud, then he might not, I'm noy so sure with him. Kroenke selling the Rams seems more like wishful thinking to me, I've never seen anything to suggest that's a decent possibility.

Here is one of the proposals. This is from today. Nice rendering.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...Park-Proposal-Chargers-Sherman-298334961.html

With that arch over the top it looks like it belongs more in St Louis. I dig it though.

I hope Davis get's out of the business. Retire a rich retired son Mark. Leave the Raider uniform and history in Oakland. Sell the franchise to StL investors who start from scratch with a new team name, all StL.
Of course you'd lose the Rams which I imagine isn't at the top of the priority list.

Frankly, most of us in LA just want the uniform and history back. So what if Kroenke and Davis swapped teams?
The current Ram players stay in StL wearing a new StL uniform.
The Raider players become the Rams and go to LA to play in Kroenke's palace.
Lastly, the 99 Superbowl banner is shared or more likely should go to StL's new named franchise along with the StL Cardinals history?

I think St Louis wants the name and history as well, so they probably see it as a loss. Players come and go, the Rams won the Super Bowl, not the (insert new name here), if they're going to get a new team, they're gonna get a new team.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
I think St Louis wants the name and history as well, so they probably see it as a loss. Players come and go, the Rams won the Super Bowl, not the (insert new name here), if they're going to get a new team, they're gonna get a new team.

That's why I called it a solution in 'compromise'. Beats all or nothing. Just thought I'd see what y'all might think considering there is a chance they leave nothing but crickets.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He wants to be an owner, he's not short on funds, why would he sell? He would make far more money having a team play in Inglewood than just simply being a renter. I just don't see anything that suggests Kroenke is willing or thinking about selling.

Davis I can see, but if he is trying to make daddy proud, then he might not, I'm noy so sure with him. Kroenke selling the Rams seems more like wishful thinking to me, I've never seen anything to suggest that's a decent possibility.
I agree completely regarding Stan. I cant comprehend how selling the Rams is in his best interest in any scenario.
As for Davis, he only owns like 47%? Curious if the other owners have a right of first refusal option like Stan exercised.

bluecoconuts

Legend
That's why I called it a solution in 'compromise'. Beats all or nothing. Just thought I'd see what y'all might think considering there is a chance they leave nothing but crickets.

I get that most in St Louis would rather a team than no team, but I don't think that would really change much vs Raiders moving there and Rams leaving for LA. A better team initially and familiar players I guess, but in the grand scheme its still different.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
I get that most in St Louis would rather a team than no team, but I don't think that would really change much vs Raiders moving there and Rams leaving for LA. A better team initially and familiar players I guess, but in the grand scheme its still different.
I'm sure they would. If it's not the Rams it would almost have to be the Raider or bust. My scenario as you surmised gives you the familiar players, coaching staff, the new stadium, less infrastructure movement and a team called StL Somethings. Raiders come in to LA we get our uni back but with the Raiders players and management.
Wait I'm digging this less and less the more I type...

bluecoconuts

Legend
I agree completely regarding Stan. I cant comprehend how selling the Rams is in his best interest in any scenario.
As for Davis, he only owns like 47%? Curious if the other owners have a right of first refusal option like Stan exercised.

I didn't know that, looking around it seems the rest of the owners (like 6 other individuals and the McGah family) have limited ability, and not much (if any) say. An article says they aren't in line to take any power after Davis, and are mostly widows and children of owners and investors. My guess is they don't have any right to first refusal like Stan did.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD

Somewhat current Raiders ownership structure

Legally, the club is a limited partnership with nine partners — Davis' heirs and the heirs of the original eight team partners. From 1972 onward, Davis had exercised near-complete control as president of the team's general partner, A.D. Football, Inc. Although exact ownership stakes are not known, it has been reported that Davis owned 47% of the team shares before his death in 2011.

Ed McGah, the last of the original eight general partners of the Raiders, died in September 1983. Upon his death, his interest was devised to a family trust, of which his son, E.J. McGah, was the trustee. The younger McGah was himself a part-owner of the team, as a limited partner, and died in 2002. Several members of the McGah family filed suit against Davis in October 2003, alleging mismanagement of the team by Davis. The lawsuit sought monetary damages and to remove Davis and A. D. Football, Inc. as the team's managing general partner. Among their specific complaints, the McGahs alleged that Davis failed to provide them with detailed financial information previously provided to Ed and E.J. McGah. The Raiders countered that—under the terms of the partnership agreement as amended in 1972—upon the death of the elder McGah in 1983, his general partner interest converted to that of a limited partner. The team continued to provide the financial information to the younger McGah as a courtesy, though it was under no obligation to do so.

The majority of the lawsuit was dismissed in April 2004, when an Alameda County Superior Court judge ruled that the case lacked merit since none of the other partners took part in the lawsuit. In October 2005, the lawsuit was settled out of court. The terms of the settlement are confidential, but it was reported that under its terms Davis purchased the McGah family's interest in the Raiders (approximately 31 percent), which gave him for the first time a majority interest, speculated to be approximately 67 percent of the team. As a result of the settlement, confidential details concerning Al Davis and the ownership of the Raiders were not released to the public. His ownership share went down to 47% when he sold 20% of the team to Wall Street investors

In 2006, it was reported that Davis had been attempting to sell the 31% ownership stake in the team obtained from the McGah family. He was unsuccessful in this effort, reportedly because the sale would not give the purchaser any control of the Raiders, even in the event of Davis's death.

Al Davis died on October 8, 2011, at 82. According to a 1999 partnership agreement, Davis' interest passed to his wife, Carol. After Davis' death, Raiders chief executive Amy Trask said that the team "will remain in the Davis family."[1] Al and Carol's son, Mark, inherited his father's old post as managing general partner and serves as the public face of the ownership.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_Raiders#Current_ownership_structure

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Maybe if he was being offered the Broncos, but that would need to happen now, and it isn't and likely won't. Once he builds the stadium, he knows he can't move the Broncos there, so there is no incentive to sell. He wants to be an owner, he's not short on funds, why would he sell? He would make far more money having a team play in Inglewood than just simply being a renter. I just don't see anything that suggests Kroenke is willing or thinking about selling.

With that arch over the top it looks like it belongs more in St Louis. I dig it though.

I'm not ruling anything out or assuming anything either.

Too many people passing along similar rumors to just dismiss something because looking at it from one direction doesn't seem to make sense.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I hope Davis get's out of the business. Retire a rich retired son Mark.
Leave the Raider uniform and history in Oakland. Sell the franchise to StL investors who start from scratch with a new team name, all StL.

Of course StL would lose the Rams (uni-history) which I imagine isn't at the top of the priority list.

The current Ram players stay in StL wearing a new StL uniform under new StL managment.
The Raider players become the LA Rams and go to LA to play in Kroenke's palace under Raiders management (for now).

New stadiums in LA and StL which solve the NFL's problems. Chargers have an option. League still has leverage. StL has a team. LA has the Rams.

I think a lot of people would be willing to live with that, it's just not easy to put it together

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think a lot of people would be willing to live with that, it's just not easy to put it together
Yeah - it sounds like a nightmare to manage. I would think (and I'm not suggesting it) it would be a crap load easier to move teams than swap owners and move one of the teams as well. Can you imagine the research and filings alone in trying to take what Davis has and restructure it to what Stan has done? Many years ago, it would have been pretty manageable and most know the Rams and Colts did almost exactly that. Now? Yikes!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm sure they would. If it's not the Rams it would almost have to be the Raider or bust. My scenario as you surmised gives you the familiar players, coaching staff, the new stadium, less infrastructure movement and a team called StL Somethings. Raiders come in to LA we get our uni back but with the Raiders players and management.
Wait I'm digging this less and less the more I type...

I'm going to guess Stan would have thrown up in his mouth a bit if he read the italicized part. One thing Stan is famous for is hiring the right people. Davis? Not so sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.