New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecoconuts

Legend
A superfluous $180 million? Does that sound right to you? If the reasoning is that they don't think they have the votes in the county that houses the stadium, what does that say about the support throughout the state? Does anyone think the NFL wouldn't look at that in determining support for the project?

Maybe it makes the financing simpler for the Governor but is that funding that Stan can argue should have been put into the project rather than asking him for it? Just spit balling here but it seems like a bad move and that a better move would have been to work to gain public support within the county.

It's interesting, they suggested the city/state take on their share (90 million if split down the middle), but if they're worried about the county shouldn't they be worried about the state? Does the state not need the vote, or is that something that is going on the assumption that the bonds will be extended? The article wasn't very well written in the sense it didn't really break things down clearly as far as I can tell (I was reading it quickly before my lecture started though) but it seems that they're not including St Louis County, and saying they don't need to use them. However they don't have any plan at this point, and suggest the city/state takes the county's portion, or the owner does (so Kroenke now would need to pay about 600 million?) as well as mention the uncertainty of how a vote would play out. To me that says they're not pulling out because they have something else lined up, but rather because they don't trust the vote to go in their favor... Again though, the article doesn't really seem to make it very clear.

I definitely think it gives Kroenke more ammo for his case to move if that's what he truly wants to do at this point. If they figure things out by May 18 (League meetings, so I'm assuming that's when the Inglewood pitch will be made to owners) then it wont really matter, but if not... They need financing and land acquisition finished ASAP.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
A superfluous $180 million? Does that sound right to you? If the reasoning is that they don't think they have the votes in the county that houses the stadium, what does that say about the support throughout the state? Does anyone think the NFL wouldn't look at that in determining support for the project?

Maybe it makes the financing simpler for the Governor but is that funding that Stan can argue should have been put into the project rather than asking him for it? Just spit balling here but it seems like a bad move and that a better move would have been to work to gain public support within the county.

Well we've now had Peacock and the leader of the house fiscal committee say they are looking at different ways of funding. Let's just sit back and wait for what's to come. I bet we get word by the may owners' meetings

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well we've now had Peacock and the leader of the house fiscal committee say they are looking at different ways of funding. Let's just sit back and wait for what's to come. I bet we get word by the may owners' meetings
Yeah - I agree that the proof will be in the pudding. I'm just wondering how it looks to others here. I realize it means virtually zero in the great scheme of things but you guys in the St Louis area would have a better feel on how that is going to play or where the public really lies on all this. We are in a pretty pro Rams environment here (I know - duh - right?). Speaking for myself, that makes me pretty shielded from the actual public sentiment that you guys probably have a better grasp of.

Personally, I don't get how the county could vote against it. Don't they and the city itself have the most to gain?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Yeah - I agree that the proof will be in the pudding. I'm just wondering how it looks to others here. I realize it means virtually zero in the great scheme of things but you guys in the St Louis area would have a better feel on how that is going to play or where the public really lies on all this. We are in a pretty pro Rams environment here (I know - duh - right?). Speaking for myself, that makes me pretty shielded from the actual public sentiment that you guys probably have a better grasp of.

Personally, I don't get how the county could vote against it. Don't they and the city itself have the most to gain?
The problem is that there is such a huge contingent of people that have blinders on to the situation entirely. People won't really do any research on the matter and will simply see it as "corporate welfare" or "putting money in Kroenke's pocket". Simply put, people aren't interested in finding out how this stadium could positively impact the area they only see it as public dollars going to a billionaire.

You've got to remember, there are people who simply aren't sport fans and don't have a vested interest in understanding there is more to it than just keeping a football team buy dishing out millions of dollars.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Voting against one's own self interest is something we Missourians excel at.

RamBill

Legend
For now, St. Louis County taxpayers will not be asked to support a new football stadium on the downtown St. Louis riverfront. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that a senior aide to Gov. Jay Nixon called St. Louis County Executive Steve Stenger’s office last week and said “St. Louis County’s participation would not be necessary in the stadium deal.” KPLR has the story:

Watch KPLR St.Louis County Story

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
The article is very misleading. The task force decided that they didn't want to go through a showdown with the county so they opt'd to skip involving them in the process. That does not mean they aren't going to involve the county down the road but they don't want to count on them to achieve their goal. People that are much smarter than I am and are involved in this process are very confident that this thing gets done. I am actually shocked how confident they are. As someone recently told me "Deals are made behind close doors, not in the eye of the public".

Yeah, I don't know how anyone doesn't view this as a good thing for the Rams to stay in St. Louis. They basically said we don't need your money

Sum1

Hall of Fame
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>From <a href="https://twitter.com/davidhunn">@davidhunn</a> on <a href="https://twitter.com/TMASTL">@TMASTL</a>: Over the last 24 hrs, I&#39;m hearing there are a lot of options on financing. One of those is a private investor.</p>&mdash; Tim McKernan (@tmckernan) <a href="
View: https://twitter.com/tmckernan/status/583250661258706944
">April 1, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just as I suspected...

tonyl711

Starter
They'll have to offer incentive for 6 million per year. Its not a death blow by any means, but it does complicate things, and gives more ammo to Kroenke.

Khan didn't move to the US until he was 16. He has lived here many a moons, but I wouldn't say he grew up here. I moved to the US when I was a teenager, I wouldn't say I grew up here. That doesn't mean I don't love it or anything. I just wouldn't say Khan grew up there though.

Throwback gear is lisenced, and legit.
throw back gear yes, but he was saying that it was new LA Rams gear not throwback, he was mistaken, no biggie.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA

The two hate each other...seriously them coming together for the current stadium was like an act of God. Yeah it will help them also, but good luck getting them to admit it. Not real sure what to compare it to but there are likely other examples around in other cities/states.

iced

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>From <a href="https://twitter.com/davidhunn">@davidhunn</a> on <a href="https://twitter.com/TMASTL">@TMASTL</a>: Over the last 24 hrs, I&#39;m hearing there are a lot of options on financing. One of those is a private investor.</p>&mdash; Tim McKernan (@tmckernan) <a href="
View: https://twitter.com/tmckernan/status/583250661258706944
">April 1, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just as I suspected...

hmmmm - wondering who

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This news could be an indication that the financing has progressed to the point that other contributions made the $6M superfluous, or on the other hand it could mean that the Governor is concerned that the County would have voted against the funds, and this result would have had far more propaganda impact re "lack of support" than the need for the $6M. In other words, they couldn't afford to have the County vote against the project, so they had to circumvent the County and try to get the money elsewhere. No way to tell from the article itself.

Just a gut... but I have a feeling it's the former.

I just have this feeling they are further along on the financing than anyone thinks.

Again, just my gut (it's pretty big too! :))

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I wonder if they're going the GB Packers route. Maybe St.Louis wants to publicly own the Rams? It would be great for the city.
The Packers are grandfathered in that way...the NFL will not allow a team to be owned that way anymore.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
hmmmm - wondering who
My guess is either Andy Taylor/Enterprise or David Steward/World Wide Technologies...or some combination of the two or more.

I'd also like to add my own totally fabricated speculative theory. Andy Taylor and David Steward pay the brunt of the stadium and buy either the Rams from Kroenke or the Raiders from Davis.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I wonder if they're going the GB Packers route. Maybe St.Louis wants to publicly own the Rams? It would be great for the city.

I can't see the NFL allowing that to happen though. I think a few guys are willing to invest, but I'm wondering what they get for it. Obviously they won't get part of the team, so then do they get returns from the stadium? Would that upset Kroenke?

I'd also like to add my own totally fabricated speculative theory. Andy Taylor and David Steward pay the brunt of the stadium and buy either the Rams from Kroenke or the Raiders from Davis.

Would either of them be willing to sell? I don't either of them would be at this point. Davis might be willing to give up a portion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.