My Unpopular Rams Opinions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Why we need a CB early .... we only have TWO that can actually play and in today's NFL you better have at LEAST 3 or more. You can NEVER have enough good CB's. FS .... well our back end is the weakest in our division as a whole. I liked what we saw limited in TJ McD but he needs a partner back there. a STUD. Nickel Defense is almost a base D nowadays and we need to bolster that end up. Finnegan did not show much and may well be gone with his cap # McGee was ... meh. Might get better but if we can upgrade it, why not?

I agree on the OG being more of a need than an OT. But guy who can swing would be great.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why we need a CB early .... we only have TWO that can actually play and in today's NFL you better have at LEAST 3 or more. You can NEVER have enough good CB's. FS .... well our back end is the weakest in our division as a whole. I liked what we saw limited in TJ McD but he needs a partner back there. a STUD. Nickel Defense is almost a base D nowadays and we need to bolster that end up. Finnegan did not show much and may well be gone with his cap # McGee was ... meh. Might get better but if we can upgrade it, why not?

I agree on the OG being more of a need than an OT. But guy who can swing would be great.

I just don't think we NEED a CB in the 1st. I'd be fine with adding one in the 2nd or 3rd round though

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
#1. You must be a fan of off-coverage then. Because the weak link at safety caused us to abandon press coverage.
#2. I'm prone to agree. I think the corners will get their minds right, and you can find decent corners in FA or later in the draft.
#3. Agree. Especially considering Stacy/Cunningham's running style.

On 1 I will say this.

One guy in back that is an enforcer will change that 17 effing yard cushion the DBs were giving last year.

V3

Hall of Fame
I just don't think we NEED a CB in the 1st. I'd be fine with adding one in the 2nd or 3rd round though

Like I said in my original post, I agree that the Rams don't "need" to draft one in the first. My question to you becomes, then what do the Rams absolutely NEED to draft in the first round? You mentioned OG(not a fan of taking a G in the first unless they are an absolute stud and it seem like too many have been getting over-hyped in recent history). We have two picks so if you'd take an OG, then what would be the other NEED, in your opinion?

V3

Hall of Fame
On 1 I will say this.

One guy in back that is an enforcer will change that 17 effing yard cushion the DBs were giving last year.

The Rams had an enforcer. His name is TJ McD. You don't get rid of cushions with big hitters. You get rid of them with excellent coverage guys on the back end(or by just having elite CB's). The big hitters help defend the run and perhaps some catches over the middle where the WR's fear getting hit but that's not as prevalent now in today's NFL. The FS is there to help the CB if their guy gets by them. We didn't have that so the Rams played it safe by playing off so there was less risk of that happening.

That being said, I don't think the Rams needed to play off nearly as much as the did last year(and I mean that in terms of frequency as well the distance they played off). I also think they played too much zone coverage. Jenkins is really bad at that and it showed.

I said it before and I'll say it again, I truly think a good FS would make a HUGE difference with this defense. I don't see any other position having a bigger impact if they added a new player there.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Like I said in my original post, I agree that the Rams don't "need" to draft one in the first. My question to you becomes, then what do the Rams absolutely NEED to draft in the first round? You mentioned OG(not a fan of taking a G in the first unless they are an absolute stud and it seem like too many have been getting over-hyped in recent history). We have two picks so if you'd take an OG, then what would be the other NEED, in your opinion?

I'd spend the picks on defense myself provided they sign Saffold. Add a couple of other playmakers to that side moves it up enough to cause waves in the division and makes it a harsher day for opposing offenses anyway. They have spent significant resources on O and I think they'll develop as is. Give the D one or two more guys.

That's provided the OL is stabilized and Saffold is key there. If he leaves shit becomes slippery don't you think.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I wouldn't say there's any ONE position we NEED to draft in the 1st. But there are prospects at WR, OT, CB, DE, DT, & FS I'd be willing to draft. It just depends on who's sitting at #2 or #13 when we're picking, or whoever is sitting in the mid-late first if we trade down. I agree in talent over need, but if you have 2 prospects with comparable talent I'm going to take the one that fills a bigger need. Imo there is likely to be a very good WR or OT that I'd draft at #13 over CB. BUT it all depends on how the draft goes...

Memphis Ram

Legend
I agree that the team doesn't NEED to add a 1st round or high priced FS. Just another decent player to compete.

I also agree that the team doesn't HAVE TO use a 1st round pick on a CB. But, I wouldn't pass on one if said player were the BPA.

And yes, OG is a much bigger need than OT IF they don't re-sign Saffold.

I'll add another unpopular opinion. I don't believe that the team has to spend another high draft choice on a WR. Especially not in a run first offense.

V3

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't say there's any ONE position we NEED to draft in the 1st. But there are prospects at WR, OT, CB, DE, DT, & FS I'd be willing to draft. It just depends on who's sitting at #2 or #13 when we're picking, or whoever is sitting in the mid-late first if we trade down. I agree in talent over need, but if you have 2 prospects with comparable talent I'm going to take the one that fills a bigger need. Imo there is likely to be a very good WR or OT that I'd draft at #13 over CB. BUT it all depends on how the draft goes...

Sound logic. No problems there.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'd spend the picks on defense myself provided they sign Saffold. Add a couple of other playmakers to that side moves it up enough to cause waves in the division and makes it a harsher day for opposing offenses anyway. They have spent significant resources on O and I think they'll develop as is. Give the D one or two more guys.

That's provided the OL is stabilized and Saffold is key there. If he leaves shyte becomes slippery don't you think.

It definitely makes our O-line a HUGE concern. Three holes to fill on the O-line is too many. I say three because I'm still not sure about C. Not sure I saw enough from Barnes to make a decision on him and I have no idea where Jones is in terms of strength and ability.

laramsoriginal

Starter
I disagree with the OP and others saying the rams don't need major help at FS and CB. You guys are basing your opinions on fielding a decent team. Gentleman, stop that type of thinking. The rams need to win the the NFC west which happens to be the toughest division. You cannot win a tough division by fielding a decent team.

I will post in every thread voicing my opinion regarding position needs:

A: 1 starting Guard
B: 1 Starting Free Safety
C: 1 Starting CB
D: depth at OT
E: Depth at LB
F: Depth at DT

The good news is that premier Guards can be found at the bottom of the 1st round. Almost the same can be said for a FS. Premier CB's are usually found in the top 15.

The rams need a premier CB and Guard. FS needs to be filled with a playmaker with good athletic ability.

If the rams can trade down to about the 8th or 10th spot, they would still be in position to select the top cb in the draft. If the rams trade down from 13 to 18 or 21st, they still will be in position to select the top safety in the draft.

Then the rams can use the additional picks acquired from trading down to draft two OG's in the early 2nd round to battle in camp for the starting LG position.

Using the extra picks and free agency, depth can be added to the OT, LB, DT spots.
Fellas, if the rams want to win the nfc west, they need to plug the hole at G, FS, CB with premier talent and not just the average NFL player. The rams are in position to challenge the 9ers and Seattle, time to draft/sign playmakers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
1. I think it's a position that needs and should be upgraded in this draft. Targets: HaHa, Pryor, or even Buchannon 1st round in draft, Ladler, Brooks in middle rounds.
2. I think it's a position that could and may be upgraded in this draft. Targets: Dennard, Gilbert, early if you want them, Joyner, Fuller later on.
3. I think it's a position that must be upgraded and maybe even twice. Targets: Martin, 1st round in draft if you are going to get him, Moses, early to middle of draft, I'd like both!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
First thing I have to say is I hate that phrase at the end of posts.

I remember Fisher saying last year they don't really have a SS FS design in their defense it is more left and right and they both have to play the run and pass well. I like
Pryor at safety and Dennard at CB but there are others that could fit just as well I'm sure and I trust fisher and Snead to get the best talent available to fit their picks. I have not seen anyone mention McGee at NB, he got some PT last year did not do great but was a rookie and was put into situations where I thought he got better with more PT. For sure Finnegan needs to be cut.

O line needs help and lots of it

Last edited by a moderator:

iced

1. We don't NEED to add a 1st round FS or high priced FS in FA

I don't see the need for us to draft a FS in the 1st round. I think we've found a good starter at SS in TJ McDonald. I'm not saying Rodney McLeod was great in 2013, but I also don't think his play lead to the "problems" in our secondary. I wouldn't mind adding a FS in the 2nd or 3rd rounds OR adding a solid FS in FA (like Clemens or Wright). I don't think we NEED a great FS to put this team over the top and that's why I oppose throwing money at Jarius Byrd as some Ram fans suggest or drafting Clinton-Dix in the 1st.

2. We don't need a 1st round CB to replace Jenks or Tru & we don't need to add Verner

Imo more of the issues in our secondary came from our scheme playing 10 yards off at times simply conceding 1st downs. Jenks and Johnson had their rough patches, but ultimately I think our staff is comfortable with them starting on the outside in 2014. I think they still have plenty of room for growth and I think they will be fine. I don't understand why a team so strapped for cash would give up on 2 promising corners after on 2 years by adding ANOTHER high priced corner. I agree Finn needs to be cut; I'm not a fan of restructuring because even at a reduced price I still think he's a liability at nickel. I'd be fine with us drafting a CB with inside/outside ability that can immediately start at NB. Verrett & Joyner come to mind.

3. OG is a MUCH bigger need than OT

We have 1 OG under contract for 2014 and that is the oft injured and physically declined Harvey Dahl. He is due no guaranteed money and our team could find a better FA guard with the money we save by cutting him. Williams & Smith are FAs and are backups at best. We don't know what we have with Jones, but I want competition, not just expecting him to be able to start and be good. And then there is Saffold who showed great flashes while playing guard. I'd be ok with offering him an incentive laden deal, but not too much. That still leaves LG open. Imo we need to get younger and that is by drafting a OG like Gabe Jackson in the 2nd-3rd round who can start from day 1.

OT is a need with the uncertain health of Long, but Joe is fine at RT. I think drafting a OT in the first 4 rounds would make sense, BUT imo OG is a bigger concern.

What say you?

disagree with OT/OG as a need.

I think Safety had a much bigger impact on the defense than what we actually see on sundays. Not only are the guys struggling at safety and had a lot of missed assignments/blown coverages, and i believe their scheme had to be adjusted for the lack luster safety play.

agree on #2 and #3.

Guard is the biggest weakness on the o-line

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
First thing I have to say is I hate that phrase at the end of posts.

I remember Fisher saying last year they don't really have a SS FS design in their defense it is more left and right and they both have to play the run and pass well. I like Joyner at safety and Dennard at CB but there are others that could fit just as well I'm sure and I trust fisher and Snead to get the best talent available to fit their picks. I have not seen anyone mention McGee at NB, he got some PT last year did not do great but was a rookie and was put into situations where I thought he got better with more PT. For sure Finnegan needs to be cut.

O line needs help and lots of it

I don't like Joyner at safety-- he's too small. We need someone that can compete in jumpball situations vs the taller WRs in our division.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
what seems to be lost here, regarding the Safety position, is in Fisher's scheme, the safeties are interchangeable. There is no FS/SS designation. They BOTH need to be able to give support in run defense, and be able to split the field over the top n pass coverage.

If they have plans on adding a safety, I expect it to be someone who is similar to McDonald in skillset, and compliments him rather than a pure FS type player. There were TWO major issues with the safety play this past season. With BOTH players being FIRST YEAR starters, it was asking an awful lot to expect them to be able to make the on the fly adjustments that having veteran guys back there. For all of his physical shortcomings, by having Craig Dahl on the field, they were able to be confident in making the proper calls.

The other MAJOR issue with the Rams safeties, is the consistently POOR tackling. McDonald got better as the year went on, but be it McLeod, Stewart or Giordano, between them, they were the poorest tackling group in the league.

Everyone points to the coverage issues, but for me, unless and until they get better production from the position in terms of tackling, they will continue to stunt the progress of the defense.

Also, the general lack of experience is the main reason for the "scheme" and soft zone coverage in many of the early games. It is just too much to ask a secondary to grasp many of the complex coverages, for example, combination zone/man schemes, and be able to disguise coverages and still be able to make the proper adjustments. Add to that a ROOKIE OLB who never comes off the field, who is still learning how to COVER in these zone calls, and it had a direct impact on what the staff can do. That they chose a "bend don't break" philosophy was the safest course of action.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Addressing only #3 ,IMO Saffold illustrated as did a number of other people that the transition to guard from tackle is the direction that is easier and FWIW if a college guard was good enough to play tackle he'd be there ,Robert Gallery is another example.
So IMO you draft tackles and if you wish to play them at guard fine but the transition the other way just makes little to no sense to me.