My Unpopular Rams Opinions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I agree that the team doesn't NEED to add a 1st round or high priced FS. Just another decent player to compete.

I also agree that the team doesn't HAVE TO use a 1st round pick on a CB. But, I wouldn't pass on one if said player were the BPA.

And yes, OG is a much bigger need than OT IF they don't re-sign Saffold.

I'll add another unpopular opinion. I don't believe that the team has to spend another high draft choice on a WR. Especially not in a run first offense.
This is my feeling also. BPA at a position of need. Next year, draft a WR 1st. round if needed. Not convinced one is needed this year!

jap

Legend
Addressing only #3 ,IMO Saffold illustrated as did a number of other people that the transition to guard from tackle is the direction that is easier and FWIW if a college guard was good enough to play tackle he'd be there ,Robert Gallery is another example.
So IMO you draft tackles and if you wish to play them at guard fine but the transition the other way just makes little to no sense to me.

Yes, the general progression for pro tackles is to move inward to guard as their athleticism declines. Someone who is designated as a guard initially normally already lacks the athleticism to play in space as a tackle.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
This is my feeling also. BPA at a position of need. Next year, draft a WR 1st. round if needed. Not convinced one is needed this year!

I'm not opposed to drafting someone else, but I would rather draft Watkins now than wait until next year. He's the best WR is this class and a better outside receiver than anyone drafted last year, and there's no guarantess that we'll have the opoportunity to draft the best WR next year.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
First thing I have to say is I hate that phrase at the end of posts.

I remember Fisher saying last year they don't really have a SS FS design in their defense it is more left and right and they both have to play the run and pass well.

I think Fisher said this because we had no true FS on our roster. Notice how the RB by committee approach disappeared quickly after Stacy emerged.

ausmurp

Starter
I agree completely. I'm good with drafting a third round FS and even letting McCleod remain the starter for now.

Also agree OG is a bigger issue right now. If that's the case we don't have to go OL in the first round like I'd prefer to do.

On offense, OG is definately our biggest need. But on defense, FS is also our biggest need. How can you possibly think we are okay at safety? We made Colon Kaepernick and Asshole Wilson look like two of the best pocket QBs in the league. They beat us on plays where elite safeties would've helped a lot. They both (Seahawks and 49ers) have elite safeties. We will not get passed those teams without elite safeties ourselves. Safety is by far our biggest need on defense, ball hawking FS to be exact. Eric Reid has turned out very good for the 49ers...we should make the same pick this yr imo.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
On offense, OG is definately our biggest need. But on defense, FS is also our biggest need. How can you possibly think we are okay at safety? We made Colon Kaepernick and Asshole Wilson look like two of the best pocket QBs in the league. They beat us on plays where elite safeties would've helped a lot. They both (Seahawks and 49ers) have elite safeties. We will not get passed those teams without elite safeties ourselves. Safety is by far our biggest need on defense, ball hawking FS to be exact. Eric Reid has turned out very good for the 49ers...we should make the same pick this yr imo.

Well you better jump on the "trade both picks" bandwagon because the top guys at OG and FS can be had after our second pick.

I rememenbe Kaep getting outiside the pocket and beating with sideline throws. I remember our offense sucked against Seattle so the defense had to be lights out. Defense can't do it all... most of the time. I'm not a fab of reaching for players.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Asshole Wilson.
Seriously?? after seeing this anything else you might post has lost any credibility. And BTW Jenkins misplayed the ball twice to let those plays against Seattle happen.

F. Mulder

Starter
Well you better jump on the "trade both picks" bandwagon because the top guys at OG and FS can be had after our second pick.

I rememenbe Kaep getting outiside the pocket and beating with sideline throws. I remember our offense sucked against Seattle so the defense had to be lights out. Defense can't do it all... most of the time. I'm not a fab of reaching for players.

On the defensive side of the ball you better have guys who can run and can seal the edges vs running QBs like Wilson and Krapinmypants. We have a pretty fast DL and one LBer who can run in AO. What killed the D is horrible CB play and poor Safety play. I THINK one of the two CBs gets the idea but to have another CB, FS, OLB, who can play and cover is lights out for the D. I'm all for upgrading DT but that is really low on my list as far as D goes. If they go Dennard, or Pryor, or Van Noy somewhere in there they have the speed, competition, and potential to be a shut down D. I think people who are slighting a 3 strong Lb combination don't get it. It's a big difference when your 3rd LBer goes off on 3rd and 8 vs 3rd and 4 because he did his job.

Some posters like McCleod but for me he is a pure backup no different than D Stewart who will no longer be on the team come opening game.

On Offense I expect 2 higher OL picks with WR getting knocked aside because of need. You need guys like Z Martin and several other who are borderline 1st/2nd round picks who have talent, are not superstars, but are solid and versatile. That's why I loved the B Jones pick last year.

IF they trade out of 2 and pick up 1-2 addition picks this draft they need: (in no particular order) Safety, DB, OLB, OL

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I think Fisher said this because we had no true FS on our roster. Notice how the RB by committee approach disappeared quickly after Stacy emerged.
In addition, I'd like to add to the the fact the McDonald really is the prototypical strong safety, last year really was a clear indication of Fisher doing the best with what he had.

Ideally, I think he may rather have two hybrid/well rounded safeties of which I'm not so sure McDonald really fits the mold.

Sure tackling, not necessarily big hitting, ability to support the run and the pass on both sides of the field is what I really think they want ... in one hand, you know the rest :)

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yes, the general progression for pro tackles is to move inward to guard as their athleticism declines. Someone who is designated as a guard initially normally already lacks the athleticism to play in space as a tackle.
Which is exactly why I am intrigued by the thought of re-signing Saffold to play guard, drafting a LT high and possibly moving Jake Long inside to guard......that would be a line that could take you to the Super Bowl

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
The draft board will come into focus after the FA period resigning some of our guys bring in a couple of FA's our needs change. I would like to see offense upgraded, scoring more points plays into the strength of the D. I did expect the D to be better this past season but I have more faith in that side of the ball than on O to me it just comes down to putting pressure on opponents to have to catch up we MUST have more scoring. With that in mind I think our draft capital would be better spent on OL, WR and possibly TE as I think Bradford will come back healthy, I worry about Long protecting his blind side early in the season coming off his injury.

Penguin.

Rookie
In my opinion, Barksdale was great at RT. Jake Long is the 7th best LT in the league and he will be healthy by the start of next season. We need guards, and Barrett Jones at center seems good. Shelly and Chris are good back ups, and Tim is good for depth. Draft Ej Gaines as our nickel corner. He will be the best corner in this draft.

jjab360

Legend
Seriously?? after seeing this anything else you might post has lost any credibility. And BTW Jenkins misplayed the ball twice to let those plays against Seattle happen.
Wtf? You a seahag sympathizer or sumptin? We don't take kindly to your type around here...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Wtf? You a seahag sympathizer or sumptin? We don't take kindly to your type around here...
I know you are attempting to be funny but

No but I'm also not someone who has to resort to childish things like this, and I think you'll find that is more accepted on the StL today site.

Wilson is a stand up guy

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Now Pryor I like.... a LOT.
I realized after I posted and went back and tried to fix it. LOL

I like Pryor too but I'm afraid he won't last but if we trade down he could be in play early second round

jjab360

Legend
I know you are attempting to be funny but

No but I'm also not someone who has to resort to childish things like this, and I think you'll find that is more accepted on the StL today site.

Wilson is a stand up guy
Meh, don't really care. It's fine if you want to respect him or whatever, but we have a right to insult and demean our enemy as much as possible.

And I think you've got it backwards, the Post Dispatch forum is the place to go to hate on Rams players and show love to the Seahags/Whiners, not the other way around.