My Unpopular Rams Opinions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
1. We don't NEED to add a 1st round FS or high priced FS in FA

I don't see the need for us to draft a FS in the 1st round. I think we've found a good starter at SS in TJ McDonald. I'm not saying Rodney McLeod was great in 2013, but I also don't think his play lead to the "problems" in our secondary. I wouldn't mind adding a FS in the 2nd or 3rd rounds OR adding a solid FS in FA (like Clemens or Wright). I don't think we NEED a great FS to put this team over the top and that's why I oppose throwing money at Jarius Byrd as some Ram fans suggest or drafting Clinton-Dix in the 1st.

2. We don't need a 1st round CB to replace Jenks or Tru & we don't need to add Verner

Imo more of the issues in our secondary came from our scheme playing 10 yards off at times simply conceding 1st downs. Jenks and Johnson had their rough patches, but ultimately I think our staff is comfortable with them starting on the outside in 2014. I think they still have plenty of room for growth and I think they will be fine. I don't understand why a team so strapped for cash would give up on 2 promising corners after on 2 years by adding ANOTHER high priced corner. I agree Finn needs to be cut; I'm not a fan of restructuring because even at a reduced price I still think he's a liability at nickel. I'd be fine with us drafting a CB with inside/outside ability that can immediately start at NB. Verrett & Joyner come to mind.

3. OG is a MUCH bigger need than OT

We have 1 OG under contract for 2014 and that is the oft injured and physically declined Harvey Dahl. He is due no guaranteed money and our team could find a better FA guard with the money we save by cutting him. Williams & Smith are FAs and are backups at best. We don't know what we have with Jones, but I want competition, not just expecting him to be able to start and be good. And then there is Saffold who showed great flashes while playing guard. I'd be ok with offering him an incentive laden deal, but not too much. That still leaves LG open. Imo we need to get younger and that is by drafting a OG like Gabe Jackson in the 2nd-3rd round who can start from day 1.

OT is a need with the uncertain health of Long, but Joe is fine at RT. I think drafting a OT in the first 4 rounds would make sense, BUT imo OG is a bigger concern.

What say you?

1 and 2, I don't care what we do with our DBs but we have to do something if it's a simple scheme change (maybe covering someone once in a while) then awesome, if we need new players then go out and get them, we can't continue into next year with the pass D we had this year.

3. I'd rather draft an OG who can play tackle at a push, be that Robinson or Martin than to draft a OT just to push him inside, but let's bring back Saffold too.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
2. We don't need a 1st round CB to replace Jenks or Tru & we don't need to add Verner

Imo more of the issues in our secondary came from our scheme playing 10 yards off at times simply conceding 1st downs. Jenks and Johnson had their rough patches, but ultimately I think our staff is comfortable with them starting on the outside in 2014. I think they still have plenty of room for growth and I think they will be fine. I don't understand why a team so strapped for cash would give up on 2 promising corners after on 2 years by adding ANOTHER high priced corner. I agree Finn needs to be cut; I'm not a fan of restructuring because even at a reduced price I still think he's a liability at nickel. I'd be fine with us drafting a CB with inside/outside ability that can immediately start at NB. Verrett & Joyner come to mind

A55VA6

Legend
We need an OG way more than we need a OT for sure. I'm ok with our CB's, I'm more worried about the scheme putting the guys in a bad position. And I think a Safety is a definite need. I'm hoping we go after one in FA or draft one in the higher rounds.

V3

Hall of Fame
Only agree with you on #3. The others are more gray.

I've heard numerous times that one of the big reasons our secondary played the way they did was because they were weak at safety. When a CB has deep help that they know is reliable, they can play more aggressive without worrying as much about getting burned. I think a ball hawking S is undervalued by a lot of people. Many of the recent SB winners/contenders have really good safeties. TJ is a solid start but he's best suited at stopping the run (SS) and he can only cover half of the field. The other safeties the Rams have put out there have not been good.

I won't say we HAVE to draft a S in the first but in a perfect situation, if the BPA at #13 or our other first rounder after a trade down(can't say I'd take one at #2. that seems a little high for a S even for me) was a S, I'd be all over that. It would probably have the biggest impact on the defense that they could make.

As for CB, we need a third CB. We agree on cutting Finnegan but who's going to replace him? I don't like anyone that's on the roster to take that spot as a starter. I'm fine with Johnson and Jenkins(JJ needs to work him butt off this offseason, though) but after that we have nothing. I'm not sure I'd say they have to force a first round pick on a CB but, again, it'd be nice if CB was the BPA when #13 came up. We play A LOT of nickel packages. A quality third CB is not a luxury anymore. Not in today's NFL.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

Imo more of the issues in our secondary came from our scheme playing 10 yards off at times simply conceding 1st downs. Jenks and Johnson had their rough patches, but ultimately I think our staff is comfortable with them starting on the outside in 2014. I think they still have plenty of room for growth and I think they will be fine. I don't understand why a team so strapped for cash would give up on 2 promising corners after on 2 years by adding ANOTHER high priced corner. I agree Finn needs to be cut; I'm not a fan of restructuring because even at a reduced price I still think he's a liability at nickel. I'd be fine with us drafting a CB with inside/outside ability that can immediately start at NB. Verrett & Joyner come to mind

true we are in a run first div but this is a pass happy league and we do play 10 games out of div. i think we should use the 13 pick for a corner. if he is better than tru or jenkins then we up grade 2 spots if not then we have a good nb who could move outside in case of injury

Ramifications

If we add a CB like Dennard, he might play nickel CB at first, not exactly the same as giving up on both young CBs. Even if he started, it would displace just one, not two of them. Plus Tru would still play nickel, and might get something like 50% of the reps.

Fisher and Snead are building for the future. If Robinson is an elite LT, harder to get them than guards. Likely we won't be having too many more 1.2 picks any time soon. They may not have another chance to get a player like him for a long time. And of course adding a LT wouldn't preclude adding a guard later.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I agree completely. I'm good with drafting a third round FS and even letting McCleod remain the starter for now.

Also agree OG is a bigger issue right now. If that's the case we don't have to go OL in the first round like I'd prefer to do.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I agree with 1 and 2.
#3 has a qualifier pending the Saffold situation in FA

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
1. Have to disagree with the 1st one, respectfully of course. Having a dynamic FS will help our CB's a bunch. I don't want a serviceable FS, I want a stud who can be a playmaker. I think it could easily upgraded and should be with someone at the top.

2.I would like one of the top CB's(Gilbert or Dennard combined with JJ and Tru would be sweetness), but i do agree it is not a true first round need, and if we grab Verrett or Joyner in the 2nd, i could easily live with that, especially since i really like both of them. Even grabbing Jean-Baptiste or Gaines in the 3rd is fine by me as well. Still prefer one in the 1st, but would not fret over it as long as we grabbed one before round 4.

3. Agree with this one as well. But i rather draft a Tackle who has played guard as well. Someone like Morgan Moses or another tackle in the 2nd who has both tackle and guard experience. Also draft another pure guard and Tackle later in the draft as well. This way if one of the tackles goes down, we can either move the LG over to tackle and move a good backup to replace LG. Or plug in the later round Tackle and keep the rest of the line the same. This way we dont move Saffold at all and limit the line from being moved around to much.

Last edited by a moderator:

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I don't think we have to draft a FS in the first round, but we DO need one. The best teams in our division have them and it was a weak point in our D. We need one that can cover and that is not Rodney. He played OK at times but we need a guy that has good to great cover skills. McDonald is more of a hard hitting guy. So I think we need someone to compliment him.

CB- Not to replace, but we need guys that can come in and cover the better WR's in the league. Both played up and down over the course of the year. Hopefully Jenkins plays better next year. But make no mistake, our pass defense was the weakest link over the course of the year. I think they got better but to be elite the back end has to be strong. And it was not that strong this year.
I agree in OG but that also is depending on what happens with Saffold and if Long comes back 100%. Otherwise, they both become an area of need.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
1. We don't NEED to add a 1st round FS or high priced FS in FA
Agree

If CB Dennard is there @#10 I would take him other than him. Yes Agree.

3. OG is a MUCH bigger need than OT
Agree
What say you?

See above
I would prefer the OT/OG tweeners myself more than the OC/OG types. OT who can run block are the type of prospects that would make me happy.

When reviewing what Boudreau has assembled in the last two yrs .....#1-Robert Turner was primarily a ORT in college & a back up ORT with the Jets. Bou move him from OT to OG then to OC. #2-Bou brought in OLT/ORT Chris Williams & moved him inside to OG . #3-Bou snatched OT Brandon Washington who play OLT & ORT for the Canes from the WWC & moved him inside to OG. #4-Mike Persons was a OLT and he was a WWC now a reserve Ram OG. #5-Harvey Dahl was a ORT when Bou arrived in Atlanta Bou moved him to ORG. #6-Saffold was always a OLT then ORT Bou moved him to ORG.#7-Rok Watkins was a OLT/ORT in College Bou moved him to OG. #8-Barrett Jones was a OLT/ORT/ORG/OC no telling where Barrett could end up but if I were to guess OG. Guess you can easily see Boudreau's pattern here.

From the above his a short list of OL'ers below who have played OT who would project to OG .....
Zac Martin @ 1st rd./#13
David Yankey @ 2nd rd./#44
Joel Bitonio @ 3rd rd./#75
Brandon Thomas @ 4th rd./#103

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If Saffold leaves then G is a priority. Period.

Tackle depends on how Long heals. If he isn't doing well then they may consider grabbing a guy as insurance. They have said keeping Bradford clean is priority one so that has to be .......priority one lol.

IMO Saffold plays a huge roll in this draft.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
See above
I would prefer the OT/OG tweeners myself more than the OC/OG types. OT who can run block are the type of prospects that would make me happy.

When reviewing what Boudreau has assembled in the last two yrs .....#1-Robert Turner was primarily a ORT in college & a back up ORT with the Jets. Bou move him from OT to OG then to OC. #2-Bou brought in OLT/ORT Chris Williams & moved him inside to OG . #3-Bou snatched OT Brandon Washington who play OLT & ORT for the Canes from the WWC & moved him inside to OG. #4-Mike Persons was a OLT and he was a WWC now a reserve Ram OG. #5-Harvey Dahl was a ORT when Bou arrived in Atlanta Bou moved him to ORG. #6-Saffold was always a OLT then ORT Bou moved him to ORG.#7-Rok Watkins was a OLT/ORT in College Bou moved him to OG. #8-Barrett Jones was a OLT/ORT/ORG/OC no telling where Barrett could end up but if I were to guess OG. Guess you can easily see Boudreau's pattern here.

From the above his a short list of OL'ers below who have played OT who would project to OG .....
Zac Martin @ 1st rd./#13
David Yankey @ 2nd rd./#44
Joel Bitonio @ 3rd rd./#75
Brandon Thomas @ 4th rd./#103

Yup. And grabbing one would also help keep Saffold inside at RG in case of an injury to a tackle. Getting a OT/OG hybrid is definitely the way to go for the earlier rounds. Especially with how Boudreau likes his linemen, and with how well we saw Saffold do. If Saffolds kryptonite wasn't playing tackle, i don't think we would look for a OT/OG hybrid to play LG early, and maybe just draft a pure guard later in the draft in the 5th or beyond.

Looks like we finally agree on something Bon! :wink:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
If Saffold leaves then G is a priority. Period.

Tackle depends on how Long heals. If he isn't doing well then they may consider grabbing a guy as insurance. They have said keeping Bradford clean is priority one so that has to be .......priority one lol.

IMO Saffold plays a huge roll in this draft.

Agree 100%. He is the key to what we do this offseason in regards to the O-Line. I think we grab a tackle at some point in the draft regardless, due to Longs injury history. They could even plug that player in at RG to fill Saffolds spot if they decide to kick him outside.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
3. I'd rather draft an OG who can play tackle at a push, be that Robinson or Martin than to draft a OT just to push him inside, but let's bring back Saffold too.

Versatility is always good, especially when Long returns.

If we add a CB like Dennard, he might play nickel CB at first, not exactly the same as giving up on both young CBs. Even if he started, it would displace just one, not two of them. Plus Tru would still play nickel, and might get something like 50% of the reps.

Fisher and Snead are building for the future. If Robinson is an elite LT, harder to get them than guards. Likely we won't be having too many more 1.2 picks any time soon. They may not have another chance to get a player like him for a long time. And of course adding a LT wouldn't preclude adding a guard later.

If we got Denard, imo he'd start outside opposite Tru. Jenks would bump inside as I see nickel being more of a fit for his skill set and instincts. Jenks can work on peeking in the backfield and biting on fakes, but his closing speed and ability to locate the ball are something you can't teach. I also think his lateral agility is pretty solid.

Even though I said as of today OG is a bigger need, it doesn't mean I wouldn't draft an OT first. I simply think we don't have any quality starting OGs on the roster (Dahl), but we do have 2 quality starting OTs (Long & Barksdale). Long's injury is a concern and I think we need his replacement sooner rather than later. I'd be fine with drafting Robinson or Matthews in the 1st.

1. Have to disagree with the 1st one, respectfully of course. Having a dynamic FS will help our CB's a bunch. I don't want a serviceable FS, I want a stud who can be a playmaker. I think it could easily upgraded and should be with someone at the top.

2.I would like one of the top CB's(Gilbert or Dennard combined with JJ and Tru would be sweetness), but i do agree it is not a true first round need, and if we grab Verrett or Joyner in the 2nd, i could easily live with that, especially since i really like both of them. Even grabbing Jean-Baptiste or Gaines in the 3rd is fine by me as well. Still prefer one in the 1st, but would not fret over it as long as we grabbed one before round 4.

3. Agree with this one as well. But i rather draft a Tackle who has played guard as well. Someone like Morgan Moses or another tackle in the 2nd who has both tackle and guard experience. Also draft another pure guard and Tackle later in the draft as well. This way if one of the tackles goes down, we can either move the LG over to tackle and move a good backup to replace LG. Or plug in the later round Tackle and keep the rest of the line the same. This way we dont move Saffold at all and limit the line from being moved around to much.

Regarding FS I'm not saying ignore the position. McLeod is certainly upgradable. I'm just saying its not the biggest need. I'd like to address OG, OT, & NB first. I agree that having a ballhawking, center-field type safety like Earl Thomas is a great thing to have. Not many teams have a game changing safety like him, and it definitely sets apart the elite Ds from the rest of the league.

I'm just not sold on this years FS safety class having a can't miss first round pick. Clinton-Dix has all the talent in the world, but imo the highest I'd draft him is LATE first round. I don't believe in just drafting a position because its a need. And we won't be picking late first round unless we trade back.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
#1. You must be a fan of off-coverage then. Because the weak link at safety caused us to abandon press coverage.
#2. I'm prone to agree. I think the corners will get their minds right, and you can find decent corners in FA or later in the draft.
#3. Agree. Especially considering Stacy/Cunningham's running style.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Regarding FS I'm not saying ignore the position. McLeod is certainly upgradable. I'm just saying its not the biggest need. I'd like to address OG, OT, & NB first. I agree that having a ballhawking, center-field type safety like Earl Thomas is a great thing to have. Not many teams have a game changing safety like him, and it definitely sets apart the elite Ds from the rest of the league.

I'm just not sold on this years FS safety class having a can't miss first round pick. Clinton-Dix has all the talent in the world, but imo the highest I'd draft him is LATE first round. I don't believe in just drafting a position because its a need. And we won't be picking late first round unless we trade back.

I'm not completely sold on this safety class either, i really wish there was and earl thomas like player in it. Not a big fan of Clinton-Dix and agree i wouldnt draft him till late in the 1st. Pryor is still my favorite prospect, though he does have his faults. I would still love to have him though. Even if we have to grab him in the teens. I just want the best FS possible that we can get from this draft is all. I still think FS a big need. As long as we get a new starter somewhere who is an upgrade i will be content.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
#1. You must be a fan of off-coverage then. Because the weak link at safety caused us to abandon press coverage.
#2. I'm prone to agree. I think the corners will get their minds right, and you can find decent corners in FA or later in the draft.
#3. Agree. Especially considering Stacy/Cunningham's running style.

1. I'm not a fan of the off coverage, and I do realize that the lack of a good FS caused us to play soft on the outsides. FS just isn't the biggest need in my book & I don't want to overpay for Byrd who's had his injury history, or draft a FS mid 1st bc I don't think any FS is worthy of that pick.

3. It pisses me off that we haven't had quality guards since Cogs (who's head wasn't right) and then you have to go back to Timmerman & Nutten before that. Imo the lack of power interior line play has been lacking since around 2006. One of the reasons why we couldn't convert the 3rd and 1 for many years, even with SJ. We had these "finesse" lineman like Bell, Goldberg, Turner, etc. who were decent pass protectors, but when it came to getting several yards of push on the goal-line or handling a bull-rush, their smaller bodies stood no chance. I want some guys who can straight up bully opponents at the point of attack and are mobile enough to kick out to the second level. Imo Stacy won't ALWAYS need a FB to get yards in his career; Harkey was just making up for the lack of push and unsustained blocks that guys like Williams, Barnes, Dahl, and Smith had.