My Unpopular Rams Opinions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Meh, don't really care. It's fine if you want to respect him or whatever, but we have a right to insult and demean our enemy as much as possible.

And I think you've got it backwards, the Post Dispatch forum is the place to go to hate on Rams players and show love to the Seahags/Whiners, not the other way around.
Believe me I went off on Sherman and his antics after the NFC championship game. If they act like fools they deserve the fire they bring on themselves. Wilson is not that guy and I respect him for the way he handles himself.

jap

Legend
Which is exactly why I am intrigued by the thought of re-signing Saffold to play guard, drafting a LT high and possibly moving Jake Long inside to guard......that would be a line that could take you to the Super Bowl

Hell, yeah! With Jake and Joe on board, we can be patient with Greg Robinson if they go in his direction. Start Greg out at LG, with Jake at LT. Once Coach Bou gets Greg's feet technique straitened out, he can swap places with Jake. Put Beetlejuice at RG, Joe at RT, and Barnes/Jones at C. Sam would have eons for his receivers to get open. :bigup:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Hell, yeah! With Jake and Joe on board, we can be patient with Greg Robinson if they go in his direction. Start Greg out at LG, with Jake at LT. Once Coach Bou gets Greg's feet technique straitened out, he can swap places with Jake. Put Beetlejuice at RG, Joe at RT, and Barnes/Jones at C. Sam would have eons for his receivers to get open. :bigup:
And we'd have the best guards in the league opening gaping holes for Stacy.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I agree that the team doesn't NEED to add a 1st round or high priced FS. Just another decent player to compete.

I also agree that the team doesn't HAVE TO use a 1st round pick on a CB. But, I wouldn't pass on one if said player were the BPA.

And yes, OG is a much bigger need than OT IF they don't re-sign Saffold.

I'll add another unpopular opinion. I don't believe that the team has to spend another high draft choice on a WR. Especially not in a run first offense.
I would submit that the reasons the Rams went to a run first offense was because the young receivers weren't handling the spread aspect of the offense in the first 4 games. Not to mention pass pro issues and the failure of the run game. But Barksdale improved. Bradford got better in the redzone, then he went down. Without him, the Rams became one-dimensional, which I don't believe they would have with Bradford still playing.

The Rams will use Bradford a lot more than they used Clemens. They'll be looking to have a balanced offense, not so much run first. Which doesn't mean they won't be giving Stacy the ball a lot.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
1. We don't NEED to add a 1st round FS or high priced FS in FA

I don't see the need for us to draft a FS in the 1st round. I think we've found a good starter at SS in TJ McDonald. I'm not saying Rodney McLeod was great in 2013, but I also don't think his play lead to the "problems" in our secondary. I wouldn't mind adding a FS in the 2nd or 3rd rounds OR adding a solid FS in FA (like Clemens or Wright). I don't think we NEED a great FS to put this team over the top and that's why I oppose throwing money at Jarius Byrd as some Ram fans suggest or drafting Clinton-Dix in the 1st.

2. We don't need a 1st round CB to replace Jenks or Tru & we don't need to add Verner

Imo more of the issues in our secondary came from our scheme playing 10 yards off at times simply conceding 1st downs. Jenks and Johnson had their rough patches, but ultimately I think our staff is comfortable with them starting on the outside in 2014. I think they still have plenty of room for growth and I think they will be fine. I don't understand why a team so strapped for cash would give up on 2 promising corners after on 2 years by adding ANOTHER high priced corner. I agree Finn needs to be cut; I'm not a fan of restructuring because even at a reduced price I still think he's a liability at nickel. I'd be fine with us drafting a CB with inside/outside ability that can immediately start at NB. Verrett & Joyner come to mind.

3. OG is a MUCH bigger need than OT

We have 1 OG under contract for 2014 and that is the oft injured and physically declined Harvey Dahl. He is due no guaranteed money and our team could find a better FA guard with the money we save by cutting him. Williams & Smith are FAs and are backups at best. We don't know what we have with Jones, but I want competition, not just expecting him to be able to start and be good. And then there is Saffold who showed great flashes while playing guard. I'd be ok with offering him an incentive laden deal, but not too much. That still leaves LG open. Imo we need to get younger and that is by drafting a OG like Gabe Jackson in the 2nd-3rd round who can start from day 1.

OT is a need with the uncertain health of Long, but Joe is fine at RT. I think drafting a OT in the first 4 rounds would make sense, BUT imo OG is a bigger concern.

What say you?

These are unpopular? I agree 100% with you. Especially on adding a "splash" FA safety or Alterraun Verner.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

As you know, I am on board with most of it with a little different twist....When OLG Gerald Robinson gets the pass pro up to par then he will take up the OLT post for Jake Long however Jake Long will now be needed on the flip side to take up the vacancy @ ORT when Joe Barksdale departs for UFA in 2015. Even though Jake Long has never played ORT the 6-7 320 pound body would be a much better fit & more comfortable where he will not see all those elite speed pass rushers as much as he did @ OLT.

I am in the camp that Saffold will NOT be back. Thus the Rams are minus any OG's which would be a major need.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
In response to the original hypotheses:

1. Disagree.

We need an elite safety. Our abysmal soft coverage schemes are a direct result of our poor safety play. Byrd is the only free agent I'd entertain, so that's a no-go on account of expense. In that case, I'd draft Ha-Ha from 13 down. He's clearly the best safety in this draft and I don't understand why so many people are knocking him. They're probably the same ones who slagged off Vaccaro last year....

2. Disagree.

We need a cornerback who is capable of starting. The 4-2-5 has almost become our base defence. Give me Dennard at 13 and I'll be a happy camper.

3. Agree.

Unless Saffold returns, we have nothing at guard. Zilch. Nada. Rien. It's imperative that we draft a guard in the first two rounds and then maybe another later, depending on the situation with Saffold.

Barksdale and Long are more than adequate as starting tackles.

laramsoriginal

Starter
In response to the original hypotheses:

1. Disagree.

We need an elite safety. Our abysmal soft coverage schemes are a direct result of our poor safety play. Byrd is the only free agent I'd entertain, so that's a no-go on account of expense. In that case, I'd draft Ha-Ha from 13 down. He's clearly the best safety in this draft and I don't understand why so many people are knocking him. They're probably the same ones who slagged off Vaccaro last year....

2. Disagree.

We need a cornerback who is capable of starting. The 4-2-5 has almost become our base defence. Give me Dennard at 13 and I'll be a happy camper.

3. Agree.

Unless Saffold returns, we have nothing at guard. Zilch. Nada. Rien. It's imperative that we draft a guard in the first two rounds and then maybe another later, depending on the situation with Saffold.

Barksdale and Long are more than adequate as starting tackles.

I posted something very similar. The secondary is clearly the rams weaknesses so adding the top cb and fs in the draft would help the unit become very good. Rams would have to trade down to about 8th or 10th then trade down from 13th to about 18th or so....top cb and top fs would be available with picks 8 and 18th plus the rams would add 2 more second round picks where they draft OG, OG, OT

jap

Legend
As you know, I am on board with most of it with a little different twist....When OLG Gerald Robinson gets the pass pro up to par then he will take up the OLT post for Jake Long however Jake Long will now be needed on the flip side to take up the vacancy @ ORT when Joe Barksdale departs for UFA in 2015. Even though Jake Long has never played ORT the 6-7 320 pound body would be a much better fit & more comfortable where he will not see all those elite speed pass rushers as much as he did @ OLT.

It would be great to have two studs at tackle. However, we need to have effective guards so Sam actually has a pocket to throw from.

I am in the camp that Saffold will NOT be back. Thus the Rams are minus any OG's which would be a major need.

I want to believe the Horns will make re-signing Beetlejuice their #1 FA resign effort. It may not happen, but I wanna believe they will make it a real go.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Best case scenario for me, is that we draft a tackle that can play Guard, and we probably need to get another pure road grating Guard somewhere in the draft. From the sounds of it, and I hope that I am wrong, Saffold isn't coming back. If we could re-sign him, I'd might have another strategy. It's just hard to play the mock game until a couple weeks into the free agency period. Even if Saffold comes back, I think I'd draft two OL prospects, and one of them would be pretty high.

I'm not so sure hat we need a Safety, if we play the same system, but if Finn can't be effective, or is cut, we need another quality corner, IMO.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Use two 2nd round picks on OG and let them battle for the LG spot. After cutting some guys, the rams will be able to offer saffold a nice pay raise.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Use two 2nd round picks on OG and let them battle for the LG spot. After cutting some guys, the rams will be able to offer saffold a nice pay raise.

So we use two 2nd round picks on guards, and sign Saffold. So now we have a 2nd round guard riding the bench? That doesn't make sense, it would be a massive waste.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Makes a lot of sense.

Having a quality OG that can play both LG/RG as depth ensures the rams success. OL get hurt, saffold has been know to get hurt. Besides, would you rather the rams sign a FA and have to pay him more money than a 2nd round pick for depth???

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Makes a lot of sense.

Having a quality OG that can play both LG/RG as depth ensures the rams success. OL get hurt, saffold has been know to get hurt. Besides, would you rather the rams sign a FA and have to pay him more money than a 2nd round pick for depth???

Or..you know, we could draft another guard later in the draft.....I expect a 2nd rounder to be a starter, not ride the bench in case of an injury. Seems like a huge waste of a pick to me.

A Fisher lead team has never drafted a Guard before the 5th round....ever. But now you want him to draft two in the 2nd round? Not gonna happen. Getting one guard in the 2nd is hard enough to hope for.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Or..you know, we could draft another guard later in the draft.....I expect a 2nd rounder to be a starter, not ride the bench in case of an injury. Seems like a huge waste of a pick to me.

A Fisher lead team has never drafted a Guard before the 5th round....ever. But now you want him to draft two in the 2nd round? Not gonna happen. Getting one guard in the 2nd is hard enough to hope for.

Well if the rams dont draft a OG in the first or 2nd round expect mediocrity from the offense. The 49ers drafted 2 OL in the first round a few years back and there line is very good nowadays.

rams have to improve the quality of OL on the roster. The idea of bringing in washed up OL has not worked.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well if the rams dont draft a OG in the first or 2nd round expect mediocrity from the offense. The 49ers drafted 2 OL in the first round a few years back and there line is very good nowadays.

rams have to improve the quality of OL on the roster. The idea of bringing in washed up OL has not worked.

Agreed. I'd like to come away this draft with an OT w/LT potential (and maybe ability to play OG) & a starting OG (2nd or 3rd round). You mention SF, Seattle added Okung & Carpenter in the same year too. No way we make progress with Dahl or Williams back at starter. Saffold is as good as gone, which is ok with me. Danny 2.0, great when HEALTHY. But HEALTHY is the key.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

I agree, I think grabbing a top guard or even a tackle like Richardson and plugging him in at guard would be awesome. Martin would be my first choice since he has played both and is a stud. I just don't see it happening though. Richardson or another 2nd round tackle is highest possible choice right now i think. Since he could start at tackle or guard right away and be moved accordingly when needed.

I think they grab a tackle in the 2nd or 3rd who can play tackle, but will be moved to guard, and with Fishers history of drafting guards, i see this as the only way we grab a "guard" early. Sort of like cheating the system of his draft history lol.

I also think Fisher is sold on Long and Barks as the starters, and won't use draft picks early just to replace Long while he is injured, or to replace Barks out right.

Who knows though, maybe come draft day he will draft Matthews then move u from #13 and draft Robinson and plug them in at LG and LT till Long returns if he isnt ready, then once returned slide the one out to RG.

laramsoriginal

Starter
As a rams fan, I woukd love to see the talent in the secondary upgraded through the draft. OL needs a lot of help, fortunately the rams have the draft capital to fill the void at LG and possib. RG. I want saffold back if he agrees to a contract that has incentives attached. Pay for play type of deal.

By the way, I am not sold on Greg Robinson from AU. I think he might be a bust or a guy that takes several seasons to develop

laramsoriginal

Starter
I think the rams focus on the secondary come draft day. New DC Williams will fight for the rams improving the talent back there.