Mo Alexander Released

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
He'll likely get picked up in Cleveland due to familiarity with Williams's scheme; Mo did and excellent job his last weeks of the 2016 season here
GWill never asked Mo to do much. 20 yds from the line of scrimmage and you at the safety valve to stop a big play. Likely why he and the previous SS from USC had high run stop ratings.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I look for the Rams to pick up 2 legit ILBers this off season then move Ogletree and Barron to OLB. I believe Quinn is gone after this season, his play does not equal his pay. Also Barwin will be getting a little long in the tooth.

TexasRam

Legend
Mo was killing this defense.

Go back and watch the Washington game and see how completely juked he gets on the big TD run.

Or the Dallas game where the TE is left wide open for a TD at the end of the game.

If you watch the film closely Alexander is always lost and giving up huge plays. When do you Remember him making a pass breakup or huge tackle?

If Wade is a great Coordinator he will easily and quickly identify this. Mo was a project not a seasoned safety. Johnson is a natural cover guy that is so desperately needed as we saw on Sunday.

My guess is Mo couldn’t take the demotion with humility, as reported. You can’t have a cancer on the team talking smack.

So, bye Felecia.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Barron can't be an OLB in a 3-4 as they have to be able to straight rush the passer a lot of downs. He's too small for that role. Quinn can do it, but I'm not sure Ogletree is big enough, honestly.

Of all the things this D needs, LB tops the list.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
They just traded away a guy that's a 87 rating in Madden, wtf am I supposed to do now snead?

Seriously though, Johnson and Davis
played well

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I just don't see Thomas's role on this team? Deep threat? Over Watkins, nah. Taking snaps from Woods? Well, they brought him in, so I don't see that. Pharoah doesn't get many looks on the field, but seems to handle them well when he does.

So is he strictly special teams? If that's the case, I'd think Alexander would have offered a bit more there as a Gunner/tackler/occasional depth.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Dropped to make room for Thomas, per team sources
Well, well...I guess someone else sees a baby Ike Bruce in Thomas....
What's your thought on this ?
It was necessary....Mo wasn't helping in games...in fact, he was part of the problem with the long runs...

Puzzling because I don't see the need, from a numbers perspective.

His shoulder was heavily taped so he might well have been playing injured. He has been playing poorly and is also quite raw, but we knew that when we drafted him and that he would be a developmental project. He's still young. It's also good to have depth. Injuries happen all the time. Not sure I see the point. Maybe they didn't like his attitude or something. I'd have kept him longer yet.
Ole school just wrote about a podcast where Myles and Demarco say Mo was complaining about his role...
We have several backup safeties....Christian....and what's Boni's guy name?? #24....Countess...plus the guy Isiah Johnson on the PS.
If Mark Barron has a role on this team why couldn't they find a place for Mo?
Why do they feel he doesn't deserve time to gel but guys like Quinn can....
Man...Mark Barron was BALLIN yesterday....coverage....tackling...he's clearly one of our top defenders...Again...I'd move him to SS...move Johnson to FS....set...let Littleton start next to Tree...I thought they came out like that...

Watch that Washington and Dallas game...Mo was one of the worst players on the field for our defense...

Mo was killing this defense.

Go back and watch the Washington game and see how completely juked he gets on the big TD run.

Or the Dallas game where the TE is left wide open for a TD at the end of the game.

If you watch the film closely Alexander is always lost and giving up huge plays. When do you Remember him making a pass breakup or huge tackle?
I remember when Mo had a concussion last season...guys that get concussed...sometimes they change their playing style. He's an arm tackler...sorta like Ogletree...but with less impact.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...aive-former-starting-safety-maurice-alexander

Rams waive Maurice Alexander as Mike Thomas returns from ban
Alden Gonzalez ESPN Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES -- Maurice Alexander, who began the season as the Rams' starter at strong safety, was waived by the team on Monday, one day after he was a healthy inactive for an eventual 16-10 loss to the Seattle Seahawks.

The move created an opening on the 53-man roster for wide receiver Mike Thomas, who was suspended the first four games for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances. Thomas, the Rams' seventh receiver on the active roster, spent last week on the exempt list.

Alexander, in the final year of his rookie contract, struggled in the first four games and began this week graded 73rd among 83 qualified NFL safeties by Pro Football Focus.

in an Instagram post Monday, writing: "Appreciate the love RAMS family! Been a great couple years! All love and respect. Continue to be great fellas!! On the road to glory."

Rookie John Johnson started in Alexander's place on Sunday -- although he lined up mainly as the free safety -- and registered an interception that he returned for 69 yards. Johnson also made the game-ending tackle against Ezekiel Elliott in the Week 4 victory against the Dallas Cowboys.

Parting ways with Alexander appears to have been strictly based on performance. Johnson has earned an opportunity to start, and the Rams like other safeties like Cody Davis, Blake Countess, Marqui Christian and Isaiah Johnson more so in other roles, including special teams.

Lamarcus Joyner is expected to return for Sunday's game against the Jacksonville Jaguars, and the Rams would start either Johnson or Davis alongside of him. Joyner has been playing free safety, but the Rams also feel comfortable with him playing close to the line of scrimmage as more of a strong safety, which would open it up for Johnson to start.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yea, I have to believe that there is more to this. I initially thought he was inactive due to a lack of effort in the Dallas game. These coaches are not going to put up with this crap like Fisher would. Watkins better check himself this week.
I think Watkins was targeted twice and they weren't exactly the easiest passes to catch in the world.

I think Quinn and Tavon better check themselves this week.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No has not been good this year. Johnson looked very good. Good move imo. It tells the team to perform or you are out.

( I wonder if they let Tavon field anymore punts.)

Littleton could play Inside linebacker with Barron moving to SS if needed on running downs. He was in at the start of the game.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Does it come down to the special teams play between Thomas and Alexander?

James Otto

Starter
This was simple for me. Mo' Alexander wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. In GW's defense, he was asked to attack a point, and he did well at that. The FS role in Wade's defense is very cerebral, and wow, did John Johnson impress in that role. That interception was a thing of beauty, the type of play that seasoned veterans make, not a rookie in his first start.

Bottom line - Wade was asking Mo' to think too much and he didn't like it. I get it, I don't like to think alot either LOL

Johnson is a massive upgrade and is the ballhawk that we finally need in the middle for so many years. That Cody Davis fella doesn't look too bad either! Can't wait until LJ gets back!

Oh, and one other thing - when Johnson made that INT, I thought, wow, he's slow. He's not actually slow, just a very long strider. The Seahags RB/WR that was chasing him down wasn't making up much ground and he's supposed to be a burner.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I was obviously surprised by this as a lot of people were. I can't help but think that there had to be some sort of negative interaction with Mo that has led to him being released. I'm sorry but Christian, Countess or Davis..none of them are better safeties than Mo.... he proved that last season... he's proved it since he's been on the team... last year he was ranked as the most improved safety in the NFL...

it's true he hasn't played well this season in this scheme... that is true..we've all seen it...

and from the beginning I have really liked what Johnson has brought to the table... I honestly thought he was a better FS than SS..

and I'd be a lot more for this move if it was to make room for Barron to move back to SS.....

but either way... Mo Alexander was a decent ballplayer for us..but I trust the coaches on all this...

Here's also to hoping that Thomas can become a good punt returner...

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
If Mark Barron has a role on this team why couldn't they find a place for Mo?
Why do they feel he doesn't deserve time to gel but guys like Quinn can....
Brutal
I feel it has something to do with football smarts. They did the same with GRob. Not coachable not gona stay here. Let's face it. Mo looked cluleless more than once this season and they gave him more than enough chances to get it. Of course there is always a failed drug test. Just saying.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Wow, Joyner at SS and Johnson at FS... that's an interesting combo. Joyner can absolutely play the enforcer role.