Mo Alexander Released

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I like the fact that they guy replacing him, John Johnson, has basically the same name as a former Rams great at S, Johnnie Johnson. Here's to history repeating itself!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow, Joyner at SS and Johnson at FS... that's an interesting combo. Joyner can absolutely play the enforcer role.
Other way around. Davis was playing FS role on Sunday and Joyner would step in to it except in dime packages he goes into the slot.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Probably a football smarts thing.

One thing is for sure. Mo wasn’t looking good in Wade’s D.

Another thing has now become very obvious.

This staff will replace players that they don’t feel will either produce or will fit their system on either O or D.

Britt
Quick
Barnes
Kendricks
GRob
Cunningham

And now Alexander.

Incidentally, 6 of those 7 were starters for Fisher last year.

And TBH, if I were Quinn, Ogletree, or Tavon, I would be looking over my shoulder this next offseason. I’m serious.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Barron can't be an OLB in a 3-4 as they have to be able to straight rush the passer a lot of downs. He's too small for that role. Quinn can do it, but I'm not sure Ogletree is big enough, honestly.

Of all the things this D needs, LB tops the list.

Yeah I have to think that IF they felt AO can play OLB, i.e. rush the passer on the edge, they would have his @$$ doing it by now given how bad Quinn has played. But like Quinn AO is probably too light in the pants. That said, I do have to admit AO can rush the damn passer, dude has some rangy, cat-like qualities that I would have to think would be very dangerous on passing downs from the edge.

Again, though, Wade knows what he's doing. If he hasn't put AO out there, then there's probably a reason for it. So yeah, AO needs to continue the improvement he and Barron have been showing inside, and if he does that all things will take care of themselves where he's concerned.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And TBH, if I were Quinn, Ogletree, or Tavon, I would be looking over my shoulder this next offseason. I’m serious.

Quinn and Tavon are as good as gone. No need to look over their shoulders they know the score.

Ogletree I agree, but for him it's an easy deal as if he doesn't improve through the rest of the season he will simply hit FA and get overpaid by another team to play OLB in a 4-3 which is his strength. The dude's a natural chase LB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey, I'm all for whatever works. Gonzalez suggested the Joyner/Johnson combo as SS/FS.

In Wade's scheme, it's more like the old Spagnuolo scheme where you don't have a true FS and SS. The safeties have a lot of overlapping responsibilities.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Kid got rubbed on second pick, WR shoulder made contact on ball while both were in the air. Johnson is an ex CB so both S's can cover. Should give us more flexibility moving fwd. Its very early but the kid looks like he can read plays and puts himself in a position to make plays!!!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Fisher guy, scheme change, under-performing, contract year. I think everyone hit the nail(s) on the head in terms of the reason(s) for the release.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Never liked Alexander since that spinning confused missed tackle he did last year. Then he's out of place on that big TD run by the Redskin backup RB this year. Hand it to McVay though, when he says that they need to go back and look at and analyze tape they really do that thoroughly. McVay wants smart players. And re: Quinn, offenses may be adjusted to his rushing antics. QB just steps around his flailing out of control lunges, OTs just push him out or fall on him. Since the 3/4 is obviously LB powered the Rams need to employ 4 good ones and 2 good backups. Speaking of backups, is the newly longbearded Hager ready to push for a starting spot? Or does he not have a future on this team?

And yeah I was telling a friend that John Johnson reminded me of similarly named 1980 Ram rookie safety Johnnie Johnson on that pick, except Johnnie would've take it to the house for 99 yards!

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/10/9/16451452/los-angeles-rams-seattle-seahawks-recap-sean-mcvay-transcript-tavon-austin-sammy-watkins

(On if he can envision S Lamarcus Joyner and S John Johnson III being in some packages together)

“I think there could definitely be some packages. As we get the game plan together and looking forward to the week as our defensive staff gets more familiar with Jacksonville’s offense, I think you’ll see a variety of packages that we put together, game-plan specific to get our guys on the field. But, I think when you look at what John did yesterday, definitely a lot of encouraging things and you see why he’s projected to be a really good player for us.”

(On if Johnson III can only play free safety)

“The way that our coaches do it is they train those guys to play both free (safety) and underneath and we’ve got some different calls and things like that, that dictate whatever it is, whether it’s a two-safety or single-safety defense – who is an underneath defender, who is a middle safety and John did a nice job specifically as a post player yesterday. But, you look at the interception he made, he’s an underneath flat player. So, I think with those safeties, they’re interchangeable in terms of being able to play deep and then underneath in some of those run support structures.”

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Speaking of backups, is the newly longbearded Hager ready to push for a starting spot?
Cory Littleton has been getting snaps in place of Barron, so either Hager is the primary backup for Ogletree or he's behind Littleton on the depth chart.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Hope this is a sign of more moves to come, too. Mo isn't the only holdover who's a non-fit and overall not a part of this roster's future.

I think that is exactly what's going on. Smart is already seeing a lot of playing time and now it looks like Johnson has won a starting job. Guys like Barwin, Webster, and NRC were also brought in for this defense. Ebukem missed most of camp so he's still fighting to get on the field, but he was also drafted to play in this defense and I expect him to be part of this roster's future.

I don't see Quinn returning next year and OTree is not quite playing like a lock to be re-signed. Who knows what's gonna happen w/ TJohnson after this season, but from where I've been watching, the only inherited starters that look like they are no-brainers to keep are Brockers, Donald, and Joyner.

I still don't get the love affair w/ Thomas at WR, especially after we drafted Reynolds, but we'll see how it works from here. The abundance of touches given to Austin befuddled me last Sunday because I don't think he's that hard to replace. I think the Rams could lose both of these guys next year quite easily.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I never understood the love Mo got over TJ Mac. To me, Mo looked like just another guy. Wish we still had TJ, even with the suspension.

I liked macdonald too, but he couldn't stay on the field. I can't recall if he ever played a full 16 game season. He broke his leg as a rookie and then suffered some other issues causing him to miss games.
Then he's looking at an 8 game suspension to start the season when we're installing a new defense? Not sure what kind of contract you could offer the guy at that point.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Other way around. Davis was playing FS role on Sunday and Joyner would step in to it except in dime packages he goes into the slot.

That's the way it's been and it makes sense. Joyner is very good covering the slot and playing in close, but having him at FS in possible run situations over CDavis? No brainer. I know Cody had a good game Sunday (probably his best ever), but he has looked terrible in run support--out of position, bad angles, missed tackles, you name it.