Missouri DE Michael Sam Says He's Gay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ram29jackson

Rookie
3.8% of America is homosexual (according to Wikipedia), there's around 1700 players on active rosters each season, which means around 66 players, chances are at least one of those 66 are known to be homosexuals, how come we don't know about that guy?

that's not what it means at all. 3.8% out of 313.9 million is a drop in the bucket in general population. so you then have to consider they all gravitate to certain cities and certain jobs. Theres no way in heck theres 66 gays in the NFL . I doubt theres 1 per every 2 teams at best.
I guarantee that's a safer bet than the Super Bowl was.

by the way, that 3.8 is the total male female and cant make up their minds gender whatevers...gay males are 2.4 of that so it decreases quite a bit

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I wouldn't want him in horns. With him pulling this stunt and going public he becomes a distraction on multiple fronts. Maybe the story will die but at the same time I don't want our players to have this on the back of their minds. He shoulda stayed in the closet. If he's so OK with who he is then why does he need to go to the cameras? I mean... it's not like it matters, right? Yeah sure...

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I think the real question is, who here would want the Rams to draft him? I am not talking about it in his sexual preference kind of way, but more of a Tebow kind. The media will be all over this for a while.

So would you mind us drafting him, not because of his sexuality, but because of the media train it would bring.

Me personally, I wouldn't care. But I could see how others would differ. Could be a distraction.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
He is not good enough to make up for all the BS that will follow him. I do not want him in horns

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Will the team that drafts him make special locker room/shower arrangements? I mean isn't it like letting straight guys shower with the cheerleaders? You're in there with the sex that you are attracted to and you are going to look. I know my perverted ass is locking in on a few targets.;) Yeah, yeah, I know, I was in the military and was in the shower with 50 guys and surely there was a gay fella in there somewhere but it is different when he announces it. All that has to happen now is for Sam to be daydreaming in the shower and his gaze be mistaken for zooming somebody's junk and it's on. I think the kid "screwed the pooch" by jumping up on center stage. If he wanted to tell coaching staffs and scouts about his sexual preferences or even announce it to his teammates in camp after being drafted, that's one thing but to put it out there like he's wearing some kind of "homosexual crown" for the world's approval probably isn't going to play out like he thought. Personally, I don't see what purpose it serves to announce such things. It's like going to a job interview and saying, "hello, my name is Bo and I'm heterosexual, glad to meet you." Of course, Sam gained instant notoriety and maybe that is all this is really about. Maybe he has plans on being like Wilt Chamberlain.:ROFLMAO:

bluecoconuts

Legend
There are plenty of places with co-ed showers and bathrooms, I don't see why showers would matter. I showered with the gay guy in my squad all the time, it's not like he was sitting in the corner jerking off or walking around aroused, he was gay not a pervert. It's not like guys in college were flipping out, and a few of them seemed to know.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
He is not good enough to make up for all the BS that will follow him. I do not want him in horns
IMO by the time fall rolls around maybe sooner there will be four or five other gay players who will feel the need to back him by making their orientation public ,I think the expectation of any inordinate "BS" as you put it is overblown. I don't think we need a player of his ability for either of the positions he could be projected to play, but if his value was right at the right time in the draft,I wouldn't let this shyte bother me/ effect my decision.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Again,,,

If he goes to the whiners this issue is moot.
Just because they're in San Francisco doesn't mean everyone will be on board.

The real media firestorm is going to be when he or a future openly gay player get a sexual harassment complaint filed against them from a teammate. That's why I said earlier that Sam would have to agree to a "don't even think about relationships with a teammate." clause... which is fair if players aren't supposed to date cheerleaders.

And where are these places with co-ed showers, outside of Starship Troopers?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Will the team that drafts him make special locker room/shower arrangements? I mean isn't it like letting straight guys shower with the cheerleaders? You're in there with the sex that you are attracted to and you are going to look. I know my perverted ass is locking in on a few targets.;) Yeah, yeah, I know, I was in the military and was in the shower with 50 guys and surely there was a gay fella in there somewhere but it is different when he announces it. All that has to happen now is for Sam to be daydreaming in the shower and his gaze be mistaken for zooming somebody's junk and it's on. I think the kid "screwed the pooch" by jumping up on center stage. If he wanted to tell coaching staffs and scouts about his sexual preferences or even announce it to his teammates in camp after being drafted, that's one thing but to put it out there like he's wearing some kind of "homosexual crown" for the world's approval probably isn't going to play out like he thought. Personally, I don't see what purpose it serves to announce such things. It's like going to a job interview and saying, "hello, my name is Bo and I'm heterosexual, glad to meet you." Of course, Sam gained instant notoriety and maybe that is all this is really about. Maybe he has plans on being like Wilt Chamberlain.:ROFLMAO:

You might be misunderstanding this a bit. I don't know if you saw the teammates of his that ESPN interviewed. A couple of them said he was able to play better and concentrate more because he didn't feel like he was hiding.

I don't know if you have ever had a discussion with a gay person about when they came put, especially to family. Or talked to them about the crazy shit they did to hide the fact that they were gay. A close friend of mine is a mostly gay female. She has had two relationships with men in her life, starting as a teenager and now she is 50 and dating a woman. The shit she did to hide it early on is silly, harsh, crazy and a host of other things. The relief when she didn't have to do that stuff anymore was huge for her. I've had similar discussions with gay people. When someone comes out often it's just because they are sick of being fake, or not themselves, and it hurts them. They want to be themselves with the people they love and when they can't be it's painful according to the few gay people I've talked to.

The thing that it's the most amazing to me is he trusted dozens of guys with his secret and not one let him down and betrayed him. You know that they have guys on that roster that are homophobic yet even those guys managed to fall in line. I don't know much about college football, or even how good the team is, but they have some guys who have character and wisdom at young ages.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Who cares if the dudes gay.

Maybe his gay declaration is just a trick to take a shower with the cheerleaders instead of the guys. If so, the man is brilliant lol

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
How do I quote now with this new format? Anyways, Les said previously:

"You might be misunderstanding this a bit. I don't know if you saw the teammates of his that ESPN interviewed. A couple of them said he was able to play better and concentrate more because he didn't feel like he was hiding.

I don't know if you have ever had a discussion with a gay person about when they came put, especially to family. Or talked to them about the crazy shit they did to hide the fact that they were gay. A close friend of mine is a mostly gay female. She has had two relationships with men in her life, starting as a teenager and now she is 50 and dating a woman. The shit she did to hide it early on is silly, harsh, crazy and a host of other things. The relief when she didn't have to do that stuff anymore was huge for her. I've had similar discussions with gay people. When someone comes out often it's just because they are sick of being fake, or not themselves, and it hurts them. They want to be themselves with the people they love and when they can't be it's painful according to the few gay people I've talked to.

The thing that it's the most amazing to me is he trusted dozens of guys with his secret and not one let him down and betrayed him. You know that they have guys on that roster that are homophobic yet even those guys managed to fall in line. I don't know much about college football, or even how good the team is, but they have some guys who have character and wisdom at young ages."

I understand and can empathize with the gay person's situation in certain environments. (I mean you can't exactly come out of the closet in the Muslim world or Russia for that matter) I have gay friends, gay relatives, and gay co-workers and have spoken openly with them. What is puzzling to me is one's need to announce it to the world. I'm sure it's liberating to tell your friends and teammates and why wouldn't you if it makes you feel better about yourself. But why call a news conference? Most people don't care. But like I said earlier, he did gain instant notoriety, maybe mission accomplished. Some people just have that "look at me me me" need to fulfill I guess.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Just because they're in San Francisco doesn't mean everyone will be on board.

The real media firestorm is going to be when he or a future openly gay player get a sexual harassment complaint filed against them from a teammate. That's why I said earlier that Sam would have to agree to a "don't even think about relationships with a teammate." clause... which is fair if players aren't supposed to date cheerleaders.

And where are these places with co-ed showers, outside of Starship Troopers?

Do I know you ?

Ram_of_Old

It shouldn't change anything. His draft position should be the same.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Do I know you ?
Maybe. Your name sounds familiar to me too. I was on RRF years ago. That might be it.

It shouldn't change anything. His draft position should be the same.
Realistically, it will. He's just guaranteed that he's going to get a LOT of press attention. Press attention means distraction. So, coming into this draft as a mid-to-late-round pick. This means he wasn't considered a stand-out, but equivalent to other guys. Thus, when teams are making their decisions, they're going to want the non-distraction guy over the distraction guy.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me for him to go undrafted and for us to see a lot of articles bewailing the "homophobic culture of the NFL" that said non-drafting "proved". No one signed NBA player Jason Collins after he came out either.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Maybe. Your name sounds familiar to me too. I was on RRF years ago. That might be it.

Realistically, it will. He's just guaranteed that he's going to get a LOT of press attention. Press attention means distraction. So, coming into this draft as a mid-to-late-round pick. This means he wasn't considered a stand-out, but equivalent to other guys. Thus, when teams are making their decisions, they're going to want the non-distraction guy over the distraction guy.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me for him to go undrafted and for us to see a lot of articles bewailing the "homophobic culture of the NFL" that said non-drafting "proved". No one signed NBA player Jason Collins after he came out either.

Lets be fair, Collins was a journey men NBA player. He was at the end of his career in the NBA. Lets not act like the nba folks put a black flag on him