Missouri DE Michael Sam Says He's Gay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
What if nobody declared anything?

Why did he feel the need to make this big declaration that he was gay anyways?

Maybe so that any team that drafted him knew what they were getting into.

Also doubt it was easy doing that and becoming the first openly gay player. No one declares themselves as openly straight because there isn't a need to. If he gets caught in a year or two with another man, probably would make bigger waves then just announcing it now.

It's not a big deal, but a big deal is made because it has never happened before.

If I was him, I probably wouldn't of announced it, but wouldn't hide it away either.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good. Glad he feels comfortable being himself.

PhxRam

Also doubt it was easy doing that and becoming the first openly gay player. No one declares themselves as openly straight because there isn't a need to. If he gets caught in a year or two with another man, probably would make bigger waves then just announcing it now.

It's not a big deal, but a big deal is made because it has never happened before.

If I was him, I probably wouldn't of announced it, but wouldn't hide it away either.

Why didnt he extend the same courtesy to the college that he attended?

The timing to me is suspicious.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

Well he did tell his teammates before training camp this last year.

"I didn't realize how many people actually knew, and I was afraid that someone would tell or leak something out about me," he said. "I want to own my truth. ... No one else should tell my story but me."

He had already confided in a few close friends, Sam recalled, and had dated a fellow athlete who was not a football player -- so while coming out to his Mizzou teammates last year was a key moment, it came almost as an afterthought, during preseason training camp.

"Coaches just wanted to know a little about ourselves, our majors, where we're from, and something that no one knows about you," Sam said. "And I used that opportunity just to tell them that I was gay. And their reaction was like, 'Michael Sam finally told us.' "

Asked what that moment felt like, Sam said, "I was kind of scared, even though they already knew. Just to see their reaction was awesome. They supported me from Day One. I couldn't have better teammates. ... I'm telling you what: I wouldn't have the strength to do this today if I didn't know how much support they'd given me this past semester."

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Probably wasn't ready. Not the easiest thing to come out and admit with the social stigma attached to it.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

Maybe he needs a date

PhxRam

Interesting take on it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140209/michael-sam-draft-stock/

The news that former Missouri defensive end Michael Sam is gay holds significant social and cultural ramifications. But from a purely football perspective, his decision to come out prior to May's NFL draft will make his path to the league daunting, eight NFL executives and coaches told SI.com.

In blunt terms, they project a significant drop in Sam's draft stock, a publicity circus and an NFL locker room culture not prepared to deal with an openly gay player. Sam, the SEC Defensive Player of the Year, was projected as a mid- to late-round draft pick prior to his announcement.

While none of the executives overtly condemned Sam's decision, their opinions illuminated an NFL culture in which an openly gay player -- from the draft room to the locker room -- faces long odds and a lonely path.

The executives and coaches were granted anonymity by SI.com for their honesty. Their answers were consistently unsparing.

"I don't think football is ready for [an openly gay player] just yet," said an NFL player personnel assistant. "In the coming decade or two, it's going to be acceptable, but at this point in time it's still a man's-man game. To call somebody a [gay slur] is still so commonplace. It'd chemically imbalance an NFL locker room and meeting room."

All the NFL personnel members interviewed believed that Sam's announcement will cause him to drop in the draft. He was projected between the third and seventh rounds prior to the announcement. The question is: How far will he fall?

"I just know with this going on this is going to drop him down," said a veteran NFL scout. "There's no question about it. It's human nature. Do you want to be the team to quote-unquote 'break that barrier?'"

Before his announcement, Sam had already emerged as a divisive prospect. Some look at his SEC-best 11.5 sacks and 19 tackles for loss and see a high-motor pass rusher who could go as high as the third round. Others see Sam, who is 6-foot-2 and 260 pounds, as an undersized defensive end without a true position in the NFL. Of his 11.5 sacks, nine came in three games against what one scout called "garbage competition" -- Vanderbilt, Arkansas State and Florida. "His numbers are inflated," a scout said. "You've got to see through that."

One former NFL general manager described how Sam's future could play out in the draft room. He said when a team is nine slots away from making a pick, there is typically a declaration in the draft room that six players are being considered. When a team is five spots away, that consideration set is whittled to three.

If Sam is among that group of players, the potential distraction of his presence -- both in the media and the locker room -- could prevent him from being selected.

"That will break a tie against that player," the former general manager said. "Every time. Unless he's Superman. Why? Not that they're against gay people. It's more that some players are going to look at you upside down. Every Tom, Dick and Harry in the media is going to show up, from Good Housekeeping to the Today show. A general manager is going to ask, 'Why are we going to do that to ourselves?'"

The former general manager said that it would take an NFL franchise with a strong owner, savvy general manager and veteran coach to make drafting Sam work. He rattled off franchises like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, San Francisco, Baltimore and Indianapolis as potential destinations. The former general manager added that a team with a rookie head coach would not be an ideal landing spot.

Sam's announcement did not come as a surprise to most NFL teams. Sam's sexual orientation was considered an open secret in his college town of Columbia, Mo., and the assistant personnel man said he believed "90 percent of teams" were already aware that Sam was gay and had dropped him on their draft boards. He estimated that of the 32 NFL franchises, only two or three didn't know prior to Sunday night's news. He projected that it will impact Sam's draft status "quite a bit."

"You're going to have to have one confident general manager or head coach that is certainly entrenched in his position and established to draft a player like that," the assistant personnel director said. "It's one thing to have Chris Kluwe or Brendon Ayanbadejo, advocates for gay rights, on your team. It's another to have a current confirmed player."

Multiple NFL executives questioned Sam's decision to come out now, as he will be the biggest story in football between now and the NFL draft on May 8. The NFL combine from Feb. 22-25 could turn into a four-day referendum on Sam's professional future. And his place in the NFL draft will be endlessly debated between now and May.

An NFL assistant coach called Sam's decision "not a smart move," as he said it "legitimately affects [his] potential earnings." It wasn't lost on the NFL executives that former NBA player Jason Collins, who came out last April in a Sports Illustrated story, hasn't been signed by an NBA team this year.

"You shouldn't have to live your life in secrecy," the assistant coach said, "but do you really want to be the top of the conversation for everything without ever having played a down in this league?"

The assistant coach said that the decision to draft Sam will ultimately rest on a franchise's level of comfort in possibly disrupting the dynamic of the locker room.

"There are guys in locker rooms that maturity-wise cannot handle it or deal with the thought of that," the assistant coach said. "There's nothing more sensitive than the heartbeat of the locker room. If you knowingly bring someone in there with that sexual orientation, how are the other guys going to deal with it? It's going to be a big distraction. That's the reality. It shouldn't be, but it will be."

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Hey Teo got drafted after having sex with an imaginary girl, this is nuthin'

bluecoconuts

Legend
That's pretty disappointing. I wish the NFL would do a "You can play" thing like the NHL does. It's not a big deal unless they make it one.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
In blunt terms, they project a significant drop in Sam's draft stock, a publicity circus and an NFL locker room culture not prepared to deal with an openly gay player. Sam, the SEC Defensive Player of the Year, was projected as a mid- to late-round draft pick prior to his announcement.
Not prepared to deal with it? That's just sad.

RamsFan14

Starter
The fact that some scouts think his stock is about to drop because he's openly gay says a lot about how big a deal this is... Quite a bit.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think in the end, he'll end up going about where he was projected(4thish round). Someone will make that leap.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Michael Sam was an All-American and a leader for a team that finished 5th in the country last season. I know he is projected as a mid-round pick, but the guy can play football.

As far as the other part, good for him. I'm glad someone finally came out while they were still playing. I doubt that today it would affect where he is drafted, but you never know

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
sounds like he might be a steal, maybe snisher will grab him.

By the way, there is no closet.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
sounds like he might be a steal, maybe snisher will grab him.

By the way, there is no closet.
Unfortunately, there are people that still make a big deal out of this. Ignorance is bliss for some folks! He might be a good lb with lot of training camp reps. I'm pulling for him to make it in the NFL!

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Honestly to say it's not a deal and then to advocate signing guys like Incognito ,not necessarily him but people like him, is expecting to control peoples thoughts. Stupid isn't criminal if it were ,where would we get the prison guards?

I expect he'll be drafted by a team with a coach that has unquestioned job security, probably not a new one, someone will get bargain ,cuz his stock will drop some and he'll get to go to a better team.
With meatheads like Suh and Cogs around in abundance, ya gotta know it'd become an issue in a septic locker room.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
It was brave. Not easy to be the first openly gay man in the NFL, especially before he's even drafted. I hope it doesn't affect his stock, but some teams might not want that kind of attention.