Missouri DE Michael Sam Says He's Gay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Missouri DE Michael Sam, a projected mid-round pick, said today he's gay. Story now on ESPN2.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

In an interview on ESPN2, Mizzou All-American Michael Sam says he’s gay. “It’s who I am. … I’m not afraid of who I am.”

Michael Sam is the model voice to speak out on this issue. As one NFL exec said today, "This young man is courageous."

NFL sexual orientation anti-discrimination & harassment policy states HCs + GMs not allowed to seek info re: a player's sexual orientation.

Last edited by a moderator:

RamsFan14

Starter
Uhhh what's your title supposed to mean?!?!

Takes guts to admit your gay, congrats to him! You are who you are as a person, can't help it. Seems like a good guy with a troubled past, wish him the best! Wouldn't mind him being a Ram if the price is right.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Word is most of his team knew already and "the powers that be" in NFL circles did too so it wasn't a surprise to most anyone except the gen public.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't think being gay comes with much of a stigma anymore. It's not 1978 or anything.
Now it's basically like ... who cares?

RamEERS

Pastor
I don't think being gay comes with much of a stigma anymore. It's not 1978 or anything.
Now it's basically like ... who cares?
seriously... and now he's going to get a lot of special treatment for it...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
seriously... and now he's going to get a lot of special treatment for it...
But he shouldn't. JAG (as long as he does not have AIDS) and no one I've ever heard of.

Not sure what the need for the title is all about.

bluecoconuts

Legend
If he's good, draft him. If not then don't. That's what I care about. Gay means nothing to me.

Fun fact though, Dallas and a few other cities in the south are more "gay" than San Fransisco.

tonyl711

Starter
could care less if he is gay, Elton John is too and I still like his music. the only thing I wonder is if any teams will be afraid to take him thinking he might disrupt the locker room.

A55VA6

Legend
All I care about is the football aspect. If he's gay, fine. Let his personal life be separate.

RamsFan14

Starter
In a sense it's not a big deal, but in another sense it's a big deal. I think it works both ways depending on how you look at it. For people who are gay, I'd think this is a huge deal. And for people who use the word gay as a negative connotation, hopefully they learn to be really sensible about what they say in public. And for people who don't see being gay as an issue... Yea it's not a big deal, you are who you are.

Man I used to play Xbox live all the time, and I couldn't believe some of the stuff kids said on there... Pretty sad, but that's another story for another forum! :cool:

bluecoconuts

Legend
could care less if he is gay, Elton John is too and I still like his music. the only thing I wonder is if any teams will be afraid to take him thinking he might disrupt the locker room.

Then we can get great value out of him in the 4th or 5th.(y)

tonyl711

Starter
Then we can get great value out of him in the 4th or 5th.(y)
would love to see him here, he is pretty freaking good, hopefully for his sake him coming out like this don't scare teams off of him and make his draft stock lower.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
As a Mizzou guy, I'm thrilled for him. Who gives a damn if he is gay. He is a fucking stud on the field. I hope he can be a bridge to more people feeling comfortable in their own skin.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't really know how football players see the issue in reality. I would bet the coaches know. I'll go ahead and release the elephant in the room. Personally, I think the whole coming out thing is a bunch of nonsense. I'm sure his fellow players know it and would know it once he got in the NFL. That is then for the group to handle. I don't give two shits if he's gay, bi, or hetero. It's none of my business. And it smacks of "look at me".

I do think the title of the thread is uncalled for though. He may be gay but I don't think he said he was an asshole.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If a someone came out of the closet and no one cared, would he still be gay?