Missouri DE Michael Sam Says He's Gay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BadCompany

Rookie
It was brave. Not easy to be the first openly gay man in the NFL, especially before he's even drafted. I hope it doesn't affect his stock, but some teams might not want that kind of attention.

Conversely some team might want him precisely for that. The attention, and/or marketing that comes with it. If you are struggling franchise that nobody pays any attention to outside of your own niche market then what better way to put yourself in the national spotlight? Earn a few extra bucks from the politically correct crowd looking to "support" your "brave" decision?

For the record, I don't personally give a damn. As the NHL says "if you can play, you can play." I wish we lived in a world where as said above he came out and nobody noticed. Unfortunately we are not (yet) in that world. I hope he gets drafted, and I hope he does well as a football player, though not against us of course. But I think it's naïve to think this won't be a major story for months to come.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Well any time you are different you are gonna be subject to attitudes.
I mean there is always the chance you have a silent victim of homosexual rape among your players ,no one knows from whence a persons attitudes come and making an issue of something "different" involves risk along with unaffected bystanders passing judgement through their attitudes.
Kids got guts,I'm sure the sailing won't always be smooth I wish him the best.

Psycho_X

Legend
I agree with the "who cares" sentiment.

As a fan, if the dude can tackle and play football like a pro I want him on my team.

As a player, if the dude is a good teammate and a hard ass worker I want him as a teammate.

I know some people in the world do care and that's why this is a bigger deal than it needs to be. And unfortunately the media wants to sell the story for that reason. But I think it's a waste of time reporting about people's lifestyles.

To everyone saying "who cares," if you can't comprehend the gravity of the first openly gay man set to play in the NFL, then I would say you're missing something.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I don't care, but many probably do. Times are changing, and a lot of people don't like change.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I don't think there is a large percentage of players that necessarily care that he is gay, but I am sure there will be some that are just unsure on how to deal with it. For instance, changing in locker room or when someone says something like "Seahawks" when it isn't necessarily in reference to sexual orientation, just being used as a general insult. For a small percentage of players it'll be an adjustment period, but I doubt it'll be something that creates major problems in todays NFL and society in general.

bluecoconuts

Legend
To everyone saying "who cares," if you can't comprehend the gravity of the first openly gay man set to play in the NFL, then I would say you're missing something.

I think they mean they don't care he's gay, just if he's a good player or not.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
From the movie, Victor/Victoria:

James Garner's character, after discovering that his bodyguard, played by Alex Karras, is gay: But I never saw a rougher, tougher, son-of-a-bitching football player.

Alex Karras' character: If you didn't want the guys to call you queer, you became a rough, tough, son-of-a-bitch football player.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

fuck me, every second story on the yahoo nfl news page is about this guy. why does the media have to go overboard about these things?

ram29jackson

Rookie
look people...theres a reason a person like Tim Tebow who hardly played a lick and wasn't good in the pro's was one of the most popular players in the league. He represented what the majority of Americans want in their tv/sports personalities . A moral man with ethics and the same general beliefs of right and wrong...ok that was redundant lol...your right to a degree..no one will care that he's gay because no one wants to hear about the crap anyway, they want to push him to the side and not hear about it. Tebow hardly played and the nfl made millions on his jerseys.

if this guy ends up being any good he still wont make that kind of money for the league...no one will want to be seen in a Sam jersey at all.he'll play his 4 years and quietly fade away and try to make money on a book about it...if he even makes a team ?

if he has any talent this was the dumbest thing he could have done.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I live in an apartment building and another resident whom I've become friend's has a brother who played for the Chargers back in the Air Coryell days. I asked him about this since his brother was in the NFL and he said that a very prominent player for the Chargers back then was gay, everyone knew it, and no one cared-this is back in the 70s and 80s mind you.

I'm not sure how it will go down with Sam since he did come out officially, but I think it will be a much bigger deal to the media than to the actual players who he plays with

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
From what I've read, the guy was projected as a mid to late round pick, so he's probably pushed himself way down the boards, since if it's a tie between him and another guy, a team is going to take a guy who is NOT a media distraction.

Although I *could* see the Vikings taking him to kill Kluwe's case against them (which is weak anyway, veterans are replaced by cheaper rookies all the time).

If a team does take him, he's going to have a rule put on him that he cannot make a pass at a teammate. Relationships in the workplace are NEVER a good idea.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
His bad decision to announce his sexual orientation is not courageous or brave or any of those things. Buying in to that view is weak. This was all about "look at me" I gay and if the NFL doesn't like it I will sue the league. Why does anyone need to announce their sexual orientation to the world?? You're gay so go be gay whatever. I'll bet when someone sees you kissing another guy they will figure it out.

WEAK

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
The league should handle these situations the same was as the military used to. Don't ask, don't tell.

I personally don't have a problem with homosexuality. But, as a fan of the game I don't see how this helps anyone.

My personal view? This is probably left out, but what fun would that be. This was leaked by Sam and his agent to save face about his draft projection. If his team mates at Mizzou knew about this all along, as he said in the interview, then why wasn't this known already?

The league should handle these situations the same was as the military used to. Don't ask, don't tell.

I personally don't have a problem with homosexuality. But, as a fan of the game I don't see how this helps anyone.

My personal view? This is probably left out, but what fun would that be. This was leaked by Sam and his agent to save face about his draft projection. If his team mates at Mizzou knew about this all along, as he said in the interview, then why wasn't this known already?

3.8% of America is homosexual (according to Wikipedia), there's around 1700 players on active rosters each season, which means around 66 players, chances are at least one of those 66 are known to be homosexuals, how come we don't know about that guy?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
3.8% of America is homosexual (according to Wikipedia), there's around 1700 players on active rosters each season, which means around 66 players, chances are at least one of those 66 are known to be homosexuals, how come we don't know about that guy?

Taking a general statistic and applying it to the NFL doesn't give you an accurate number.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Taking a general statistic and applying it to the NFL doesn't give you an accurate number.
True. That's like saying 3.8% of The Teamsters are gay, or 3.8% of organized crime is gay. Not likely.
But he did say chances are "at least one of those 66" could be gay. That's probable. I'm sure there are some who are keeping that a secret.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
True. That's like saying 3.8% of The Teamsters are gay, or 3.8% of organized crime is gay. Not likely.
But he did say chances are "at least one of those 66" could be gay. That's probable. I'm sure there are some who are keeping that a secret.
There were rumors this last season that Free Agent S Kerry Rhodes was gay, and that because of that, he was supposedly being blackballed by NFL teams.