Mike Thomas made strides

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Cooper is the only player I can recall seeing playing live (3 games) and on the tube, (10 games(?) ).

He is definitely a "McVay guy".

He gives 100% effort every play.
Whether blocking downfield, blocking in the backfield, setting a pick, running the ball, passing or catching.

100% EFFORT.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Thomas has to be the most over hyped 6th round pick
in Rams history.And has shown absolutely nothing as a WR since
drafted.I honestly can't understand the mothers love for this guy.

Cooper regardless of position is a McVay blue print
for receiver.smart,polished route runner with good hands.
I will gladly take anyone's ROD money who thinks Cooper
doesn't make the squad.
if either become a nice chess piece i will be happy. Just think Thomas can bring more to the table right now.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I would agree with the notion that it looks like we have about 6 slot guys, Reynolds, Woods and Thomas. The question then becomes, do you keep the best player or the right fit?

6WR 4TE 3RB, is that a bit heavy on the offensive skill positions?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
i would be very happy with that :cheers:
Thomas makes it because he's an outside receiver.
We are not exactly deep at outside receiver.

Cooper makes it because he's an all-around football player.

He's not just a slot receiver.

He's a special teams dynamo.

He's a needed return man.

And he may just be our 3rd string running back as well.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Relax ? It's all good.

I'm going to keep making my predictions.
I also am trying to read into McVay's view point.

Rogers over Harkey-- it is easy to see The Rams needed an upgrade at the position. He is a Swiss Knife type player. Reminds me of some of the good 9er FB that have hurt The Rams in the past.

Hemingway has been mentioned a couple times & seems to me as a perfect project for McVay. He has a lot of raw talent.I think he could be good on special teams as well. Real good in drills practicing on the other side of the ball.

Mike Thomas imo makes the team because he has been good on special teams. Made 6 tackles & has to beat out Marquez. I will add that Spruce could be a surprise ? He has shown some ability in practice on special teams.

I think the numbers will be heavier at WR position. I think one less on the O'Line. A back up center on practice squad.

Aaron Green will probably get cut. Dunbar, Brown as backup HB's .

2 QB's. -- imo I think looking at what personnel Wade had on defense with Denver will be a tale tail.

Keep them predictions coming, I been known to eat crow from time too time lol.
I think Mike Thomas should be the #5 guy and an ace on the ST's unit all season, I think Reynolds is just more naturally talented WR from the get go. IMO I think its a coin flip if they go w/ 5 or 6 WRs to start the season. I also think Marquez & Spruce can be good possibilities to slide onto the practice squad if the coach likes them. Aaron Green will end back onto the practice squad again also.
If they like him they might no use him in order to hide & slide onto practice squad.

I wasn't dissing your post, I just think our back end depth at WR is shaky at best in my opinion and I can see them being replace entering 2018-2019 season vs. moving up the depth into said key spot. For me the WR depth has been and albatross the last decade, and easy to move on from the back end.

Next year I think we add another good outside WR (paired w/ Reynolds) to the mix (top 2 picks along w/ DE) and Krupp could end up inside long term. His brains/hands & route skills were made for the slot imho.

The future at WR in my opinion is as follows:

Woods
Reynolds
Kupp

Another high draft pick or a surprise FA signing.

And if Reynolds develops like we think then we can add a WR later in the draft again which would allow us to add a DE & CB w/ top 2 picks if we don't lock up Tru to a long term deal.

Woods Reynolds & Krupp is a solid 3-some w/ Higbee & Everett the hybrid chess piece, plus Rogers!!!
Thats 6 good passing options for Goff. Oh ya and a dude by the name of Gurley and his slick catching hands to boot

fearsomefour

Legend
I was more worried about his hands than his stride :whistle:
Yes, he was bad nearly every time he was on the field last year.
So were most of the receivers.
It's a tough make this year but he has a chance.
Interested to see how Thomas and Cooper in year two.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Gonna be a great battle in camp this season.

4 locks.

Then Cooper, Thomas and spruce most likely battling it out for the last 2 spots.

Any other wr have a chance to make the team?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Holy Kentucky fried pound cake!

Has he been hanging out with Rok Watkins?
To be honest there are other pic's of him in camp and he looks normal. That one looks like he's been showing Rok and Fat Albert a thing or two.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I definitely think the Rams will keep 6 WR. Since they have so much youth, they need to keep more bodies and give them a chance to develop/blossom, plus McVay has stated that he likes keeping WR's with varying skillsets. I think our Rams now have a solid nucleus of capable talent at WR. They just do not have that elite "tilt the field" type of freak like Julio Jones (few teams actually do).

All of the incumbent WR's on the roster have question marks but in McVay's offense I trust that we will see the cream rise to the top and we will find out which ones were victims of the system/coaching and which ones were victimizers of the system. Of Last year's remaining WR's, Austin is the only lock for 2017 and now is the time for him to earn that fat contract. IMO P. Cooper is close to being a lock for making the team as well but there is thread of doubt about his security for me with this being a new coaching staff. Cooper's resume and 4th round draft status definitely gives him a leg up on Thomas and Spruce as far as making the roster but if he falls behind mentally or gets slowed by some nagging injury he could be left looking for work elsewhere if his competition really impresses.

Thomas's special teams value will gives him an advantage over Spruce but if Thomas exhibits continued inconsistency securing the catch and Spruce can demonstrates better hands, route running and overall consistency, Thomas' special teams value may not be enough for him to make the squad. Marquez is the third most experienced WR on the Roster after Woods and Austin plus he is one of Fassel's ST guys so that could still have some sway in him making the roster if he can show enough as a receiver.

My take/OPINION (I think seems to be consistent with many others here)
Roster locks barring injury or off-the-field-incidents: (I think the latter is very unlike with this top 4)
  • Austin
  • Woods
  • Kupp
  • Reynolds
Top Bubble Guys
  • Cooper
  • Thomas
  • Spruce
  • Marquez
Extreme Long shots
  • McRoberts
  • North
  • Shakier
  • Wilson
  • Shippen

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
To be honest there are other pic's of him in camp and he looks normal. That one looks like he's been showing Rok and Fat Albert a thing or two.
Just looking at his face, neck and love handles, the guy has gained some serious weight.

That was shot with a wide-angle lens but the distortion of a wide-angle is on the edges more so than the center where he is located.

I just Googled his name and all the stories are about his weight. Apparently, he usually comes in overweight and gets into playing weight in camp.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
body+shaming.png

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Thomas has to be the most over hyped 6th round pick
in Rams history.And has shown absolutely nothing as a WR since
drafted.I honestly can't understand the mothers love for this guy.

Cooper regardless of position is a McVay blue print
for receiver.smart,polished route runner with good hands.
I will gladly take anyone's ROD money who thinks Cooper
doesn't make the squad.
On that Bet ... Are we talking Pharoh COOPER or COOPER Kupp!?! I just want it to be perfectly clear!!:rolllaugh: