Mike Thomas made strides

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice !! For some reason I think he comes from a big bone-(type) family ?
He has all the tools . He has a good mind set as well.
--When McVay(Snead)drafted him he kept saying are you ticked off ?? You should be ticked off !! Your not a 4th rd pick. I think Wade really wanted John Johnson as a DB. So from all that has been said about Johnson as well , makes me think some Ram fans will be wrong.
-Johnson is a confident. Confident kid from BC . He ex-teammate played for Wade last year. There is a good connection there.
Yeah I remember an analyst saying that Reynolds should've been a second round pick. He's a long strider who struggles running the short routes apparently but his intermediate to deep ball will be his specialty. I like Johnson as well. He may he a free safety or nickel corner I'm guessing?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This is interesting. When did coach Mac do this and what did he say about Thomas?

~ArkyRamsFan~

Saw a picture of him recently where his arms were clearly bigger

Yesterday after The first OTA's . Said Mike Thomas looked like he was catching the ball all day, but you never know for sure until you see it on film. McVay was real excited to go breakdown the practice. --So I guess he must have stood out.
--My quote is not word for word & it is on Rams site on McVays interview.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1001694&draftyear=2016&genpos=WR

It says Mike Thomas looks bigger and more confident...2nd year...He made a nice play on a long pass up the sideline from Jared Goff....

bunch of other reports are out...But McVay specifically said his name in a presser posted by FloridaRam about yesterdays practice.

Last edited:

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mike Thomas suffered last season from what many young wideouts suffer from---dealing with NFL-caliber hits on a fairly frequent basis. This probably had him being more concerned about the hits than handling the rock. The way you deal with that is to come back and strengthen/toughen your body so you can handle those big hits better and to get more savvy at route running and avoiding big hits after the catch. Isaac bruce jumped from 21 catches his rookie year to 119 catches in his sophomore campaign. I do not expect the same growth spurt from Mike, but I do expect significant growth.
I also felt like he had an issue that many of our offensive players have had. They're young and coming into a high pressure situation. It seems like every pass catcher we bring in has thin rope because of how bad the offense has been and how inpatient we are with developing receivers. Combine that with the losing/poor scheme and you get a kid who is probably rushing and forcing himself which leads to drops and mental lapses. Gotta do well for him that he's working with coaches/ a scheme that can build him instead of vice versa

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Encouraging comments about Thomas and his catches are most welcome.

Fingers crossed. If the kid has put his drops problem behind him, the sky is the limit.

'Cause he can be a highlight reel acrobatic catch machine when he's "on".

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The sad fact is, WR's that have a history of dropping balls through high school and college rarely change for the better when they reach the NFL. I sure hope Thomas can turn it around.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He was a site favorite last year if I recall correctly
Naw, that was Spruuuuuce.

@bubbaramfan
I watched Ike Bruce, Terrell Owens, Jerry Rice, and recently, Demarious Thomas all struggle with drops....I don't really know their HS and college history....but they all turned out fine in the end. Patience young jedi....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I can't wait until TC and Pre-Season to see how thing's shape up with all the WR's we have!(y);):D ( My last count we have 12 on the Roster!!)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As I've said many times, I feel confident that Thomas makes the roster. Special teams alone could earn him a spot, but he also can operate as a deep threat. That's a valuable role in McVay's scheme. Thomas can get open. That's half the battle. I think his hands will come around. Rookie jitters are a real thing. Thomas will always drop some passes, but it won't be nearly as bad as it was last year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I also felt like he had an issue that many of our offensive players have had. They're young and coming into a high pressure situation. It seems like every pass catcher we bring in has thin rope because of how bad the offense has been and how inpatient we are with developing receivers. Combine that with the losing/poor scheme and you get a kid who is probably rushing and forcing himself which leads to drops and mental lapses. Gotta do well for him that he's working with coaches/ a scheme that can build him instead of vice versa

If you go by what jap said , I'll say it happened a lot with Fisher. He did not let guys hit much. I think there is a huge coaching mindset this season.

--Gurley sort of. Ales me mad at his interviews.It gets old from last season. He was solid for the most part his rookie year. --When ask about the difference in coaching. He said it just football and just learning the offense & plays. We have done that since we were young.He can be such a bleak !!! Last season he had his statement of a Jr. high Offense before Fisher was let go. He also said about his weight and comfort level ? He looks slimmer big time and has lost weight weather he wants to say it or not. That means he should be faster & more explosive.

My thinking is McVay will let it get more physical. He made a reference on keeping with in the guidelines of NFL rules on contact. That makes me feel like he wants to push it to the highest level of contact.
Wade (players)talks about teaching tackling, which with Fisher & Williams at times was a lost art.Hands & technique are allison's instances in Vinces the point of efficienc .

WestCoastRam

Legend
Think his drops go past rookie jitters... thought that was the knock on him coming out of college - make some highlight catches and drop a ton of easy ones. Here's hoping he can get that fixed but usually it seems like receivers either can catch or can't once they get to the NFL and not much changes after that.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Think his drops go past rookie jitters... thought that was the knock on him coming out of college - make some highlight catches and drop a ton of easy ones. Here's hoping he can get that fixed but usually it seems like receivers either can catch or can't once they get to the NFL and not much changes after that.
Say Cooper Kupp starts dropping the ball...not wishing it, but rookie stuff happens...you think he's never gonna get back to the Kupp everyone knows?

He looks slimmer big time and has lost weight weather he wants to say it or not. That means he should be faster & more explosive.
Depends on if he lost fat (doubtful) or muscle...you lose muscle, you'll lose explosiveness.

Zero

Pro Bowler
As president of the Mike Thomas fan club, I expect nothing less. Hopefully he gets a fair shot earning a starting spot
As president of the "Mike Thomas is a Sissy fan club"
(Not that there is anything wrong with being a sissy)
I am in complete shock at recent developments,but
happy to hear them none the less.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm a fan of Mike Thomas. Even if he doesn't earn a starting role, he's the best gunner we have. With more improvements, he and Pharoh will get some looks on offense, and not just special teams.

Here's hoping that we dominate the NFC West!

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Definitely a fan, I hope to see more of these reports. Also, McVay mentioned "seeing good things" from Hemingway, another guy I'm pulling for.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I was praying and screaming for the the Rams to draft him last year and they did thankfully. The drops were not fun to watch but if he fixes them, then he could become a real threat. He showed he can get open and will only get better, but if can't catch consistently, it's mute.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Say Cooper Kupp starts dropping the ball...not wishing it, but rookie stuff happens...you think he's never gonna get back to the Kupp everyone knows?

Depends on if he lost fat (doubtful) or muscle...you lose muscle, you'll lose explosiveness.

ya but Thomas doesn't have anything to go back to if he does he will be right where he is now. Kupp didn't drop anything in College.