Manziel has a great Pro Day...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A great thing.

If this is true, would you take him at #2............................................
we're not in that situation.
If we were in "that situation" ,IOW if we had earned the 2nd pick through a poor record due to abysmal alternatives in our QB corps ,I wouldn't hesitate to pick him UNLESS there was a QB I thought fit my plans better. Bortles would be the only guy I'd definitely take over JM maybe Carr. I wouldn't draft Bridgewater in the first round

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Norv Turner calls Johnny Manziel “amazingly accurate”
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 28, 2014

738321609d255378d9ceb18c877a358a.jpeg
Getty Images

Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner came away impressed after the much-hyped Pro Day of former Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.

He was amazingly accurate,” Turner told theHouston Chronicle. “He showed all the things he needed to show. People who’ve watched a lot of tape on him are pretty familiar with what he can do. It’s good to see a guy in person, though.”

Turner, however, has been talking up other quarterbacks in this year’s draft as well. Turner previously raved about Derek Carr after Fresno State’s Pro Day, and even after Teddy Bridgewater’s Pro Day, which most observers said was disappointing, Turner said he thought Bridgewater looked fine.

So the Vikings are probably going to avoid tipping their hands about which quarterback they like by saying they like every quarterback.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Oh so he made the atmosphere like an NFL stadium complete with noise?
I bolded that line because like you say, all you did was look for reasons to reaffirm your opinion.

I didn't know what to think about the kid before today, I knew he had trouble winning when he wasn't able to improvise,today he showed me he could make the throws a pro OC designs for him amd wasn't expected to improvise.

Easily half the "team executives" who were there aren't in the market for ANY QB who will go as high as Manzeil and were just hoping he stunk today so they could get a bargain in the third or fourth round,then there is the smokescreen element ,so I trust MY EYES, the kid sparkled and if we had KC as our starter ,I'd pull the trigger on him at 2 with no hesitation,unless Bortles was there,JMO Bortles is another Ben Rothlesburger.

True enough for both of us. We reaffirmed our opinion. Nothing wrong with that.......time will tell and to be sure, I've been wrong before and will be again in the future. I wish the kid the best, I hope he succeeds in the NFL. To be sure, there are people on both sides of this issue and that's how it should be, everyone has their own opinion.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Norv Turner calls Johnny Manziel “amazingly accurate”
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 28, 2014

738321609d255378d9ceb18c877a358a.jpeg
Getty Images

Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner came away impressed after the much-hyped Pro Day of former Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.

He was amazingly accurate,” Turner told theHouston Chronicle. “He showed all the things he needed to show. People who’ve watched a lot of tape on him are pretty familiar with what he can do. It’s good to see a guy in person, though.”

Turner, however, has been talking up other quarterbacks in this year’s draft as well. Turner previously raved about Derek Carr after Fresno State’s Pro Day, and even after Teddy Bridgewater’s Pro Day, which most observers said was disappointing, Turner said he thought Bridgewater looked fine.

So the Vikings are probably going to avoid tipping their hands about which quarterback they like by saying they like every quarterback.

Let The Biiiiiiiiidddddddddiiiiiinnnnnnggggggggg Begin!

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
True enough for both of us. We reaffirmed our opinion. Nothing wrong with that.......time will tell and to be sure, I've been wrong before and will be again in the future. I wish the kid the best, I hope he succeeds in the NFL. To be sure, there are people on both sides of this issue and that's how it should be, everyone has their own opinion.
No actually Manzeil changed my mind about him,he showed me he was able to make all the throws ,I FWIW was pretty much a skeptic before yesterday ,kid showed me enough I started a thread.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just wonder if the reason that Johnny did his pro day in pads and helmet was to add to his very small stature?. You think that this costume helped?

I have be under the impression that none of this years QB's is anything close to a sure thing. However so many deprived QB teams will keep them upward in the draft but it appears that none will cause what most of us wanted at the top of the draft where there will be a bidding war.

Last edited:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
No actually Manzeil changed my mind about him,he showed me he was able to make all the throws ,I FWIW was pretty much a skeptic before yesterday ,kid showed me enough I started a thread.

Really. Well fair enough.

For me, pro days might reaffirm something, but a QB going through plays that he scripts, to receivers he picks, to run routes he choses, in a setting he arranges, without a pass rush/game conditions doesn't do much for me. If he does well, IMHO he should under those ideal conditions, but if he does poorly, it might be an indicator there are other issues that you might need to look into.

In short, for the most part, I don't think he (or anyone) proves much on a pro day under ideal/hand picked conditions.
I'd still rely more on tape and background checks/interviews etc.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Really. Well fair enough.

For me, pro days might reaffirm something, but a QB going through plays that he scripts, to receivers he picks, to run routes he choses, in a setting he arranges, without a pass rush/game conditions doesn't do much for me. If he does well, IMHO he should under those ideal conditions, but if he does poorly, it might be an indicator there are other issues that you might need to look into.

In short, for the most part, I don't think he (or anyone) proves much on a pro day under ideal/hand picked conditions.
I'd still rely more on tape and background checks/interviews etc.
ALL the QB's had the same opportunity to shine in their pro days,one of them outshined the others it was JM .IOW he won the "pro day" competition,it's not meaningless and since most of his success has been from his ability to improvise and he did the best in structured workouts that's two of three criteria in his favor,still though the NFL is brutal on a QB's body so Bortles is still my first choice, Manzeil edges Carr and Bridgewater comes in a distant 4th his pro day stunk and as controlled as they are stinking there is a game changer for me.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
There is also a little "pressure" to these work outs. Sure, they're scripted and well practiced, but delivering with all eyes on you, and the weight of millions of dollars, says something about your ability to handle clutch.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
ALL the QB's had the same opportunity to shine in their pro days,one of them outshined the others it was JM .IOW he won the "pro day" competition,it's not meaningless and since most of his success has been from his ability to improvise and he did the best in structured workouts that's two of three criteria in his favor,still though the NFL is brutal on a QB's body so Bortles is still my first choice, Manzeil edges Carr and Bridgewater comes in a distant 4th his pro day stunk and as controlled as they are stinking there is a game changer for me.

True enough they all had the opportunity to shine, that's for sure.

There is no right or wrong answer for me at this point, just opinion.

No biggie either way. (y)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we were in "that situation" ,IOW if we had earned the 2nd pick through a poor record due to abysmal alternatives in our QB corps ,I wouldn't hesitate to pick him UNLESS there was a QB I thought fit my plans better. Bortles would be the only guy I'd definitely take over JM maybe Carr. I wouldn't draft Bridgewater in the first round

Well, I'll just say I disagree. Bridgewater isn't flashy but neither are the great QBs. He beats you with his mind, instincts, and by taking what is there. That's what great QBs do.

Why do I like Bridgewater so much? These couple plays will help explain why:

Works off first progression, climbs the pocket, and drops the ball in over the linebacker and underneath the deep zone coverage down the seam to the TE

Pressure comes around the edge and the RG gets pushed back into the pocket, Bridgewater climbs the ladder while side-stepping the RG, finds a throwing lane, and while doing all of that, he keeps his eyes down-field, goes through 3-4 progressions and finds his check-down option for a TD

That second play may not seem like much...who cares about a 5 yard TD to a HB...but that's about as good as it gets when you're trying to evaluate how a guy will transition to the NFL. That's what great NFL QBs do. They don't run from the pressure. They manipulate the pocket to avoid it, keep their eyes down the field, find a throwing lane, and hit the open man. That sort of pocket presence, movement, patience, and poise is not common for a college QB. That's why I think so highly of Bridgewater. Not because he's the most physically talented guy, not because he's the most fun to watch but because he has the make-up, instincts, and intelligence of a Franchise QB.

Just asking, can you think of any plays with Manziel doing something like that?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The biggest issue with Gabbert is he's a marshmallow. He has no fire in him, never did. Comparing Gabbert to Maziel is way off. They are 2 completely different beasts.

The reason why I brought up the smarts issue with Manziel is that even though he has fire he needs to be smart enough to learn. Tebow has fire, but he's flat out stupid.

I didn't compare the two. I used Gabbert as an example that being smart doesn't mean you can translate it. Being smart and having fire doesn't mean you can translate it. If Manziel can't read defenses now, I don't have much confidence he'll ever learn. Then again, I don't know if he can or can't.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, Thor. But personally, I hold game situations in higher esteem. From STATS LLC:
Bg2qIFDCUAEhrm_.png

And that only confirms what I've seen on film.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Well, I'll just say I disagree. Bridgewater isn't flashy but neither are the great QBs. He beats you with his mind, instincts, and by taking what is there. That's what great QBs do.

Why do I like Bridgewater so much? These couple plays will help explain why:

Works off first progression, climbs the pocket, and drops the ball in over the linebacker and underneath the deep zone coverage down the seam to the TE

Pressure comes around the edge and the RG gets pushed back into the pocket, Bridgewater climbs the ladder while side-stepping the RG, finds a throwing lane, and while doing all of that, he keeps his eyes down-field, goes through 3-4 progressions and finds his check-down option for a TD

That second play may not seem like much...who cares about a 5 yard TD to a HB...but that's about as good as it gets when you're trying to evaluate how a guy will transition to the NFL. That's what great NFL QBs do. They don't run from the pressure. They manipulate the pocket to avoid it, keep their eyes down the field, find a throwing lane, and hit the open man. That sort of pocket presence, movement, patience, and poise is not common for a college QB. That's why I think so highly of Bridgewater. Not because he's the most physically talented guy, not because he's the most fun to watch but because he has the make-up, instincts, and intelligence of a Franchise QB.

Just asking, can you think of any plays with Manziel doing something like that?

I'll say this jrry........TB has the best footwork of the guys coming out and it's not even close.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll say this jrry........TB has the best footwork of the guys coming out and it's not even close.

Agreed. Although his poor deep accuracy comes from some footwork issues that need to be cleaned up. And he needs to do a better job of striding into his throws and transferring his weight. He tends to get flat-footed at times and doesn't use his lower body enough.

But his pocket movement skills are as good as you find in a college QB.