Manziel has a great Pro Day...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Say what you want, but Manziel delivered today. He had a full house and he took the bull by the horns and flipped it.

Bridgewater wilted at his Pro Day. I would be very worried that he's won't handle the big stage well. Teddy is a high risk pick in my book.

Manziel had himself a great day...but as I've maintained throughout, it's a Pro Day. Doesn't compare to game situations.

I've never been concerned with Manziel's ability to throw. What concerns me with him is his mental ability and pocket presence. I don't pretend to know how he'll turn out. Like Kelvin Benjamin, he's too much of an enigma for me to really have a stance on. So I'm riding the fence on him. Won't predict success or failure. Because I don't know. But that's also why I wouldn't draft him. Then again, if I were in position to draft him, I'd have the information necessary to make a better judgement. :LOL:

As far as Bridgewater not handling the big stage, that seems to be an unfair criticism to me. The guy's team has gone 23-3 over the past two years. He helped his team destroy Miami in the Russell Athletic Bowl and beat up on a strong Florida defense in the Sugar Bowl in 2012.

Give me the guy who delivers in the game over the guy who delivers on the practice field. JaMarcus Russell had a pretty dominant Pro Day too.

Teddy isn't a perfect prospect but I think that's an unfair conclusion to make based on one day.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Manziel had himself a great day...but as I've maintained throughout, it's a Pro Day. Doesn't compare to game situations.

I've never been concerned with Manziel's ability to throw. What concerns me with him is his mental ability and pocket presence. I don't pretend to know how he'll turn out. Like Kelvin Benjamin, he's too much of an enigma for me to really have a stance on. So I'm riding the fence on him. Won't predict success or failure. Because I don't know. But that's also why I wouldn't draft him. Then again, if I were in position to draft him, I'd have the information necessary to make a better judgement. :LOL:

As far as Bridgewater not handling the big stage, that seems to be an unfair criticism to me. The guy's team has gone 23-3 over the past two years. He helped his team destroy Miami in the Russell Athletic Bowl and beat up on a strong Florida defense in the Sugar Bowl in 2012.

Give me the guy who delivers in the game over the guy who delivers on the practice field. JaMarcus Russell had a pretty dominant Pro Day too.

Teddy isn't a perfect prospect but I think that's an unfair conclusion to make based on one day.

Here's what scares me about Teddy. He doesn't throw at the Combine after saying he would, so he basically tells everyone come and see me at my Pro Day that's when I'll put it all on table for you guys. Then what does he do? He flops on his big Pro Day. Some guys thrive when they put pressure on themselves, Manziel showed today that he thrives. Teddy didn't. I don't know anything about QB mechanics, but I know when I see a guy who thrives on the big stage, and Manziel has it. And I worry about Teddy. No way I would take Teddy with the #2 pick even if we didn't have Bradford. I'd bet a big stack of blue chips on Manziel over Bridgewater, though I'm glad we have Sam so I don't have to make that pick.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's what scares me about Teddy. He doesn't throw at the Combine after saying he would, so he basically tells everyone come and see me at my Pro Day that's when I'll put it all on table for you guys. Then what does he do? He flops on his big Pro Day. Some guys thrive when they put pressure on themselves, Manziel showed today that he thrives. Teddy didn't. I don't know anything about QB mechanics, but I know when I see a guy who thrives on the big stage, and Manziel has it. And I worry about Teddy. No way I would take Teddy with the #2 pick even if we didn't have Bradford. I'd bet a big stack of blue chips on Manziel over Bridgewater, though I'm glad we have Sam so I don't have to make that pick.

I'd take that bet anyway. Put me down on all in for Bridgewater in comparison to Manziel. Bridgewater ran a West Coast offense from the line of scrimmage. That says it all to me.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
How much of Manziel's great work out can be contributed to the Mike Evans factor?????:whistle:

duckhunter

Starter
Yeah, man, especially now. They're so anxious to give us those two firsts their hands are twitching... ;)

If you go over to the mock drafts, I did one a month ago that has da Raiders moving up to 2 and taking Manziel. the reason is the Browns are cheap where da Raiders are swashbucklers.

Browns very easily get shut out of the top 3 QBs. Too smart for their own good.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
If you go over to the mock drafts, I did one a month ago that has da Raiders moving up to 2 and taking Manziel. the reason is the Browns are cheap where da Raiders are swashbucklers.

Browns very easily get shut out of the top 3 QBs. Too smart for their own good.

Agreed. So great to see our draft pick's stock potentially sky rocket with Bridgewater's pro day tanking and Manziel's shooting. If Houston takes Bortles then we're sitting pretty. You never know...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Manziel threw in shoulder pads and helmet. Every snap from under center. His long throws were all on the money. Kurt Warner said, " There aren't 20 quarterbacks in the NFL who can the throws we saw Manziel make to day."

Everyone from Maylock to Warner agreed that Manziel has the strongest arm in the draft.

Thats not good considering Jaws said his arm is adequate. That's not a word thats going to make Browns fans happy considering the stadium is outdoor and open to Lake Erie.

RamsFan14

Starter
I'd take that bet anyway. Put me down on all in for Bridgewater in comparison to Manziel. Bridgewater ran a West Coast offense from the line of scrimmage. That says it all to me.

You and Max have a lot of ROD money.......... For what it's worth! :ROFLMAO:

duckhunter

Starter
Agreed. So great to see our draft pick's stock potentially sky rocket with Bridgewater's pro day tanking and Manziel's shooting. If Houston takes Bortles then we're sitting pretty. You never know...

Snead is still in the hunt with this year's #1 and a #1 next year from some team. Some think because da Raider's traded a low rounder for Schaub they're out but I don't think schaub puts butts in the seats as Manziel will.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Thats not good considering Jaws said his arm is adequate. That's not a word thats going to make Browns fans happy considering the stadium is outdoor and open to Lake Erie.

After Manziels Pro Day, today, Jaws recanted everything bad he had said about Manziel. Jaworski heeped praised Manziel for improving all his mechanic problems. Jaws said Manziel must be very coachable. because he let his personal QB coach...Coach him up!

On one throw Manziel rolled quickly to the left and threw the ball almost 60 yards in the air into the receiver's bread basket. Kurt Warner was amazed at Manziel timing, strength, and accuracy on Long Balls. Manziel threw around 8-10 different kinds of bombs, and everyone of 'em was right on the money. Even the arcs were perfect, allowing the receiver to run underneath it.

Johnny Manziel said afterwards, " If I have to run, I'm gonna slide feet first like Russell Willson, instead of risk getting hit and hurt! I'm not in college anymore! I'm professional. It's time to act like professional. It's all that matters to me"

Hell, I don't know what the Browns are thinking. It's been 50 years since Cleveland won a championship in any sport.

fearsomefour

Legend
I was impressed with JM over all. I have not been through his college career. He appeared to have a lot more velocity on his throws that I anticipated and has nice touch on deep balls.
It was interesting to hear Warner pick apart some smaller flaws in his mechanics.
I still wouldnt use a high pick no him but like him more after watching him this morning.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

ESPN’s Ron Jaworski and Jeff Saturday break down QB Johnny Manziel’s performance at his pro day. (4:32)

Jaworski: I’ve moved Manziel from fourth round to third round
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 27, 2014

manziel2.jpg
Getty Images

NFL quarterback turned ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski raised plenty of eyebrows last month when he said he wouldn’t draft former Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel in the first three rounds. Now Jaworski would draft Manziel in the first three rounds. But just barely.

Jaworski said after seeing Manziel’s Pro Day workout that he now believes Manziel deserves to be a third-round draft pick.

“I certainly would move him up a bit,” Jaworski said. “I moved him from the fourth round to the third round.”

So what has changed? Jaworski believes that, on the evidence of Manziel’s Pro Day, Manziel’s offseason work has significantly improved his form as a passer. Jaworski said Manziel threw the ball more cleanly at his Pro Day today than he did during his college career.

“He was very inconsistent when I studied his tape — he had flawed mechanics,” Jaworski said. “What did we see today? Good mechanics. Improved mechanics.”

Of course, it’s easy to have good mechanics when the only defense you’re facing is a guy holding a broom. If Manziel’s mechanics were as bad against real defenses as Jaworski is making them out to be, a pro day shouldn’t be enough to eliminate those concerns.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Obviously you are entitled to your opinion, but to suggest Bridgewater will fall to round to is crazy in my eyes.
I think people are putting WAY too much stock in pro days and pre draft hype.
Teddy Bridgewater is easily the best QB in the class for me.
I only base that on the need for QB for teams after the first 6 or 7 slots vs. the quality of position players. Too many good players at other positions

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jaworski: I’ve moved Manziel from fourth round to third round
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 27, 2014

manziel2.jpg
Getty Images

NFL quarterback turned ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski raised plenty of eyebrows last month when he said he wouldn’t draft former Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel in the first three rounds. Now Jaworski would draft Manziel in the first three rounds. But just barely.

Jaworski said after seeing Manziel’s Pro Day workout that he now believes Manziel deserves to be a third-round draft pick.

“I certainly would move him up a bit,” Jaworski said. “I moved him from the fourth round to the third round.”

So what has changed? Jaworski believes that, on the evidence of Manziel’s Pro Day, Manziel’s offseason work has significantly improved his form as a passer. Jaworski said Manziel threw the ball more cleanly at his Pro Day today than he did during his college career.

“He was very inconsistent when I studied his tape — he had flawed mechanics,” Jaworski said. “What did we see today? Good mechanics. Improved mechanics.”

Of course, it’s easy to have good mechanics when the only defense you’re facing is a guy holding a broom. If Manziel’s mechanics were as bad against real defenses as Jaworski is making them out to be, a pro day shouldn’t be enough to eliminate those concerns.
Can't back down

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Mayock said if he needed a QB, the QB he would take in the top 10 would be Manziel.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I heard that several team executives said the pro day was a "side show" with loud music and a lot of chest thumping. Which reaffirms part of my view of the guy. I still think he's way over hyped and over rated. Have seen way too many people that know QB's say he has not shown anything near what a QB needs to show from the pocket and passing to be successful in the NFL....like he does not go through his progressions at all, makes bad decisions with the ball, inaccurate passer, immature etc.

No way I would consider drafting the guy in round one. JMHO though.....;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I heard that several team executives said the pro day was a "side show" with loud music and a lot of chest thumping. Which reaffirms part of my view of the guy. I still think he's way over hyped and over rated. Have seen way too many people that know QB's say he has not shown anything near what a QB needs to show from the pocket and passing to be successful in the NFL....like he does not go through his progressions at all, makes bad decisions with the ball, inaccurate passer, immature etc.

No way I would consider drafting the guy in round one. JMHO though.....;)

Yea, I didn't get that. Seems like he made a spectacle of it...would think you'd do the opposite. But hey, do you, Manziel. I guess it worked.

Mayock said if he needed a QB, the QB he would take in the top 10 would be Manziel.

He also claimed Manziel has a stronger arm than Carr. I've come to respect his opinion less and less over the past couple years.

Not to say he's wrong here...but he's wrong about the Carr scenario.