Manziel has a great Pro Day...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I don't give a shit what anyone says. I've seen them all play, and I've seen Manziel play numerous times. He's the best QB in this class.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I don't give a crap what anyone says. I've seen them all play, and I've seen Manziel play numerous times. He's the best QB in this class.
If you needed a QB, and you were an NFL GM, would you draft him in the 1st round? How concerned are you about him being a "personality" risk?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
If you needed a QB, and you were an NFL GM, would you draft him in the 1st round? How concerned are you about him being a "personality" risk?

I'm more concerned with the offense he ran at A&M. A while back a rumor got started that in the meetings at the combine he couldn't read defenses that well. I'd have a conversation with my OC and ask him if he could run a simplified offense until they could open it up a bit more with him. Something like the Seahawks did with Wilson, etc. If not, I would take him, and sit him until he learned the playbook/league. I could give a shit less AT ALL about his "character concerns." In fact that's a major reason I like him so much. He is a fierce competitor and a leader on the field.

To simply answer your question. Yes.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he can't read defenses well, I'd never consider him in the first round. But that hasn't been substantiated beyond an article. Regardless, reading defenses is the most complex part of the game...if you can't do that coming into the NFL, I have no confidence that you'll ever learn. And that makes you like Terrelle Pryor to me.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
If he can't read defenses well, I'd never consider him in the first round. But that hasn't been substantiated beyond an article. Regardless, reading defenses is the most complex part of the game...if you can't do that coming into the NFL, I have no confidence that you'll ever learn. And that makes you like Terrelle Pryor to me.

I agree, and I pretty much said that in the last thread it was discussed in. That's the part that we don't know though. We don't know how much of that is blown out of proportion or true. Regardless, I'm still taking him in the 1st.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I heard that several team executives said the pro day was a "side show" with loud music and a lot of chest thumping. Which reaffirms part of my view of the guy. I still think he's way over hyped and over rated. Have seen way too many people that know QB's say he has not shown anything near what a QB needs to show from the pocket and passing to be successful in the NFL....like he does not go through his progressions at all, makes bad decisions with the ball, inaccurate passer, immature etc.

No way I would consider drafting the guy in round one. JMHO though.....;)

Oh so he made the atmosphere like an NFL stadium complete with noise?
I bolded that line because like you say, all you did was look for reasons to reaffirm your opinion.

I didn't know what to think about the kid before today, I knew he had trouble winning when he wasn't able to improvise,today he showed me he could make the throws a pro OC designs for him amd wasn't expected to improvise.

Easily half the "team executives" who were there aren't in the market for ANY QB who will go as high as Manzeil and were just hoping he stunk today so they could get a bargain in the third or fourth round,then there is the smokescreen element ,so I trust MY EYES, the kid sparkled and if we had KC as our starter ,I'd pull the trigger on him at 2 with no hesitation,unless Bortles was there,JMO Bortles is another Ben Rothlesburger.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Eli Manning has two and I think he sucks.. So yes I have to ask.. Lol
Manning fell off the face of the Earth this year, but before that I'd argue he was the best QB in New Jersey:whistle:
but back to Big Ben ,yeah I think it's good to be compared to him, he plays through shit that would sideline most QB's.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is that a good or bad thing?

A great thing.

Oh so he made the atmosphere like an NFL stadium complete with noise?
I bolded that line because like you say, all you did was look for reasons to reaffirm your opinion.

I didn't know what to think about the kid before today, I knew he had trouble winning when he wasn't able to improvise,today he showed me he could make the throws a pro OC designs for him amd wasn't expected to improvise.

Easily half the "team executives" who were there aren't in the market for ANY QB who will go as high as Manzeil and were just hoping he stunk today so they could get a bargain in the third or fourth round,then there is the smokescreen element ,so I trust MY EYES, the kid sparkled and if we had KC as our starter ,I'd pull the trigger on him at 2 with no hesitation,unless Bortles was there,JMO Bortles is another Ben Rothlesburger.

If this is true, would you take him at #2?
http://alabama.247sports.com/Board/116/-Inside-tidbits-on-Johnny-Manziel--26433782
3). Here's the shocker to some degree ... he asked Manziel what he would do in certain scenarios -- based on what the defense was showing. He said that Manziel answered each time, that he didn't know, couldn't answer the question ... and that he wasn't taught the nuances of the QB position A&M. "They just snapped me the ball and wanted me to make a play," was his general response when asked.

Even assuming it's not, I think the Rams taking Johnny Manziel would be one of the biggest blunders we'd ever make. I'm glad we're not in that situation.

I don't think it would be a blunder because Manziel CAN'T be successful, I think it would be a blunder because this is a really bad place for him. I don't think Schottenheimer would create an offense that effectively utilizes him and if we didn't strengthen our OL, I think he'd struggle...especially with the WR options we have. If we did draft him(in this alternate reality), I'd feel almost obligated to make sure I drafted Mike Evans too.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Is Manziel stupid?

He doesn't appear stupid to me. He seems to be a pretty sharp kid who gets his teammates to follow him.

My guess is that he wants it and is very capable of learning from a good NFL coach.

I agree with Polian, though. If you take Manziel you have to accept that he's gonna get hurt.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Yea, I didn't get that. Seems like he made a spectacle of it...would think you'd do the opposite. But hey, do you, Manziel. I guess it worked.

He also claimed Manziel has a stronger arm than Carr. I've come to respect his opinion less and less over the past couple years.

Not to say he's wrong here...but he's wrong about the Carr scenario.
All I know is that Manziel will be off the board early. All that talk about him not going in the first round is hogwash.

He's better than Locker, Ponder, and Gabbert. I was surprised they went so high, but teams need QBs and they roll the dice on them over and over.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is Manziel stupid?

He doesn't appear stupid to me. He seems to be a pretty sharp kid who gets his teammates to follow him.

My guess is that he wants it and is very capable of learning from a good NFL coach.

I agree with Polian, though. If you take Manziel you have to accept that he's gonna get hurt.

That doesn't work for me. Being smart and being able to translate that to the field are two different things. Blaine Gabbert is plenty intelligent. Guy is even football smart. But when he gets on the field, he can't process things quickly enough. He can't read the defenses in the way he needs to.

It's very difficult to learn and it can't always be learned. Part of it is inherent, some guys are just capable of slowing the game down in their minds. Some guys can't. Ryan Fitzpatrick is brilliant. And yet that guy cannot read the defense like Dan Marino could. And Dan Marino was not the sharpest tool in the shed.

If Manziel can't read defenses at the college level(and frankly, based on some tape, it wouldn't be a complete shock to me...although I didn't think it was THAT bad), I have zero confidence he can do it at the pro level. Working hard and wanting it isn't enough, you have to have that ability.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I have a hard time understanding how any of these guys ever have a bad pro day. I mean, I wasn't anything close to as talented enough to start at a top division I college and I could easily make all these throws to uncovered receivers. I'm not using hyperbole either. I didn't even get to play much on my high school team but I threw the ball around all the time and I could make these throws where there is no read, no rush and no defender. Especially if I had weeks to practice all the throws and work with the same receivers. They always talk about "only" 3 balls hit the ground and stuff like that and I can't help but think that if ANY hit the ground it should be a disappointment.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
That doesn't work for me. Being smart and being able to translate that to the field are two different things. Blaine Gabbert is plenty intelligent. Guy is even football smart. But when he gets on the field, he can't process things quickly enough. He can't read the defenses in the way he needs to.

It's very difficult to learn and it can't always be learned. Part of it is inherent, some guys are just capable of slowing the game down in their minds. Some guys can't. Ryan Fitzpatrick is brilliant. And yet that guy cannot read the defense like Dan Marino could. And Dan Marino was not the sharpest tool in the shed.

If Manziel can't read defenses at the college level(and frankly, based on some tape, it wouldn't be a complete shock to me...although I didn't think it was THAT bad), I have zero confidence he can do it at the pro level. Working hard and wanting it isn't enough, you have to have that ability.

The biggest issue with Gabbert is he's a marshmallow. He has no fire in him, never did. Comparing Gabbert to Maziel is way off. They are 2 completely different beasts.

The reason why I brought up the smarts issue with Manziel is that even though he has fire he needs to be smart enough to learn. Tebow has fire, but he's flat out stupid.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yea, I didn't get that. Seems like he made a spectacle of it...would think you'd do the opposite. But hey, do you, Manziel. I guess it worked.

He also claimed Manziel has a stronger arm than Carr. I've come to respect his opinion less and less over the past couple years.

Not to say he's wrong here...but he's wrong about the Carr scenario.

Yeah, Carr's arm is ridonkulous. I think it was McShay that said that though, and what I heard him say was that he had the strongest arm of the Big 3 (TB, BB and JF). Not sure I agree with that either, but Johnny can certainly sling it. I am on record saying I think he will surprise people at the next level....in a good way.