Making me laugh with the "soft" and "not physical" stuff repeated over and over

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well... when you're competing at the highest levels of something, it applies.

Boxing is a great, great analogy..
You think Mike Tyson wasn't soft when he got smoked by Buster Douglas?
Because he was... and, compared to you and me? He's ALWAYS terrifying and tough!!!

Okay.

I used to pick fights as a kid. At one point I was actually thinking of doing it professionally. I had a record of 108-12 picking fights including lesser fights. I was REALLY good at it. But before I could decide, I realized I was a gambling addict and quit gambling of any kind. I even promised my wife before we got married that I wouldn't gamble so as to not have that potentially ruin my marriage and 32 years in, I've kept up my end. I tripped ONCE... spent $20 on blackjack when my best friend had his bachelor party in Vegas. I was so upset that I confessed the moment I got home. Even being around gambling now makes me nervous to the point of getting the shakes.

Anyway, I told friends that Buster Douglas was the perfect foil for Tyson and 3 weeks out, I called the fight, but I literally had no money and who would lend a college kid money to bet on a 40-1 underdog who was fighting Mike Tyson???

I saw Tyson in an article from when he was 17 and watched every fight of his I could.

Tyson didn't lose because he was soft. Heck, he knocked down Buster Douglas in that fight and nearly won.

But he was with Don King at that point and was exhibiting tons of bad habits. He was isolated in Tokyo. Greg Page, the former top ranked fighter who was by then a fat, out of shape sparring partner clean KO'd Tyson three weeks before the fight. Tyson's camp lied about it because it would mean cancellation if he was KO'd so close to the fight. Couple that with Douglas having a jackhammer jab and the skill and footwork to maintain distance and knowing he'd never win the fight in a phone booth and the makings of the fight was on.

When Buster Douglas' mom or grandmother died a week before the fight, Douglas put it all on the line and fought with no fear.

Tyson wasn't remotely soft. He wasn't as prepared as he should have been, his mental health at that point was complete shit, he missed Cus D'Amato more than words can describe and Don King was cheating Tyson at every turn, setting him up to fail.

Assigning every failure to "soft" is misusing the word.

He was unfocused, unprepared and in some ways maybe unfit...the KO and his mental health were possible disqualifiers... but soft?

No. Soft was Buster Douglas in his next fight when he basically laid down, took the money and ran.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It's one thing to call a scheme "soft". We hear about soft zones and soft coverages, etc.

But to call a grown NFL player... a grown ass man... soft? Anyone lining up to call AD "soft"?

I think I'd rather try to call Jim Everett "Chris"...
It’s also another to say they were soft, as a team.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Okay.

I used to pick fights as a kid. At one point I was actually thinking of doing it professionally. I had a record of 108-12 picking fights including lesser fights. I was REALLY good at it. But before I could decide, I realized I was a gambling addict and quit gambling of any kind. I even promised my wife before we got married that I wouldn't gamble so as to not have that potentially ruin my marriage and 32 years in, I've kept up my end. I tripped ONCE... spent $20 on blackjack when my best friend had his bachelor party in Vegas. I was so upset that I confessed the moment I got home. Even being around gambling now makes me nervous to the point of getting the shakes.

Anyway, I told friends that Buster Douglas was the perfect foil for Tyson and 3 weeks out, I called the fight, but I literally had no money and who would lend a college kid money to bet on a 40-1 underdog who was fighting Mike Tyson???

I saw Tyson in an article from when he was 17 and watched every fight of his I could.

Tyson didn't lose because he was soft. Heck, he knocked down Buster Douglas in that fight and nearly won.

But he was with Don King at that point and was exhibiting tons of bad habits. He was isolated in Tokyo. Greg Page, the former top ranked fighter who was by then a fat, out of shape sparring partner clean KO'd Tyson three weeks before the fight. Tyson's camp lied about it because it would mean cancellation if he was KO'd so close to the fight. Couple that with Douglas having a jackhammer jab and the skill and footwork to maintain distance and knowing he'd never win the fight in a phone booth and the makings of the fight was on.

When Buster Douglas' mom or grandmother died a week before the fight, Douglas put it all on the line and fought with no fear.

Tyson wasn't remotely soft. He wasn't as prepared as he should have been, his mental health at that point was complete shit, he missed Cus D'Amato more than words can describe and Don King was cheating Tyson at every turn, setting him up to fail.

Assigning every failure to "soft" is misusing the word.

He was unfocused, unprepared and in some ways maybe unfit...the KO and his mental health were possible disqualifiers... but soft?

No. Soft was Buster Douglas in his next fight when he basically laid down, took the money and ran.
Tyson was soft for that fight.

You’re missing the parts about his rapid weight drop.

I watched every Tyson fight… lived for those USA Network bouts.

He was soft. Even he said so.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Yes we're soft and every team knows it unfortunately. But this isn't anything new, it's been a common theme in McVay's flashy tenure. Now everyone is catching on though.

1637108649250.png

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I don't really buy the whole 'soft' narrative for any team. They're still football players.

First and foremost, turnovers are killing the Rams. That's the most obvious. Also they lost their #1 RB and #1 WO. After that it's a cocktail of things that can be put in any particular order. All in all it's fixable. Rams very much need Odell to find his footing sooner than later with Woods out.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry but the whole thinking we're calling players soft is just silly. Nobody is calling the players soft. The scheme and how we play most definitely can be over powered and bullied. Call it whatever makes you feel better or sleep better at night. The simple fact is we all know this team can be out done physically by a team willing to come in and in football terms punch us in the mouth and then dominate us. The Los Angeles Rams do not play that kind of football and continually get beat by teams that are capable of playing that way. The Titans and Niners this year. The Niners twice last year Buffalo and Miami. Baltimore the year before that and in the Super Bowl the year before that along with the Bears.

Sorry it offends people but the simple fact is and it's well established that our game style is soft and we can be bullied to losses. McVay hasn't figured out how to beat it yet unfortunately and with his propensity to completely abandon the run it might not change soon.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Does anyone on here think that other teams aren’t calling the Rams soft. Especially the 9ers?

Ellard80

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry but the whole thinking we're calling players soft is just silly. Nobody is calling the players soft. The scheme and how we play most definitely can be over powered and bullied. Call it whatever makes you feel better or sleep better at night. The simple fact is we all know this team can be out done physically by a team willing to come in and in football terms punch us in the mouth and then dominate us. The Los Angeles Rams do not play that kind of football and continually get beat by teams that are capable of playing that way. The Titans and Niners this year. The Niners twice last year Buffalo and Miami. Baltimore the year before that and in the Super Bowl the year before that along with the Bears.

Sorry it offends people but the simple fact is and it's well established that our game style is soft and we can be bullied to losses. McVay hasn't figured out how to beat it yet unfortunately and with his propensity to completely abandon the run it might not change soon.
the scheme at times isnt right.. if you want to call it "soft" i guess... but id say trying to go for big plays down the field isnt neccessarily soft... its risky or maybe unwise...

The defensive scheme is designed to take away the big play... it was totally wrong last game - but im not sure soft is the right term.. but applies more closely in this case.

the narrative the last couple days and in the media is that we dont like physical football games and shy away from that style... which to me is laughable... you cant play and nfl game without it being physical.

some of your examples above are curious... when we lost to the bills it was mostly josh allen passing for 300 yards and 4 TDS...

the bills were one of the best teams in the nfl last year with not much of a defense and no running game - does that make them soft?

I do agree with you - schematically we are susceptible to the run game...

but its laughable that it has anything to do with the players are coaches not wanting to be physical...

if anything we are stubborn - and wont adapt

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
if anything we are stubborn - and wont adapt
Interesting assessment. We basically saw the same plays run over and over again by the 49ers and they still could not stop them. We need a thumper in the middle of that defense. How many times did we hear Earnest Jones name called last night? And Reeder is a JAG. I really don't think the problem is the D-line. Jones is young, but they still don't have any linebackers.

Ellard80

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting assessment. We basically saw the same plays run over and over again by the 49ers and they still could not stop them. We need a thumper in the middle of that defense. How many times did we hear Earnest Jones name called last night? And Reeder is a JAG. I really don't think the problem is the D-line. Jones is young, but they still don't have any linebackers.
possibly... id have to watch it again but from what i remember we didnt do a good job of matching personell packages... we though we could stop them with our base look and we couldnt.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
It's one thing to call a scheme "soft". We hear about soft zones and soft coverages, etc.

But to call a grown NFL player... a grown ass man... soft? Anyone lining up to call AD "soft"?

I think I'd rather try to call Jim Everett "Chris"...

Well, like I said to Ellard, nobody has called players out. Nobody is insisting that Ramsey, Donald et al are pussies and can't hit. But a performance like last night is text-book "soft" as it applies to play in the NFL.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I recall a game when I was a kid where the other team told us where they were running the ball every play and we couldn't stop it. It was humiliating. Game was over in the first quarter, we knew we were beat. NFL these guys are pros and all that, and they're incredibly gifted etc but football is still football, i.e. when you can knock the other motherfucker on the other side of the ball off the ball you have a really good chance to win.

Where McVay is his own worst enemy is he is really good at scheming around that stuff and in fact has won games when he probably shouldn't because he's good at moving the pocket and using misdirection and all that. But at some point at this level you see games won by shit teams every week and typically it has to do with those guys all getting their shit in one sock and winning the LOS. Not always of course, I mean sometimes it's a QB playing over his head or the impact of fumbles or bounces and all that stuff. But more often than not it's grown ass men stepping up that week and whipping the guys on the other side.

Great teams can weather that shit and impose their will. Saying a team is finesse applies to their mentality just as much as how they practice and how they play on the field. McVay rests his starters to keep them healthy and it works because his teams win every season. But maybe there's a point where it's too much resting. Too much foot off the throttle. Maybe the players forget the importance of being able to physically beat that guy opposite him or read their press clippings and all that shit. And maybe they get conditioned physically to not be prepared for the weekly grind of other teams gunning for them.

The Rams are a finesse team. They have not done a good job of showing they can enforce their will on the ground. Their OL has moved guys in the run game and seem capable but it requires an organizational focus to do it. From the top down all these guys aligned in it. And it's reached a point where the one dimensional approach is something teams are attacking. There is only one answer to that, to turn it around. IMO. And it won't be Stafford passing 50 times a game.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Losing a game doesn’t make you soft
Losing a fight doesn’t make you soft

Getting punched in the mouth and asking for another one without responding makes you soft
Letting someone shit in your yard and doing nothing about it makes you soft
Let someone hit on your SO without doing anything makes you soft

The rams the last two weeks have been soft

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
The 9ers play smash mouth, reckless - abandon football.
Every year their key players miss a shit ton of games because the style they play isn't usually sustainable over 17 game season.
They had all of their pieces going on Monday night, they had a good game plan, and prison raped us.

But in the past, I've seen the Rams pile up points and demoralize teams in the 4th quarter as they pull away running the football against gassed defenses.

Which style is best for going the distance?
The Rams or (our starters miss half the season) 49ers?

If the 9ers want to make the game against us their superbowl every year I'm fine with that.
They're a .500 football team at best.

The rams go deep every year with McVay. They take some bad beats along the way, sure.
But in the NFL, especially this year - that is happening all across the league to the best teams.

The Bye is here. Let them get to work. They're not soft. Their asshole is sore right now, sure. But they're not soft.

Go Rams!

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I will put the term soft in perspective for all you doubters. First it is the style of play that both the offensive and defensive coordinators use and second it is Reeder leading the team in tackles and they are all at least five yards down field.