Making me laugh with the "soft" and "not physical" stuff repeated over and over

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
This is the nfl - people hit the hardest and fastest - you have to be straight fucking insane to go out there.

Outside of the kicker everyone else is risking getting possibly killed or seriously injured by the biggest and fastest humans on earth.

Like people calling the defense "soft"

Aaron donald is soft? Jalen Ramsey is soft? Taylor Rapp is soft?

Football games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage most of the time - but to simply say a team is "soft" because the other team won that battle is laughable.
Our issues with the 49ners are style and scheme - they have shit to do with "soft"

If the Rams suddenly ran the ball 75% of the time - they would suddenly not be soft anymore?

not really - its just a different style.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Our issues with the 49ners are style and scheme - they have shit to do with "soft"

Huh? That's exactly the point...Rams O is finesse, not smash-mouth. The D relies more on speed than physicality. How is that not "soft" as we've been using it....?

Ellard80

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Huh? That's exactly the point...Rams O is finesse, not smash-mouth. The D relies more on speed than physicality. How is that not "soft" as we've been using it....?
we have lots of physical players on defense... maybe a few of the most physical in the nfl.

its scheme.

people are using soft in a much broader sense as well.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
You think we're calling the team "soft" compared to us? Regular people?

Dude.

The Rams are soft related to their competition. They are professionals who are soft compared to other professionals.

That's apparent on the field.

Ellard80

Legend
You think we're calling the team "soft" compared to us? Regular people?

Dude.

The Rams are soft related to their competition. They are professionals who are soft compared to other professionals.

That's apparent on the field.
so give me a list of players who are soft compared to the others in the nfl... this should be interesting.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
so give me a list of players who are soft compared to the others in the nfl... this should be interesting.
The team is soft.
Their mindset is soft.
They were absolutely bullied. Bullied.

You don't see it that way, fine. The scoreboards and stat sheets and film say different.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
What a strange thread to start. The Rams were pulverized on both lines last night, and last week as well. Absolutely tenderized. Call them undersized if you want. I dont know or really care what you call them.....

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
In before the lock.

This team gets bullied regularly against more physical opponents. Even going back a few years vs the Bears. The way McVay coaches will get us regular season wins, but it's not sustainable in the playoffs where u sometimes have to win ugly. We aren't capable of grinding it out and punching other teams in the mouth in any of the 3 phases.

Offense relies on the pass too often ...and the D struggles to get off the field in critical moments. Let's not even talk about the Special Teams.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
In before the lock.

This team gets bullied regularly against more physical opponents. Even going back a few years vs the Bears. The way McVay coaches will get us regular season wins, but it's not sustainable in the playoffs where u sometimes have to win ugly. We aren't capable of grinding it out and punching other teams in the mouth in any of the 3 phases.

Offense relies on the pass too often ...and the D struggles to get off the field in critical moments. Let's not even talk about the Special Teams.
The Special Teams disintegration over the last couple of years is amazing. I'm sure part of it is losing Bones, but I wonder what the deeper, team building and mental approach issues are that lead to such a craptacular unit.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Well the last two scores would indicate that the Rams got beat up. If you don't like the word soft, here's another one... Delicate

Ellard80

Legend
see just a bunch of random statments - still waiting to hear what players are actually soft.

Ellard80

Legend
Well the last two scores would indicate that the Rams got beat up. If you don't like the word soft, here's another one... Delicate
you think Jalen Ramsey is delicate?

which players are delicate exactly?

Ellard80

Legend
What a strange thread to start. The Rams were pulverized on both lines last night, and last week as well. Absolutely tenderized. Call them undersized if you want. I dont know or really care what you call them.....
because the term soft is so overplayed - its from the school of TV announcer football.

Ellard80

Legend
The team is soft.
Their mindset is soft.
They were absolutely bullied. Bullied.

You don't see it that way, fine. The scoreboards and stat sheets and film say different.
you avoided my specific question because your overarching concept fails when it gets broken down.

Sure they won the battle at the line of scrimmage.. and have the last couple years

but has shit to do with being "Soft"

The term soft is an insult for a football players that message boards like to throw around without any real specific context.

its because they been watching football on tv their entire lives and hear it from announcers.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
you think Jalen Ramsey is delicate?

which players are delicate exactly?

I haven't heard anyone single out Jalen Ramsey or Aaron Donald for that matter as being soft. And I don't think many of the individual players we have are soft. But the team is soft because it isn't coached in a manner that it can win a brawl when it gets drawn into one.

Unless you are a teenage boy in class who's about to get called up to the front of the class to work out an algebra problem on the blackboard, you can't get hard if you don't try to be hard. And McVay, with a few notable exceptions, doesn't really try.

Ellard80

Legend
I haven't heard anyone single out Jalen Ramsey or Aaron Donald for that matter as being soft. And I don't think many of the individual players we have are soft. But the team is soft because it isn't coached in a manner that it can win a brawl when it gets drawn into one.

Unless you are a teenage boy in class who's about to get called up to the front of the class to work out an algebra problem on the blackboard, you can't get hard if you don't try to be hard. And McVay, with a few notable exceptions, doesn't really try.
because soft is a lacking description - its about scheme and strategy.

I wonder if you spent a Day with McVay off camera if you would think he wasnt "hard"

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
you avoided my specific question because your overarching concept fails when it gets broken down.

Sure they won the battle at the line of scrimmage.. and have the last couple years

but has shit to do with being "Soft"

The term soft is an insult for a football players that message boards like to throw around without any real specific context.

its because they been watching football on tv their entire lives and hear it from announcers.
No, it's because we watched the game and SAW our team getting physically beat up.

I'm not big on announcer stuff, especially after listening to Aikman on the "flying coach" podcast. The amount they have to dumb down their commentary for the broader audience is a compromise the better ones are forced to make and a natural landing spot for the less talented among them.

Soft is what I saw the last two weeks. It applies mentally and physically.

Again, I get it, you don't see it that way, but don't suggest I don't know WHY I'm calling my team soft.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I wonder if you spent a Day with McVay off camera if you would think he wasnt "hard"

I could give two shits about what he's like off-camera. What he is on gameday ... that's a different story. And his only hardness there is his hard-headedness in sticking with what's obviously not working and letting our team dig itself into a deeper and deeper hole.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I could give two shits about what he's like off-camera. What he is on gameday ... that's a different story. And his only hardness there is his hard-headedness in sticking with what's obviously not working and letting our team dig itself into a deeper and deeper hole.
Yeah, I don't get the defensiveness when something is so obvious.

McVay's wide-eyes on the sideline when things go bad is just a bad look... and someone on twitter pointed to the fake FG as a patented McVay panic-move.

Mental toughness is a thing. And everyone at that level is tough.. we're talking *relative* toughness.. and the Rams just ain't right now.