Making me laugh with the "soft" and "not physical" stuff repeated over and over

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
Nope.
One hit in another game doesn’t mean you played tough in the other.

The Rams were soft against the 9ers.
not-sure-if-face-palm-or-head-desk.jpg

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Jeez, we get it. You don't like the word soft. Fine. I'll say they played like pussies the last two games. Better?

Ellard80

Legend
Jeez, we get it. You don't like the word soft. Fine. I'll say they played like pussies the last two games. Better?
its just fucking stupid to use the word soft to describe any man who plays nfl football...

its not hard to understand.

im not really blaming this board for doing it.. its just been passed around by media heads so much its part of the sports vernacular...

Last edited:

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Look, the Rams got punched in the mouth, gave up their cornbread, lost their lunch money, Deeboo stole their bike, and they got bitch slapped. They've been man handled these last 2 games. Every team from here on out will make it a point to muddy up the game so to speak. The Rams aren't soft although they played soft, it's just that they need to step up the physicality and intensity to let teams know we aren't fucking taking shit from anyone.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
its playing a nickel defense against a jumbo formation.

it was bad strategy - were getting around to it slowly here in this thread.

I'd even say its the OPPOSITE of SOFT - believing that your guys are so bad ass that they can stop a run game with minimal resources.
I'd call that strategy retarded. Didn't understand why we didn't stack the box and force Jimmy G string to beat us

Ellard80

Legend
We gave up 3.5 yards per rush.... their leading rusher avg 2.7 ypg...

We dropped passes and made bad decisions at times at QB - we couldn't tackle Deebo - no one has been able to this year though.. is the entire nfl soft?

The real reason we lost the game (on defense) was we allowed them to covert like 6 straight 3rd downs -

The widely held believe that we were "physically dominated" im seeing here is not really what happened.

We were sacked once.... we averaged 5 yards per rush... their d-line didn't physically dominate us..

We got beat bad because we allowed them to convert too many 3rd downs and we made a lot of mistakes on offense.

We did not lose this game because we were soft and they physically dominated us...

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
We gave up 3.5 yards per rush.... their leading rusher avg 2.7 ypg...

We dropped passes and made bad decisions at times at QB - we couldn't tackle Deebo - no one has been able to this year though.. is the entire nfl soft?

The real reason we lost the game (on defense) was we allowed them to covert like 6 straight 3rd downs -

The widely held believe that we were "physically dominated" im seeing here is not really what happened.

We were sacked once.... we averaged 5 yards per rush... their d-line didn't physically dominate us..

We got beat bad because we allowed them to convert too many 3rd downs and we made a lot of mistakes on offense.

We did not lose this game because we were soft and they physically dominated us...
Okay - our game plan was too "soft" on third down.

We should have physically made Deebo and Kittle make plays instead of allowing 5 - 10 yards before even trying to cover them.

That's what I mean by soft.

Again it is just a terminology we use (well at least I use) to describe game plans.

Ellard80

Legend
Okay - our game plan was too "soft" on third down.

We should have physically made Deebo and Kittle make plays instead of allowing 5 - 10 yards before even trying to cover them.

That's what I mean by soft.

Again it is just a terminology we use (well at least I use) to describe game plans.
yeah i mean... "soft" is often used to describe conservative zone coverage...
But the narrative in this thread is also that we were physically dominated - and I'm not sure the film or numbers really show that.

Tano

Legend
yeah i mean... "soft" is often used to describe conservative zone coverage...
But the narrative in this thread is also that we were physically dominated - and I'm not sure the film or numbers really show that.
Well when I say we play soft, it is my terminology for how conservative we played on defense.

So we can agree on that. And I bet that is the majority of other people's meanings as well in this thread and other threads.

Ellard80

Legend
Well when I say we play soft, it is my terminology for how conservative we played on defense.

So we can agree on that. And I bet that is the majority of other people's meanings as well in this thread and other threads.

yes some of it is

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I remember a couple years ago we had a video of whit rolling left against the vikings and when he reached a linebacker he hit him so hard the defender flew backwards several yards in the air and completely took out an oncoming defensive back. One of the sweetest and physically dominating blocks I've ever seen. I watched that play a hundred times and showed it to friends and coworkers.

Hav is one of, and a few weeks back, the top rated right tackle in the run game. He's a frig on cleats. We have 4 tackles on the oline and they have proven to be as physical as the scheme lets them be but when you see these guys backpedaling 70, 80% of the game and our qb scrambling so much, your subconscious is seeing the offense as mostly retreating while playing catch-up the entire game. We know that pass blocking is more finesse, and although it's also more difficult, when we see our offense pass as much as they did against the niners, its easy for some to label them a finesse offense.

Then add the fact that the niners did the complete opposite and just ran the same play over and over, as their oline continuously moved forward for 18 fucking plays. This made the rams pass heavy scheme look even more forced and desperate. As many have said here, they need to make a bigger commitment to the run and stick with it even when they are behind. Take the smaller passes and just be more methodical than splashy. I'm not saying lose the splash, just be better at when you call it, and don't force it like you have been.

Lastly, I want to remind everyone that woods, kupp and higbee are as effective and physical in their blocks and YAC as any 3 skill players on any team. Woods is already sorely missed, but I'm optimistic about OBJ. He knows this is the moment in his career where he can prove just how good he is. This isn't cleveland.

Last edited: