Making me laugh with the "soft" and "not physical" stuff repeated over and over

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No, it's because we watched the game and SAW our team getting physically beat up.

I'm not big on announcer stuff, especially after listening to Aikman on the "flying coach" podcast. The amount they have to dumb down their commentary for the broader audience is a compromise the better ones are forced to make and a natural landing spot for the less talented among them.

Soft is what I saw the last two weeks. It applies mentally and physically.

Again, I get it, you don't see it that way, but don't suggest I don't know WHY I'm calling my team soft.
So if I jump inside and give outside leverage because im so fucking pissed i want to make a play "that's soft"

I want to knock the living shit out of mitchell because he is running all over us so I get juked - thats soft?

So of you are 250 but the other guy is 325 and you are giving it your all--- but he still wins.. you are "soft"

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
its about scheme and strategy

That's precisely what is "soft"...Morris' D scheme is anything but physical. As I said, it relies on speed more than pushing people around. That doesn't mean a Ramsey or others don't hit guys...but the tape don't lie.

They've gotten pushed all over the field the last two weeks. Your eyes don't lie...

Ellard80

Legend
Yeah, I don't get the defensiveness when something is so obvious.

McVay's wide-eyes on the sideline when things go bad is just a bad look... and someone on twitter pointed to the fake FG as a patented McVay panic-move.

Mental toughness is a thing. And everyone at that level is tough.. we're talking *relative* toughness.. and the Rams just ain't right now.
what did you see last night that didnt show mental toughness... on defense especially?

any specifics?

I'm not really being defensive lol... but the term "soft" is so lacking and loved to be used by tough ass football fans.

Ellard80

Legend
That's precisely what is "soft"...Morris' D scheme is anything but physical. As I said, it relies on speed more than pushing people around. That doesn't mean a Ramsey or others don't hit guys...but the tape don't lie.

They've gotten pushed all over the field the last two weeks. Your eyes don't lie...
when you get in a fight.. sometimes the other guy kicks your ass--- doesn't mean you were soft.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
So if I jump inside and give outside leverage because im so fucking pissed i want to make a play "that's soft"

I want to knock the living shit out of mitchell because he is running all over us so I get juked - thats soft?

So of you are 250 but the other guy is 325 and you are giving it your all--- but he still wins.. you are "soft"
So.. if you miss tackles... drop passes.. miss assignments, consistently, against your biggest rival....

You're soft.

If you jump offsides on a critical 3rd down.. you're soft.

You aren't mentally and physically prepared for your biggest rival that have beaten you 4 times in a row..

You're soft.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
when you get in a fight.. sometimes the other guy kicks your ass--- doesn't mean you were soft.

When you get your ass kicked, completely? '

Yes, it does.

Again.. because it's competition and that's what you're measured against.

Ellard80

Legend
So.. if you miss tackles... drop passes.. miss assignments, consistently, against your biggest rival....

You're soft.

If you jump offsides on a critical 3rd down.. you're soft.

You aren't mentally and physically prepared for your biggest rival that have beaten you 4 times in a row..

You're soft.
that's not what soft means though lol.... soft means you are scared, weak, ect..

what you listed were mostly mental errors - that is not how people use soft.. sorry.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
what did you see last night that didnt show mental toughness... on defense especially?

The softness was in Morris and his ridiculous fear of giving up the big play to a team that's not capable of doing it with any consistency, and repeatedly implementing soft coverages and a soft scheme. And when leaders are soft, it trickles down into the ranks and starts showing up as missed assignments, missed tackles, etc., especially when said scheme is obviously not working and there is little to no effort to change it up and let them do what they are better suited to do.

I'm not blaming the players for the softness, I put the responsibility squarely on the coaches, with McVay and Morris being the two most guilty culprits.

If anything, the players should be pissed at the coaches for making them look soft (and Ramsey apparently was).

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
that's not what soft means though lol.... soft means you are scared, weak, ect..

what you listed were mostly mental errors - that is not how people use soft.. sorry.
It actually does.

And, yes, it does apply. Not to *you*, but to plenty of people when looking at sports. Mental toughness is absolutely key.. and mental toughness applies to making mistakes and not being focused.

And, yep.. missing tackles and dropping passes? That's soft.

Ellard80

Legend
When you get your ass kicked, completely? '

Yes, it does.

Again.. because it's competition and that's what you're measured against.
lol bullshit.... such absolute bullshit......

sometimes you get beat but it wasnt because you were scared or weak...

let me give you an hint - in the NFL - everyone is a bad ass.... games are won and loss by scheme, mistakes, one on one match-ups

its a strategy game - its why the jaguars can beat the bills.

everyone is tough.

Ellard80

Legend
The softness was in Morris and his ridiculous fear of giving up the big play to a team that's not capable of doing it with any consistency, and repeatedly implementing soft coverages and a soft scheme. And when leaders are soft, it trickles down into the ranks and starts showing up as missed assignments, missed tackles, etc., especially when said scheme is obviously not working and there is little to no effort to change it up and let them do what they are better suited to do.

I'm not blaming the players for the softness, I put the responsibility squarely on the coaches, with McVay and Morris being the two most guilty culprits.

If anything, the players should be pissed at the coaches for making them look soft (and Ramsey apparently was).
this makes more sense to me.. and i agree - the strategy was wrong.

the personnel match ups were all wrong.

AZRams

Um...

Niners 8-of-14 on 3rd down. Got nearly all of them in the first half when it actually mattered.
Niners with 156 rushing yards.
Defense forced precisely 0 TOs

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

let me give you an hint - in the NFL - everyone is a bad ass.... games are won and loss by scheme, mistakes, one on one match-ups

everyone is tough.
Let me give you a hint... read what I said.

Compared to the guys on the other side of the field, the Rams were soft. Absolutely.

Um... it's every bit as much an EXECUTION game.. that's why the Rams are soft. They couldn't execute at all.

AZRams

everyone is tough.

This is ridiculous...you keep insisting we're calling Donald, Whitworth, Ramsey et al a bunch of pussies.

You're arguing a point that no one made...

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
I don't think ANY OF US are calling the individuals "soft". The style of play and maybe even the mindset is lacking in toughness though.

These guys are elite at what they do. But the coaches have them playing in a way that is NOT helping. We are not the aggressors in a lot of these losses and that needs to change. Good teams have balance and can finesse themselves a win or grind it out if they have to. We only seem capable of winning ONE way and that's not gonna get us very far.

Ellard80

Legend
Let me give you a hint... read what I said.

Compared to the guys on the other side of the field, the Rams were soft. Absolutely.

Um... it's every bit as much an EXECUTION game.. that's why the Rams are soft. They couldn't execute at all.
execution? yeah that was bad... but that has nothing to do with the concept of being soft... soft is being scared and giving up easily and shit... that didn't happen.

Ellard80

Legend
It's a style of play bro.
its playing a nickel defense against a jumbo formation.

it was bad strategy - were getting around to it slowly here in this thread.

I'd even say its the OPPOSITE of SOFT - believing that your guys are so bad ass that they can stop a run game with minimal resources.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
execution? yeah that was bad... but that has nothing to do with the concept of being soft... soft is being scared and giving up easily and shit... that didn't happen.
Again.. your definition.

Soft is not being tough enough physically and mentally to step up to the challenges in front of you.

And the Rams were nowhere near tough enough anywhere.

Ellard80

Legend
Again.. your definition.

Soft is not being tough enough physically and mentally to step up to the challenges in front of you.

And the Rams were nowhere near tough enough anywhere.

That is such a broad and general term for soft....

so basically by your definition here anyone that loses at anything in life is "soft" ;

lol...