LT Poll

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

At LT…

• Roll with AJ Jackson

Votes: 30 31.9%
  • Sign a FA (Tyron Smith?)

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Draft a LT at #19

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Sign AJax, draft a LT on day 2, best man starts.

Votes: 52 55.3%

• Total voters

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The reasoning about Smith back then was that he was a converted Tight End to Left Tackle. I know I was parroting this talking point after the draft, hoping he was uber athletic (ugh.). What a disaster pick...
Don't hate yourself for beliebing.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
bill enjoy GIF
HAHAHAHAHAHA

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
HighDude. We are saying the same thing but I don’t know how to make it any clearer that we are saying the same thing. Let’s just agree to agree .
Got to love the off season.
Sorry bro.
High Five Best Friends GIF by reactionseditor

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
C'mon bro.. please don't mention those two names a month before the draft, in a LT thread.....
My bad. If it matters, I dry heaved writing it.

As to if we failed to match an offer that came in and got a 2nd, I don't see anyone day 1 startable outside of maybe Amegadjie in the 2nd round, thus we would then be forced to use 19 to get someone to start at LT. This would put the defense in the back seat... again. We'd have to hope we pick a guy that can protect our franchise guy from day 1. Way too risky for me. Pray a huge offer doesn't come in and match any reasonable offer that does.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
AJ played really well last year not sure why the hate considering he was a UDFA and is starting at LT and he didn't bother me like Boom did.
Nobody hates AJ (anymore).

(You hate on him, you get a time out) :laugh4:

20hrswk

UDFA
Four of five OL spots looking great.

One spot, LT, still somewhat in flux.

What do you want to see happen?
"There is a vast gulf between Smith and Boom"

I would thank AJ for his time and let him sign elsewhere - take the 2nd round pick as long as I knew I was signing Tyron Smith.

Smith at LT means our OL is the best line in the league. I want Smith protecting Stafford's blind side much more than AJ.

You are going to have to pay AJ next year, correct? 4 years/75mil? Why not sign a superior/HOF LT instead for less?

With the 2nd round pick I should get a player equal or better than AJ.

So we get HOF LT for less than AJ's contract next year? plus a 2nd round player equal or better than AJ.

Most of all our line is dominant and we win the Super Bowl scoring 30+ points a game.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Smith at LT means our OL is the best line in the league. I want Smith protecting Stafford's blind side much more than AJ.
And who is playing LT in Smith’s absence being he’s missed on average 6 games a year for the last 8 seasons ?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And who is playing LT in Smith’s absence being he’s missed on average 6 games a year for the last 8 seasons ?
It's highly unlikely that any team signing Smith solves their LT, or any other spot, position at all. Signing him is one of those tomes you have to sign another LT cause we all should know he will get hurt.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Smith would have made sense before they added a FA at LG. Because then you move AJax to LG and draft an OG round 3 or so as your backup on the interior. If and when Smith falls out then Jackson slides over to fill and the kid OG fills LG.

But the Rams clearly thought bringing in the other Jackson was a stronger line. Or AJax wasn't having it, who knows. Wouldn't be the first time a guy gets a shot at LT and thinks that's his home when the team remains unconvinced.

So at this point I don't see them putting money into Smith. There's a ton of cash in the line now. If they are not happy with the idea of Jackson at LT then they will prioritize it in the draft.

20hrswk

UDFA
I believe Jackson is a free agent next year.

How much do you think we will have to pay him or his replacement? I would think a lot . . . and he's not near Smith's talent.

Tyron Smith's contract, it is said by PFF, would be 7.5mil/yr. I don't think we can sign Jackson for 7.5mil/yr next year?

I'll let AJ go and use the 2nd round pick to replace AJ (and backup Smith this year and next) as long as I know I'm getting Smith to sign with us.

Everything in the NFL is managing risk/odds because it is a violent league and all players get hurt from time to time.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

How much do you think we will have to pay him or his replacement? I would think a lot . . . and he's not near Smith's talent.

Tyron Smith's contract, it is said by PFF, would be 7.5mil/yr. I don't think we can sign Jackson for 7.5mil/yr next year?

I'll let AJ go and use the 2nd round pick to replace AJ (and backup Smith this year and next) as long as I know I'm getting Smith to sign with us.

Everything in the NFL is managing risk/odds because it is a violent league and all players get hurt from time to time.
Nobody is denying the talent level that Smith has played at. I'm not sure why people can't get this simple concept straight.

Also I really don't care what pff says never have. That said you didn't answer what both @Merlin and I said. How much are you going to have to pay the guy to play the half or third of the season that Smith will miss at a minimum. Because history shows the guy hasn't played a full season in 9 years. These 30 plus year old big men won't somehow miraculously stay healthy for a first time. So now add in a 2nd high level LT to the salary cap.

As for AJax worry about that next year. Who knows what we will sign him for this year let alone next. That's assuming
we don't sign him to aulti year deal right now.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Feels like they are going to go young here. Could see them drafting Fautanu here. Parkinson may be used as help on pass plays and Fautanu is a mauler so he fits with what they currently have built.

I dont particularly like him as a T think he could be a great year 1 guard but hard to imagine the Rams spending much more money on the line as they have large investments in the starting 4 as it is.

My preference would be roll with Jackson.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Nothing compared to Tyron Smith's replacement when he gets hurt or benched; he's not stayed healthy for almost a decade, and his talent level is clearly diminished.

I'm not at all saying you don't let A-Jax go next year when he asks for tons of money, as is more than his right. I'm not saying you don't draft his replacement to eventually (and that's the key word: eventually) replace him after this year. Let the replacement learn as a swing tackle, learn from the veterans on the line already there, and after A-Jax leaves - and only after 2025, should we let him leave unless a really bad team gifts us a second-round pick - then you let the youngster replace him for cheap.

If Alt or Fashanu fall into our laps, should we take them with our first-round pick? Absolutely, as you don't get a top-five talent (my list for talent - overall, in no particular order - is MHJ, Nabers, Alt, Fashanu, and Bowers, for clarification.) falling into your lap without taking them, but other than that? Keep A-Jax.

He's cheaper than what Smith will cost (second-round tender costs a little less than five million for one year, if I'm not mistaken, and I don't think I am on this, at least - compared to your 7.5 million a year estimate, which could easily end up more), he's healthier than what Smith has been (one ended year of blood clots compared to so many season ending injuries for Smith over the course of almost a decade), he's almost eight years younger than what Smith is (27 at July compared to 35 at December), and honestly and frankly, he's better than what Smith has been for years.

This is not a Trent Williams situation where the guy's playing well into his thirties; Smith's skills have been diminished with injury and age. You cannot rely on Tyron Smith as your starting tackle, even if you lose A-Jax for a top-ten second-round pick.

20hrswk

UDFA
Nobody is denying the talent level that Smith has played at. I'm not sure why people can't get this simple concept straight.

Also I really don't care what pff says never have. That said you didn't answer what both @Merlin and I said. How much are you going to have to pay the guy to play the half or third of the season that Smith will miss at a minimum. Because history shows the guy hasn't played a full season in 9 years. These 30 plus year old big men won't somehow miraculously stay healthy for a first time. So now add in a 2nd high level LT to the salary cap.

As for AJax worry about that next year. Who knows what we will sign him for this year let alone next. That's assuming
we don't sign him to aulti year deal right now.
"I really don't care what pff says never have"

PFF is pretty reliable. Something tells me the Rams use their service or have one very similar in house.

Did anyone else have Puka Nacua as their #1 rated receiver for 2022 NCAA?
PFF did.

Did anyone else have Kobie Turner ranked as the #1 DT in NCAA in 2022 along with Jalen Carter?
PFF did.

How did the Rams end up with both of these guys? Makes one think . . .

None of us watch every game, every player over and over 10-15 times and rate what we see. PFF does. They know more than we do.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I guess I am in the minority here, but I am looking for my man Jackson to play lights out this season and set himself up for a big payday in 2025.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"I really don't care what pff says never have"

PFF is pretty reliable. Something tells me the Rams use their service or have one very similar in house.

Did anyone else have Puka Nacua as their #1 rated receiver for 2022 NCAA?
PFF did.

Did anyone else have Kobie Turner ranked as the #1 DT in NCAA in 2022 along with Jalen Carter?
PFF did.

How did the Rams end up with both of these guys? Makes one think . . .

None of us watch every game, every player over and over 10-15 times and rate what we see. PFF does. They know more than we do.
Got it you just want to tell me how great pff is and not comment on anything else I said or asked. Does pff tell you how many games he'll be healthy maybe if we sign him and who we should also sign for when he does get hurt?

20hrswk

UDFA
Got it you just want to tell me how great pff is and not comment on anything else I said or asked. Does pff tell you how many games he'll be healthy maybe if we sign him and who we should also sign for when he does get hurt?
I wasn't really thinking about PFF until it got mentioned . . . and you didn't respond to the amazing fact that PFF had . . .

Puka Nacua as their #1 rated receiver for 2022 (NCAA) and . . .

Kobie Turner ranked as the #1 DT (in NCAA in 2022 along with Jalen Carter).

Nobody had Nacua rated high and certainly nobody had both Nacua and Turner rated highly!

If that doesn't cause someone to step back and say . . .

"PFF must have a pretty good rating system", I don't know what would.