Los Angeles Ram's Sean Mcvay Introductory Press Conference.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/13/sean-mcvay-will-call-plays-fit-scheme-to-players/

Sean McVay will call plays, fit scheme to players
Posted by Josh Alper on January 13, 2017

ap_17012783533771-e1484341844928.jpg
AP

The Rams were obviously impressed with Sean McVay’s offensive acumen or they wouldn’t have made him the youngest head coach in the NFL.

He’ll get a chance to show off that acumen as the team’s offensive play caller. McVay confirmed that he’d be the one responsible for calling the plays at a Friday press conference and said that the plays he’ll be calling will be based on a scheme built around the strengths of players like quarterback Jared Goff, running back Todd Gurley and wide receiver Tavon Austin.

“What I think dictates and determines what a great coach is when you talk about forming an offensive identity, it’s about first let’s figure out what our players do best,” McVay said. “What does Jared do best? How can we maximize Todd and Tavon and our linemen up front?”

McVay has not hired an offensive coordinator yet. Whoever does get the job will certainly have a hand in putting together the plan for the offense on a weekly basis, but they won’t be the one telling Goff what to run.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What role does an OC have if he doesn't call the plays? Do the Eagles have an OC?
I'm guessing if the OC doesn't have play calling responsibilities, it won't be a highly sought after coach, which I am okay with.
I'd have thought the OC would be up in the booth giving a a clearer seat of eyes telaying stuff down to Sean on what to attack and stuff like that

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Thanks for posting this press conference. My initial thoughts are McVay's passion and focus, very articulate, he's anxious to get this thing moving. Looks the part of a leader of men. I like Fisher as a person, but the last few years he's looked tired and less than motivated.
I'm excited about our future, looking forward to hearing who he picks for OC and the numerous assistant coaches.
GO RAMS !

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Thanks for posting this press conference. My initial thoughts are McVay's passion and focus, very articulate, he's anxious to get this thing moving. Looks the part of a leader of men. I like Fisher as a person, but the last few years he's looked tired and less than motivated.
I'm excited about our future, looking forward to hearing who he picks for OC and the numerous assistant coaches.
GO RAMS !

yeah I'm especially curious about qb and ol coaches

Bruce2980

Starter
I like that he really seems to have a solid grasp of who actually is a contributor and should be a focus going forward.

I'm super excited to see how he utilizes Tavon Austin going forward. He's been more underutilized than Brett Keisel's razor...
McVay mentioned Tavon by name when he said that he coaches to a players talents. He already has plans, lots of them.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
He looks energetic and passionate. Sounds confident and determined. Hope it translates well.

Very exciting!

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Holy Cow!!! He really does sound like Jon Gruden!!! I mean...like...WOW!!!

Someone ask him to say, "Spider 2 Y Banana" Quick!!!

OK. I never heard him actually speak until just now. I figured the "Sounds like Gruden" comments were regarding his football knowledge, etc. I had no idea he actually sounds like Jon Gruden! It's almost as good as Frank Caliendo's impression.

Scirca

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One more thing, I forgot to mention, I loved what Sean McVay said about delegating to others, which then results in a culture of trust and a we-first attitude. We will rally around Sean McVay and there will be good football displayed.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
One thing I should highlight, I'm glad that Sean Mcvay said that this team will be built on CHARACTER. I've seen Jared Goff take countless, unnecessary hits, and his teammates don't even help him up or stand up for him.

Steve Spagnulo said that same thing with his four pillars schtick. It then became the internet fans' weapon of choice.

Funny how people view things on day 1 vs. a year later.

Not saying Sean McVay is gonna be like Spags or the opposite like Mike Tomlin, just an observation.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
McVay mentioned Tavon by name when he said that he coaches to a players talents. He already has plans, lots of them.

Yeah, he mentioned Kendricks also, ... guess i'll have to adjust my mock again. :LOL:

ViennaMax

Rookie
would have been a good politician - a lot of talking but sometimes not even in the range of answering the question...

don't get me wrong - i like him and im excited

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Also mentioned on a separate interview today, that personell decisions well be a collaboration with Snead/Office/Himself. All player choices will be a Rams choice and not 1 individual.

Relwolf91

Starter
Name
Sean
It is so refreshing to know that he will be calling the plays on offense. I couldn't stand watching the games last year when I saw fisher standing there on the sidelines with his arms crossed showing no emotion the entire game until he wanted to challenge something he shouldn't.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
I am onboard now. I like the kid, I like his fire and his intensity. Eye contact and intensity will go a long way to capturing the locker room.

He shouldn't be calling plays, but what do I know.

Solid hire Rams

Oh and PS. I guess we won't be attracting any talented OCs like Norv Turner. Those guys tend to want to call the plays