LaMarcus Joyner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
I agree that Joyner is very good against the run and has high character. I don't agree that a situational player is worth a second round pick. However Fisher/Williams really value them. Mark Barron has limitations and is a situational player, Akeem Ayers is more of a pass rushing LBer, and Maurice Alexander seems to be much like Barron. No coincidence that Joyner is also a good pass rusher and all three are good against the run.

Maybe Fisher felt that Joyner's skills will put the D over the top. I think that is short sighted considering that NFL coaches will know how to exploit weaknesses on any team.

"Starter" in a base 4-3 might be less of a designation and more of a gray area this year.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
most people are writing off Joyner after just his rookie year and one preseason game? C'mon. These are the people who just didn't like the pick to begin with.

also take into account that he got hurt last year.

before it's all said and done, joyner will be better than E.J. Gaines.

Joyner was a stud in college, and almost a concensus 2nd round pick - had we not drafted him in the 2nd, another team would have.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
This Seminole Fan watched a bunch of Joyner kicking major ass in college. He was a real weapon for the Noles and I expect we'll see the same with the Rams once he gets more playing time/experience. He is my surprise break out player for us this year.

Jimbo Fisher loves him some Joyner. I think Jimbo has more great things to say about Joyner than any other Nole player ever.

I'm expecting big results on Sundays from Joyner this year. The guy is a baller... Wait and see.

Athos

Legend
Gaines is entirely different story than Joyner for the one who brought up his report. One being he's a true CB. The others being criminally underrated by scouts like a few other MU players are.

He was a top CB in both Big 12 and SEC both of which are superior to the ACC. Or rather the big 12 - 2 - I + 2 used to be.

He routinely shut down top WRs and Pinke is on record saying he's one of if not too D players he's ever coached.

Anyway. Joyner still has too many limits for me. If he can't play FS I'm not sure he has a position.

Athos

Legend
before it's all said and done, joyner will be better than E.J. Gaines.

Joyner was a stud in college, and almost a concensus 2nd round pick - had we not drafted him in the 2nd, another team would have.

The only way he'll be better than Gaines is if Gaines never plays again or his foot prevents him from ever playing 100% again.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
With respect to Joyner, I'm highly skeptical of anyone who feels they have this great bead on where his career is going to go because he's played one season. JMO.
I agree, and it's 10 games to be exact.
Too early in his "career" and TC to declare anything other than he's struggled at times. He's got a good head on his shoulders and has football intelligence and showed good instincts in college. His size could be an issue i don't deny that, but other undersized DB's have had success... Darrell Green(old school), Brandon Boykin, Brent Grimes, Johnathan Joseph.

I'm in the wait and see camp.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
Brandon Boykin

Really interesting potential comparison, IMO.

People are going to say, "Brandon Boykin isn't worth a second round pick." And maybe they're right, I dunno, I tend to be less of a "draft value chart guy" when evaluating what a player than what he brings to the table TODAY.

And Brandon Boykin helps his teams win ballgames. Providing great coverage in the slot is going to be essential with as many 3 WR looks as teams toss these days.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Oh and just to clarify the amount of patience i'm willing to put out there on a young guy who may or may not have been overdrafted...if Tavon Austin doesn't have an impact year at WR this season, then he's no longer in my wait and see camp. He'll just be a pretty good punt returner and a first rd miss.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
Yeah, I always thought three years in the league was about a fair time frame for me to start getting a feel for a guy's career.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only way he'll be better than Gaines is if Gaines never plays again or his foot prevents him from ever playing 100% again.

Are you a Missouri fan?

Just asking because it seems like people over value Gaines...and I'm wondering if it's people that liked him in college. He was a steal.

But he had one good year....and Joyner didn't play much. There are thousands of examples of guys who had a good rookie year but never developed further. There are also thousands of examples of guys that had subpar rookie years but developed into stars.

Joyner IS more talented than EJ. There is a reason one was drafted in the 2nd round, and one was drafted in the 6th. It doesn't mean Joyner will for sure be better, but it's a good indication of what NFL talent evaluators (not just the Rams - everyone in the NFL) think of these players.

I wouldn't have started Gaines over TruJo, even if he was healthy. He likely would have started over Joyner in the slot, but IMO that wouldn't have lasted long.

And none of that is a knock on Gaines - I think we have a DEEP secondary.

Memphis Ram

Legend
When did calling a guy "a lesser version of Tye Hill" = size limitations?

OK. That covers me. But, as to the poster who mentioned Tye Hill, is it also possible that the statement, "He's reminding me of an even lesser version of Tye Hill" (taken within the context of the rest of his post) may not mean that said poster has already determined the kid's entire career?

Could it also simply be a measure as to how that player looks to said poster right now?;)

Last edited:

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
OK. That covers me. But, as to the poster who mentioned Tye Hill, is it also possible that the statement, "He's reminding me of an even lesser version of Tye Hill" (taken within the context of the rest of his post) may not mean that said poster has already determined the kid's entire career? Could it also simply be a measure as to how that players looks to said poster right now?;)

Could be. If I put words in his mouth, that's my fault.

Not the way it came across to me though.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I agree that Joyner is very good against the run and has high character. I don't agree that a situational player is worth a second round pick. However Fisher/Williams really value them. Mark Barron has limitations and is a situational player, Akeem Ayers is more of a pass rushing LBer, and Maurice Alexander seems to be much like Barron. No coincidence that Joyner is also a good pass rusher and all three are good against the run.

Maybe Fisher felt that Joyner's skills will put the D over the top. I think that is short sighted considering that NFL coaches will know how to exploit weaknesses on any team.

First of all.... I love Gaines also.....but to be fair every team passed over him til the 6th round....... What a steal!!!!!# I was just wondering what his draft grade was? What were considered his shortcomings? Cause I think they got it wrong on Gaines. .....so isn't it possible that they got it wrong on Joyner also?

Go Rams.............. ;)

Memphis Ram

Legend
Ive always believed this to be true.....It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog... ;)

Go Rams.......... ;)

Sounds good. But, that dog can still have limitations.

For example. I'd never bet that a quality welterweight with a HUGE heart over a quality heavyweight minus God Almighthy backing the smaller party.:cool:

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Well at least he can get more practice and preseason games in at CB and its not a mid season disaster. We know the kids quick, athletic, hard working and has the ability to hit hard. So if he can get the coverage down he should be fine.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Sounds good. But, that dog can still have limitations.

For example. I'd never bet that a quality welterweight with a HUGE heart over a quality heavyweight minus God Almighthy backing the smaller party.:cool:

Soooooo....our year saying bigger and faster is better? Instinct and heart are not as important? Lol interesting.

Go Rams................... ;)

Memphis Ram

Legend
Brandon Boykin is almost 1 1/2 inches taller. Darrell Green was also slightly taller and a much better and most certainly much faster player. Finally, even Brett Grimes and Jonathan Joseph are 2 to 3 inches taller than the 5'8" Joyner.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Soooooo....our year saying bigger and faster is better? Instinct and heart are not as important? Lol interesting.

Go Rams................... ;)

Yes and No. While I agree with the Bill Parcells school of thought that bigger AND faster are better in the NFL, I don't for one instant believe that instinct and heart are not as important. That's rich. LOL. Nice try.:rolleyes:

Give me the bigger, faster, player with good instincts and heart over the smaller, slower, player with good instincts and heart all day long and twice on Game Days.

Yes. Bigger guys can have heart and instincts, too.

Last edited: