LaMarcus Joyner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
When was it that we as a football loving public decide that we knew all there was to know about a player after his rookie year?

It seems to me like just a couple of years ago we used to acknowledge that rookies be rookies. Now it seems like we're all in some big darned hurry to write a book on a guy when he's 23 years old.
Sometimes that's all it takes. The Rams knew Jason Smith was a mistake after his first practice. I'm not saying Joyner is Smith but he sure isn't helping his cause. I don't think most are completely closing the book on him but he hasn't done anything to inspire faith that things will get better and his physical limitations don't help.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
Sometimes that's all it takes. The Rams knew Jason Smith was a mistake after his first practice. I'm not saying Joyner is Smith but he sure isn't helping his cause. I don't think most are completely closing the book on him but he hasn't done anything to inspire faith that things will get better and his physical limitations don't help.

I disagree, I mean it is easy in hindsight to say the things we knew about Jason Smith now that we understand the full width and breadth of his career.

I don't know anyone I've ever read in football who I had confidence in who would proclaim they understood the shape a guy's career would take after his rookie year with a 100% accuracy.

I think this is a relatively new phenomenon to the Internet/social media age, at least with the popularity it has, that everybody needs to be the first to express an opinion, accuracy of that opinion be darned.

With respect to Joyner, I'm highly skeptical of anyone who feels they have this great bead on where his career is going to go because he's played one season. JMO.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

I'm still confused by that. How the heck does that happen when we have scouts watching him all year, see him at the senior bowl, have workouts with him, then the combine, a pro day, more work-outs, interviews etc. How did he fool everyone all that time and then the first practice we have we see the real J-Smooth?

I'm in the wait and see boat on Joyner. Yes he's a little small - it doesn't affect his physicality - he loves tackling bigger guys. But it might affect his ball position and ability to make plays on the ball in the slot, and he has struggled at times in man coverage. But its early days for him.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
The dude can develope into a major gamer. He didn't even get the opportunity to play a full season yet so it's a bit drastic to start shoving him down the depth chart. Go back and take a look at some of his stats from last year, he had a couple pass break ups, a sack and a couple of run stuffs in. That's in 10 games. As an undersized 'overdrafted' slot corner.

The overdrafted gripe is such a joke too. How many were sounding the alarm when they read that Havenstein and Brown were 'overdrafted' by maybe 2 or 3 rounds. I'd say the general consensus through camp is they're looking every bit worth their draft position, and maybe better. We can admit that draftniks can and do miss the mark on occasion.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
When was it that we as a football loving public decide that we knew all there was to know about a player after his rookie year?

It seems to me like just a couple of years ago we used to acknowledge that rookies be rookies. Now it seems like we're all in some big darned hurry to write a book on a guy when he's 23 years old.

I disagree. There have been many prospects over the years and we have watched them all. After a while you get a sense of who is who. Many of us evaluate these players while they are in college and have an idea of how we think they will fit in the pros.

Could Joyner prove us wrong? Sure. But up until now he is proving us right.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
I disagree. There have been many prospects over the years and we have watched them all. After a while you get a sense of who is who. Many of us evaluate these players while they are in college and have an idea of how we think they will fit in the pros.

Could Joyner prove us wrong? Sure. But up until now he is proving us right.

It seems to me that there are many more people who write more assertively that these types of opinions are correct rather than acknowledging that a rookie year hasn't historically told us how a player's career takes shape.

I could be wrong about that. But that's how it seems to me.

Memphis Ram

Legend

What does the kid's rookie season have to do with his size limitations? Should we be expecting a growth spurt past his rookie season?

Last edited:

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
What does the kid's rookie season have to do with his size limitations? Should we be expecting a growth spurt pass his rookie season?

Ive always believed this to be true.....It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog... ;)

Go Rams.......... ;)

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Joyner has to improve his technique to be an asset at CB. He gets out of position and doesn't have the overwhelming physical skills to reestablish. He's better against the bigger, slower WR's. A guy with TA's like quickness can turn him inside out.
He was the 5th CB before Gaines fell to the side.
FS might be his future.

V3

Hall of Fame
I disagree, I mean it is easy in hindsight to say the things we knew about Jason Smith now that we understand the full width and breadth of his career.

I don't know anyone I've ever read in football who I had confidence in who would proclaim they understood the shape a guy's career would take after his rookie year with a 100% accuracy.

I think this is a relatively new phenomenon to the Internet/social media age, at least with the popularity it has, that everybody needs to be the first to express an opinion, accuracy of that opinion be darned.

With respect to Joyner, I'm highly skeptical of anyone who feels they have this great bead on where his career is going to go because he's played one season. JMO.
It's never going to be with 100% certainty but there are certain players you can just tell with a much higher degree of certainty that they aren't going to pan out. Smith was a prime example. Joyner isn't as clear cut as Smith but there are some serious flags going up to go alone with what many already saw from him when he was drafted.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
It's never going to be with 100% certainty but there are certain players you can just tell with a much higher degree of certainty that they aren't going to pan out. Smith was a prime example. Joyner isn't as clear cut as Smith but there are some serious flags going up to go alone with what many already saw from him when he was drafted.

I guess you were just born with a type of vision I don't have.

I always want to see more after a guy's rookie year. My assumption is always that if they are thrown into a role where they have to log significant snaps that they're drinking from a fire hose and that's going to effect how they look out there.

With Joyner, yes, he's never going to get bigger. But I do tend to assume he's going to get better in coverage the more experience he gets. Maybe that assumption will be proven wrong, but given what I've seen from this league it seems to me more likely to me that players get better after their rookie year than plateauing.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'm still confused by that. How the heck does that happen when we have scouts watching him all year, see him at the senior bowl, have workouts with him, then the combine, a pro day, more work-outs, interviews etc. How did he fool everyone all that time and then the first practice we have we see the real J-Smooth?

I'm in the wait and see boat on Joyner. Yes he's a little small - it doesn't affect his physicality - he loves tackling bigger guys. But it might affect his ball position and ability to make plays on the ball in the slot, and he has struggled at times in man coverage. But its early days for him.
I think with Smith, it was a combination of having poor scouts and not being able to run him through the paces. Private workouts, the combine, etc don't give people a clear picture of what a player can really do both physically and mentally. You don't fully know that until you can take the leash off in your own practice and that can only happen once you've drafted him and he's your own player. They can't do much with the players in private workouts, combine, etc. The Senior Bowl can be helpful but it's still too limited. There's also the fact that certain "deciders" get influenced by certain aspects like team needs and combine numbers which can really mess up a pick. That year, I think it was decided that the Rams HAD to take an OT and it was between Monroe and Smith and since Monroe has rumors about an injury it swayed the Rams to take Smith instead. They may have also seen good combine numbers to further justify the pick over Monroe.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
We always point out his flaws....but how tight was coverage and hard tackle on the first reception he gave up. And the play immediately before the touchdown he gave up. It was he who stuck and dropped the rb before he could reach the goal line. Stopping the running back in his tracks. Not bad for a little guy. The touchdown was given up as an outside corner and I felt was a technique thing...not a physical limitations thing. There are a lot of nickel backs that cannot play outside in the Nfl. So I'm willing to give him time before I rule him a bust. The league history is full of great players who had physical ( size limitations ). ..... he will be just fine.... ;)

Go Rams........... ;)

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I tend to think they overdrafted Joyner a bit--not by much, but I think Snisher were a bit jealous of the Honey Badger pick by the Cards, & were hoping Joyner would fit that role for us. But I do think he's got loads of talent, & hits like a truck--he could still be a great contributor for us, as long as GW makes sure he's not overmatched in height / speed from game to game.

V3

Hall of Fame

I always want to see more after a guy's rookie year. My assumption is always that if they are thrown into a role where they have to log significant snaps that they're drinking from a fire hose and that's going to effect how they look out there.

With Joyner, yes, he's never going to get bigger. But I do tend to assume he's going to get better in coverage the more experience he gets. Maybe that assumption will be proven wrong, but given what I've seen from this league it seems to me more likely to me that players get better after their rookie year than plateauing.
I will always give players at least two to three years before making a final decision. I'll admit I haven't liked what I've seen from him and never liked the pick to begin with, but that doesn't mean I have totally written him off to get better to the point that I'd consider him a quality starter. I just have the odds of that happening lower than where I had them last year. I don't expect perfection from rookies but I do look for certain traits, abilities, improvements over the season, etc. I saw limited improvements from him as the season went on and limitations dues to his size, speed, quickness, etc. The good thing that I noticed from his was his very good tackling ability when he's moving forward, especially when he was sent towards the LOS. I think his biggest contribution to this team could be in blitzing or run D. IMO, that usually tends to be more for safeties, though, so I think he would be better suited playing at FS but I don't see that happening.

I could always be way off, though.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It seems to me that there are many more people who write more assertively that these types of opinions are correct rather than acknowledging that a rookie year hasn't historically told us how a player's career takes shape.

I could be wrong about that. But that's how it seems to me.

Lets put it into perspective. Joyner is not a 6th round pick. He is a 2nd round pick and in general 2nd rounders are instant contributors. They may not be superstars all the time but the idea is that they can come in and play at a high level or start. Joyner is not battling for the starting corner job, or for the starting safety job for that matter. He is battling for the slot corner position, by default. If Gaines doesn't injure his foot Joyner isn't even in the conversation as the slot. He becomes the 4th or 5th corner. I actually think Roberson is ahead of him on the outside. So he is the backup slot corner. The intention was that he would be the main slot corner when drafted.

He has a bit of proving to do and so far he is not making doubters look bad.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Well, all rookies don't get better. Some just prove that the NFL is too much for their abilities. Many don't cut it. Even second rounders.