LaMarcus Joyner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramfreak

UDFA
Name
Ramfreak
We're in BIG trouble if he's our slot DB. I watched the Raiders game again and he's just too small and not fast enough. Apparently in Oxnard he was manhandled. He's reminding me of an even lesser version of Tye Hill. We need a replacement or this D will get picked apart by the slot WR.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Everybody - slow the fuck down.
Guy's a player.

fearsomefour

Legend
I for one am looking forward to seeing if Williams mixes and matches coverages with blitz packages week to week. So bringing pressure from a specific side....to get the QB to look to his "go to" receiver and running a zone except slotting that go to guy. Ogletree and McDonald for example slotting a TE to try and get a TO. Versus more experienced QBs this may not work but vs. younger or QBs not at skilled reading this could be mixed in. Kap to Boldin comes to mind.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
There was a play early in the first quarter where Kembrell Thompkins beat him. Lamarcus had great, tight coverage, and tackled him right away. A taller receiver exploiting his size. I however did notice Lamarcus get up very upset with himself and then get even more upset when he saw that he gave up a first down.

I really think he is going to continue to improve. He's like a lot of players on our team. There will be some bad (no one is perfect) but with those players bad they all pack some kind of punch (ie hard hitter, int for td, sack fumble)

jjab360

Legend
Lot of hate aimed at Joyner lately, one of the more active preseason overreactions I've seen recently.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
Why is Joyner playing corner? I thought he was a safety who lays the wood on people

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I've felt since day one that he is more of a center fielder, wood bringing safety. Not a man cover guy at all. It was a bad choice for us so high.

Alan

Legend
El Juggernauto looking at it from a different direction:
I've felt since day one that he is more of a center fielder, wood bringing safety. Not a man cover guy at all. It was a bad choice for us so high.
Was it a bad choice to draft him there or was it a bad decision not to make him a FS? I'd say the latter considering what was left at the DB positions at that time of the draft. As he's likely to start I'm glad we got him even if he's, as we've both said, being misused.

Last edited:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I don't know it it's a bad choice, he might be a darn good FS. I agree he's more of a safety than a DB. I hope we can get him up to speed because at the very least even if he's not our nickleback, he'll be our dimeback.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Joyner will do fine as the nickel slot corner.

Go Rams...................... ;)

Ramfreak

UDFA
Name
Ramfreak
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought he was drafted to come in as a safety as well. Our safeties however are much better than Joyner. McLeod, TJ, Barron are big hitters that won't be overwhelmed at the line of scrimmage. It's not an overreaction when you're talking about a guy who is too small. It is what it is. It seemed like Carr and Ponder went after him rather easily.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Undersized DB with shaky ball skills. I really hope he proves me wrong as I didn't like the choice from day one. Especially not so high in the draft. His size alone makes him a match up liability. He can be in good position and still get beat simply because of it.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
The slot DB is and will be our most pivotal position on the field. Smart teams will go to short crossing routes, sweeps, short screens, etc. to counter the pressure our four man front and blitzes can create. We really need someone solid in the slot - phuckin Liz-Frank, someone needs to throw that hoe in a trunk!:cautious:

Athos

Legend
Yea.. It isn't overreacting when the player in question is just too small. It isn't so much about talent, though it somewhat is.

He's just going to be continually abused by bigger slot WRs, which the NFL has moved to a bit lately. TEs in the slot will destroy him in particular. He's tiny out there and won't be breaking up passes. And he's not athletic enough to make up for it.

You try him at FS.

I wasn't a fan of drafting him so high, but it is what it is now. Hope GW realizes soon how to put him in a position for relative success.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I've said all along. If that is the best player available then they need to reevaluate how they evaluate players. They should have taken an Olinemen like Weston Richburg. That is who I hoped they would take. Start addressing the line problems. They could have traded back and landed Garapolo. There were a bunch of good WRs taken in that round too.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
When was it that we as a football loving public decide that we knew all there was to know about a player after his rookie year?

It seems to me like just a couple of years ago we used to acknowledge that rookies be rookies. Now it seems like we're all in some big darned hurry to write a book on a guy when he's 23 years old.