Kyle Shanahan coming in for a visit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
While I don't always agree with jrry32 all the time, I think he's very on point when he says that the difference between the play-calling acumen between Chud, Shanahan and Turner isn't that large. Now, maybe one of their systems may be more advantageous to our current talent than another and I'd argue that Turner has shown consistent high ability over a greater length of time than both but they're all very talented.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Schottenheimers offense has been known as a very difficult one to learn. Maybe a new OC can teach his new system more efficiently or just have an easier system to understand.

I do not think that Saffold, Barksdale and Robinson are best suited for zone blocking scheme though.
Does a ZB scheme require smaller, quicker more athletic linemen?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
While I don't always agree with jrry32 all the time, I think he's very on point when he says that the difference between the play-calling acumen between Chud, Shanahan and Turner isn't that large. Now, maybe one of their systems may be more advantageous to our current talent than another and I'd argue that Turner has shown consistent high ability over a greater length of time than both but they're all very talented.

I don't disagree, however, I still would rank them:
  1. Turner
  2. Chudzinski
  3. Shanahan

ram007

Starter
Kyle Shanahan gets my vote. Questions is does Rams Offensive personnel match his zone blocking scheme? Does any one have info on this?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But isn't he part of reason they drafted him. Didn't he text KS and tell him to pick him?

Nope. Texted the QB Coach that got fired. Reports are that KS didn't want Manziel...although no idea if they're true or not.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't disagree, however, I still would rank them:
  1. Turner
  2. Chudzinski
  3. Shanahan

I think Chud and Shanny Jr. are on the same level. Similar strengths and weaknesses.

Does a ZB scheme require smaller, quicker more athletic linemen?

No. Not necessarily. Just requires guys with lateral agility that can cut.

Barksdale, I'm not sure he fits. But the other two both have the feet, imo, to handle a ZBS.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Usually. Maybe Grob is agile enough to pull it off but I don't think The other two are. Barksdale didn't fit it in Oakland.

Saffold was destroying people while pulling last year. He's a former LT. He has the feet to play in a ZBS at OG. Greg definitely has the athleticism to pull it off.

But I do agree, I'm not sure Barks has the athleticism on the edge. But we'll cross that bridge if we get to it. :)

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Shanahan is a perfect fit for Bradford. Always felt Bradford would do best in a Shanahan scheme. I'm not sure Robinson is such a great fit for a ZBS.

The thing I worry most about an offensive change over is Quick. It took him 3 years to learn Schottenhiemer's offense. Can he quickly learn a new one? He was our best player when healthy. I'm hoping he comes back as strong in 2015.

I don't think it took him 3 years to learn Schotty's offense. I think it took him 3 years to play WR at the NFL level.

Probably pretty low on our list of concerns at this point - as his "lights came on" last season.

I've gone from a major skeptic on him to someone that genuinely thinks he belongs on our roster.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
Kyle Shanahan gets my vote. Questions is does Rams Offensive personnel match his zone blocking scheme? Does any one have info on this?

For you and those concerned about Kyle Shanahan's scheme and our personnel, here's a quote from the man himself:

"When you talk about scheme, I think scheme is a little bit overrated. Call the plays that work for your players."

And here's another quote that's relevant to Bradford and whether or not our "franchise quarterback's" injury and QB situation will discourage him from coming here:

"Anytime a guy tears a knee, it’s like a freak accident to me. You always want to know if guys can take a beating throughout a season. When you hurt your knee on a slide, I don’t look at that like a guy can’t say healthy.”

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also, I'm not sure if I mentioned this but Barrett Jones is a great fit for Shanahan's system if he brought it with him and played in a ZBS in college.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Someone sell me on WHY this should be the guy.
Personally, I'm more impressed with Greg Roman's body of work.

Neither candidate excites me though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Someone sell me on WHY this should be the guy.
Personally, I'm more impressed with Greg Roman's body of work.

Neither candidate excites me though.

The knowledgeable Redskins fans and Browns fans I know haven't trashed the guy. That speaks volumes to me.
(Plus, I've been impressed with him when I've seen his offenses)

That's the best I can do.

iced

Fair enough. Those are definitely potential issues. But I feel like any good OC will have longevity issues...unless we hire a guy who has run out of HC chances like Norv Turner.
n
right - i said the same thing in a previous post...but i think its a little different when you deal with a recent history of instability - and lets face it, its not like he left the job for a promotion.

FRO

Legend
n
right - i said the same thing in a previous post...but i think its a little different when you deal with a recent history of instability - and lets face it, its not like he left the job for a promotion.
That being said, Cleveland is a mess. A high up in the front office texting down plays they want ran. Forcing Manziel to be drafted, then forcing him on the field. They are a complete mess and it's wise to avoid them at all cost. They are a very dysfunctional.

FRO

Legend
Is Mike Martz even a remote possibility and if so where would you rate him on you list?
No. Fisher wants a conservative run first coach. He believe a strong run game and great defense is how you win. I don't disagree. Greg Williams didn't get along with Al Saunders in Washington because he believed the offense didn't control time of possession, either scoring to fast or getting off the field too fast, leaving his defense out to dry. Martz is similar. I think Martz is a brilliant offensive mind who would get a lot out of Bradford and the receivers. His philosophy isn't fit with Fisher though.