Kyle Shanahan coming in for a visit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Give me an example of a guy who has declined HC roles to stay as a coordinator. I can't think of anybody off the top of my head.
Off the top of my head I could not give a name but there are guys like Kevin Gilbride and Norm Chow who come to mind.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Gilbride was a HC and Chow went on to be a HC in college.
OK none of that stops my opinion or what I would ask for if it was me in the process. Obviously I have no input or bearing on the Rams but that is what I would want. A team to be a team

FRO

Legend
OK none of that stops my opinion or what I would ask for if it was me in the process. Obviously I have no input or bearing on the Rams but that is what I would want. A team to be a team
I want that as well, I'm not sure if that candidate exists though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How do you feel Robinson and Saffold will fair in a ZBS?

They'd be fine. Auburn ran some zone in college. Robinson fits either scheme. Saffold fits either scheme as well. Plenty of athleticism.

FRO

Legend
They'd be fine. Auburn ran some zone in college. Robinson fits either scheme. Saffold fits either scheme as well. Plenty of athleticism.
That's my only holdup with Shanahan. In Washington they built one of the lightest lines in the league. Robinson and Saffold are big dudes. We haven't had a coordinator take advantage of Bradford's roll out ability since his rookie year. Maybe after two knee surgeries he won't be as good on the move. Shanahan is perfect for him. Our RBs would do well in that run scheme. I hope we can get him.

stano00

UDFA
Someone earlier asked about Fisher & the ZBS. I think Fishers favorite OC was the late Mike Heimerdinger who was part of the Shanahan coaching tree from Denver. Heimerdinger was with Fish in Tenn for quite a few years.
Enduring Shotty has lowered my happiness threshold, so I'd be very happy with either Roman or Shanahan.

iced

Why?

Three top-5 offenses and four top-10 offenses in his six year as an OC. Never finished below 18th.

With Schotty, we got no tangible results. Just excuses and explanations as to why the O wasn't getting done...which is pretty much his whole career.

Here we have a guy with real results, with multiple teams. This would be a phenomenal hire.

because I don't truly know what to think of him... he's had some successful offenses at times, but is he a good match with our personnel or is there a better option?

Is his attitude going to be a problem? He's had some short stints a couple times in a row now....

Most importantly, how long would we be looking at longevity - would he jump at the first chance to be a HC or rejoin his dad in a year? Thus, making the offense learning a new offense? I understand you can apply this idea to most promising OC's - but his recent record of instability makes me a little questionable.... Of course I don't have the benefit of asking him things as a fan nor do I think they'd be publicly answered, hence being indifferent... we saw how Fisher felt about young guys that didn't mesh well (Blake Williams)

Memphis Ram

Legend
Watch the Baltimore offense today. It's the Shanahan offense. A very good offense that has been very successful.

And take note of their OLine. Most would probably be mistaken and say that the 6-5, 335 Kelechi Osemele would be poor fit, too.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Most teams don't just run power or zone. There does seem to be a tendency towards one or the other. We've been mostly power but I'm sure I could go back to the tape and find some zone plays. I don't want to over-play what the change between power and zone would be but I think it should be considered. Robinson moves ridiculously well so I can see how he'd be fine in either sxs. I think you could make an argument that Saffold moves well but I'm not sure how good he is at tracking targets on the moved. I'd love to hear an argument for Barksdale in the zone scheme, I don't think he's got the skills.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most teams don't just run power or zone. There does seem to be a tendency towards one or the other. We've been mostly power but I'm sure I could go back to the tape and find some zone plays. I don't want to over-play what the change between power and zone would be but I think it should be considered. Robinson moves ridiculously well so I can see how he'd be fine in either sxs. I think you could make an argument that Saffold moves well but I'm not sure how good he is at tracking targets on the moved. I'd love to hear an argument for Barksdale in the zone scheme, I don't think he's got the skills.

If we go to a zone heavy scheme, I think Barksdale will be moving on.

My guess would be that we'd look into Derek Newton or Ryan Harris as a replacement in FA and draft an OT.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Gotta love the boot-legs from this offense (in the Baltimore game). Bread and butter play. I know people complained about Schumer and Bradfords low YPA his first year but he did a great job on boots that year - deadly accurate on the move.

I wonder if it's an easier offense for a rookie to run...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta love the boot-legs from this offense (in the Baltimore game). Bread and butter play. I know people complained about Schumer and Bradfords low YPA his first year but he did a great job on boots that year - deadly accurate on the move.

Yep. Plus Bradford and Flacco have more in common than people would expect.

FRO

Legend

Totally agree.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Just to digress about Bradford for one second: I'm a big believer that you can ruin a good QB in the NFL. Bradford had so many things going for him when he came into the NFL - and certainly had some things to learn in terms of feeling the rush, reading defenses, etc... But I think if he had come to a different team or the Rams were in a different state (Shumer had stayed, we had gotten a number 1 receiver) we could actually be talking about Bradford as a top 10 QB. Not anymore. I think we kinda "soft" ruined him. Not like, destroyed, but even if he comes back I don't see him being better than just above average. Though, I'll take that considering our options at QB right now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just to digress about Bradford for one second: I'm a big believer that you can ruin a good QB in the NFL. Bradford had so many things going for him when he came into the NFL - and certainly had some things to learn in terms of feeling the rush, reading defenses, etc... But I think if he had come to a different team or the Rams were in a different state (Shumer had stayed, we had gotten a number 1 receiver) we could actually be talking about Bradford as a top 10 QB. Not anymore. I think we kinda "soft" ruined him. Not like, destroyed, but even if he comes back I don't see him being better than just above average. Though, I'll take that considering our options at QB right now.

I don't think he's ruined. But we didn't help the guy out. But I disagree about the #1 WR. The most important thing we could have done for Sam would have been fixing the OL.

And personally, I think we lucked out getting rid of Shurmur. I just wish we would have gotten Fisher, Snead, and Schotty here a year earlier. Would have done a lot for Bradford's development.