Just WHO is at fault?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I'll take the blame. I never got around to burning that sage.

If you want a serious answer, I blame the players. The coaches coach. And we have really good coaches. I don't know how many times I have to hear Fisher, Williams and Schotty say, (almost verbatim) "We don't call plays that fail, and when we run these plays in practice they work." Execution failures across the board were the culprit, and the players have to be held accountable for that. That doesn't mean I absolve the coaches, but I don't put as much blame on them as the players. Situational play-calling was pretty good, but it only takes one or two execution failures to blow it all up. This is a young team and they're prone to making mistakes, and there are some weaknesses on the team that are getting exposed. I'll blame the coaches *more* if we show up like a bunch of keystone cops again this weekend.

Let the record show that I burned my damn sage.

I agree 100% with what you said.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
And P.S. I'm going to need someone (anyone) to show me Tavon was used on a trap play. I saw one play where he was blown up in the backfield after Floyd got instant penetration, but that was not a designed trap play. That was a designed stretch play.

How would we know...really? lol

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I think the game turned on 2 plays. The first one is when the Rams had 4th and 1 from the 32 and decided to kick a field goal. They were down 3-0. Zuerlein missed the kick. I say you have to go for it there. You are at home, only down 3-0. I think getting a first down there and keeping the drive going energizes the team and the crowd. When he missed the kick, it kinda deflated the crowd and gave MIN the ball at the 40. The second was Hill's INT. You CANNOT make that throw. There was absolutely nothing there. And if you are trying to throw it away - put it 3 rows deep, not right along the sideline. The guy made a great play, but it never should've happened. Those 2 along with stupid penalties cost this team more than anything in my opinion.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Let the record show that I burned my damn sage.

I agree 100% with what you said.

Same here. I had full intentions of burning my sage and even picked some out of the garden to dry out on Saturday.... and totally forgot. I'll burn some this week and hopefully add to some mojo.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
How would we know...really? lol
Because a trap play for a guy that small is idiocy. And despite what people think of Schottenheimer, he's not THAT stupid. There's also the direction Tavon was headed before he was swallowed up, and he wasn't counter-stepping or turning it inside. That's just my opinion, and your point is taken. I really don't know for 100% certain, but logic has to be the tool of choice here.

RamWoodie

Legend
Why does it have to be someone's fault? The Vikes played better! Let the staff go to work and see what they can fix.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I don't think there is anyone from the coaches to players going to say fault doesn't lie with them. Both coaches and players need to be better prepared and execute. Again we hear we are the youngest team, so it may require scaling back the playbook until we execute things well enough to expand. The offense, now more than ever, needs to be ground and pound. We're not going to out finesse anyone, so why not be physical SOB's. Their attitude should be "who cares if you load the box, we're still going to stuff it down your throat." The defense needs to forget about the preseason hype of "how great they will be" and just play sound fundamental football. Coaches need to make sure game plans are sound and make the appropriate in-game adjustments. Simpler is better. I sometimes think our coaches are trying "out think" the opposing coaches only to lose sight of what they should be calling based upon our team strengths and other teams weaknesses. My two cents.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Why does it have to be someone's fault? The Vikes played better! Let the staff go to work and see what they can fix.
I could accept that if it was at least a close game.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Stupid penalties by a number of players. Too many missed tackles. GZ missing a very make-able field goal. And more...

The coaches deserve their share of the blame. But the player's didn't execute on the field and that's what it ultimately comes down to.

GZ? He missed a 50 yard field goal but he also made a 56 and 46 and averaged 70+ yards on kickoffs. That's a good game for a kicker.

I mentioned the penalties. They were ridiculous, but a lot of that is coaching. It's a Fisher trademark.

I didn't see a lot of missed tackles. I saw a lot of very good tackles. I'm going to watch again tonight and see.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Because a trap play for a guy that small is idiocy. And despite what people think of Schottenheimer, he's not THAT stupid. There's also the direction Tavon was headed before he was swallowed up, and he wasn't counter-stepping or turning it inside. That's just my opinion, and your point is taken. I really don't know for 100% certain, but logic has to be the tool of choice here.

I was kidding, the play got blown up. I was poking fun at the Rams :)

RamWoodie

Legend
One thing's for sure...you can't fault Brian Quick. He showed me he has arrived yesterday.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll tell you who's at fault
images

The Football god's have it in for us....

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I don't think there is anyone from the coaches to players going to say fault doesn't lie with them. Both coaches and players need to be better prepared and execute. Again we hear we are the youngest team, so it may require scaling back the playbook until we execute things well enough to expand. The offense, now more than ever, needs to be ground and pound. We're not going to out finesse anyone, so why not be physical SOB's. Their attitude should be "who cares if you load the box, we're still going to stuff it down your throat." The defense needs to forget about the preseason hype of "how great they will be" and just play sound fundamental football. Coaches need to make sure game plans are sound and make the appropriate in-game adjustments. Simpler is better. I sometimes think our coaches are trying "out think" the opposing coaches only to lose sight of what they should be calling based upon our team strengths and other teams weaknesses. My two cents.

Great points and you bring up a point about age. We being the youngest team and I have even heard that as an excuse. Our average age is 24.98 to compare against Seattle that is 25.31. Is there really a big difference there?

RamzFanz

Damnit

Scale back the playbook? To what? The victory formation?

Let's remember there were only 2 rookies on the field as starters and both played well and neither got a penalty. This isn't a new playbook.

I disagree. I don't think it was primarily execution. I saw weak design and poor play calls. If I told you I was calling TA up the middle several times, what would your thoughts be?

Did you see the design that sprung Patterson for a TD? TA would score every time on that play! Or how Seattle uses MH?

The good news is the penalties can be fixed and the Rams are STILL loaded with talent. This game isn't the end of the story for the Rams this season IMHO.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Same here. I had full intentions of burning my sage and even picked some out of the garden to dry out on Saturday.... and totally forgot. I'll burn some this week and hopefully add to some mojo.
I'm doing my part with my presence alone

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because a trap play for a guy that small is idiocy. And despite what people think of Schottenheimer, he's not THAT stupid. .
How about running Tavon between the tackles?