Josh Gordon. It begins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From a Browns beat writer:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I dunno brother. I guarantee you I could find anything you could think of in Green Bay or the Twin Cities just as easy as LA (matter of fact I HAVE in both Madison and Minneapolis...and LA). Not saying I WOULD these days, just saying I COULD. I used to be into a lot of crap, and I have always traveled a lot - location never ever stopped me. I stopped me.

I guess your right. It's hard for kids in our small town to stay clean even when they go to meetings three days a week.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If the Browns are done with him, I'm worried about giving up anything for him.

Guys like him aren't worth a trade, when you know everyone will just sit and wait for his release, because the Browns had no takers. I could see them being tired of bad attitude and lying and such. After Manzeil they probably want a clean slate from any bad personalities. I would if I was Hue Jackson. He needs to change the culture of the factory. Can't do that with status quo.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
If he stays clean he is the best WR in the game IMO.

Take a chance, the upside alone is worth it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he stays clean he is the best WR in the game IMO.

Take a chance, the upside alone is worth it.

I think that's a major overstatement. One of the best? Sure. But better than Antonio Brown and Julio Jones? He has a long ways to go before he earns that title.

But I respect your opinion, my friend.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think that's a major overstatement. One of the best? Sure. But better than Antonio Brown and Julio Jones? He has a long ways to go before he earns that title.

But I respect your opinion, my friend.

I don't know man....in 2013 he had a better season than Brown with worse QBing, and on a worse team. One season doesn't guarantee anything, but I don't think it's a major overstatement....just a minor one. Saying he's fully capable of being a top 5 WR seems like right in that wheelhouse...and how can you not take a chance on that??

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know man....in 2013 he had a better season than Brown with worse QBing, and on a worse team. One season doesn't guarantee anything, but I don't think it's a major overstatement....just a minor one. Saying he's fully capable of being a top 5 WR seems like right in that wheelhouse...and how can you not take a chance on that??

Because if the Browns are shopping him, they have a reason for it. I can't advocate for a trade without knowing why they're shopping him.

Comparing what Gordon did in 2013 to what Brown did in 2013 isn't relevant to the discussion. It's 2016. Brown put up over 1800 yards receiving in 2015. We're comparing Gordon to Brown today. Not Brown 3 years ago. I understand why 2013 is relevant for Gordon. But it's certainly not relevant for Brown.

WvuIN02

Starter
Fact is: nobody knows what Gordon will do. Some learn their lesson, some dont. Its a gamble, but not necessarily one that wont pay off.

The Browns are the Browns for a reason. They thought Kellen Winslow was a better pick than Big Ben and that Johnny Manziel was worth trading up for...so basing anything off what the Browns do or dont do isnt really a good predictor imo

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Guys like him aren't worth a trade, when you know everyone will just sit and wait for his release, because the Browns had no takers. I could see them being tired of bad attitude and lying and such. After Manzeil they probably want a clean slate from any bad personalities. I would if I was Hue Jackson. He needs to change the culture of the factory. Can't do that with status quo.

Part of the issue in Cleveland is that they have no culture of winning and very little senior leadership with so many new coaches coming on so often. Players feel very little tenure and even if they take a leadership position on the field, the locker room has got to be a very different story. And we've seen it played out time and again. Winning teams have the leadership and culture to address these issues.

Cleveland lacks all these things and it's best for them to simply start with a clean slate. It really doesn't matter how much talent they shed because they don't have the leadership infrastructure to deal with those issues, thus any energy dealing with even the smallest issue will significantly curtail their efforts towards righting their course which is ultimately counterproductive.

Might they give away the next Cris Carter? Yep. Actually, I think that's EXACTLY what's about to happen. Josh Gordon's piece in the Player's Tribune was pretty amazing and I think with a player's coach like Fisher who treats players like men and holds them accountable while understanding their journey can and has brought players like Josh Gordon along successfully. Every time? No. They have to want to come along. Trey Watts didn't want it enough and he almost assuredly won't be back. There are others. However, there are guys who finally get it.

The Rams brought in Titus Young and realized quickly that he wasn't going to work. Fisher didn't sweat for a second making that decision, either.

I have faith that if there's ANY organization that Josh Gordon could be successful in, it would be this one.

And honestly, having someone that talented on offense at WR to complement Gurley and TA? That's what we're missing.

Seriously, even with Wentz as a rookie, if we got Wentz and Gordon, I think we'd be a lock for the playoffs. If the D stayed healthy and we got back our guys... it could even be a SB run. THAT'S how much difference he could make. The synergy of a #1 WR and a back like Gurley makes one shudder...

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because if the Browns are shopping him, they have a reason for it. I can't advocate for a trade without knowing why they're shopping him.

Comparing what Gordon did in 2013 to what Brown did in 2013 isn't relevant to the discussion. It's 2016. Brown put up over 1800 yards receiving in 2015. We're comparing Gordon to Brown today. Not Brown 3 years ago. I understand why 2013 is relevant for Gordon. But it's certainly not relevant for Brown.

I don't think he's better than Brown...just pointing out that he was at one point. That he was better with worse QB play is incredibly impressive. For me, him having the potential of being a top 5 WR is enough to give up a 4th rounder. Very unlikely that we get a 4th rounder that comes even close to what Gordon can be. And Fisher has proven that he can handle players with issues.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Honestly, I don't think teams are offering NEARLY that much.

With a potential year plus ban, I'm thinking Cleveland is hoping for something like a 6th and a conditional next year.

I would do that in a minute. 6th this year and a conditional next year. Nothing if he isn't on the team at the start of the season. Escalates to a 7th if he plays 10% of the offensive snaps for the season. If he gains 500 yards, it escalates to a 6th and if he gains 1000 yards, it escalates to a 5th.

Now, would it be worth it to send a 6th this year and a 5th next year for a 1000 yrd receiver?

That would be a no brainer to me, so the escalation would be pretty easy to stomach. Moreover, I think he'd eclipse that pretty easily even if we have Keenum for most of the year.

Why? Because if Gordon's the #1, that moves Britt to the #2 and Marquez to the slot when TA isn't doing his "weapon" thing. I actually like Britt as a better matchup against the #2 db.

I'm just sayin'... Rams and Gordon would be a fit.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I also want to point out that the Jets acquired Brandon Marshall from the Bears for a 5th round pick. Now, Fitzy is better than what we trotted out at QB last year....but, IMO he looked so good because of a great WR corps and a good running game.

I am sick and tired of being the team that doesn't pull the trigger on veteran players, or players with issues....when it comes to trading late picks. Get this guy in horns.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Fair point, my statement was based on his trajectory. Of course in the now he is not the best. If he didn't have the hiccups then I do think he would be the best.

Like @FrantikRam said he has not had much to work with either.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think he's better than Brown...just pointing out that he was at one point. That he was better with worse QB play is incredibly impressive. For me, him having the potential of being a top 5 WR is enough to give up a 4th rounder. Very unlikely that we get a 4th rounder that comes even close to what Gordon can be. And Fisher has proven that he can handle players with issues.

For me, I have to know what's up. Wouldn't be too pleasant to trade a 4th for him only to find out that the Browns dumped him because they found out he smoking weed again.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
For me, I have to know what's up. Wouldn't be too pleasant to trade a 4th for him only to find out that the Browns dumped him because they found out he smoking weed again.
So make the pick conditional for next year. A 3rd if he's clean. A 7th if he gets suspended.
The reason for the 3rd, is due to it being next years draft. If he's clean, he's worth a first.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So make the pick conditional for next year. A 3rd if he's clean. A 7th if he gets suspended.
The reason for the 3rd, is due to it being next years draft. If he's clean, he's worth a first.

From the Browns POV, why is that appealing?

If he really is clean, it's appealing. But if he really is clean, why trade him?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
From the Browns POV, why is that appealing?

If he really is clean, it's appealing. But if he really is clean, why trade him?
House cleaning. They do it every year. They're the Browns.

Seriously though. The same reason we cut Incognito. Origination had had enough.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
House cleaning. They do it every year. They're the Browns.

Seriously though. The same reason we cut Incognito. Origination had had enough.

But Incognito wasn't "clean" when we cut him. They brought in a new staff so it's not like the staff is frustrated with him.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
But Incognito wasn't "clean" when we cut him. They brought in a new staff so it's not like the staff is frustrated with him.
He was possibly the best olinemen on the team at the time. His anger kept getting the best of him. They didn't cut him because he was a bad player. They were just done with his antics. we got nothing by cutting him.

There is a chance that CLE is ready to cut ties with Gordon. More of a possibility than a probability. Either way, if they could get something for him, they may consider an offer.