Jim Harbaugh to Los Angeles Rams Rumor a ‘Very Real Thing’

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
His problem in SF was Baalke and them not wanting to pay him.

Are you kidding me? The guy takes that team from 7-9 with almost no turnover and goes to 3 straight NFC Championship games with a QB that we now know is really barely half an NFL QB (well, part of the first one included the pedestrian Alex Smith who Harbaugh actually had playing like he was actually close to worthy of the #1 overall pick...which he wasn't).

So the SF FO wants MOST of the credit for the success of the 9ers, which was BS because as they aged, they didn't replace much of the talent lost due to FA or draft.

They want the benefit of a HC that gets a team to 3 straight NFC Championship games, but then don't want to pay him. Worse, they won't just leave him alone.

Jokes on them. They built that new stadium and folks can order gourmet food from their very expensive seats from their smart phones... if they went to the games... There are HS games in Texas better attended than 9er games...

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
WOW, the love for Harbaugh is getting crazy in here. 20m/per year and full control? my lord. Yes hes the best HC candidate, but lets be real here. He didnt build up the niners, he just got the most out of that talent loaded roster. Obviously its things like that that makes him such a great coach, but Im not sure there was anything in his time to justify full control, not to mention being GM and Coach isnt really even a good mix in the 1st place. And 20m/per? thats just absurd, and anyone that said thats a good price is likely never going to be a good businessman

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
I don't give a shit how much we spend, it's not my money. All I want is a good team to watch on Sundays. Time to buck up Kroenke.

I'll tell ya what, Kroenke spends a bunch on a new head coach that actually does something? I'll go spend some money on this team.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Matt Patricia would be my second choice, I think...

I really like Matt Patricia and believe he's going to be something special add that in Demoff's press conference, he said the Rams need to find the best Head Coach of the team not necessarily an offensive coach because the last coach was defensive.

My List is:
  1. Jim Harbaugh (ask)
  2. David Shaw (might end being even better in the long run)
  3. Kyle Shanahan/Matt Patricia (the one the Rams feel are better fits).

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I'm like Kyle Shanahan because of the work he's done with Matt Ryan.

I'm not so hot on him because he runs a WCO and that's just death in this division.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Harbaugh would be sweet, but I just want them to interview really bright and creative guys. Shaw, Shanahan, Patricia, McVeigh, McDaniels, Haley, Cooter, Austin...etc. Turn over the stones and they should be able to come up with a solid coach. I wouldn't mind talking to Gus Bradley about a DC or LB coach job. He knows 4-3 scheme and Pete Carroll's stuff very well. This is an important off season. I don't want to follow the NFL Clippers.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...-insane-rumor-is-‘very-real-thing’/ar-AAlqEC0

Here is what Cowherd had to say about the Rams coaching situation if they move on from Jeff Fisher:

"I think Josh McDaniels could be really good, but his profile's rather small especially on the west coast. He was in Denver briefly, the Tebow coach and fail. I think you could bring Mike Shanahan in and he would bring his son Kyle Shanahan and if they came to Los Angeles that would work and you could bring Jim Harbaugh, that would work.

Maybe a Jon Gruden is worth considering. But, right now the Rams are bad and boring and this is Los Angeles and it's not working. I think Mike Shanahan for three years and then Kyle takes over after that makes a lot of sense."

McDaniels, Gruden and Shanahan were all candidates we listed to replace Fisher.

Harbaugh, however, would be a bit of a wild card and an unexpected candidate to return to the NFL after just two seasons with Michigan.

The Michigan coach would be a home run hire for the organization if they can somehow pull off the move.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/jim-harbaugh-to-coach-rams-insane-rumor-is-‘very-real-thing’/ar-AAlqEC0

Here is what Cowherd had to say about the Rams coaching situation if they move on from Jeff Fisher:

"I think Josh McDaniels could be really good, but his profile's rather small especially on the west coast. He was in Denver briefly, the Tebow coach and fail. I think you could bring Mike Shanahan in and he would bring his son Kyle Shanahan and if they came to Los Angeles that would work and you could bring Jim Harbaugh, that would work.

Maybe a Jon Gruden is worth considering. But, right now the Rams are bad and boring and this is Los Angeles and it's not working. I think Mike Shanahan for three years and then Kyle takes over after that makes a lot of sense."

McDaniels, Gruden and Shanahan were all candidates we listed to replace Fisher.

Harbaugh, however, would be a bit of a wild card and an unexpected candidate to return to the NFL after just two seasons with Michigan.

The Michigan coach would be a home run hire for the organization if they can somehow pull off the move.

Problem with Cowherd's logic is that Kyle is going to be a hot head coaching candidate on his own merits. Probably hotter than his Dad based on what he's done and his youth and owners wanting to lock that type of guy up who can maximize QB types. Second, you can pull him from Atlanta if his contract is up after this season but not sure that's the case. And lastly, is Mike going to want to interview head-to-head against his kid? I wouldn't.

So IMO if the Rams have Kyle identified as a primary option it will take Mike off the table. And maybe vice versa tbh.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Chip Kelly totally shot down the Eagles rumors and next thing you know........he was the Eagles coach. In this case I believe the insiders. Harbaugh is not going to admit this, in case it falls through. Then he has to explain it to his Michigan kids and it wont be easy. Best to say no, no, no for now.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's a lot of NFL cities I'd rather live in than LA, personally, and I wonder if a guy who grew up in the Midwest would be swayed to join the Rams because of LA (Harbaugh having lived in Ohio, Kentucky and Michigan growing up).

I'm not anti-LA, and I'm not saying Harbaugh wouldn't be interested in the gig, I'm just pointing out that this narrative of players and coaches wanting to come to the Rams simply because the Rams are in LA is flawed.

hey dewey, long time no see.....
kcCYCiW.jpg

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's a lot of NFL cities I'd rather live in than LA, personally, and I wonder if a guy who grew up in the Midwest would be swayed to join the Rams because of LA (Harbaugh having lived in Ohio, Kentucky and Michigan growing up).

I'm not anti-LA, and I'm not saying Harbaugh wouldn't be interested in the gig, I'm just pointing out that this narrative of players and coaches wanting to come to the Rams simply because the Rams are in LA is flawed.

He's also coached in San Diego, Palo Alto and San Francisco. It's not like he shunned any of those cities, he was forced out of SF he didn't leave because he didn't like California. I'm not saying he'll coach the Rams just because of LA but to say somebody won't coach there because they grew up in the midwest is just as silly as the crowd saying because LA. In the end I think he'll weigh three things. Money, roster input/control and the chance to stick it to Balke and the Yorks. A 4th would be how the roster is set up atm and the cap/draft capital to build something he can win with.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
He's also coached in San Diego, Palo Alto and San Francisco. It's not like he shunned any of those cities, he was forced out of SF he didn't leave because he didn't like California. I'm not saying he'll coach the Rams just because of LA but to say somebody won't coach there because they grew up in the midwest is just as silly as the crowd saying because LA. In the end I think he'll weigh three things. Money, roster input/control and the chance to stick it to Balke and the Yorks. A 4th would be how the roster is set up atm and the cap/draft capital to build something he can win with.
I agree. I wasn't trying to say he'd prefer not to be in CA - quite the opposite, I was mostly making the case that host city is not a particularly big driver in head coaches choosing gigs.

I'd probably bump the current state of a roster up over sticking it to the '9ers, but I may be wrong about that.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Nice post Mack and agreed.

Oh and also: I would offer him more than $10M per year to get him here. I'd go to $14M and break the HC bank wide the F open for that dude. Why? Because he's a winner. That is money well spent when you consider 2019 being the opening of the best stadium in the world with a playoff caliber team playing in it.

THAT is how you own the LA audience. Hire the dude, whatever it takes.

View: https://youtu.be/LhI88tg1Gqg

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
No way you give Harbaugh full control. He's a great coach but is horrible at drafting.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No way you give Harbaugh full control. He's a great coach but is horrible at drafting.
When has he been involved in drafting? That's what led to him being fired in SF. Balke and York wanted the credit for drafting the team and Harbaugh wanted credit for coaching it up. As for being a talent judge his college recruiting speaks for itself.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
When has he been involved in drafting? That's what led to him being fired in SF. Balke and York wanted the credit for drafting the team and Harbaugh wanted credit for coaching it up. As for being a talent judge his college recruiting speaks for itself.

The 3 years he was in the playoffs were players drafted before he got there so I'm not sure what you are saying. He drafted maybe 3 good players the whole time he was there.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
WOW, the love for Harbaugh is getting crazy in here. 20m/per year and full control? my lord. Yes hes the best HC candidate, but lets be real here. He didnt build up the niners, he just got the most out of that talent loaded roster. Obviously its things like that that makes him such a great coach, but Im not sure there was anything in his time to justify full control, not to mention being GM and Coach isnt really even a good mix in the 1st place. And 20m/per? thats just absurd, and anyone that said thats a good price is likely never going to be a good businessman

Well, I dunno if it's good value or not.

I'll tell you this. With Kroenke opening up that huge stadium in 2019, he almost NEEDS a turnaround like Harbaugh had with the 9ers.

If anyone thinks the next coach is gonna be able to get 3 years to strip away the "dead wood" and build something... nope.

This team is gonna need to win in 2017, even if they don't make the playoffs and make the playoffs in 2018.

I've added names and raised and lowered various names on my personal preference Head Coaching list, and no, I wouldn't suggest paying $20M/per and giving total control to just anyone.

Point being that Kroenke is going to open what is likely to be the best football stadium in the country for a LONG time.

He has the unique opportunity to launch it with a winning franchise. Doing so will make his MASSIVE investment become a DESTINATION and add value to it as a concert/event venue as well. That won't happen if the Rams just win their last few games of 2018. The Rams need to develop this fan base because this new temple to NFL's greed and ambivalence to the desire for the common man to see an NFL game live will demand a return on investment and the money won't come out for a mediocre product.

Thing is that Kroenke's got BILLIONS invested. BILLIONS.

There's exactly ONE HC out there with a resume of doing EXACTLY what the Rams need. Harbaugh walked into a very similar situation and immediately turned that franchise into a near dynasty.

Now... if I had BILLIONS on the line, would I be concerned with slightly overpaying due to the time sensitivity of this window? Not really. If the Rams are still a 4-12 team to open the new stadium, it won't matter what the wage of the HC, that stadium will be losing more money than the HC's salary almost per month.

Point being that there's a window that will synergize tremendously with a winning franchise. Otherwise, from a business development side, they'll all have to work that much harder to get that property to get the returns they project.

In that light, the salary of the HC isn't the issue... not at $10M or even $20M. The only issue is that whomever they pick HAS to get it right... HAS to get them more than competitive...winning... quick, right now and in a hurry.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The 3 years he was in the playoffs were players drafted before he got there so I'm not sure what you are saying. He drafted maybe 3 good players the whole time he was there.
You said he was horrible at drafting. I'm saying he never had draft control it was Balke.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
You said he was horrible at drafting. I'm saying he never had draft control it was Balke.

He brags about how he drafted kapernick and how he should have drafted Baldwin so I'm not sure that's the case. So you are saying he had no say so in the draft?