Jim Harbaugh to Los Angeles Rams Rumor a ‘Very Real Thing’

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I think Harjaw would be more enticed by the opportunity to coach against the Shehawks and Whiners than anything else. That said, I don't see any chance of him coming to LA.......

Zodi

Hall of Fame
"I'm going to say the same thing a man with two penises says when his tailor asks him if he dresses right or left.

Yes."

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't read all the posts but I will say this:
I'd much prefer the Rams pass on Harbaigh, even if he was available.

He strikes me as a super-nova type... comes in and makes an impact, then flames out shortly thereafter.

I don't want him.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Does anyone know if Harbaugh even wants to leave Michigan? I thought he was pretty happy to take the coaching position for them since he was a former quarterback for the Wolverines.

He said it was his dream job and he wanted to coach at Michigan since he was a kid.

Any talk about him leaving a job like that to come to the Rams is really a waste of bandwidth.

He makes the same money as Fisher and is royalty in Ann Arbor.

Just had this conversation with someone on the Herd and actually linked the article that quoted him after he took the job and had a press conference.

…..

Legend
Aside from the fact that he is working his dream job, we must account for the fact that he made the decision to make Kapperdick a starter. That shows poor judgment. lol

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
Aside from the fact that he is working his dream job, we must account for the fact that he made the decision to make Kapperdick a starter. That shows poor judgment. lol

While that is funny I think the hiring would be fantastic and Kaepernick is an example of why. Harbaugh was a QB and was able to make that steaming pile of dung (Kaepernick) look like a $20M/year pro-bowler. Imagine what he could do with Goff who really has talent? Not only that but he took over a dreadful/dysfunctional 49ers team and is the only coach in NFL history to make it to the Championship game his first 3 years as HC and I think the Rams are talent laden team waiting for the right catalyst. I think there just might be the incentives in LA that could entice him to move back to the west coast, at least I hope so!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
After Alex Smith got injured and they then rolled to the NFC championship game.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ld-pay-whatever-it-takes-to-get-jim-harbaugh/

Stan Kroenke should pay whatever it takes to get Jim Harbaugh
Posted by Mike Florio on December 12, 2016

625949084-e1481582198760.jpg
Getty Images

When it seemed for a sliver of time in July that Seahawks coach Pete Carroll and G.M. John Schneider may leave Seattle after 2016 and, possibly, land in L.A. with the Rams, a very quick sense emerged that the jobs in both cities would be highly coveted, if available.

Now that one of the jobs has become available, eligible coaches will be lining up for an opportunity to work for a very rich owner who has demonstrated a very high degree of patience in a very large market with, potentially, a very bright future.

Owner Stan Kroenke will have his choice of available coaches, a list that could be topped by Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who actually spent some time with the Rams after being fired by the Broncos. But Kroenke should be carefully considering a white whale with a track record of significant success in the NFL generally, and in the NFC West specifically.

Yes, Kroenke should open the coffers for Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh.

After jumping for Stanford to the 49ers in 2011, Harbaugh immediately turned the team around, taking it to the NFC title game in each of his first three years. A power struggle, in part, a basic ability to get along with G.M. Trent Baalke (and vice-versa), in part, and a desire to get paid like a Super Bowl-winning coach even though Harbaugh hadn’t won a Super Bowl, in part, sparked a “mutual parting” after only his fourth year with the team.

It won’t be easy to lure Harbaugh away from Michigan, given that he has spent only two years with his alma mater and would be leaving it in a lurch. Still, he has spent enough time there to sour, if he wants to, on one or more aspects of the job that will seem even less attractive moving forward if Kroenke makes Harbaugh an offer he can’t refuse.

So what would amount to an offer Harbaugh can’t refuse? Presumably, an annual salary in the range of $10 million to $15 million per year plus full control over the roster and the draft would be hard for Harbaugh to reject.

No one knows precisely what Patriots coach Bill Belichick earns; the popular belief among those typically in the know is that he’s getting $12 million per year. If Kroenke offers Harbaugh more than that for a chance to cross swords with his college nemesis (Pete Carroll) and the 49ers, how does Harbaugh say no?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'll read the whole thread, but I wanted to post this...

a) multiple reporters have reported that OCs and various coaches have been actually ASKING what they've heard about the LA job. Basically, it's going to be THE job.

b) the Rams job is such a coup because:
1) new and likely best NFL stadium for a long time coming (with the end of public financing looking to be at an end, you just won't see any $2.6B stadiums being built with public money anymore),

2) potential Franchise QB,

3) franchise RB,

4) solid D including the best player in the NFL in AD,

5) best ST unit in football including the best punter in the NFL in Hekker,

6) Hands off owner who spends generously on facilities, coaches and players,

7) a Front Office that aligns with the HC to win. You never hear about this FO undercutting the HC. The ONLY time you read a single comment was when Fisher basically threw the FO under the bus and and unnamed source took exception in what I personally saw as a very even-handed response.

Does that mean that Harbaugh will come?

Who knows? But undervaluing this opportunity would be a huge mistake. This is actually a BETTER job than the Jets job by a thousand miles. No other job coming up in the NFL comes remotely close and THAT's why you have coaches actually asking reporters about the job versus vice versa.

And THAT'S why when this process begins in earnest, we should see the very best candidates as opposed to years past when as fans we saw the best candidates demure for greener pastures.

WE ARE THE GREENEST PASTURE IN DECADES.

Sure a lot of players will be turned over, but we have plenty of pieces to compete.

Don't think that the UofMichigan Trustees aren't panicking a little bit right now. They should. And don't think that $10M price tag is too much for Kroenke. This is LA and a winning team in LA is worth twice that. Easily.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...hers-offense-sucks-rams-should-hire-harbaugh/

Eric Dickerson: Fisher’s offense sucks, Rams should hire Harbaugh
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 12, 2016

Rams Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson got his wish today when the team fired head coach Jeff Fisher, and Dickerson didn’t hold back afterward.

Dickerson went on ESPN shortly after Fisher was fired and ripped Fisher for failing to put a respectable offense on the field.

“For lack of better words, the offense sucks. I mean, he killed us, and that’s what it came down to, and that’s on him as a head coach. He put Rob Boras as offensive coordinator to run our offense, and our offense was horrible. I called it a high school offense and Todd Gurley called it middle school,” Dickerson said.

Dickerson said the Rams can only succeed in Los Angeles if they can win.

“We need to win football games,” Dickerson said. “The Los Angeles market is not going to stand for it. . . . There’s a lot to do in L.A. other than to watch football games.”

So what would Dickerson do to change things?

“If I had a choice I would take Jim Harbaugh. I don’t know if he wants to leave Michigan, that’s on him, but I know what he did at Stanford,” Dickerson said. “He turned the Niners around, he took Michigan to No. 5 in the country, he’s done so much. You’ve got to look at a track record of a coach.”

Dickerson got his first wish when Fisher was fired. Time will tell if Dickerson will get his second wish of Harbaugh serving as the next head coach.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Not sure how I feel about Harbaugh being the next HC of the Rams.

Seems like a sexual deviant to me.....

original_original.gif

Funny...

At the same time... someone but us freaking fans needs to scream and shout about how much Quinn is held on EVERY DAMN PLAY!!!!

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

Yeah, but he hasn't seen the number written on the napkin... ya know... over casual drinks.... the drinks he has a few weeks before the shocking press conference... the one where Michigan fans all start to hate the Rams...

Just saying... sometimes shooting down rumors is worse than no comment because it means nothing.

Some guys can't be bought, but if Kroenke said, "$20M per, total control," is that a slam dunk, "no"?

I dunno.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I just don't believe that HarBlah will leave The Maze & Blue before he wins a National Championship.

But after Bama wins another one this year... I have a sneaking suspicion the Nick Satan will be very interested.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Don't think that the UofMichigan Trustees aren't panicking a little bit right now. They should. And don't think that $10M price tag is too much for Kroenke. This is LA and a winning team in LA is worth twice that. Easily.

Nice post Mack and agreed.

Oh and also: I would offer him more than $10M per year to get him here. I'd go to $14M and break the HC bank wide the F open for that dude. Why? Because he's a winner. That is money well spent when you consider 2019 being the opening of the best stadium in the world with a playoff caliber team playing in it.

THAT is how you own the LA audience. Hire the dude, whatever it takes.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Nice post Mack and agreed.

Oh and also: I would offer him more than $10M per year to get him here. I'd go to $14M and break the HC bank wide the F open for that dude. Why? Because he's a winner. That is money well spent when you consider 2019 being the opening of the best stadium in the world with a playoff caliber team playing in it.

THAT is how you own the LA audience. Hire the dude, whatever it takes.

Sure, why not? Start there. He's almost certainly going to say no.

But, if I had Kroenke money, I'd say, "let's cut the crap. $20M/per. Total control. I got business. I want to open the greatest sports venue in the WORLD. I want you to put the greatest football team in it. You game?"

Seems like a simple enough sell...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Sure, why not? Start there. He's almost certainly going to say no.

But, if I had Kroenke money, I'd say, "let's cut the crap. $20M/per. Total control. I got business. I want to open the greatest sports venue in the WORLD. I want you to put the greatest football team in it. You game?"

Seems like a simple enough sell...

And you know, if he succeeds $20M is still money well spent. Only concern I do have with Jim is the control side of things. I know he's a fine head coach, but is he ready to handle all the other BS the full control comes with? It is still worth the risk, of course, but it's my only question with him. Man it would energize this fan base...

jjab360

Legend
I'll read the whole thread, but I wanted to post this...

a) multiple reporters have reported that OCs and various coaches have been actually ASKING what they've heard about the LA job. Basically, it's going to be THE job.

b) the Rams job is such a coup because:
1) new and likely best NFL stadium for a long time coming (with the end of public financing looking to be at an end, you just won't see any $2.6B stadiums being built with public money anymore),

2) potential Franchise QB,

3) franchise RB,

4) solid D including the best player in the NFL in AD,

5) best ST unit in football including the best punter in the NFL in Hekker,

6) Hands off owner who spends generously on facilities, coaches and players,

7) a Front Office that aligns with the HC to win. You never hear about this FO undercutting the HC. The ONLY time you read a single comment was when Fisher basically threw the FO under the bus and and unnamed source took exception in what I personally saw as a very even-handed response.

Does that mean that Harbaugh will come?

Who knows? But undervaluing this opportunity would be a huge mistake. This is actually a BETTER job than the Jets job by a thousand miles. No other job coming up in the NFL comes remotely close and THAT's why you have coaches actually asking reporters about the job versus vice versa.

And THAT'S why when this process begins in earnest, we should see the very best candidates as opposed to years past when as fans we saw the best candidates demure for greener pastures.

WE ARE THE GREENEST PASTURE IN DECADES.

Sure a lot of players will be turned over, but we have plenty of pieces to compete.

Exactly. It might not be Harbaugh, but we are going to absolutely have our pick of the litter of head coaches.