Jim Harbaugh to Los Angeles Rams Rumor a ‘Very Real Thing’

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
https://www.google.com/amp/ramblinfan.com/2016/12/10/jim-harbaugh-rams-rumor-real-thing/amp/

If the Los Angeles Rams decide to make a coaching change at the end of the 2016 season, there is a possibility that Jim Harbaugh could become the next head coach.

MMQB’s Albert Breer was on the Colin Cowherd show on Friday and spoke about the overall state of the Rams. Among the topics discussed was the rumor that head coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead don’t get along.

After the segment was over, Cowherd revealed that Breer had told him a rumor about Harbaugh coaching the Rams was “a very real thing”:

“By the way, Albert Breer on the way out said that Jim Harbaugh to the Rams rumor is a very real thing.”

Cowherd then went on to talk about how Harbaugh might be unhappy with the college football system as coach of the Michigan Wolverines, which could ultimately lead to him going back to the NFL sooner rather than later:

“Did the horrible officiating at Ohio State feel small to Harbaugh? Did he feel like something was robbed? He didn’t get voted into the final four, the terrible officiating, how does that sit with Harbaugh? Does it bother him? I don’t know.”

Cowherd also named Jon Gruden and Mike Shanahan as other possibilities for the Rams to turn to if Fisher gets axed.

Is Jim Harbaugh a Good Fit for Rams?
Harbaugh hasn’t coached in the NFL since 2014 when he led the San Francisco 49ers to an 8-8 record. Before his falling out with upper management that led to his exit, Harbaugh revitalized the Niners franchise.

Not only did he take San Fran to three straight NFC Championship games, but he also turned one of those trips into a Super Bowl appearance. That’s exactly the kind of winning experience this Rams team needs roaming the sidelines.

Whether or not there is even a coaching vacancy for Harbaugh to take in Los Angeles after 2016 remains to be seen considering the Rams just inked Fisher to a two-year extension.

However, if owner Stan Kroenke and COO Kevin Demoff want to get serious about turning this ship around, firing Fisher as soon as possible and hiring a coach like Harbaugh would be the best way to go about it.

After all, he did wonders with Colin Kaepernick and could quite possibly be just what the doctor ordered to get Jared Goff and the rest of this team going. Furthermore, hiring Harbaugh would revitalize a fanbase that has been beaten down by perennial failure.

Should Fisher lose his job, there’s no question Harbaugh should be at the top of the list of coaches to replace him; although Harbaugh leaving his alma mater after just two years – or even three if Fisher gets fired following the 2017 season – seems unlikely at best.

Also

When Rams insider was asked about potential HC candidates.

View: https://twitter.com/dailynewsvinny/status/808079441393897472

When Rams insider was asked about why Harbaugh would even consider coaching the Rams

View: https://twitter.com/dailynewsvinny/status/808081735078449153

Last edited:

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I do not buy this article at all. It sounds like he is making stuff up and has not talked to anyone. Saying it's "LA" and there's "power" is not good enough for me. Also, Gruden and Shannahan get mentioned every year when someone is fired, nothing new.

Last edited:

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
How, exactly, is LA a reason to consider taking a job? He was already in Cali (SF) and left for Michigan.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How, exactly, is LA a reason to consider taking a job? He was already in Cali (SF) and left for Michigan.

That wasn't voluntary. SF pushed him out. In retrospect, it was good for him. Their terrible GM and owner ran the team straight into the ground.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
And so it begins, the LA will get all good things because it's LA mentality.

I have nothing against LA, but I can't help roll my eyes and give an exasperated sigh when people start going on like the streets are made of gold and the sky rains money.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And so it begins, the LA will get all good things because it's LA mentality.

I have nothing against LA, but I can't help roll my eyes and give an exasperated sigh when people start going on like the streets are made of gold and the sky rains money.

I'd say it's more because of the media exposure and Kroenke's ability to throw boatloads of money at anything...

The climate and celebrities also tend to help...

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
No way Harbaugh comes to L.A. Not for money, not for fame, not at all. The other two he listed are good coordinators, but I'm not so sure they'd be a good HC at this time.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'd say it's more because of the media exposure and Kroenke's ability to throw boatloads of money at anything...

The climate and celebrities also tend to help...
Thing is, this is the NFL. If you win, you get shit-tons of media exposure, regardless of where you reside. Lose and nobody cares about you.

Case in point: does anyone get any better media exposure than the Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers? Or the Seattle Seahawks and Russell Wilson?

I don't get the whole "people will come because Los Angeles" mindset. Hell, even the big celebrity sighting at the Coliseum today was an Atlanta fan, no? Gucci Mane, I think?

The climate doesn't seem to help San Diego...

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
@DCH
There is hardly anything to compare from L.A to SF. Weather, culture, Industry. Really they only share a state name. Their are So. Cals that have spent almost no time in the bay area and vice versa. Like NYC and Buffalo or ?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
@DCH
There is hardly anything to compare from L.A to SF. Weather, culture, Industry. Really they share a state name, Their are So. Cals that have spent almost no time in the bay area and vice versa. Like NYC and Buffalo or ?
Do you think that the fact that the Rams are in LA makes a difference in swaying a potential head coaching candidate?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
On an aside, what other teams will likely be looking for head coaches this offseason?

Jets seem likely.
'9ers might, but they'll probably give Kelly a year or 2 post-Baalke to try.
Jaguars
Bengals, maybe, if they finally give up on Lewis?
Indy?
Chargers?
Bills?

jjab360

Legend
Do you think that the fact that the Rams are in LA makes a difference in swaying a potential head coaching candidate?
Why wouldn't it. If somebody told me that all things being equal I had a choice whether I wanted to work in Hollywood or the drab middle west, I know damn sure it would hold some sway in my decision making.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Why wouldn't it. If somebody told me that all things being equal I had a choice whether I wanted to work in Hollywood or the drab middle west, I know damn sure it would hold some sway in my decision making.
There's a lot of NFL cities I'd rather live in than LA, personally, and I wonder if a guy who grew up in the Midwest would be swayed to join the Rams because of LA (Harbaugh having lived in Ohio, Kentucky and Michigan growing up).

I'm not anti-LA, and I'm not saying Harbaugh wouldn't be interested in the gig, I'm just pointing out that this narrative of players and coaches wanting to come to the Rams simply because the Rams are in LA is flawed.

jjab360

Legend
There's a lot of NFL cities I'd rather live in than LA, personally, and I wonder if a guy who grew up in the Midwest would be swayed to join the Rams because of LA (Harbaugh having lived in Ohio, Kentucky and Michigan growing up).

I'm not anti-LA, and I'm not saying Harbaugh wouldn't be interested in the gig, I'm just pointing out that this narrative of players and coaches wanting to come to the Rams simply because the Rams are in LA is flawed.
I don't think anyone's saying that a coach would want to come to the Rams purely for geographical purposes. But people are taking into account the totality of the circumstances. Young franchise QB, RB, talented defense, glory of playing on what will be the biggest stage in the NFL, the media attention that follows -- for his ego, and a non-overbearing owner that has proven to give his HC complete power, whatever contract he asks for, and a leash a hundred miles long.

When you take all those things into account, I don't see how you can't see it would be an enticing job.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thing is, this is the NFL. If you win, you get crap-tons of media exposure, regardless of where you reside. Lose and nobody cares about you.

Case in point: does anyone get any better media exposure than the Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers? Or the Seattle Seahawks and Russell Wilson?

Yes. The Dallas Cowboys do. Hell, the Rams are getting a ton more media exposure in LA than they were in St. Louis. That's despite our team posting its worst record under Fisher.

The Packers are a rarity. They're basically football royalty. Exception to the rule. Same with the Steelers.

Note that the Dolphins, Texans, Titans, Chiefs, Lions, Falcons, and Bucs aren't getting a lot of exposure despite having winning records. Whereas teams like the Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Patriots, Redskins, Broncos, Raiders, Packers, and Steelers dominate the headlines.

It's simply how it is in the NFL. It's not a coincidence that NFC East teams get a shitload of prime time games.

You're right that winning gets you more exposure. But there are certain franchises that get more exposure when they're winning than others. The LA Rams are that sort of franchise. If they're winning, they'll get a crapton of media exposure.

I don't get the whole "people will come because Los Angeles" mindset. Hell, even the big celebrity sighting at the Coliseum today was an Atlanta fan, no? Gucci Mane, I think?

I don't know how you don't get it. I'm not from California. I've never been to LA. I don't want to live in LA. But I still get it. If you're a star athlete in LA, you get to pal around with celebrities. Especially if you're on a winning team. And then there's endorsements, media exposure, etc.

The climate doesn't seem to help San Diego...

In what way does it not help San Diego?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On an aside, what other teams will likely be looking for head coaches this offseason?

Jets seem likely.
'9ers might, but they'll probably give Kelly a year or 2 post-Baalke to try.
Jaguars
Bengals, maybe, if they finally give up on Lewis?
Indy?
Chargers?
Bills?

Based on what I see now:
Rams (we better)
Jaguars
Bills
Chargers

I'd say Indy and the Jets are 50/50. I think Bengals likely keep Lewis. I don't know what the 49ers will do.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Regarding VB tweets - total opinion piece based on nothing other than "usual suspects" listing.

so, combine that with a fan blogger and you end up with an article of supposition and fantasy.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Hard to tell depends on the person. High pressure market for sure, spotlight sharply focused word class media.
Most competitive people would welcome the challenge. You are in the minority with your disdain for living in L.A from what I have learned in speaking with people and traveling around the U.S. L.A.'s major deterrent is cost of living non issue for an NFL coach. It will be in the 60's and weather attracts people along with a diverse culture and I think that is usually seen as a point of interest
To Sum it up I think L.A attracts more coaches and players than it loses but it will always come down to the sports franchise and it's assets and attractiveness to the coach in question. I agree it is unlikely anyone goes to a city just for the geographical benefit but I can't imagine it ever hurts.

Last edited: