Jets trade up to #3

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Bills got so screwed in all this.

QBs going 1-2-3. Giants should take a QB given this prime position.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is what’s wrong with the NFL. Teams can’t be patient. None of these QBs are worth trading up for IMO. It’s not the teams fault, but owners want winners now. Denver has the right idea, hopefully. Get a decent QB in Keenum and build your team around him and stay competitive. But wait until you’re absolutely sure you want that QB.

isn't that what everyone said when the rams and eagles traded up to #1 and #2? now goff and wentz look like the best of the bunch of the qbs that were drafted recently.

Ranma

Rookie
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. We already know Goff and McVay are a great match together. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, and nobody will beat you up for it, but Rosen isn't a possibility for us.

Yeah, I don't think trading Goff for the 1st overall pick and multiple picks including at least a second-rounder is a realistic possibility, but I can't help but ponder the what-if scenario.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
isn't that what everyone said when the rams and eagles traded up to #1 and #2? now goff and wentz look like the best of the bunch of the qbs that were drafted recently.

Yea, I think the teams that are sitting this year out have the wrong idea. It's the perfect storm. You have a stocked QB FA and trade market to get you some bridge QBs and a stocked draft to get a potential franchise QB. This is ideal. You can take your time to develop your potential franchise guy. The teams that sit out the strong drafts often end up having to select QBs in weaker drafts.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I don't think trading Goff for the 1st overall pick and multiple picks including at least a second-rounder is a realistic possibility, but I can't help but ponder the what-if scenario.

For me, there's nothing to ponder. We have a 23 year old, former #1 overall pick at QB who is coming off of one of the best sophomore QB seasons in recent history. We have our franchise QB. There's no reason to take a shot on an unknown.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I am not getting it.
The jets are giving up that much draft capital to move behind TWO QB needy teams? No matter who they're targeting, he might not be there. So the jets are basically saying, "we'll take the best QB available."?

The only way this makes sense to me is if they have their eyes on a couple players and know one will be there and they're comfortable no matter who it is--possibly not even a QB

Another off season head scratcher.

100% agree. I doubt all three QBs pan out. To me a dumb move. Most years 3 QBs don't pan out. We shall see in 3 years.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea, I think the teams that are sitting this year out have the wrong idea. It's the perfect storm. You have a stocked QB FA and trade market to get you some bridge QBs and a stocked draft to get a potential franchise QB. This is ideal. You can take your time to develop your potential franchise guy. The teams that sit out the strong drafts often end up having to select QBs in weaker drafts.

not only that, the cost of a qb nowadays is frightening. $28m for cousins? fuck that. even sammy got $20m and there's no guarantee he lasts more than 1 game.

if you need a qb you take your chances in the draft. i was so happy when the rams traded up to the #1 slot. the risk that he turns into a bust is overwhelmingly outweighed by the chance he turns into a good qb.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
100% agree. I doubt all three QBs pan out. To me a dumb move. Most years 3 QBs don't pan out. We shall see in 3 years.

Jets had jack $#!T at the position, so tbh moving up was the smartest thing they've done in years. McCown isn't a starter, but as a short term bridge guy to a young kid he isn't all that bad. They have to get the position filled, so like with the Rams a couple years back you gotta give them cred in biting the bullet and gettin 'er done.

At three overall they will--at the very least--have their choice of Rosen or Mayfield. Rosen's got elite talent, but has taken a hit of late with teams doubting how much he loves ball. Mayfield took hits leading up to this point, but has killed it at every step and the players love the dude. I think it'll be Rosen in NY.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the Jets made a great trade, they guaranteed themself a top 3 QB.
Problem is, they are still the Jets. Watch them draft Lamar Jackson

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That’s a load of pics.

Wow.

Will always say The Rams should of kept the gift that kept giving.

Why The Rams didn’t trade back The RG111 p#2 pick overall is beyond me . All those picks & then to get the #2 pick all over again ?

Especially with such a deep WR & OL draft.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's probably blasphemous for me to say this, especially as a newcomer, but I like Josh Rosen more than Jared Goff. Full disclosure, I'm a Bruin alumnus, but I think Rosen's intelligence would benefit from McVay's complicated schemes. Plus, Rosen is considered one of the most natural throwers at the QB position in recent memory.

Concerns over his personality are overblown IMO. He comes off as a smart guy who is just unafraid to speak his mind. The problem with Rosen is that he will try to force throws into coverage at times given his confidence in his abilities, but that same confidence also allows him to lead his team in comebacks. Having said that, Josh Allen has the highest upside out of all the quarterbacks in this draft class as a boom-or-bust pick but Sam Arnold probably has more intangibles and a higher ceiling than Rosen, who is the more NFL-ready of the bunch. Baker Mayfield seems like a wildcard as possibly the good version of "Johnny Football".

By the way, I eventually liked both Goff and Carson Wentz leading up to the 2016 draft, but I was actually campaigning for Wentz at the time.

Goff is obviously the safer bet during our current window for championship contention, but I think Rosen will be the better QB over time as long as he goes to the right team. I'm not even saying Rosen will be an all-time great, but it just seems like he and McVay would be a great match together.

Darnold's the class of this draft at QB due to his upside. Every year the QBs get overnuked to the Nth degree, but as a Rams fan I've gotten very used to lookin at QBs' cutups and IMO he's right in line with all the top picks in terms of talent. He's got a chance to be an elite QB for a long time in this league.

Rosen is this year's "overnuked" QB. And I agree it's BS. GMs are sweating how he'll come across in the locker room, but the key with him is he's talented as F and nobody gives him cred for playing for a defensive head coach. If the dude had played for a better program all the spin would be 180 degrees out from what they're saying now.

There's a chance Rosen ends up being the best QB from this class. Comes down to how hard he works and whether he lucks into a great situation. The coaching matters. Talent around them matters. And so on. But either way I think it's ridiculous the BS this kid's getting. He's no Mayfield (who has an almost cult-like effect on players around him) but put him in a protected pocket with some talent and watch out. He is every bit worth the risk of that high pick.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Will always say The Rams should of kept the gift that kept giving.

Why The Rams didn’t trade back The RG111 p#2 pick overall is beyond me . All those picks & then to get the #2 pick all over again ?

Especially with such a deep WR & OL draft.
Coulda shoulda woulda. Pretty sure Cleveland wishes they took Aaron Donald instead of Justin Gilbert.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Colts can get a top 3 player in the draft at 6, pick up 3 2nd round pick over the next 2 seasons. Provided Luck is healthy, they can get good quickly.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
The Jets moved too early. They allow other teams too much time to plot to move above them. These type of moves should be reserved until the very last moment.

If they really like the top three QBs equally, then they simply did not complete their homework. You need to know exactly who you want and why based on your team philosophy & goals and rank the QB candidates accordingly. The Horns liked both Carson Wentz and Jared, but Jared gained the edge because his overall QB skill set and potential was higher. It is sheer laziness to simply regard QB candidates as all being equal. You gotta know who and what you want and then go get him.
The problem is that if let's say they waited until a few days before the draft then the other team involved, in this case the Colts, now knowing the pressure the Jets are under, could put the squeeze on them and demand even more in trade from them. So maybe the Jets didn't want to risk having to give the Colts anymore than they already are, even if I do feel they've given up more than they should.

Ranma

Rookie
For me, there's nothing to ponder. We have a 23 year old, former #1 overall pick at QB who is coming off of one of the best sophomore QB seasons in recent history. We have our franchise QB. There's no reason to take a shot on an unknown.

I get it, especially with our current window for championship contention. I know you're not inclined to ponder what-if scenarios, but please humor me for a moment. What if the Rams were able to pull off a "Draft Day" scenario with Les Snead being the character Kevin Costner portrayed by getting the Browns to offer up the 1st and 4th overall picks and a future 2nd-round selection? Would you at least be tempted? There's always a breaking point and price to anything, so I'm trying to get a sense of yours or see if you're totally steadfast with going with what we already have.

This scenario may seem like an exorbitant price to pay but the Rams gave up a huge haul to get Goff, in the first place, and he is a proven NFL quarterback, after all. The Browns also traded out of the 2nd overall slot right after the Rams acquired the 1st overall selection in the 2016 NFL Draft, so it's conceivable that Goff was the target of a Cleveland team that was and still is in search of their QB of the future. Goff was probably their Bo Callahan, as it were.

In any case, not only would the Rams have their choice among a strong class of quarterback prospects, but they could also assure themselves of either Bradley Chubb or Tremaine Edmunds even if they traded down a little from the 4th overall pick to gain even more draft picks.

I'm curious if this purely hypothetical scenario would be enough for you to change your mind to take such a gamble, jrry32.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, not trading Goff sorry. It's a nice dream I guess for some but he's our QB.

TexasRam

Legend
Crazy stupid.

These QB’s are not exactly Wentz, Goff prospects.

They may not even be Mariota or Winston’s.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I get it, especially with our current window for championship contention. I know you're not inclined to ponder what-if scenarios, but please humor me for a moment. What if the Rams were able to pull off a "Draft Day" scenario with Les Snead being the character Kevin Costner portrayed by getting the Browns to offer up the 1st and 4th overall picks and a future 2nd-round selection? Would you at least be tempted? There's always a breaking point and price to anything, so I'm trying to get a sense of yours or see if you're totally steadfast with going with what we already have.

This scenario may seem like an exorbitant price to pay but the Rams gave up a huge haul to get Goff, in the first place, and he is a proven NFL quarterback, after all. The Browns also traded out of the 2nd overall slot right after the Rams acquired the 1st overall selection in the 2016 NFL Draft, so it's conceivable that Goff was the target of a Cleveland team that was and still is in search of their QB of the future. Goff was probably their Bo Callahan, as it were.

In any case, not only would the Rams have their choice among a strong class of quarterback prospects, but they could also assure themselves of either Bradley Chubb or Tremaine Edmunds even if they traded down a little from the 4th overall pick to gain even more draft picks.

I'm curious if this purely hypothetical scenario would be enough for you to change your mind to take such a gamble, jrry32.
Just one question. Who uses green font?!