Jeff Fisher to receive 3yr extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Having the contracts done up is not a big deal provided the actual signing is pending results. Lot of folks losing their minds for no reason on that.

And even then, if Fish doesn't have a good season Stan will probably fire him anyway. The contract has little to do with anything if the team loses, because the fans voting with their feet will change Stan's perception quickly.

Right now all that is the least of our concerns IMO. Seattle is a huge storyline for us right now. Keenum's career hangs in the balance, and if they lose badly maybe Jeff's as well. But what if they win big? All I care about right now is this game, that other stuff will take care of itself based on results.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Having the contracts done up is not a big deal provided the actual signing is pending results. Lot of folks losing their minds for no reason on that.

And even then, if Fish doesn't have a good season Stan will probably fire him anyway. The contract has little to do with anything if the team loses, because the fans voting with their feet will change Stan's perception quickly.

Right now all that is the least of our concerns IMO. Seattle is a huge storyline for us right now. Keenum's career hangs in the balance, and if they lose badly maybe Jeff's as well. But what if they win big? All I care about right now is this game, that other stuff will take care of itself based on results.
Good stuff.

Whether he gets a contract extension or not probably does hinge on this season. And even if it doesn't, and he gets one tomorrow, it's not a guaranteed contract. All that said, if Goff turns out to be everything they hope he is, then it's all moot. We all know that Fisher can get to a Superbowl with a stout defense, good QB, and good RB. And he was one of two teams that held the Rams in check that year. We're very close with the defense, and already have the RB, so all we need now (and what HE needs more than anything) is the QB. Having Bradford for the limited amount of time he did, afforded him some more flexibility on offense - and they did flex that offense at times (remember Givens' rookie year?). So, yeah. If Goff blows up, then Fisher's contract could probably run parallel to Goff's career and nobody will say boo about it. Because we'll be winning a shit ton of games.

FRO

Legend
As long as Kroenke is the owner the Rams will not be consistently good. He makes business decisions, not sports decision. He has a track record in a few other major sports leagues. He doesn't care about wins and losses unless it effects his bottom line.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I just don't get how endorsing Fisher and rewarding him for mediocrity helps Kroenke get his precious $$$

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As long as Kroenke is the owner the Rams will not be consistently good. He makes business decisions, not sports decision. He has a track record in a few other major sports leagues. He doesn't care about wins and losses unless it effects his bottom line.

I can't agree with you on that Fro. Not gonna get into all his other teams because I could care less about them. But he is known to be very strongly influenced by the Patriots and the way they have set up their organization, and has gone out of his way to support the coach he brought in five years ago in the hopes that Fisher could get this thing rolling like Belichick did in NE. As insane as that sounds to us, who know Fish is no Belichick, it actually has some merits in that it demonstrates he is a desirable owner to work for. And even further, if Fish is not maintained after this season, coaches are going to line up for miles for his job because it comes with world class facilities and accommodations.

He is turning the Rams into a top organization and desired coaching destination, not just grabbing for money.

Look, I understand many hate the guy, particularly our STL brothers. I hated Georgia the same way. But unfortunately for STL there is a good chance IMO that Stan ends up being a very successful owner with our team. As it stands right now it looks like Fish is not going to take this team to the playoffs, but this thing isn't over yet. And if and when that happens, if the Rams lose 8 or more games again, let's wait and see what Stan does.

Q729

Legend
Kronke doesn't give a crap if we win or lose. His grand stadium will still be filled with opposing teams' fans that want to come watch an easy road victory. Businessman indeed.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
His grand stadium will still be filled with opposing teams' fans that want to come watch an easy road victory.
That's the spirit. Way to be "the guy".....

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
FWIW, they said his extension would be announced with brockers, and I believe they announced that one but not fishers

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

That's absolutely false.

Arsenal one of his most prized possessions always has a winning record and competes.

FRO

Legend
I can't agree with you on that Fro. Not gonna get into all his other teams because I could care less about them. But he is known to be very strongly influenced by the Patriots and the way they have set up their organization, and has gone out of his way to support the coach he brought in five years ago in the hopes that Fisher could get this thing rolling like Belichick did in NE. As insane as that sounds to us, who know Fish is no Belichick, it actually has some merits in that it demonstrates he is a desirable owner to work for. And even further, if Fish is not maintained after this season, coaches are going to line up for miles for his job because it comes with world class facilities and accommodations.

He is turning the Rams into a top organization and desired coaching destination, not just grabbing for money.

Look, I understand many hate the guy, particularly our STL brothers. I hated Georgia the same way. But unfortunately for STL there is a good chance IMO that Stan ends up being a very successful owner with our team. As it stands right now it looks like Fish is not going to take this team to the playoffs, but this thing isn't over yet. And if and when that happens, if the Rams lose 8 or more games again, let's wait and see what Stan does.
He has been an owner for the last 22 years and the majority owner for the last 6. How much time you going to give him to build the organization. The team was 7-9 in 2010. They'll be lucky to go 7-9 in 2016. They had 4 top 2 picks in that span. They have had 18 top 100 picks in the Fisher/Snead regime. How much rope does Kroenke get?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
That's absolutely false.

Arsenal one of his most prized possessions always has a winning record and competes.

I agree but let's look closer at that

1. look at their fucked up transfer policy as an example of how they operate under Kroenke - they say they can't spend until they pay off the Emirites, but when the debt is paid they only buy Ozil and Sanchez after they supposedly have all those millions in the coffers - what is it like 200 million pounds? it's bullshit to come out of this transfer window as an Arsenal fan with Mustafi, Perez (desperation buy) and Xhaka (can't replace Coquillan) - it's a joke. They should have swooped in on Higuan from day one, but dragged their feet. Meanwhile Man City, Man U, Chelsea, and even fucking Boro are stockpiling talent

A draw with PSG is all Arsenal fans have to look forward to, and the possibility Stan let's Wenger walk - but for who? Simone ?? Heck no, but Eddie Howe......

Look, the good news is that if Kroenke hires Eddie Howe, he may be looking to clean house too and bring in a fresh young mind to take over the future of this team - maybe the extension is just a gift for making the team transition well. A VP job in his future...

FRO

Legend
I know the majority of people feel that Fisher should go. What is the feeling on Snead? I think the both need to go.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I agree but let's look closer at that

1. look at their freaked up transfer policy as an example of how they operate under Kroenke - they say they can't spend until they pay off the Emirites, but when the debt is paid they only buy Ozil and Sanchez after they supposedly have all those millions in the coffers - what is it like 200 million pounds? it's bullcrap to come out of this transfer window as an Arsenal fan with Mustafi, Perez (desperation buy) and Xhaka (can't replace Coquillan) - it's a joke. They should have swooped in on Higuan from day one, but dragged their feet. Meanwhile Man City, Man U, Chelsea, and even freaking Boro are stockpiling talent

A draw with PSG is all Arsenal fans have to look forward to, and the possibility Stan let's Wenger walk - but for who? Simone ?? Heck no, but Eddie Howe......

Look, the good news is that if Kroenke hires Eddie Howe, he may be looking to clean house too and bring in a fresh young mind to take over the future of this team - maybe the extension is just a gift for making the team transition well. A VP job in his future...

niiiiiice reply. let me reply later when im not at work. good stuff

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He has been an owner for the last 22 years and the majority owner for the last 6. How much time you going to give him to build the organization. The team was 7-9 in 2010. They'll be lucky to go 7-9 in 2016. They had 4 top 2 picks in that span. They have had 18 top 100 picks in the Fisher/Snead regime. How much rope does Kroenke get?

Fair question.

I think the "organization" is already built. They draft very well already, having hit on the Rookie of the Year for two years in a row which is downright remarkable, but they also have been shrewd with late rounders with guys like Gaines and the UDFA types too which demonstrate their scouting and player evaluation is up to snuff.

They executed a move with 3 facility changes very smoothly, with virtually every player having nothing but good things to say about it.

The coaching might need to be upgraded, but they have avoided being in that bottom rung of teams in spite of terrible quarterbacking. And this past year they did what they had to do to address QB. Do you think a top coach is going to turn his nose up to a backfield of Gurley and Goff with a young roster of OL in front of them? Sure the WRs need work, but coaches are going to want this job badly if it comes available.

The Rams used to be a team, under Georgia, that would never attract a top coach. But that has changed IMO. If and when Kroenke moves for a new coach he is going to have his pick, and because they are now one of the most desired places for a coach to work. Mark my words brother and feel free to bump this thread if I am wrong on that count.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
You lose a game 28-0 against a low to mediocre opponent and are rewarded an extension?

I can't believe it hasn't been said yet:
That's some 7-9 bullshit!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stop. He's been the majority owner for the last 6 years when they actually started to improve.
If you're going to blame him for what happened before then you also have to credit him for winning a Superbowl