Jared Goff Article from Mike Silver - Great Read

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I watched that pass from the 300 level and yeah man that particular throw from Jared hung in the air. It was weird how long it was in the air, I think it being a perception thing based on how big the moment was, but still it was clear he didn't fully step into it and gun it the way he can.

IMO what Jared did was make sure it was accurate. That he didn't miss, by taking a little off it and putting an arc on it. Which is sort of understandable in that moment, and I think it still should have been caught. But he does have the arm to get the ball there faster and could have, I just suspect he was being careful.

Video is above, my friend. He took a shuffle step to get his feet under him, fully stepped into it, and put some oomph on it. I'm sure he didn't throw everything he had into the ball because, as you said, he wanted to make sure he didn't overthrow Cooks. However, that ball was not hanging. It covered 47 yards in 2 seconds. Frankly, we were unlucky that was one of the two drives where we actually moved the ball. If Goff was throwing from his own 35 or 40 yard line, that's a TD. But being limited by the back of the end-zone gave McCourty just enough time to make a play.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

once that ball hit cooks in the hands it should have been a vice grip. he knew the defender was on him.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Hey, I’m not an experienced x’s and o’s guy, so if it wasn’t a major mistake by Goff, I’d be happy to eat crow and take jrry’s view instead of Baldy’s.

Obviously, on D it was a busted coverage.

But from the O’s perspective, was it a “busted play” as well? I.e., what McVay calls an “off schedule” throw? Because the timing of the play was obviously weird... in order to hit Cooks in stride, Goff would have had to release the ball BEFORE Cooks put his hand in the air, and therefore BEFORE it was obvious that the Pats’s safety blew his assignment by pinching down on Woods.

So... maybe it’s the case that the Pats had a busted coverage, but by the time Goff realized that, it was a split second too late.

So at this point, I don’t know what the hell to think about this play. By all means, I hope jrry is right and it was more about a great play from McCourty as opposed to slow recognition from Goff.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey, I’m not an experienced x’s and o’s guy, so if it wasn’t a major mistake by Goff, I’d be happy to eat crow and take jrry’s view instead of Baldy’s.

Obviously, on D it was a busted coverage.

But from the O’s perspective, was it a “busted play” as well? I.e., what McVay calls an “off schedule” throw? Because the timing of the play was obviously weird... in order to hit Cooks in stride, Goff would have had to release the ball BEFORE Cooks put his hand in the air, and therefore BEFORE it was obvious that the Pats’s safety blew his assignment by pinching down on Woods.

So... maybe it’s the case that the Pats had a busted coverage, but by the time Goff realized that, it was a split second too late.

So at this point, I don’t know what the hell to think about this play. By all means, I hope jrry is right and it was more about a great play from McCourty as opposed to slow recognition from Goff.

My take on the play is that Goff read the coverage correctly here. He was fooled a lot by NE, but here, he had it right. Woods was running the deep over against quarters coverage. Cooks was running what looks to be a skinny post. If Gilmore carries Cooks up the field, Goff can hit Woods underneath him. That appears to be Goff's plan.

However, what Goff realizes as Woods streaks across the middle of the field is that neither of the two safeties are dropping down the middle of the field. Instead, both made a mistake and are taking Woods. So, Goff shuffles to get his feet under him and steps into a throw for Cooks.

Basically, had the Patriots played it right, that ball is going to Woods. But because they played it wrong, Goff has to make a late adjustment to get it to Cooks. He can't make that adjustment until the bust happens. Because you don't typically throw a skinny post against quarters coverage.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My take on the play is that Goff read the coverage correctly here. He was fooled a lot by NE, but here, he had it right. Woods was running the deep over against quarters coverage. Cooks was running what looks to be a skinny post. If Gilmore carries Cooks up the field, Goff can hit Woods underneath him. That appears to be Goff's plan.

However, what Goff realizes as Woods streaks across the middle of the field is that neither of the two safeties are dropping down the middle of the field. Instead, both made a mistake and are taking Woods. So, Goff shuffles to get his feet under him and steps into a throw for Cooks.

Basically, had the Patriots played it right, that ball is going to Woods. But because they played it wrong, Goff has to make a late adjustment to get it to Cooks. He can't make that adjustment until the bust happens. Because you don't typically throw a skinny post against quarters coverage.
Thank you counselor.
We hereby rule is favor of the Defendant, Jared Goff.
Case closed
FeminineDistinctAidi-size_restricted.gif

dang

Legend
If Cooks hangs on to either one of his potential TD catches and we might have seen him take home the Super Bowl MVP trophy instead of that shifty bast’id Edelman.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Cooks hangs on to either one of his potential TD catches and we might have seen him take home the Super Bowl MVP trophy instead of that shifty bast’id Edelman.
2 separate 50/50 balls and we don't come down with either. Them's the breaks, just wasn't meant to be this year.

ramdonnie

UDFA
Other teams have tried it. They just couldn't stop us.

Yes, BB gets too much credit. Disguising defenses is an obvious approach, nothing new. His ability to teach his players to take cheap shots when the refs are out of the picture is something he really deserves credit for.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2 separate 50/50 balls and we don't come down with either. Them's the breaks, just wasn't meant to be this year.

Yep. If Cooks holds onto that gorgeous fade Goff threw, Goff is suddenly the hero of the game, especially if the defense gets a stop on Brady and we pull off a win.

ramdonnie

UDFA
To me key penalties and no-calls changed this game. I know it's getting redundant, but it's still very bothersome! I don't agree we were out-coached. D was good for both teams. I do believe refs stole this victory from us, just like in SB 36.

1. The first O play by Rams. Pats' lineman intentionally trips Gurley as he is bursting through the hole. A correct call on this blatant foul gives us a first down and a good start to the game.

Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 2.24.02 AM.png

2. The BS call on Roby-Coleman. Refs thinking, "We can't let the Rams pin Pats on the 15 yard line, they might have to punt from their end zone!" First of all, the guy had already turned around and was not defenseless and point 2, he wrapped him up with his arms.

Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 6.03.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 6.03.55 PM.png

3. Sullivan's phantom holding call on Gurley's 13-yard dash that had us in field goal range to take the lead. This call by ref's most likely took points off the board for us, and the lead. See Sullivan and Gurley's in the open field!

Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 6.01.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 6.01.38 PM.png

4. Point 4 is the Pat's scored a TD right after taking our lead away from the previous drive. Momentum would have been different at that time. Pats potentially do not score that TD.

5. Goff makes perfect pass to Cooks for TD and PI not called. Game would have been tied, and Rams would be in lead if #3 above did not occur.

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 2.32.24 AM.png

6. Goff never throws a pick because we already scored our TD. Pats do not take ball back for another 3 points.

Those to me are the main turn arounds by the refs, but there are others.

1. Cooks clearly face masked. We should have been given a 1st down. See the play and Cooks's WTF response. Remember, the Pats were given 4 first downs by the refs, we only got 1.

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 2.00.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 1.59.10 AM.png

2. Cooks makes a first down here or is a few inches short, but refs spot the ball 2 yards short, and we did not make it on 3rd and 2. Again, refs stopping our drives. See where he catches it and where they spot it.

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 2.14.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 2.16.02 AM.png

3. Pats grab Goff's legs to lift him up and drill him into the ground. 15 yards. AD got away with one too, but the Pats hit our QB late and illegally many times, so I figured I would point this one out.

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 2.13.10 AM.png

4. Pats blocking our receivers beyond 5 yards. Refs called ticky-tack plays on us, but not on Pats.

Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 2.02.05 AM.png

5. During a sack, Pats push Gurley in back. We could have been given a first down here instead of ending another drive.

Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 3.02.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 3.03.31 AM.png

Last, you see McVay's "WHAT??????" when we get a bogus call.

Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 1.56.15 AM.png

I know Rams did not play perfectly, and they got away with a few calls, but not many that I noticed. Am I wrong to think refs changed this game? They took 10 off the board for us, at least IMO and helped the Pats score some of theirs. I really think if this was fair, we would have won. This is the second time Pats stole a Super Bowl from us.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Am I wrong to think refs changed this game?

Not going to win many games scoring only 3 points. Blame the officials if you want, but Rams D and special teams kept giving the offense another chance, and the offense kept doing nothing with it.

ramdonnie

UDFA
Not going to win many games scoring only 3 points. Blame the officials if you want, but Rams D and special teams kept giving the offense another chance, and the offense kept doing nothing with it.

I don't agree. My point is, they only scored 3 because of the refs and the Pats points were inflated. If Rams hold Gronk's arm, what happens? Pats get PI and score anyway.

Pats consistently benefit from the refs. Look at historical penalty stats.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I don't agree. My point is, they only scored 3 because of the refs and the Pats points were inflated. If Rams hold Gronk's arm, what happens? Pats get PI and score anyway.

Rams benefited themselves big time by a certain no call in a critical point of a NFC Championship Game. Do I attribute that and that alone to the Rams winning the game, like nothing else happened? No.

Rams were outplayed and out schemed. No other honest interpretation exists.

ramdonnie

UDFA
Rams benefited themselves big time by a certain no call in a critical point of a NFC Championship Game. Do I attribute that and that alone to the Rams winning the game, like nothing else happened? No.

Rams were outplayed and out schemed. No other honest interpretation exists.
That is another game and another discussion, already discussed. Saints got away with numerous other penalties in that game and there was hands to the face on Donald on the same play, so there could have been offsetting penalties if you want to call it correctly. Goff was facemasked, and Rams would have gotten 7, not 3, etc. Cooks was also face masked. Saints had 2 delay of games not called, holding on a field goal no-call, false start on Brees called on Rams, pulled Cooks down 2x during game, the list goes on and on.

That is not to mention the HECKER BAD CALL, which helped Saints win the first match, nor the Steelers PI called, which helped them win that game. Championship game should have gone the LA this year.

Anyway, I hope they take more steps this offseason to improve the game calls. Many fans are unhappy about it.

Last edited:

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Penalties exist on pretty much every snap in the NFL, against both teams, if you look hard enough. The Rams could have easily won this Super Bowl, but they didn't make the key plays at the key moments. The Patriots did. That's really all there is to it. Blaming the refs is nothing but an excuse. I agree that the Patriots had the advantage from the referees, but really, that wasn't the reason for the outcome of the game. Also, the Pats having an advance in penalties is to be expected at this point. Rather than cry about it, the Rams should have taken the game out of the refs' hands by outplaying their opposition. They failed to do so. New England was full value for their win. Which is frustrating, because this game was there for the taking all night,

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Given that he only has to say it 3-4 times a year, I think he has a lot of use left in that one. It's not like we're 8-8 with the defense bailing us out all the time and atrocious clock management costing us games.

I find it really weird that people have so little patience for those that own up to their mistakes. It was the same way in the Army. My bosses loved the guys that fight back and argued about how crap wasn't their fault, but had no patience for me when I admitted I screwed up and told them my plan to prevent it from happening again.

In the first 2 years people had a lot of patience for Fisher and nothing ever changed, but they're already tired of hearing McVay own up to his mistakes while he's mostly successful and does show progress. It's bizarre.
I didn't mean to make it sound like I was out of patience. I'm not.

Like I've said, teams have a model on how to beat the Rams offense.

He'll need to come up with some very different looks during the off season. Based on all I've seen and read, I'm sure he's already hard at work doing just that.

There's still so much talent on this team... in the losses, I felt like we just didn't utilize all of it enough.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It doesn't matter. We need to overcome the refs. We could have and failed to do that.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
It doesn't matter. We need to overcome the refs. We could have and failed to do that.

I would agree. Trying to be as objective as I can, when watching the game I never got the feeling the Rams were better. It just had to overall feel that the other team was better. Even though we were tied in the second half, I felt we were outplayed during the game and probably fortunate we weren't trailing.

I know the holding on Sullivan was a bad call. But would that mean we woulda won? The way we were playing on offense I have my doubts. Rams got beat because they played poorly on offense. Pretty simple explanation. And I doubt we'd get any sympathy if people tried to make ref mistakes an issue.