Jared Goff Article from Mike Silver - Great Read

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here’s a Baldy Breakdown of Goff being late to see a WIDE OPEN Cooks.

Goff’s worst play of the game.

Parental advisory—explicit mistake:

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1092464567630876673

I watched this play on coach's film, and there's a reason he doesn't show the full All-22. It undermines the bullshit faux outrage. This is the same angle from coach's film, but you can actually see the QB from the first angle. When you see the QB, you recognize that Goff wasn't sitting there with his thumb up his ass. Goff is AT MOST a split second late on the throw. The defenders bite down on Woods, Goff takes a shuffle step, and then steps into the throw. That split second is enough time for him to process what just happened.

They ran quarters coverage. That means Goff can't assume the post will be open. If both defenders don't screw up and bite on Woods running the deep over route, Cooks is covered. That means Goff can't know Cooks will be open until the defenders blow the coverage. If you watch the All-22, there is very little hesitation from Goff. As I said, there is just enough time for him to see it and process it before he steps into the throw. Goff can't rush the throw. It's 45 yards in the air. He has to step into it or else he risks it coming up short or floating in the air like a dead duck.

Jason McCourty made a hell of a play. He spotted the blown coverage. He busted his ass to get down field, and he hit Cooks' arm right after the ball hit Cooks' hands. Now, Cooks could have caught that ball. It was a difficult catch, but it was catchable. Goff could have released the ball a split second earlier, but human reaction time is imperfect. Simply put, you just have to tip your hat to McCourty for making the play.

All of the bloviating from Baldinger is bullshit. Cooks had to wait on the throw because he was already 25 yards down the field running at full speed when the bust happened. In this case, our closeness to the end-zone (relatively) actually worked against us. Had we been on our own 35 instead of the Patriots' 35, Goff can throw that sucker and let Cooks keep running. McCourty ain't catching him. But because Goff can't throw it out of the end-zone, McCourty doesn't have to make up as much ground. Goff has to throw it 45 yards in the air (but can't throw it any farther). Cooks was already 25 yards down the field running at full speed. Of course he's going to have to wait on the ball.

ramdonnie

UDFA
Not great stats, but good enough that they confirm the decision to give Gurley so few carries made zero sense (if he was healthy enough to perform capably). Especially considering that he had one nice run called back on a bogus penalty flag, and two of his lesser runs came when we were backed up. The game was close throughout. There was no reason to be so pass heavy, especially when you want to run play action all night, and giving Goff easy options on a night he was struggling would have been beneficial. RBs often need carries to get into a rhythm, too. A carry every 3 or 4 series is not a good way to put your back in a position to excel.

Yes, it was a tie game until 7 mins remaining. Why not run the ball when Gurley was averaging about 4.5 yards per carry? 4.5 x 4 = 18. We only need 10 yards for a first down. Even though the game was so close, McVay panicked and got pass-happy. The Pats kept running and broke a few really late in the game as our D got tired, too bad we did not do the same.

ramdonnie

UDFA
I just watched the game again, and Goff did better than he gets credit for. Yes, he missed some receivers, but he did some good things too, but our receivers did not come through.

He made a perfect pass on 3rd and 10 with 8 mins left in the 2nd Q. If 83 Reynolds could have held on to this pass he made under pressure, then we would have had a 1st down on the 15 yard line.

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 2.53.37 AM.png

In this next image below, you'll see the Cooks was very close to the first down when he caught the ball (another nice play by Goff), but the refs gave us a bad spot. The ball is in his hand in this blurry image, which shows his forward progress.

It should have been 3rd and inches, but they made it 3rd and 2 and we didn't make it and had to punt.

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 2.14.45 AM.png

In this next image you can see where they spotted the ball. I'm surprised McVay did not challenge the spot.

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 2.16.02 AM.png

Next was a sack that could have been roughing the passer. Pats' 54 picks up Goff's legs (see his left arm) and drills Goff into the ground. Goff took a beating, but he stayed in the pocket to make some good passes for much of the game.

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 2.13.10 AM.png

In the next image you'll see a helmet/face mask tackle on Cooks that was not called. Why do the Pats consistently get treated differently than other teams? If you look at historical penalty data, they are not treated the same.

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 1.58.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 2.00.11 AM.png

Next, you'll see Cooks' WTF reaction by the no-call, but ref just ignores him.

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 1.59.10 AM.png

Then, we all know Goff made a great TD pass, but #24, Gilmore again (same guy who face-masked Cooks earlier), holds Cook's arm. This pass would have tied the game.

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 2.33.28 AM.png

So, Goff made some good passes to change the game, but our receivers did not come through. There was PI before Reynolds' miss, but he still got both hands on it. There was PI on Cooks TD pass too, but the point is, Goff made 2 great passes here. Either would have changed the game if caught or if the refs called the PI. Goff did his part in this game.

He still has a lot to learn and he'll do better as he gains experience, but he did pretty good for the youngest QB to play a Super Bowl.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I watched this play on coach's film, and there's a reason he doesn't show the full All-22. It undermines the bullcrap faux outrage. This is the same angle from coach's film, but you can actually see the QB from the first angle. When you see the QB, you recognize that Goff wasn't sitting there with his thumb up his ass. Goff is AT MOST a split second late on the throw. The defenders bite down on Woods, Goff takes a shuffle step, and then steps into the throw. That split second is enough time for him to process what just happened.

They ran quarters coverage. That means Goff can't assume the post will be open. If both defenders don't screw up and bite on Woods running the deep over route, Cooks is covered. That means Goff can't know Cooks will be open until the defenders blow the coverage. If you watch the All-22, there is very little hesitation from Goff. As I said, there is just enough time for him to see it and process it before he steps into the throw. Goff can't rush the throw. It's 45 yards in the air. He has to step into it or else he risks it coming up short or floating in the air like a dead duck.

Jason McCourty made a hell of a play. He spotted the blown coverage. He busted his ass to get down field, and he hit Cooks' arm right after the ball hit Cooks' hands. Now, Cooks could have caught that ball. It was a difficult catch, but it was catchable. Goff could have released the ball a split second earlier, but human reaction time is imperfect. Simply put, you just have to tip your hat to McCourty for making the play.

All of the bloviating from Baldinger is bullcrap. Cooks had to wait on the throw because he was already 25 yards down the field running at full speed when the bust happened. In this case, our closeness to the end-zone (relatively) actually worked against us. Had we been on our own 35 instead of the Patriots' 35, Goff can throw that sucker and let Cooks keep running. McCourty ain't catching him. But because Goff can't throw it out of the end-zone, McCourty doesn't have to make up as much ground. Goff has to throw it 45 yards in the air (but can't throw it any farther). Cooks was already 25 yards down the field running at full speed. Of course he's going to have to wait on the ball.

Great breakdown.

But that doesn't explain why he didn't put the ball on a rope. We've all seen him throw lasers before.

Anyway you've made me feel a little better. Thanks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great breakdown.

But that doesn't explain why he didn't put the ball on a rope. We've all seen him throw lasers before.

The ball didn't hang. Again, it's 45 yards in the air. Few QBs have the arm to throw a frozen rope there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The OL didn't give Goff a chance and Brady would have faltered under same circumstances...

Brady's stat line was pretty bad. And protections were there for him.

Great defense limits great QBs. We see it every year. Offense gets you in but defense gets you playoff wins.

Ellard80

Legend
The ball didn't hang. Again, it's 45 yards in the air. Few QBs have the arm to throw a frozen rope there.

That ball did not come out well - it fluttered and Goff certainly has the arm to throw a rope that far. It looks to me like at the last second he realized how wide Cooks is and kind of decelerates and aims it.

But there were some other plays where his receivers could have done a much better job of catching and attacking the ball. Woods can make contested catches well....

Cooks and Reynolds need to work on that part of their game.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That ball did not come out well - it fluttered and Goff certainly has the arm to throw a rope that far. It looks to me like at the last second he realized how wide Cooks is and kind of decelerates and aims it.

That's not what I saw.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One other noteworthy thing is that Belichick was using dummy calls for the defense before the snap with them not settling into their actual defensive look until right after the snap. It was a brilliant plan. It had us confused all night.
Very smart of Bellicheat. But that's why he has so many rings.
This is something McVay and Goff will need to work on all off-season. It's common knowledge about the play calling before 15 seconds.
Frankly, I'm surprised no one else had thought of what Bellicheat did.
At some point, Goff will have to be able to make those dajustments on the fly... I think he does some of that now... but he'll need to get even better. Every HC that plays defense against the Rams in 2019 now has a pretty solid body of work on how to stop the Rams offense. McVay has officially been challenged.

McVay has something Martz didn't though - humility.
McVay on the other hand is a guy who is humble enough to look at his mistakes and tries to learn from them.
I love mcvay...but this issue has been a recurring one and I dont understand why. I hope he fixes it because it cost the team games...important ones.

Yeah, he's no Martz (thank God).
And it's great that he takes full accountability. But, the "I failed the team. I did not put them in a position to win. I have to do better" will only work for so long.
He'll have to do better... he'll have to become the new Bellichick... outsmarting all the other HCs in the league. He's not there yet.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is something McVay and Goff will need to work on all off-season. It's common knowledge about the play calling before 15 seconds.
At some point, Goff will have to be able to make those dajustments on the fly... I think he does some of that now... but he'll need to get even better. Every HC that plays defense against the Rams in 2019 now has a pretty solid body of work on how to stop the Rams offense. McVay has officially been challenged.

And it's great that he takes full accountability. But, the "I failed the team. I did not put them in a position to win. I have to do better" will only work for so long.
He'll have to do better... he'll have to become the new Bellichick... outsmarting all the other HCs in the league. He's not there yet.

Other teams have tried it. They just couldn't stop us.

ramdonnie

UDFA
Great breakdown.

He also could have led Cooks to the left of the end zone, away from the defender. He'll learn.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He also could have led Cooks to the left of the end zone, away from the defender. He'll learn.

Stephon Gilmore was to the left. The middle was wide open.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

Given that he only has to say it 3-4 times a year, I think he has a lot of use left in that one. It's not like we're 8-8 with the defense bailing us out all the time and atrocious clock management costing us games.

I find it really weird that people have so little patience for those that own up to their mistakes. It was the same way in the Army. My bosses loved the guys that fight back and argued about how shit wasn't their fault, but had no patience for me when I admitted I screwed up and told them my plan to prevent it from happening again.

In the first 2 years people had a lot of patience for Fisher and nothing ever changed, but they're already tired of hearing McVay own up to his mistakes while he's mostly successful and does show progress. It's bizarre.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Love our quarterback in Goff, and love (most) posts from jrry.

But on this particular play, hard to see how it isn’t anything but a big mistake on Goff’s part.

QB has perfect protection, Completely busted coverage, WR waving his hands, then WR comes to full stop, takes a step back, then a second step back, then a third, a fourth, fifth, sixth, and finally a seventh step back... all while waiting for the ball in the end zone.

IMHO, Goff was way more than “a split second late” recognizing a wide open Cooks. I’m sure Goff absolutely hates watching this on replay, as we all do...

Last edited:

dang

Legend
Goff did not have a very good game. I recall 4-5 balls that fluttered including the one to Cooks in the end zone. I don't have as much problem with him releasing the pass a bit late but that it hung in the air too long allowing the defender to catch up to it. That will be the play that I will always wonder "What If?". Rams go up 7-3 with the first TD of the game and we have momentum, confidence and the lead in a tight defensive battle.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

But on this particular play, hard to see how it isn’t anything but a big mistake on Goff’s part.

QB has perfect protection, Completely busted coverage, WR waving his hands, then WR comes to full stop, takes a step back, then a second step back, then a third, a fourth, fifth, sixth, and finally a seventh step back... all while waiting for the ball in the end zone.

IMHO, Goff was way more than “a split second late” recognizing a wide open Cooks. I’m sure Goff absolutely hates watching this on replay, as we all do...

I can't see the wide view of the play but looking at that baldy video cooks was open at the 10. By the time Goff could see that and throw the ball cooks would have been at the 5. You could see on the head on shot that by the time cooks was in the endzone the ball was half way there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I am happy to prove it. I'll show you some screenshots from All-22:
Cooks-1.png

Here, you see the coverage bust right as it is happening. Cooks realizes that both safeties are jumping on Woods' deep over route. Goff is standing on the hash.
Cooks-2.png

As you see, Goff has taken one shuffle step off of the hash and is in the process of preparing to step into the throw.
Cooks-3.png

Goff is now in the midst of his throwing motion. I circled Jason McCourty and where the ball hit Cooks in the hands.

Now, Brandin Cooks ran a 4.3 40 coming out of college. At the point in the play where the coverage busts, Cooks is already at full speed. Now, assuming he's slightly slower in pads, he can likely cover 10 yards in about a second at full speed. From the point where the coverage bust happens to the point where Goff starts stepping into the throw, Cooks covered about 5 yards. That means that at most, it took Goff a half second to react. But I don't think that's even accurate as Goff took a shuffle step to allow him to get his body in proper position before throwing.

As for the people who claim that Goff threw an ugly ball that hung in the air and fluttered:

Yeah, that ball wasn't hanging in the air. That's 47 yards in the air in two seconds. This is why I called out Baldinger's over-the-top bullshit. Also, the video gives you an additional reference point. Watch Goff from when he's standing directly on the hash (when the bust happens) to when he starts to step into his throw. You'll see that there is at most a split second between the coverage bust and Goff stepping into the throw.

I already explained why it seemed like Goff was so late. I already explained why Cooks had to wait on the ball.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That's not what I saw.

I watched that pass from the 300 level and yeah man that particular throw from Jared hung in the air. It was weird how long it was in the air, I think it being a perception thing based on how big the moment was, but still it was clear he didn't fully step into it and gun it the way he can.

IMO what Jared did was make sure it was accurate. That he didn't miss, by taking a little off it and putting an arc on it. Which is sort of understandable in that moment, and I think it still should have been caught. But he does have the arm to get the ball there faster and could have, I just suspect he was being careful.