Jared Goff Article from Mike Silver - Great Read

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Personally I am more worried about Sean McVay than Goff. He gets a bit like Martz and falls in love with the pass game and forgets we have TG3.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Personally I am more worried about Sean McVay than Goff. He gets a bit like Martz and falls in love with the pass game and forgets we have TG3.

McVay has something Martz didn't though - humility. Martz would double down on his mistakes in an effort to prove that they weren't just that. McVay on the other hand is a guy who is humble enough to look at his mistakes and tries to learn from them.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
McVay has something Martz didn't though - humility. Martz would double down on his mistakes in an effort to prove that they weren't just that. McVay on the other hand is a guy who is humble enough to look at his mistakes and tries to learn from them.
Does mcvay really though?
He has had a issue with abandoning the run game since his days in Washington.
I love mcvay...but this issue has been a recurring one and I dont understand why. I hope he fixes it because it cost the team games...important ones.

Poppinfresh

Rookie
Jared's gonna be fine. The biggest thing he needs to work on is his tunnel vision. This offense basically ran through Kupp before he got hurt. Insert Reynolds into Kupp's spot and, even though Josh is clearly the worst receiver on the field, Goff still tries to run the offense through him because of that tunnel vision.

Woods was getting open last night (as he usually does). The problem is, Jared never noticed because Jared was always getting the snap and thinking "Reynolds, Reynolds, Rey...crap, gotta run!" all night. You can see it - for whatever reason, Kupp's role in the playbook is Goff's safety blanket, and he doesn't want to give it up.

It's no surprise that's how it went down last night. It's been going on all season. What Woods has generated in spite of being given almost nothing all year is nothing short of amazing, but that trust just never seems to develop w/ Goff. Cooks is as steady as can be, but Jared still just...just really wants that binky.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I won't copy and paste the whole article. I recommend y'all read it. It's a great look into Goff's mind after the game:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...goff-shoulders-blame-for-offensive-ineptitude

However, this statement stuck with me:
"I'd like to play better in a moment like this," he said, his eyes glistening with distress. "And I will be better because of it. I'll try to learn from it, and process it, and get better moving forward. I understand all that.

"But it's pretty tough to think about right now, because we had a great opportunity, and we didn't capitalize on it. It's my job to lead us. I didn't get it done, and it sucks."

The NFL is in for a world of hurt moving forward. I remember Goff's words after our final game in 2016. He promised that he would be better because of the 0-7 start and terrible play. He promised that this team would take that failure and use it to drive them to success. He delivered. I fully expect Goff to deliver again. He's going to take this loss and use it to motivate himself to come back even stronger next year.

I also found this explanation to be interesting:
"Obviously, I should have thrown it away," he said. "I knew it was 'zero' -- of course I did -- but I thought I could make a play. I didn't realize Gilmore was staring at me, and I threw too early. I put it in a bad spot. It was dumb. It was stupid. I will learn from it. But it really hurts right now."

This is the difference between a 41 year old vet like Brady and a 24 year old kid like Goff. Goff wants to make the big play. Brady knows to live to play another down. That's something that experience will teach Jared. This kid isn't even close to his prime. We've got our guy moving forward.
Great frickin’ post, jrry. Thank you.

Edit: great frickin’ story from Silver, too. It’s easy to root for Goff. Here’s hoping that when his ultimate moment of redemption comes, it will be all the more sweet because of this heartbreaking loss.

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Peyton Manning was one and done 9 times in 15 playoff appearances including his first three trips there. Nobody here should worry at all about Jared, let the process happen! His first three games in his playoff career were bad.

19-42 227 0-0
17-32 194 1-0
14-31 137 0-2

Absolute trash!
Agreed... Peyton and Elway each had “only” 2 SB victories (late in their careers), yet they are both considered legends. Many seem to forget that Goff should have another 15 to 18 years left.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jared's gonna be fine. The biggest thing he needs to work on is his tunnel vision. This offense basically ran through Kupp before he got hurt. Insert Reynolds into Kupp's spot and, even though Josh is clearly the worst receiver on the field, Goff still tries to run the offense through him because of that tunnel vision.

Woods was getting open last night (as he usually does). The problem is, Jared never noticed because Jared was always getting the snap and thinking "Reynolds, Reynolds, Rey...crap, gotta run!" all night. You can see it - for whatever reason, Kupp's role in the playbook is Goff's safety blanket, and he doesn't want to give it up.

It's no surprise that's how it went down last night. It's been going on all season. What Woods has generated in spite of being given almost nothing all year is nothing short of amazing, but that trust just never seems to develop w/ Goff. Cooks is as steady as can be, but Jared still just...just really wants that binky.
Well, Woods was targeted 10 times and Reynolds 7, so I’m not seeing how RW was ignored.
And on the season, Woods had a career high, and team leading 130 targets.
So I think he and Goff have pretty good mojo.

NorthBayRam

Socially Distorted
Name
Peter
I lovelJared Goff and velibel he willwbe aaHOFer one day. But to be fair he has been in this league 3 years, plus x any of years of college. He has spent a bunch of years studying this stuff and playing in most circumstances you can think of.

It was imperative of Jared to have figured out by this game that the Pats were going to blitz and at times heavily 6/7 man blitzes. He dhosho gave had this figured out how to deal with it and NOT get rattled. He did not need to contend with noise like in NO and he dealt with goig to great defenses with Chicago, Philly, NO, Dallas, and Detroit. He should have come up with a plan when his OL let's him down.

To think we were tied or only down by 3 for most of the game and NOT figuring out how to combat the Pats Defense is not very SMART football IQ to me considering this is the MAIN issue he and Sean needed to to address on Offense if it happened and yes the Pats blitzed 41% of the time yesterday.

The OL didn't give Goff a chance and Brady would have faltered under same circumstances...

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Gotta love the will of Goff. He'll prove that this loss didn't break him or the team. Hell, I guaran-fucking-tee you that we'll be back multiple times, including next year. Book it.

ramdonnie

UDFA
Goff did not see all the open receivers, but he was under duress most of the night. 4 sacks and how many hits? If Brady was under the same pressure, he would have been just as bad or worse. I believe an analyst stated Brady only completes 33% of his passes under pressure. Brady runs slow as death. Goff is a better scrambler. Brady fumbled and tossed an INT with much less pressure on the day. If our rush was better, we would have had the same result as they did.

Even though our OL fell apart, Goff still delivered the tying TD pass, so he did come through, but Cooks' arm was held, and he did not make a one-armed grab. Our players are too humble. They should show some emotion to get some calls.

If you watch the discussion with Skip Bayless, he stated that flag should have been thrown. What if it was and we won the game? Would they still be dragging Goff and McVay through the mud? Would Rams' fans have a different opinion of Goff? We would have tied that game with 4 minutes to go.

The big question is why were we not able to block. Why did we not run the ball? Goff certainly was not his usual self, but he was hit late all day, thrown to the ground, got his head slammed, hit out of bounds - not even Brady would have done better in that situation. Brady sucks in that environment. Most QBs do.

Here are some images of the PI no-call. Maybe we should sue the NFL also. lol.

You can see Cooks' left arm was not able to get to the ball, too bad he could not one-hand it.

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 2.32.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 2.32.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 2.32.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 2.33.28 AM.png

ramdonnie

UDFA
Here is a different angle and you can see his "BLUE" hand up on Cooks' wrist as the ball is arriving. Note his body angle to reach in so far with his arm.

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 3.18.06 AM.png

After Cooks drops it, he lets go and his arm in an upward motion. I think he was pulling his left arm up as the ball arrived because you can see in the other images that Cooks could not bring his left hand downward to catch the ball.

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 3.19.20 AM.png

tempests

Hall of Fame
The big question is why were we not able to block. Why did we not run the ball? Goff certainly was not his usual self, but he was hit late all day, thrown to the ground, got his head slammed, hit out of bounds - not even Brady would have done better in that situation. Brady sucks in that environment. Most QBs do.

New England stunts and twists at the line frustrated a normally disciplined Rams oline and they put extra defenders in the box to stifle the ground game. They could also blitz as much as they wanted because the Rams never made them pay.

Belichick remains adept at exploiting the vulnerabilities of young QBs, as he has throughout his entire coaching career. Goff didn't recognize where the pressure was coming from and he took too long to process what NEs defense was showing him.

Cooks drop at the end was a missed opportunity but the Rams had only 57 yards of offense in the first half, went 0 for their first 8 on 3rd downs and didn't run a single play from inside the red zone. Their D outplayed our O, from beginning to end.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Here are some images of the PI no-call.

You can see Cooks' left arm was not able to get to the ball, too bad he could not one-hand it.

View attachment 28429View attachment 28430View attachment 28431View attachment 28432

Yeah, after seeing those stills, I can understand now why McVay’s postgame comments weren’t about taking accountability— he was all focused on that one no-call on PI, and now everyone is complaining about that one play, and it’s created a media firestorm, and now the Governor of California is demanding that the game be replayed because of that one non-call.

ramdonnie

UDFA
Yeah, after seeing those stills, I can understand now why McVay’s postgame comments weren’t about taking accountability— he was all focused on that one no-call on PI, and now everyone is complaining about that one play, and it’s created a media firestorm, and now the Governor of California is demanding that the game be replayed because of that one non-call.

Yes, we should all sign a petition for a rematch, and join the Saints vs NFL lawsuit, hehe.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Does mcvay really though?
He has had a issue with abandoning the run game since his days in Washington.
I love mcvay...but this issue has been a recurring one and I dont understand why. I hope he fixes it because it cost the team games...important ones.

What would you have done? Running up the middle wasn't going to happen because of the way they countered our ZBS. The best way to counter it would have been sweeps and pitches to Gurley ... who was limping. CJ can't run those plays, he's a between the tackles guy. Simply put, there was just not going to be much of a run game for us given NE's defensive gameplan, which was about as perfect as it could have been for our offense, and without Kupp, the passing game wasn't going to be as effective.

Further, if you look at the games this year where he "abandoned the run", there is a common thread in them - they all occurred after Gurley was hurt. There isn't one game prior to that this past season where Gurley was at full health where McVay abandoned the run or otherwise forgot about Todd in the gameplan. There were certainly games where we passed more than we ran, but in those games it was party because we were getting chunk plays, moving the ball, and scoring points. But when it wasn't working as well (e.g., at Detroit, at Denver), McVay showed plenty of willingness to rely on the run game ... not to mention the playoffs against Dallas where McVay passed only sparingly, instead choosing a ground and pound attack.

The guy is not Mike Martz. He learns from his mistakes, and he's not afraid to run the ball. What happened Sunday wasn't a case of the same thing that happened when Martz coached in a Super Bowl, abandoning the run against a D that was making little effort to stop it and sold out against the pass while his #1 back was fully healthy. Not even close.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The OL didn't give Goff a chance and Brady would have faltered under same circumstances...
THANK YOU X1,000,000! Thread winner and post of the year IMHO. Goff got killed back there and still got back up time after time, like a man, and went for it again. Big cajones from Goff. I'm proud of him even in defeat.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Here is a different angle and you can see his "BLUE" hand up on Cooks' wrist as the ball is arriving. Note his body angle to reach in so far with his arm.

View attachment 28433

After Cooks drops it, he lets go and his arm in an upward motion. I think he was pulling his left arm up as the ball arrived because you can see in the other images that Cooks could not bring his left hand downward to catch the ball.

View attachment 28434

Cooks definitely had his arm barred. It was defensive PI. A few talking heads have already mentioned it. But you're nuts if you think they are going to call that in the Super Bowl. Which is what makes the BS calls on Gurley's big run, and NRC's tackle for loss that would have led to us getting the ball back, so infuriating. Doubly so as those calls were at big moments in the game. But all of that aside, we had countless opportunities to win this game - and Cooks should have been able to make at least one of his two non-catches regardless if he wants to be considered a bonafide #1 WR. Blaming the refs is nothing but an excuse, and a poor one at that.