Jared Goff Article from Mike Silver - Great Read

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I won't copy and paste the whole article. I recommend y'all read it. It's a great look into Goff's mind after the game:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...goff-shoulders-blame-for-offensive-ineptitude

However, this statement stuck with me:
"I'd like to play better in a moment like this," he said, his eyes glistening with distress. "And I will be better because of it. I'll try to learn from it, and process it, and get better moving forward. I understand all that.

"But it's pretty tough to think about right now, because we had a great opportunity, and we didn't capitalize on it. It's my job to lead us. I didn't get it done, and it sucks."

The NFL is in for a world of hurt moving forward. I remember Goff's words after our final game in 2016. He promised that he would be better because of the 0-7 start and terrible play. He promised that this team would take that failure and use it to drive them to success. He delivered. I fully expect Goff to deliver again. He's going to take this loss and use it to motivate himself to come back even stronger next year.

I also found this explanation to be interesting:
"Obviously, I should have thrown it away," he said. "I knew it was 'zero' -- of course I did -- but I thought I could make a play. I didn't realize Gilmore was staring at me, and I threw too early. I put it in a bad spot. It was dumb. It was stupid. I will learn from it. But it really hurts right now."

This is the difference between a 41 year old vet like Brady and a 24 year old kid like Goff. Goff wants to make the big play. Brady knows to live to play another down. That's something that experience will teach Jared. This kid isn't even close to his prime. We've got our guy moving forward.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Dude. He’s been exposed to NFL defenses for 2 1/2 years. He should already have a bronze bust of his likeness pre-cast and waiting in a warehouse in Canton somewhere.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dude. He’s been exposed to NFL defenses for 2 1/2 years. He should already have a bronze bust made of his likeness pre-cast and waiting in a warehouse in Canton somewhere.

The thing that makes me laugh is how many people are basically treating Goff like he's a bum. Here are Peyton Manning's first two playoff starts against Belichick and New England:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200401180nwe.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200501160nwe.htm

And Manning was 27 and 28 years old at that time. Here's Ben Roethlisberger's first Super Bowl:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200602050pit.htm

His numbers are even worse than Goff's. Of course, nobody remembers because Pittsburgh won. Ben was a few months younger then than Goff is now. It's extraordinarily difficult to play well as a young QB in the Super Bowl. However, the good thing about this is that it's a learning experience for Goff. He gets to come back stronger next time for having experienced this already.

The other thing worth mentioning is that it's crazy how different the narrative could have been if Cooks catches that TD. Goff doesn't throw the Int on the next play. Goff ties the game at 10 with an absolutely gorgeous throw in crunch time. Maybe we get the stop. Maybe Goff leads us down for the game-winning FG or TD. Gronk made the big-time catch when NE needed it, and unfortunately, Cooks didn't when we needed it.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I lovelJared Goff and velibel he willwbe aaHOFer one day. But to be fair he has been in this league 3 years, plus x any of years of college. He has spent a bunch of years studying this stuff and playing in most circumstances you can think of.

It was imperative of Jared to have figured out by this game that the Pats were going to blitz and at times heavily 6/7 man blitzes. He dhosho gave had this figured out how to deal with it and NOT get rattled. He did not need to contend with noise like in NO and he dealt with goig to great defenses with Chicago, Philly, NO, Dallas, and Detroit. He should have come up with a plan when his OL let's him down.

To think we were tied or only down by 3 for most of the game and NOT figuring out how to combat the Pats Defense is not very SMART football IQ to me considering this is the MAIN issue he and Sean needed to to address on Offense if it happened and yes the Pats blitzed 41% of the time yesterday.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The thing that makes me laugh is how many people are basically treating Goff like he's a bum. Here are Peyton Manning's first two playoff starts against Belichick and New England:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200401180nwe.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200501160nwe.htm

And Manning was 27 and 28 years old at that time. Here's Ben Roethlisberger's first Super Bowl:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200602050pit.htm

His numbers are even worse than Goff's. Of course, nobody remembers because Pittsburgh won. Ben was a few months younger then than Goff is now. It's extraordinarily difficult to play well as a young QB in the Super Bowl. However, the good thing about this is that it's a learning experience for Goff. He gets to come back stronger next time for having experienced this already.

Exactly. I mentioned some related things about Manning on the other Goff thread for people who are completely losing all perspective and sanity over what transpired yesterday relative to the point where Goff is at in his career right now:

Some of you people ragging Goff are beyond ridiculous.

Peyton Fcking Manning LOST his first 3 playoff games, including a 41-0 shellacking by the NY Jets, and didn't finally get a playoff win until his 5th season, despite having a great surrounding cast. His first two times against Belichek were losses as well, including a 20-3 loss. That's an undisputed HOF QB there, and yet it took 5 seasons before he even got a playoff win, and took **9** (that's NINE) before he finally got to a Super Bowl.

Goff led the team to the NFC Championship - in a hostile environment, without one of his best WR's, and with the Rams franchise RB hobbled and benched - in just his THIRD season.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude. He’s been exposed to NFL defenses for 2 1/2 years. He should already have a bronze bust of his likeness pre-cast and waiting in a warehouse in Canton somewhere.
Don't mock me, Dude. I already got my speech almost ready! ~Jared Freakin Goff[

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Not only that but he's a SyStEm QuArTeRbAcK that needs McVay to hold his hand during the game. He should be able to read defenses just like Brady who has 19 years of NFL experience. What a bum.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I lovelJared Goff and velibel he willwbe aaHOFer one day. But to be fair he has been in this league 3 years, plus x any of years of college. He has spent a bunch of years studying this stuff and playing in most circumstances you can think of.

It was imperative of Jared to have figured out by this game that the Pats were going to blitz and at times heavily 6/7 man blitzes. He dhosho gave had this figured out how to deal with it and NOT get rattled. He did not need to contend with noise like in NO and he dealt with goig to great defenses with Chicago, Philly, NO, Dallas, and Detroit. He should have come up with a plan when his OL let's him down.

To think we were tied or only down by 3 for most of the game and NOT figuring out how to combat the Pats Defense is not very SMART football IQ to me considering this is the MAIN issue he and Sean needed to to address on Offense if it happened and yes the Pats blitzed 41% of the time yesterday.
College experience can't be factored in to defense reading experience. There's tons of college QBs that can't do anything in the NFL. All those years reading defenses doesn't help. That's why the draft is a crap shoot. That's also why QBs come in crappy and get better as they go along.

And let's not pretend that anyone on Fisher's staff could help him learn how to read defenses. I wouldn't be surprised if Fisher tried to take that over himself and told him, "Jared, you'll never be able to read a defense. Defensive coordinators are super advanced, perfect, and never make mistakes. There's nothing you can do. That's why I don't give two shits about the offense. Just stand back there and pray that some defender forgot to tie his cleats."

Last edited:

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Experience. We didn’t have it at this level and now we do. Jared Goff will bounce back and be better than ever.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Goff's only 24 and will get better because that's what he has done since college.
I have no doubt Goff will master the mcvay system and be a coach on the field in time....The keyword being "time"
I'm 100% confident he'll lead this team to multiple superbowls in his career and win.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

He was a four year starter at Cal and set multiple records, for the record.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He should be able to read defenses just like Brady who has 19 years of NFL experience. What a bum.
Brady's basically their OC, having had the benefit of running the same Erhardt-Perkins system since day 1 of his career. Must be nice to have basically 2 offensive coordinators for your entire career (Weis, McDaniels) and really only needing to implement small evolutions of the system to keep pace with the way the game evolves offensively. It's really the only thing I admire about that Franchise. No matter who comes and goes, the system remains. Hell, for a couple of years there, they didn't even have an offensive coordinator.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Brady's basically their OC, having had the benefit of running the same Erhardt-Perkins system since day 1 of his career. Must be nice to have basically 2 offensive coordinators for your entire career (Weis, McDaniels) and really only needing to implement small evolutions of the system to keep pace with the way the game evolves offensively. It's really the only thing I admire about that Franchise. No matter who comes and goes, the system remains. Hell, for a couple of years there, they didn't even have an offensive coordinator.
I didn't know what the hell they were doing on defense, and I just heard an analyst say they ran looks, an sets that they haven't done all year..... I still hate the Patriots with every muscle in my body, but they got us in this one. They got us good.

To your point, I totally agree, and their HC, has proven over the years, to have the best system, of all time. If we can even, ever be mentioned in the same sentence, as a franchise, we should be honored.

As far as Goff is concerned, I have seen a lot of growth, in his 2 1/2 years, and I have no reason to expect, to see him continue to grow, or, you know what I mean.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
And we shut down their offense for 3 1/2 quarters until Brady made the throw and gronk made the catch. Goff came right back and made the throw and, unfortunately, cooks didn’t make the catch. If he does Goff would be being praised right now but alas it is what it is.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didn't know what the hell they were doing on defense, and I just heard an analyst say they ran looks, an sets that they haven't done all year..... I still hate the Patriots with every muscle in my body, but they got us in this one. They got us good.

To your point, I totally agree, and their HC, has proven over the years, to have the best system, of all time. If we can even, ever be mentioned in the same sentence, as a franchise, we should be honored.

As far as Goff is concerned, I have seen a lot of growth, in his 2 1/2 years, and I have no reason to expect, to see him continue to grow, or, you know what I mean.

They played more M2M than any other team this year. In this game, they came out and played the sort of zone defense the Bears used against us. We got fooled, and McVay didn't do enough to adjust (or adjust until it was too late).

One other noteworthy thing is that Belichick was using dummy calls for the defense before the snap with them not settling into their actual defensive look until right after the snap. It was a brilliant plan. It had us confused all night.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
They played more M2M than any other team this year. In this game, they came out and played the sort of zone defense the Bears used against us. We got fooled, and McVay didn't do enough to adjust (or adjust until it was too late).

One other noteworthy thing is that Belichick was using dummy calls for the defense before the snap with them not settling into their actual defensive look until right after the snap. It was a brilliant plan. It had us confused all night.
Hell of a game plan. I watched the game as a fan, and I haven't had the stomach to re-watch and break it down. I don't know if I ever will, but I hope I can. In fact, I tried to watch it today, but couldn't, then I deleted it. Lol. Thanks.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The media are morons. I don't care how much NFL experience some of those guys have, it doesn't make their opinion on players or the game at large any more informed than that of a dude sitting in a bar. In fact it seems to me that in this twitter type era with the clickbait type approach by many of them their takes on players and the league in general are worse than many fans.

I am enjoying a hiatus from all media coverage of the Rams right now. Because I don't need those effin morons to tell me what I have with my team. They can go suck a <bleep>.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Peyton Manning was one and done 9 times in 15 playoff appearances including his first three trips there. Nobody here should worry at all about Jared, let the process happen! His first three games in his playoff career were bad.

19-42 227 0-0
17-32 194 1-0
14-31 137 0-2

Absolute trash!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The media are morons. I don't care how much NFL experience some of those guys have, it doesn't make their opinion on players or the game at large any more informed than that of a dude sitting in a bar. In fact it seems to me that in this twitter type era with the clickbait type approach by many of them their takes on players and the league in general are worse than many fans.

I am enjoying a hiatus from all media coverage of the Rams right now. Because I don't need those effin morons to tell me what I have with my team. They can go suck a <bleep>.

i'm on the same boat. i haven't watched a single sports show since the game ended and won't until free agency begins. i did the same after the falcons gave the cheats a superbowl win and it worked out very well. getting away from media talking heads lets my mind get refreshed for the next season.

i will always read this forum though. best thing on the internet.